• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

From Gaza:

"I live in a 70-metre apartment with my wife, children and my grandsons in poverty," Abu Ezzat al-Burai, a 58-year-old protester who lives in Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, told Al Jazeera.

"We don't have a future in Gaza - our future is in our original lands."

The Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli land, sea and air blockade for more than a decade.

Some 80 percent of the population is dependent on humanitarian assistance, while the Strip experiences regular power outages and high unemployment. It has been dubbed as the largest open-air prison, with Palestinians needing Israeli army permits to enter and exit the Strip.

"We do not need negotiations or aid from the UN. The path is clear. We want to return back peacefully to our lands without bloodshed, tanks or bombs," al-Burai said.

From Israel:

"The people in Gaza know it's dangerous to go close to the fence, they've been warned by the Israeli army that doing so endangers their own life. They know there will be live ammunition," says Gadi Cohen, 82.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
It's freaking terrible and no one is really paying attention.

Also, causalities are deaths, I thought I missed a major escalation, should fix that before people think that many people were recently killed

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Not to imply I am backing Israel or Palestinian, but can we get the title changed so that "casualties" to wounded? Even with the fatalities number provided, my first thought was that I'd somehow I'd missed one of the worst massacres in recent memory.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Jesus Christ at the typo in the OP. I was thinking "how in the Hell is no one covering a massacre as large as the WTC".

Anyway, this is still absolutely horrible.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is the kind of thing that needs international intervention, not in-fighting in a hostile country where you helped prop up both sides. The palestines deserve a home and peace without intrusion, and unless someone knocks on Netanyahu's front door, they are going to be too small a population too fast.

Oct 26, 2017
I've read reports about the incident described in the OP as "Israeli snipers celebrating shooting an unarmed protester" and that's not what happened.

Edit: from your own link:

The soldier who recorded the shooting, the military added, was not part of the unit that fired on the unarmed protester and now faces punishment for "unauthorized filming" and "distribution" of the video. The banter and comments heard on the recording, the army said, "do not suit the degree of restraint expected of IDF soldiers and will be dealt [with] by commanders accordingly."

Your description made it sound like the same soldiers shooting were also celebrating, and that the IDF was only sorry they were caught on film.

Edit2: the recent incidents on the gaza border portray Israel in a bad enough light without needing to exaggerate what happened.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Not to imply I am backing Israel or Palestinian, but can we get the title changed so that "casualties" to wounded? Even with the fatalities number provided, my first thought was that I'd somehow I'd missed one of the worst massacres in recent memory.

Depending on your definition of recent, i'd say this qualifies as one of the worst massacres (outside of a warzone) in recent memory.

Israel keeps staining their flag with the blood of innocents. Fuck the Likud and its supporters. They are worse than Trumpers.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember this when Israel shills day "where is the Palestinian MLK/Gandhi?!?!" These people are literally doing nonviolent resistance tactics and the settler colonial state just kills them.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The apartheid state continues to prove the world it never should have been founded.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The United States of America is complicit in the attempted genocide of the Palestinian people by their Israeli masters.
Sounds like they have quite a bloodbath going on there. Bet Trump wishes he could do the same thing to protesters on his own turf.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting display of brutality.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The United States of America is complicit in the attempted genocide of the Palestinian people by their Israeli masters.
Sounds like they have quite a bloodbath going on there. Bet Trump wishes he could do the same thing to protesters on his own turf.
Well the Americans did the same thing to the natives. As Humans we can be seriously evil creatures. Horrible.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something is very wrong over there.

Edit: just saw the video of the isreali sniper cheering as he killed a random guy in a field.........

What the fuck.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear

The Yanks have their fingers all over the worst shit going on there. Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya and the treatment of Palestinians.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shhh we can't talk about Israel.

Let's talk about Syria instead.

Let's control the mindset.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While casualties are obviously regrettable, large details seem to be omitted here.

Just today an explosive device and firebombs were thrown towards the border, that sounds more like an attempted invasion than a peaceful protest:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-gaza-protesters-hurl-explosives-firebombs-try-to-damage-fence/

None of those images look remotely peaceful, there's smoke from burning tires, rocks, explosives, all a few hundred metres away from Israeli villages. I'm not sure what people expect the Israeli army to do here, ask them nicely to please stop it? Give up and let a violent mob run towards Sderot or some of the smaller villages near the border?

I'm fully aware that life in Gaza mostly sucks, but isn't Hamas 95% to blame for this? I don't see how a violent riot accomplishes anything but PR points that make Israel look bad (which is fairly clearly the reason why Hamas organised these riots).

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the Americans did the same thing to the natives. As Humans we can be seriously evil creatures. Horrible.
The vast majority of the American Genocide occurred well before any significant "American" colonization. Not defending what was done, and over how long a period, but the Spanish were bigger monsters and disease was the primary cause.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Israel is led by a brutal and criminal regime that doesn't mind killing civilians if it means a political blow to Palestine.

This is known to most people outside the US.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While casualties are obviously regrettable, large details seem to be omitted here.

Just today an explosive device and firebombs were thrown towards the border, that sounds more like an attempted invasion than a peaceful protest:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-gaza-protesters-hurl-explosives-firebombs-try-to-damage-fence/

None of those images look remotely peaceful, there's smoke from burning tires, rocks, explosives, all a few hundred metres away from Israeli villages. I'm not sure what people expect the Israeli army to do here, ask them nicely to please stop it? Give up and let a violent mob run towards Sderot or some of the smaller villages near the border?

I'm fully aware that life in Gaza mostly sucks, but isn't Hamas 95% to blame for this? I don't see how a violent riot accomplishes anything but PR points that make Israel look bad (which is fairly clearly the reason why Hamas organised these riots).

They could use tear gas?

They could fire warning shots?

They could not snipe journalists?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017

Why is it either let mobs damaging villages into Israel or kill them with snipers?

They're damaging a damn fence. That's what this amounts to. "Violent" riot, okay. Burning tires, rocks etc. thrown hundreds of meters away from any Israelis who are sitting there in safety killing them.

For some reason other western countries have invented this thing called non lethal weapons for riot suppression. Israel doesnt care. They welcome the chance of the Palestinians trying to get out of that open air prison and use it to kill and injure many of them because they can.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Israel is led by a brutal and criminal regime that doesn't mind killing civilians if it means a political blow to Palestine.

This is known to most people outside the US.

The west will do absolutely nothing against it.
The longer i life, the more depressing i get about our so called values and protecting of human rights message, too many conflicting messages and actions are said or done by our leaders.

As long as you're a western ally or a country that kisses the ring you can do whatever you want, ignore human rights no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.