• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Why were they flying a drone there in the first place? Considering the volatile nature of the region, what even take that chance?

And to what end would flying a drone at all reach?

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Difficult, sure. But arguing in good faith no matter the subject is far superior to arguing in bad faith. Bad blood begets bad blood, whether you like it or not.

Otherwise, don't get involved, and invest your energy in some other positive goal.

Sometimes I wonder whether mods shouldn't just grant privilege to certain users (who have proven to show a command of respectful rational discourse) whenever a thread like this comes along.

The privilege being up for grabs might even encourage this sort of discourse in general. Reward good behavior, I say!

No, they shouldn't and no it won't. The Israel-Arab relations is a very muddy situation where both sides are plagued in terrible reputation, history, and justification for their actions.

Only the Palestinians are the true victims here and are used by the Arabic side who don't really care about them, only that Israel is the belligerent. U.S should force Israel to accepting a 2 state solution. I am with Israel against Syria and the rest though.

How many morons actually believe that Israel didn't start the 6 day war. Jesus Christ it was a war of aggression so Israel could expand its borders. Stop saying this shit. You start a war and lose land so it's justified.

As far as everything I know regarding the 6 Day War, it wasn't started by Israel just to expand borders. Both sides were mobilizing forces as well, so even if what you are accusing Israel of at that time is true, it would be hard to prove as they had justification for it.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what reason does israel have to be involved in syria? why are they against syria for you to be with them?

Enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing. Iran using Syrian territory to do this, Hezbollah and Hamas also allies with Syria. Then there is the fact that Assad is a brutal dictator. I understand though that Israel isn't really against Syria itself, more so Iran right now.

My point is, any conflict with Syria, I would back Israel on. I am biased. lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing. Iran using Syrian territory to do this, Hezbollah and Hamas also allies with Syria. Then there is the fact that Assad is a brutal dictator. I understand though that Israel isn't really against Syria itself, more so Iran right now.

My point is, any conflict with Syria, I would back Israel on. I am biased. lol
oh ok.

I understand Israel thinks Iran is an amazing threat but you can't be invading another sovereign nation's airspace to bomb Iranians. People would lose their shit if, say, North Korea bombed the Philippines because there are US soldiers stationed there.
So you support the Syrian goverment?
I find it amazing that folks forget what nuance is in political discourse.
No I don't support dictators but it's nice to see Israel lose face thinking they're some kind of air superiority in the ME.
That's definitely a loaded question.

They might be like me, and do not support Israel serving as a proxy Occidental nation-state in the Middle East.

Edit: yeah Keikaku and I are on the same page.
Yes. There was a lot of this on the old forum, where condemning terrorists forces in Syria that US was indirectly (or directly) supporting was seen as "supporting Assad". This isn't a black and white dichotomy. And I wish we would leave that mindset at the old place.
Syria has s400's. Likely the world's most advanced anti air system. The fact that they merc'd a f16 just sent a message.

Doesn't Russia control the airspace above syria?
Yes and apparently Netanyahu and Putin had a call very recently to discuss IAF actions in Syria. So I don't think they'll be doing that again.

Last edited:

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people (usually the Israel/IDF apologists) keep trying to make this an Israel vs Assad discussion. Assad is horrible, but Israel is 100% in the wrong. Israel has violated Syrian airspace a ton of times without hesitation time and time again.

Here's a custom Google search from the 1990 until early 2017 using the search term "Israel bombs Syria".

It should be clear to anyone that Israel has been getting away with breaking international laws on every front. It wants to hold others to a standard that it doesn't adhere to itself.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
There are reports coming out that there may have been more than one jet downed. Also there are reports that Israel lost an Apache helicopter. Waiting for more details.

Also, I'm not sure about the Iranian drone pretext. Usually Israel uses the pretext of mortar rounds coming from Syria onto their territory as a pretext. But we've seen phony pretexts before, including Sarin attack which spurned the US to bomb Sharyat base, which they nowadmitthey actually didn't have evidence ofdespite saying they did.

EDIT: Burns done goofed.

Last edited:

Dobby

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads on Israel serve zero purpose on ResetEra, just like how they served zero purpose on GAF.

They all transpire the exact same way. Someone gets banned, thread gets locked, repeat next week.

Just insta-lock Israel threads entirely. This community has not evolved through the transition.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Also, I'm not sure about the Iranian drone pretext. Usually Israel uses the pretext of mortar rounds coming from Syria onto their territory as a pretext. But we've seen phony pretexts before, including Sarin attack which spurned the US to bomb Sharyat base, which they nowadmitthey actually didn't have evidence ofdespite saying they did.

While it would be 100% IDF MO to fabricate a drone entering its air space, I'm not convinced this is the current situation. I did think so initially, because Bibi is currently fighting strong corruption allegations and a crumbling coalition, and waving his dick around with some IAF jets saved him from similar situations before. But subsequent events make it seem less than likely.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads on Israel serve zero purpose on ResetEra, just like how they served zero purpose on GAF.

They all transpire the exact same way. Someone gets banned, thread gets locked, repeat next week.

Just insta-lock Israel threads entirely. This community has not evolved through the transition.
i was a lurker on gaf, and only the gaming side, but how was the community supposed to evolve in the transition? was everyone supposed to become pro-israel?

While it would be 100% IDF MO to fabricate a drone entering its air space, I'm not convinced this is the current situation. I did think so initially, because Bibi is currently fighting strong corruption allegations and a crumbling coalition, and waving his dick around with some IAF jets saved him from similar situations before. But subsequent events make it seem less than likely.
in iran, the government is really anti israel (mostly just talk) but they have a base that would eat this stuff up. if they did send a drone there, and provoked them resulting in them losing a war plane, i'm sure i would have constantly heard the news yesterday and today of them claiming it as a victory and turning this incident into something big. they've largely remained silent, other than the initial denial.

