• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a sad situation. It sucks he died, but there's only so many warnings and barriers that can be ignored before it's squarely on his shoulders.

There is only 50 of them? Off topic I know but incest is gross. Guess it's okay to give em a pass yeah?

Isn't 50 far below the number needed to sustain a population? They're likely dying out. I think the number that was calculated for space missions is something like 160 people needed to self sustain.

It's sad their tribe will die out and there will be no documentation of its history, culture, etc. I'd love to know how they see the world.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
There is only 50 of them? Off topic I know but incest is gross. Guess it's okay to give em a pass yeah?
Well, I don't really know what the world could do for them at this point.

We tried contact a bunch of times, we died. We tried taking them off the island, they died and the children that were sent back might have brought back a bunch of shit with him.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Murder is the only solution to them. Why the fuck would they waste resources looking after him as s slave or prisoner? They aren't stupid, they know what the modern world is and it's clear they want no part of it. I don't blame'em it's clear they know they're fucked if they make contact. Every other tribe has been eradicated. What future do they have? Living in poverty as their home is destroyed? We are the enemy to them, we'll destroy their very way of life. Dude insulted them, he violated their privacy and risked exposing them to disease. I don't have sympathy for him.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm obviously not going to defend the actions of the tribe, but the guy clearly knew that they were going to kill him if he insisted on going there. I feel bad for him in a way, but this is kind of like Grizzly Man where there was only one possible ending.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The unwashed must hear the word of his LORD jesus christ! Else they can't go to heaven, because the bible was tragically mistranslated, and maliciously edited from all of the older source material. So these poor fucks in the cult think they MUST do this as their job/duty. They've been groomed into it.

Inuit:'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?'

Priest: 'No, not if you did not know.'

Inuit: 'Then why did you tell me?'

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't really know what the world could do for them at this point.

We tried contact a bunch of times, we died. We tried taking them off the island, they died and the children that were sent back might have brought back a bunch of shit with him.

Nothing, it would make things far worse. Even if they didn't die from disease they'd be stripped of their culture. All the other tribes in the area are facing extinction now. Go ask them how contact worked out for them. Ongwe have had their homes destroyed and their populace are alcoholic's now slowly fading away.

I'm obviously not going to defend the actions of the tribe, but the guy clearly knew that they were going to kill him if he insisted on going there. I feel bad for him in a way, but this is kind of like Grizzly Man where there was only one possible ending.

Why not? They are defending their home from an invasion. They don't know what he wants, or who he is but, as far they're concerned he's here to do them harm. Where 1 comes, more will follow.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Missionary or not, they aren't looking for sympathy anyway.

And thankfully in his previous unsanctioned, illegal trips, he didn't infect the tribe with anything.

RIP and all that.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That shit was self defense. Them T-Cells got rid of a virus.
Speaking of immune responses, there might be an argument to be made about how this guy's presence in itself could be super dangerous to the health of the island's inhabitants. Think about what happened to the Mayans, but on a smaller scale. I'm not saying that excuses this dude's murder, but he really should have thought this missionary trip out some more unless he wanted to put these people on the fast track to meeting Jesus one on one.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't you fuckers just be normal?

Lol.

Stepping out of this thread with a final thought. I feel sorry for the next generation of this tribe. With science advancements we should all (except for the tribe in question) know that the sustainability of said tribe is at its end. That's not fair to them in my opinion.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess they got his body back to verify all of this? Did it just float back or what?

nvm
the fishermen later saw the tribespeople dragging his body around."
The police haven't independently verified whether he is dead, but based on what the fishermen have told them believe that he was killed.
"We have a team out in the waters for reconnaissance and to strategize how to recover his body. The team consists of coastal guards, officials from tribal welfare department, forest department officers and police officials.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine this behavior anywhere else? 'Sets foot in Norway' 'Gets an arrow to the throat and dragged around the streets'.

I mean, they aren't the only ones that defend their "borders" in terrible ways. Its easy to shit on them because they aren't connected to us, but seriously...

