• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The sad ending was for Jon... and Dany? Mostly all the rest were saved or got cool stuff. I mean, Sansa, Bran, Tyrion...

Seems pretty happy ending to me. For a show that was famous for killing their own protagonists, this seems really tame.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When the best part of the final season are the fucking memes mocking the shit-tier writing, you have failed on an epic scale. Nothing is tied up because the ending was rushed for no good reason.

D&D are cancer.

I hate that I've aparently become a defender of what was a completely lukewarm, flawed final season, but do you have any self-awareness of how ridiculous and unnecessary it is that you are calling out the showrunners "cancer"?

How about making a judgement that it was rushed for "no good reason," despite knowing nothing about the behind the scene factors behind the actual decision itself? What exactly can you tell me about running a television show? What is your resume, and how would you have balanced filming with actor negotiations and scheduling and managing creative control with suits at HBO who want to see the show go on forever?

Contrast this with the fact that I have also heard nothing but actors talking about how grateful they are to have worked on the show, how long they had to commit to filming in dreary weather away from their friends and family for much of the year, and the enormous human toll of putting this show together on a crew of thousands. For eight years. These people are all enormously grateful to get to move on with their lives, proud of what they have accomplished together, and yet fans (Ironically? Unironically? Probably both) are asking for them to come back and give them the ending they want.

So maybe I'm just too old for the internet now, but the hyperbole and toxicity really grates on me. By all means voice your criticisms! That's not what this is about. The ending could have been so much better! But calling the showrunners "cancer" (so gross) does nothing but reinforce this senseless, meaningless entitlement on the part of "fans" whos only contribution is consumption or critique of someone else's creative output.

Its not enough to be disappointed, no, it must be torn down.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hate that I've aparently become a defender of what was a completely lukewarm, flawed final season, but do you have any self-awareness of how ridiculous and unnecessary it is that you are calling out the showrunners "cancer"?

How about making a judgement that it was rushed for "no good reason," despite knowing nothing about the behind the scene factors behind the actual decision itself? What exactly can you tell me about running a television show? What is your resume, and how would you have balanced filming with actor negotiations and scheduling and managing creative control with suits at HBO who want to see the show go on forever?

Contrast this with the fact that I have also heard nothing but actors talking about how grateful they are to have worked on the show, how long they had to commit to filming in dreary weather away from their friends and family for much of the year, and the enormous human toll of putting this show together on a crew of thousands. For eight years. These people are all enormously grateful to get to move on with their lives, proud of what they have accomplished together, and yet fans (Ironically? Unironically? Probably both) are asking for them to come back and give them the ending they want.

So maybe I'm just too old for the internet now, but the hyperbole and toxicity really grates on me. By all means voice your criticisms! That's not what this is about. The ending could have been so much better! But calling the showrunners "cancer" (so gross) does nothing but reinforce this senseless, meaningless entitlement on the part of "fans" whos only contribution is consumption or critique of someone else's

I mean, people have invested a lot of time on the show. It's been 8 years. Watch the internet explode if one piece, berserk or hxh get a crappy, rushed ending.

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

So maybe I'm just too old for the internet now, but the hyperbole and toxicity really grates on me. By all means voice your criticisms! That's not what this is about. The ending could have been so much better! But calling the showrunners "cancer" (so gross) does nothing but reinforce this senseless, meaningless entitlement on the part of "fans" whos only contribution is consumption or critique of someone else's creative output.

Holy shit this post is like nirvana for me. Everything I want to say, better than I could ever say it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the scene where Jon kills Dany wasn't hard to watch at all! It just happened and it felt like nothing. Other than episode 2 this season was just lacking any kind of emotional intensity. Everything just felt like a giant shrug.
I guess to each their own, I thought it was pretty powerful and yes, hard to watch.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The final season was rushed, that's the problem. Not what happened to the characters, but how suddenly. Sloppy, careless, undercooked.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You can disagree with whatever you want, but I'd also encourage taking a moment to consider whether your comment will actually contribute in a meaningful way to the topic at hand, or if it's better suited to one of the (very) many threads already touching on your point.

