• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly bad news for the series. Aya Kyogoku was the other director who came in during City Folk and she's still in Nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where he will go. And I wonder if Aya Kyogoku will be the sole director of the next game.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Uhm... I'm not feeling confident in Animal Crossing Switch... New Leaf was utterly great and revitalised the franchise.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
What does this say about a potential new Animal Crossing game? If he was working on it having a key person leave before the game is announced doesn't bode well. If he wasn't working on it, is that because they don't have a new AC in development, or is a different team working on it? After they nuked the old AC website months ago I thought for sure that we'd be hearing shortly about a new one.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think given the development philosofy of nintendo, one person leaving doesn't say much

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Animal Crossing is in urgent need of modernisation. The core game is great but the user interface has always been clunky. It needs a proper reimagining. Bring on new blood to deliver that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Isao Moro is not the original series director so it's not the end of the world. In fact, if I have to be honest I think with him directing City Folk I don't think his merits are too impressive. New Leaf had Aya as co-director and it was better imo. The city in CITY Folk was just a bastardization of Animal Crossing's unique design; by putting a lot of the random elements into a hardlocked space you could visit at any time, not to mention that the city is completely static without the joyous systems that the town offers, so it felt inorganic and artificial visiting it every time. New Leaf understood that and rightfully cut the scope of the city portion down and added a better more "hygge" flavor to it.

And even Aya isn't end all be all. The original director will always be the one who best understands the core of the franchise and they're proven twice that they can mostly retain it entirely without him, due to Aya and Moro taking the reins in the more recent iterations.

Even if it was Pocket Camp's director AC Switch could still be a charming and eventful game with good vibes, even if it would likely end up feeling like it was built for grinding. I don't know exactly how much of Pocket Camp is designed as it is due to corporate mandate on mobile development, but going by other spinoffs like Happy Home Designer I do worry that there are staff at the helm of the franchise who, similarly to Capcom and Resident Evil, just don't see Animal Crossing for anything but it's aesthetic, but it is important to me that whoever makes them understands that the game isn't about instant gratification or outright grinding, but being in the moment and slowly growing over time with no rush.

Oct 25, 2017
Information about personnel movements in Nintendo's internal development teams is so rarely available that I don't think we can accurately infer anything significant from this, neither in cause nor in impact. It may just be a personal move after a long time at one employer that we wouldn't even have noticed otherwise.

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder what Isao Moro's plans are now. He's been Director for the majority of Animal Crossing games now, if not all of them. The iOS and Android ports might be a sign of a change of direction for the series in the future. Alternatively, the "students" are now old enough to handle the series in the same light, and Isao Moro is simply moving on to other things.

Either way, it's always a sad day to hear a Nintendo resignation.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I would trade Smash for a new Animal Crossing right now, fight me
I don't want to fight you. I want to hold your hand and run through a village, waving to friends and laughing merrily. I want to trade items with you, collect sea shells on the beach and lovingly grow a field of flowers. I want what you want. The right thing.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the next Animal Crossing is done and maybe he's just done with Animal Crossing and wants to do something more mature or just got a better offer elsewhere.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does this say about a potential new Animal Crossing game? If he was working on it having a key person leave before the game is announced doesn't bode well. If he wasn't working on it, is that because they don't have a new AC in development, or is a different team working on it? After they nuked the old AC website months ago I thought for sure that we'd be hearing shortly about a new one.
It means Animal Crossing is doomed, he is laughing at everyone begging for AC Switch in relishment. Nintendo will also only be able to make Animal Crossing Survive now that every single talented member with creative ideas has abandoned them in disgust, high chin, and despising nature as a protest to Nintendo for not making Animal Crossing a multiplat title because the Switch is holding back games

Animal Crossing is dead

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing just shot himself in the foot.

For real though it was one co-director. I have faith in the rest of the team to make something great without him, and I hope he finds success wherever he works next.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Aya Kyogoku. But ultimately this doesn't mean that much for the series anyways so it's all good.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Nothing. And the producers are still there, everything is fine.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's not like animal crossing is going anywhere. It'll have new iterations. New blood might even help as the series really has barely evolved since it's inception.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
He was the lead director not co-director. Nogami and Kyogoku were the producers.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw a lot of non japanese employees leave nintendo over the years, but that must be the first time since gunpei yoko that i saw a japanese employee leave nintendo before retiremeent. But i also remenber that the animal crossing team was never thrilled about the idea of making a f2p version prior to nintendo entenrinr the mobile space. Maybe this is a reflection of that.