• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Navi an orb or a tiny person?

• Orb

Votes: 381 37.3%
  • Traditional Fairy

Votes: 640 62.6%

• Total voters

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Up until Ocarina of Time, Zelda's fairies were your run-of-the-mill traditional "tiny woman with wings".

800px-TLoZ_Link_and_Fairy_Artwork_2.png

Come Ocarina of Time, however, we were introduced to Navi with a close-up, and she's depicted as a flying glowing orb with wings.

OoT3D_Navi_Artwork.png

I assume this was done for the sake of performance - Navi is on the screen quite often and it'd be wasted resources to render polygons when a simple sprite would suffice.

But since then we've seen this style of fairy show up again and again, even when the hardware could probably render a proper tiny fairy. Like this one, from Breath of the Wild:

BotW_Fairy_Icon.png

So, do you perceive Navi, and similarly depicted fairies, as glowing orbs, or as fairies that are giving off a strong amount of light?

Give me your answers to this incredibly pressing and important question in the poll above.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought there's a normal fairy underneath and she's just really glowy, not literally an orb

As proof look at the great fairies

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It could be one of those interchangeable lore things like Zoras becoming Ritos but wait now Zoras and Ritos coexist... aka try not to put too much thought into it.

FWIW I prefer the orb design.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's just a glowing fairy, like a little Tinkerbell but glowing very brightly.

I PREFER if it's just a glowy orb of light with wings though. I think it's cuter.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, there's this early OoT art which depicts what is presumably Navi and she looks like a Hanna Barbera character

6845232593_7aca91ede4_o.jpg

Whether you factor this into your Orb vs. Tiny Person opinion depends on whether you take it as canon

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In hyrule warriors, companion fairies have the ability to show up both in the orb of light form and the more traditional fairy form. So I assume all fairies can have both if they so wish.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The bigger question is: through what manner of biology, magic or whatever, are the wings attached to a theoretical ball of light energy?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I assume the orb is just a generic glow of light that was used for easier modeling back when Ocarina of Time hit, and I suppose the design stuck depending on the game.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I think Navi was likely depicted as a glowing orb for performance reasons but the design became so iconic they just kept it despite more powerful hardware.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I always assumed the orbs was just an abstract way to represent the fairy because the graphis of the N64 weren't really good enough to make a little creature look detailed enough and also without being distracting since Navi is a gameplay mechanic

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I love the orb wing design. The generic fairy design is dull. So I guarantee she's just a generic fairy obscured by light so life can kick me in the nuts in a new and original way.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume she has a body, otherwise they should probably be called wisps.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
They're "real" fairies, just shown as orbs with wing for graphical simplicity. N64 hardware was a thing. The fountain fairies aren't canonically grotesquely shaped leaf monster beasts, but that's what they look like in game. You have to use your imagination.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Navi's naked, that's why you only see the glowing light.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They probably drew inspiration from Tinkerbell
Z40apnR.jpg

She makes bell sounds like Tinkerbell, too.

Link was inspired by Peter Pan.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I have a saying I like to use:
"What I see in the game is canon" and I mean it literally. Concept art looks cool but the way everything looked in Ocarina of Time is what it was, on face value. That's why I love how in Metal Gear Solid 4 they didn't try to re-render the events of the previous games in the flashbacks, they simply showed them as they were, because that is the truth.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It was a lot easier to render and animate a ball of light back then. #TeamActualFairy.