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I have zero sympathy. It would be one thing if he showed up by accident.

He aggressively pursued a protected people (who have an existing history of killing intruders) that wanted nothing to do with him or his God. He went out of his way to go around authorities that specifically forbid contact for this reason, as well as the possibility of wiping them out with something as simple as the common cold.

Play stupid games, yadda yadda yadda.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I could say it's sad that a young guy died if the circumstances where different and he wasn't invading a foreign land to convert people and possibly spread diseases to them by accident.

Skii

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate commentary, history of inflammatory posts, account in junior phase.
Good, he deserves it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the church won't be deterred in its mission to export homophobia to these poor lost souls.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, he deserves it.

He was incredibly stupid, but he didn't deserve it. You know what his intent was. Preaching. Which is bullshit but it's not an intent of violence.

Therefore he can both not deserve it but still be called out for the idiocy that led to his death. Ideally he would have been taken away before dying but he kept persisting. Probably on some deranged path thinking God was instructing him.

Think before you post such a hot take.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's fascinating how they don't have fire. I wonder if a lack of thunderstorms (or perhaps an overly humid climate) prevents fires from occurring naturally, making the people living there unlikely to "discover" it.

Nov 21, 2017
Not a good situation. An idiot went to a hostile tribe and got what was expected. This group killed two fishermen whose boat strayed toward the island. RIP and condolence to the family.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll never know.

I wonder what they think of the garbage that floats to their island.
deuses-devem-estar-loucos.gif

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, he deserves it.
This is a bad post and you should feel bad for having posted it.

Did this guy do something stupid? Yes, absolutely. Did he deserve to die for it? No, and there is something wrong with you if you think so. This is reminiscent of Otto Warmbier, who definitely stepped out of line but didn't deserve the consequences that followed.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did this guy do something stupid? Yes, absolutely. Did he deserve to die for it? No, and there is something wrong with you if you think so. This is reminiscent of Otto Warmbier, who definitely stepped out of line but didn't deserve the consequences that followed.
Otto wouldn't have killed off a whole tribe. This dumb fool would have ended up killing at least 1 person.

"Deserve ain't got nothing to do with it" - Snoop Pearson

Skii

Oct 28, 2017
He was incredibly stupid, but he didn't deserve it. You know what his intent was. Preaching. Which is bullshit but it's not an intent of violence.

Therefore he can both not deserve it but still be called out for the idiocy that led to his death. Ideally he would have been taken away before dying but he kept persisting. Probably on some deranged path thinking God was instructing him.

Think before you post such a hot take.

These replies reek of American privilege and arrogance. You don't have any right to go to another culture and try to dictate what they should do. I don't give a shit if he's on some divine path set by god. He deserves to face the consequences of his sheer recklessness.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
The weird part he picked out these specific peoples knowing what they would do to him. He didnt just stumble upon North Sentinel Island... he must have heard/read stories and still went.

Such a avoidable pointless death. He could have missioned to any place in the world practically and lived to tell about it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These replies reek of American privilege and arrogance. You don't have any right to go to another culture and try to dictate what they should do. I don't give a shit if he's on some divine path set by god. He deserves to face the consequences of his sheer recklessness.

No he doesn't have a right, but you revelling in bloodlust stating someone deserves to die isn't a good look.

Its not hard to say it would have been better if the consequences of his sheer recklessness had ended in a pacifistic way rather than dropping by with little more than "glad he's dead, fucker deserved it".

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
No he doesn't have a right, but you revelling in bloodlust stating someone deserves to die isn't a good look.

Its not hard to say it would have been better if the consequences of his sheer recklessness had ended in a pacifistic way rather than dropping by with little more than "glad he's dead, fucker deserved it".

I wouldn't go as far as saying he deserved it, but his carelessness could have resulted in the death of all these people, because they lack the immunizations we have. Endangering the lives of dozens of people just because you want to invade your culture onto them is about as shitty as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.