• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Navi an orb or a tiny person?

• Orb

Votes: 381 37.3%
  • Traditional Fairy

Votes: 640 62.6%

• Total voters

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Koizumi:
-Yeah. But I was a designer, so I didn't want to use such a simple marker. I wanted to make something else, so I came up with a fairy. After all, it was The Legend of Zelda.

Iwata:
-So first you went to make a marker, and later you made the fairy?

Koizumi:
-Right. Usually, if you were to make a fairy, you would make a cute girl, but that wasn't possible with the Nintendo 64 system, so I just made a ball of light with wings.

Iwata:
-Uh-huh.

Koizumi:
-I called it the Fairy Navigation System, took it to Osawa-san, and asked, "How's this?" He immediately said, "Let's name it Navi." Because she navigates! (laughs)

Iwata:
-Osawa-san called on his simple naming sense. (laughs)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/3

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
There are different kind of fairies, hyrule warrior has them all represented, they added these fairies you can get and they are humanlike, but there are also the navi type, those that heal you.

Basically Navi is a glowing orb with wings

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There are different kind of fairies, hyrule warrior has them all represented, they added these fairies you can get and they are humanlike, but there are also the navi type, those that heal you.

In the actual battles, all fairies are displayed as the glowing orbs as well. This is more evident in the 3DS version, where it doesn't do the close-up when using their big power like the Switch version does, but it's in both.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
For what it's worth, there's this early OoT art which depicts what is presumably Navi and she looks like a Hanna Barbera character

6845232593_7aca91ede4_o.jpg

Whether you factor this into your Orb vs. Tiny Person opinion depends on whether you take it as canon
Impa looks way cooler here.

Also, #TeamOrb

ocarina_of_time____navi_by_onisuu-d6a4bcg.png

Does that look right to you?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fairy obscured by light. They tried actually showcasing the fairies in Wind Waker but I feel like the orb look just became too iconic and also makes for a good cursor.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Easier to model than having a fully modeled tiny person with you at all times.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team orb subscribes to Arthur Conan Doyle's interpretation of fairies of just being a luminous cloud of color rather than being a tiny little person that flies.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the orb style per se but I wish they'd switch back to the little winged human form for a while. It's more interesting imo.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously a fairy, which various games have shown. No reason to think they'd cease to have a physical form between games. And Nintendo doesn't have the writing chops to even consider such a lore detail. But maybe if enough people bitch about it, they'll adopt it like they did the whole fan-written timeline.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
My own personal theory is that they were originally normal fairies and just displayed as an orb because of technical limitations, but now they decided that they are indeed orb-fairies. There are other races of fairies that are not orbs.
I also prefer to imagine the orb-fairies as orbs.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they are supposed to bet tiny winged women that glow. What I don't get is why great fairies are so weird looking in Wind Waker:
normal_Great-Fairy-Queen.png

And the Fairy Queen is even worse:
49-499396_queen-of-fairies-queen-of-fairies-wind-waker.png

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Those human fairies are all orbs of light outside of the my fairy menu in the 3DS version, and in the switch version they are orbs of light while in bottles.