There's no meaningful discussion to be had in the topic. The topic is based around the OP trying to use an actor's shallow comments to deflect people's legitimate criticism towards the show. If people who enjoyed the show don't want to hear people complain about it maybe stop making topics about how actually it was a good season when the points in the OP have already been gone over to death in other threads.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
What ? It makes sense to kill turbo hitler with a dragon if you could

Because his character is the true bad guy and in 10 years (show time) they'll realise how fucked they are? lol

tenor.gif

OP
OP

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
There's no meaningful discussion to be had in the topic. The topic is based around the OP trying to use an actor's shallow comments to deflect people's legitimate criticism towards the show. If people who enjoyed the show don't want to hear people complain about it maybe stop making topics about how actually it was a good season when the points in the OP have already been gone over to death in other threads.

Not my intention at all, but thanks for participating!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel the show had an incredibly happy ending. Most things went well for characters even when it didn't make sense. A soldier who spearheaded the murder of innocent people gets to live on an island with his solders who did the same. All your favorite characters get to be council to Tyrion, another fan-favorite, and Bran. And all the Starks get what they want.
Yeah, except for Jon, who also seemed more melancholic than distraught about going north, it ended pretty damn well for all the characters. Hell, the North even got its independence without anyone complaining

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
People getting personally offended at insulting a bunch of showrunners who are at best completely ignorant of rape, sexism, homophobia and racism. Wew lad.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
You know witnessing the reaction to this admittedly poor GOT season is giving me Star Wars preuqal flashbacks all over again. I just hope no one who worked on GOT is almost forced to commit suicide like Jake Lyold and Ahmed Best were because of unrelenting nerdrage fueled harassment.

Yes this season sucked but it still is only a TV show. Throw your passion into more improtant things people like politics, climate change, your physical health, etc.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Life doesn't have neat, happy endings; it is ambiguous and ultimately inconsequential. To end Game of Thrones with uncertainty is perhaps the most honest way to end a story so vast and complex — and that uncertainty is what we all feel as we begin our life after Thrones."
This is such fucking bullshit. The Starks got the most cliched happy ending imaginable and so did the side characters. I understand he's trying to stick up for his show, but there is no way getting around it, the writing was fucking garbage.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Very well written and I like the points he brings up.

The the execution is far more muddled then the actual endings and resolutions. And of course Jon did the right thing lol. I wasn't left questioning that at all.

If they had written Dany's turn better, as I imagine GRRM would if he lives as long as Bran, then presumably readers will empathize with and understand both their choices and result in a real sense of conflict.

Honestly, with the way he talks about it, I truly wonder if they think something translated to the screen that just isn't there for a lot of us.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dany's death scene was some of the best acting and cinematography of the series. Each scene in the finale had an air of contrivance about them because the whole ending got rushed, but taken on their own, they were executed quite well. The finale's flaws aren't what happened or how those events were portrayed IMO (except some cringe out of place humor in the council scene perhaps), but that not taking the time to get there properly led to a feeling of it all being contrived and a highlight reel.

I will say Tyrion finding Cersei and Jaime was dumb, as emotionally impactful as that scene may have been.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People getting personally offended at insulting a bunch of showrunners who are at best completely ignorant of rape, sexism, homophobia and racism. Wew lad.

Oh, whew, thank you for calling me out. I've seen the light.

Instead of constructive criticism and a little empathy, namecalling is definitely the way to go about voicing our discontent and promoting a healthy forum of conversation online. This is definitely how we should talk about everything from now on and there was never any reason to even bring it up – you're right, and I was wrong.

With that in mind, theres simply no room for nuance between being "personally offended" and personally attacking the showrunners. Upholding civility is simply too easy to mistake for defending a bad season of television. If we don't call the showrunners cancer, they might not understand what they did wrong.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm. I think that's one of the more popular character endings in the entire show.
Bran and Hodor were certainly odd. They were very different characters from the rest of cast. Bran becoming the stoic strange guy who eventually becomes King seems fitting. He'll basically just sit around saying very little as a figurehead, continuing to be odd. He'll let his appointed guard run the kingdom. It's kinda a shame that Hodor isn't still around to be odd with him.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very well written and I like the points he brings up.

The the execution is far more muddled then the actual endings and resolutions. And of course Jon did the right thing lol. I wasn't left questioning that at all.
I think what Jon did was rash.

Cersei killed scores of people and went on to rule unfettered. What Dany did was reprehensible but she could've been held accountable in a more palatable way.

