• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Big Apple 3AM
Was watching a playthrough of Detroit: Become Human, and saw this notification occur and immediately thought back to the beginning of this generation and the hordes of fear-mongering about 24-hour check-ins and being locked out of games that people "owned". Along with all the politics that were at play and Sony's capitalization at Microsoft's bad press.

unknown.png

Is this common, and has it affected your opinion at all of the Sony/Playstation Brand?

It's the non primary console gameshare edgecase. Just activate the console and it will go away.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Is this common, and has it affected your opinion at all of the Sony/Playstation Brand?

No, and from my experience it didn't even have anything to do with being online or not. The very few times this popped up for me, I was actually online.

Hasn't happened to me in years and I think when it did, it was a primary/secondary console thing fucking up (have two consoles at home and gameshare with my SO)

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
That happens if you're using a PS4 account other than on your primary PS4 and it hasn't checked in due to being disconnected or PSN being down. You see it happen in professional LPs sometimes because that's usually the only use-case for that sort of thing.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's the non primary console gameshare edgecase. Just activate the console and it will go away.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That happens when you share your account with another console so you can share games, as far as I remember.

OP
OP
Arc Christelle
Oct 28, 2017
Big Apple 3AM
Can we get some context here or is this just some weird troll thread?
Basically SBFP got a notification on their PS4 that the game was going to be suspended in 15 minutes because they couldn't verify their ownership of the game. It's pretty straightforward. This was a concept a LOT of people were upset about when it came to the Xbox One.

That happens when you share your account with another console so you can share games, as far as I remember.

I can definitely see that if that's the case.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen that and have used my PS4 offline a bunch.

Is it caused by playing a game on a PS4 that is not your primary console, and then the internet dropping out?

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
That only happens if you lose internet connection and you are playing a game you downloaded from the PS Store while playing on a non-primary PS4.

Microsoft wanted a permanent internet connection with any type of games, physical or digital, even if it was your primary console.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
This is the exact same thing that can happen if you play a game on a non-primary Xbox as well.

Non-primary consoles must remain signed in to play digital games.

OP has no clue what they are talking about.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people really wanted some good guy vs bad guy story for last gen's launch and Sony fleeced the sheep throughly when they bought into it. That's how propaganda works.

The future for all media is digital. Both companies will use the same locked gates to control our content.

That said, they are likely game sharing accounts. When you do that you have to be online at all times on the non-home designated console. Xbox and PlayStation use the exact same rules on this.

If you want unrestricted access at all times while offline you must be on a console designated as your "home" system. Since most people are always online anyway they use this to share games with friends.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Basically SBFP got a notification on their PS4 that the game was going to be suspended in 15 minutes because they couldn't verify their ownership of the game. It's pretty straightforward. This was a concept a LOT of people were upset about when it came to the Xbox One.

SBFP? And it's not straight-forward, because you posted an image of this issue with absolutely no context. Didn't know if it was yours and you were confused or what.

This is probably happening because the PS4 in question isn't the primary one. Internet connectivity for non-primary consoles has been a thing forever. The 360 and PS3 did the same thing for digital games, same with the Xbox One. There's no controversy here.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I literally asked what is this for and got an answer in return. Even went out the way to include it in the OP.

Your post clearly had a console war agenda from your subject to how you worded it, hence the reaction you're getting. It had nothing to do with being confused as what it was, but rather, a chance to imply it was something that it was not, which you did heavily in a console war fashion.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you would own a ps4 you would know this. Ppl still claim that streaming and lets plays dont affect single player games.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this what most people were mad at Microsoft about?

Has it affected your opinion at all of the Sony/Playstation Brand?
Your agenda is very obvious here and this thread is embarrassing. It backfired on you completely and you even got called out by a developer. Truly lol.

You're thanking that poster for telling you that you lack common sense?

Last edited:

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
XBox originally planned to do this on both activated primary (home) and secondaries. Instead they rolled back pre-launch and both xb1 and PS4 function like 360's. Usually this is caught on boot and you can't launch, but it must periodically check, too

(Almost everything the PS4 does is "like a 360", which was a huge boon for most of this generation.)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while the OP has been properly schooled now, we shouldn't forget that people weren't only mad because Microsoft planned to have digital games with DRM that required you to be connected at all times.
They planned to have this as their ONLY model of game 'ownership' on the Xbox one. Regardless of whether you bought the "physical" version or the digital, regardless of "primary console" - their plan was that every game is a digital license that needs to be verified at least once every 24 hours.

(biiiig CMIIW on this please)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
And they had a fucking minority report camera that you had to pay for and they lied straight up and said it couldn't be removed.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
You are probably sharing an account and your friend changed Main PS4s so now you don't "own" the game

don't try to start nonsense

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
"PS4 will have DRM too guys, just wait."

Ah, memories. Still have no clue what MS was thinking with their initial XB1 plans.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just a primary console issue. Just make sure your console is set to primary, same thing happens on Xbox too.
And they had a fucking minority report camera that you had to pay for and they lied straight up and said it couldn't be removed.
and are still supporting and assisting ICE.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original concept of the Xbox One console required a log in once everyevery 24 hours to verify license. I do not believe it required a constant connection.

That said it looks like the current state of the PS4 is better than Xbox as far as secondary consoles. I recently had an issue with my internet dropping every 15 minutes for a minute or two. When this happened I would get booted out of my game. Minecraft with disconnect immediately while some other games would work if the outage wasn't too long. Once I got my cable modem fixed the issues resolved but I can honestly say right now that the current way Microsoft handle secondary consoles is kind of shity.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA

at the time, I think that might've been true? (I honestly don't know)

but that said, all I know is that Microsoft's engineering team, to pull off what they did in re-engineering the whole system architecture and DRM in the timeframe that they did it, is nothing short of a miracle. The technical achievement they pulled off there was something that got overlooked in all of that. So props to those dudes

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the exact same thing that can happen if you play a game on a non-primary Xbox as well.

Non-primary consoles must remain signed in to play digital games.

OP has no clue what they are talking about.
Makes sense back on ps3 you could load up entire library of games, deactivate and keep them. Then 6 months later repeate

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to trade games to friends or buy secondhand without paying a fee was the bigger deal.

AngriestPat

Oct 27, 2017
It was a goofy glitch caused by us still being signed into Woolies account or something from recording the former video. Nothing would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.