Last edited:

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
There are reports coming out that there may have been more than one jet downed. Also there are reports that Israel lost an Apache helicopter. Waiting for more details.

You are 100% wrong.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
in iran, the government is really anti israel (mostly just talk) but they have a base that would eat this stuff up. if they did send a drone there, and provoked them resulting in them losing a war plane, i'm sure i would have constantly heard the news yesterday and today of them claiming it as a victory and turning this incident into something big. they've largely remained silent, other than the initial denial.
I don't know. It's very much possible that it's Bibi stirring shit, especially since now that Hamas and Fatah are reconciled he can't resort to the tried and true plan of "bomb Gaza". But the way things are unfolding does not seem to be clear cut and I'm just not going to make any assumptions. Both seem equally likely to me.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It's very much possible that it's Bibi stirring shit, especially since now that Hamas and Fatah are reconciled he can't resort to the tried and true plan of "bomb Gaza". But the way things are unfolding does not seem to be clear cut and I'm just not going to make any assumptions. Both seem equally likely to me.
assuming it did happen, are the israeli general population ok with their military being this trigger happy? sending a jet to bomb somewhere because a drone entered the airspace?

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Apologies for rooting for Israel's retaliatory response to Assad and his Iranian terrorist proxies.

Response to:

You start a war, you get rekt and lose a war, you lose land. Ask Nazi Germany.
Israel would probably give back that land if Syria signed a peace treaty. Egypt did exactly that a got the Sinai back. At least then Syria would have a legitimate claim in personal opinion.

"Iranian terrorist proxies." Man, what are you even saying? A country that has shown to have no respect for other people's borders (See Example A: Palestein) and land invades another country's airspace to shoot Iranian soldiers that were not even trying to attack them, due to a drone flying over them. Bit of an overreaction, eh?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
assuming it did happen, are the israeli general population ok with their military being this trigger happy? sending a jet to bomb somewhere because a drone entered the airspace?
In general, the IDF is a cultural consensus - You'll be pressed to find anyone in the political mainstream who will not support the IDF 90% of the time. That said, like pretty much anywhere these last couple of years, the Israeli population is very much divided - A lot of people here are not overly aggressive and would rather not have any incidents like that, even if they will, rather blindly, rally behind the IDF whenever anything goes down. So far our elections show that these people are not the majority, but I hope that will change.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In general, the IDF is a cultural consensus - You'll be pressed to find anyone in the political mainstream who will not support the IDF 90% of the time. That said, like pretty much anywhere these last couple of years, the Israeli population is very much divided - A lot of people here are not overly aggressive and would rather not have any incidents like that, even if they will, rather blindly, rally behind the IDF whenever anything goes down. So far our elections show that these people are not the majority, but I hope that will change.
i hope so too, mostly for the sake of palestinian people. but when a party and an ideology has the support of the majority, even if it's wrong, they're likely to just stay.

Can't blame me when there's no official retraction in the article - which is pretty irresponsible, especially for AP.

EDIT: Read the transcripts and Mattis is saying sarin has been used again since Sharyat. I don't buy that at all; it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. But Burns definitely goofed here.
That's makes sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't this make him look even worse because they took down a whole plane because of this? I am not sure what he is thinking as the man is usually "smart".

I am enjoying this salt he is producing.
it's hilarious that he's boasting about losing a jet that costs 100 million dollars (i think? according to a quick google search) over a (supposed) drone
what a massive overreaction
as people have said, this was likely a political move for him to ensure his popularity, while his financial corruption scandal is going on

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's hilarious that he's boasting about losing a jet that costs 100 million dollars (i think? according to a quick google search) over a (supposed) drone
what a massive overreaction
as people have said, this was likely a political move for him to ensure his popularity, while his financial corruption scandal is going on

About 18, maybe a bit more with some of the changes the IDF makes to them, but not a 100 million. Still, it's a lot more expensive than a drone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
isn't that the cost in 1998?
Could be, but I doubt it costs a 100 mil now, as the JSF (overpriced piece of junk) is about 47 Mil (and that is rumoured to be a low estimate).

It's also an older plane, all be it still a very good one, so I don't think it has risen that much in price.

That said, it still is far more expensive than an Iranian Drone.

Also, about the clip: Really shows that Netanyahu is in trouble, he's using this conference as a popularity contest so that his corruption charges don't seem "as bad". He's basically hijacking it, not very polite of him, but then... politeness and Bibi are not things that can go through the same door.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, about the clip: Really shows that Netanyahu is in trouble, he's using this conference as a popularity contest so that his corruption charges don't seem "as bad". He's basically hijacking it, not very polite of him, but then... politeness and Bibi are not things that can go through the same door.
i hope he leaves office soon.

Oct 27, 2017
did you watch netanyahu's speech? this man is such a populist piece of shit. he basically talks about iran for 30 minutes and blames all of world's problems on them

https://www.securityconference.de/e...atement-by-benjamin-netanyahu-followed-by-qa/
Yeah, the guy really wants the US and the world to invade Iran. Probably because it is the only country in the middle east that isn't bending for them.

Hopefully he gets removed before anything escalates.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Bibi should 100% get booted out of office.
But keep in mind the state of Israeli politics is so bad most other candidates will only be a marginal bit better if at all. So I wouldn't get over excited about the future, even in the best case scenario of Netanyahu going to jail.

Oct 27, 2017
Bibi should 100% get booted out of office.
But keep in mind the state of Israeli politics is so bad most other candidates will only be a marginal bit better if at all. So I wouldn't get over excited about the future, even in the best case scenario of Netanyahu going to jail.
True, with all the support Netanyahu got, it would be harder to get elected if you use a different political stance.