Tryion and to a lesser extent, Sansa expedited Jon's decision. Dany's death was premature and abruptly tarnished her legacy.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ok. There's a lot of other threads where those sentiments have been expressed countless times already. This is more about understanding what the shows means to the people involved with it.

You can't post an article with an analysis of the ending marked out and highlighted and then tell posters "No, you can't discuss it like this, you have to discuss it the way I want to".

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dave and dan are incredibly shit people. There is a lot. Of dirt on them and the stuff they did behind the scenes. I'll post it in a minute.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think what Jon did was rash.

Cersei killed scores of people and went on to rule unfettered. What Dany did was reprehensible but she could've been held accountable in a more palatable way.

Tryion and to a lesser extent, Sansa expedited Jon's decision. Dany's death was premature and abruptly tarnished her legacy.

I mean she committed a comically evil number of war crimes there dog

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
You know witnessing the reaction to this admittedly poor GOT season is giving me Star Wars preuqal flashbacks all over again. I just hope no one who worked on GOT is almost forced to commit suicide like Jake Lyold and Ahmed Best were because of unrelenting nerdrage fueled harassment.

Yes this season sucked but it still is only a TV show. Throw your passion into more improtant things people like politics, climate change, your physical health, etc.

You are really buying into the more extreme side of this hate stuff. Nothing wrong with being passionate about this stuff at all but of course there needs to be a boundary. Things like a petition are really stupid when we have actual problems that need attention in the real world but again-- these people are extreme cases-- most disappointed with this will just move on to the next big thing.

To imply you can't be passionate about x if you're passionate about y is just silly. People should find things that interest them and be passionate about it. Even if it's a TV show.

If they had written Dany's turn better, as I imagine GRRM would if he lives as long as Bran, then presumably readers will empathize with and understand both their choices and result in a real sense of conflict.

Honestly, with the way he talks about it, I truly wonder if they think something translated to the screen that just isn't there for a lot of us.

That was my issue. When Jon killed Dany he killed a character that was swapped out by an imposter an hour ago. The jump off the deep end with her was so drastic and short-lived that I really didn't feel the impact that scene should've had. That paired with Kit and Emilia not having any chemistry and me never really buying their relationship to begin with... It just didn't resonate with me.

So while I get what he's writing here. It didn't move that way in motion and that's unfortunate.

Dave and dan are incredibly shit people. There is a lot. Of dirt on them and the stuff they did behind the scenes. I'll post it in a minute.

Whoa, what? Aren't one of these dudes married to Amanda Peet? I thought that was random lol.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally losing my mind anyone thinks people are upset that it wasnt a happy ending or ambiguous when its virtually the happiest ending to a show I've seen in recent memory. Literally everyone but westeros Hitler got everything they wanted and to live happily ever after.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that the show never mentioned that Bran could live over 1,000 years 😂 a ruler that would be in power longer than the whole Targaryen lineage with god like power to go back in the past, mind control and spy. It somehow feels like an even worse fate for the people of Westeros.

The Night King was truly the hero of the show. He was trying to stop the shit show that we have now. I'm under the impression that his objective was to stop the three eyed raven because of this very thing. I'm not buying this happy ending bullshit.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean she committed a comically evil number of war crimes there dog
So did cercei.

Also Geneva conventions have no part in this fantasy tale. Having said that, she should've been tried for her crimes instead of abruptly being murdered. You cite war crimes yet you are ok with the death penalty that was informally carried out by Jon?

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
This was an excellent piece. Particularly liked this line: "Bran becoming king is a victory for the still and considered people of this world, who too often get sidelined by the commotion of those who are louder and more reactionary. "

Sadly, some of the posts in this thread prove his point.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. There's a lot of other threads where those sentiments have been expressed countless times already. This is more about understanding what the shows means to the people involved with it.
And yet you chose to quote the one passage in the article that will surely result in more neverending arguments over Dany's turn.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally losing my mind anyone thinks people are upset that it wasnt a happy ending or ambiguous when its virtually the happiest ending to a show I've seen in recent memory. Literally everyone but westeros Hitler got everything they wanted and to live happily ever after.
Jaime and Cersei wanted to be crushed under the weight of a collapsing building? Jon wanted to stab his girlfriend to death and live in exile from his family?