• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you still smoke cigarettes?

• Yes

Votes: 53 11.0%
  • Yes, not regularly

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • I have completely quit

Votes: 81 16.8%
  • Never been a smoker

Votes: 306 63.4%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
EDIT 3: Excuse my attitude writing the OP on this particular morning. Sorry for the judgmental commentary.

Original OP:
I'm shook that my company let's so many employees sit outside smoking in 2019. They sit out there wasting paid hours and lowering the health profile of our company, jacking up everyone's insurance.

It's probably allowed just because one of the owners smokes. He sits out there smoking all day almost.

The woman at the next cubicle is in sales and comes back inside and wheezes on the phone. She tries laughing but it's more of an out of breath sound.

This other lady had surgery so she said she quit smoking for that to heal better. She failed. Saw her smoking the week she came back after surgery.

I wish my company had incentive programs to get people to quit.

They either don't care, don't know how bad it is, or don't have the will to quit. Not sure which but all are not great.

It's the number one preventable killer in america. People love to pull "what about alcohol" or such like it's the same and it ain't.

If anyone needs help quitting, I encourage you to get control of your health. Try a simple google search or guides like https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/index.htm

Good luck. Hope you recover.

EDIT: some of you are making weird reaches... I don't think smokers are dumb people and I know it can take help or medicine... I literally linked the CDC assistance page because it can take help for some people

EDIT 2: Shevek mentioned Smoke Free app so here's an iOS link for those who want a tracker to see
Smoke Free - Quit Smoking Now by David Crane
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/smoke-free-quit-smoking-now/id577767592

Last edited:

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I have never smoked in my life. Never even taken a drag.

I like to drink though, so eh, I'm not going to judge anyone.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
no, i grew up with a smoker dad and being forced to smell the cigarette smoke in the back of a car with broken windows made me hate them for life. i did have a brief experience with cheap blunts tho in high school since i could get them from the dude next to my job without id.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I will have one every once in a while when I'm out drinking with friends. So seriously maybe like 2-4 a year.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, that's covered in the "will"

No. It's not. It's a physical addiction. You can't just "will" that away...or at least some people can't. Get over yourself.

Judge not, and all that. I'm sure you are the perfect specimen of health, but you don't get to judge other people for decisions about what they want to do with their own bodies.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Nah. I tried it a couple of times. Didn't taste good, didn't make me feel better or anything, only clothes, hair, fingers, and breath reeks of cigarettes, so I didn't know why I should waste my money on this.

In the company I worked I used to take my breaks as well with the argument that smokers do this the same. I usually went outside every two or three hours for five minutes or ten and was just sitting there, reading a book or eating something.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
No i quit. Though i do smoke hash.

Smoking is the dumbest addiction a person can have. It gives you NOTHING (aside from cancer).
Do something interesting if you have to. Smoking is not interesting. It's boring but highly addictive without any interesting or redeeming factor.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No. I have never smoked in my life. Never even taken a drag.

Twins.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
London
Tried it once or twice in the smoking area at bars and clubs, shit was gross and made my breath and clothes stink so did not do it any more. I had cravings to buy more after that for a couple of days which I did once and bought one more pack the day after for some stupid reason, then thought better of it and I just threw them away without taking any more. Now I know how people get addicted to nicotine

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Quit over 2.5 years ago. Cold Turkey after smoking since high school.

One of the best decisions I've made, but it took heavy willpower and commitment. Was a rough few months fighting cravings, but it got easier in time and now I never think of it anymore.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
No i quit. Though i do smoke hash.

Smoking is the dumbest addiction a person can have. It gives you NOTHING (aside from cancer).
Do something interesting if you have to. Smoking is not interesting. It's boring but highly addictive without any interesting or redeeming factor.

i smoke here and there. still get the little nicotine buzz.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Only when I drink with friends who also smoke

I shouldn't do it, but cigarette + alcohol is so good

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
No, and my last job actually drug screened for Nicotine at initial hire (the entire campus was smoke free, you would have to drive like 15 minutes to get to a place you could smoke), which is something I wish my current employer did as well. I hate that people get extra breaks just because they want to destroy their bodies

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I quit in march after 15 years. I've had a few here and there when out drinking with friends, but my habit is basically completely gone.

Having said that, the OP kind of comes accross as a self righteous prick. Quitting smoking is incredibly difficult. It's almost like adding another necessary (it feels like it) consumable to your life, and taking it away feels completely wrong. Like, thirsty, hungry, and need a cigarette are all similar feelings for me. I still get a weird sense of detatchment, and occasional cravings for it.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
It's a good stress reliever, at least in the short term. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives but to say it does nothing I don't believe is true.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I quit a couple of years ago after almost 10 years of smoking. Feels good not to be addicted anymore.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019. People vape now.

But no way in hell would I or have I ever smoked. Shit's disgusting.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I quit (100% cold turkey) January 7th, 2017. Haven't even take a single drag of a cigarette since then. Feels good, man.

(I had smoked regularly since 2004 when I was 17(

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No. It's not. It's a physical addiction. You can't just "will" that away...or at least some people can't. Get over yourself.

Judge not, and all that. I'm sure you are the perfect specimen of health, but you don't get to judge other people for decisions about what they want to do with their own bodies.
I think it takes willpower to overcome the addiction, I don't know how else to clarify
My company pays employees $2000 to quit smoking. I'm ... Shocked when people don't take them up on it.
how do they check people quit? A nicotine test?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

It's not quite so simple. Nicotine has been shown in many studies to significantly boost cognitive performance. It's still a nasty habit and smoking is one of the worst routes to administer nicotine, but there's a reason it's stuck around for centuries.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I smoked my last cigarette in early March 2012. Had been smoking for around 15 years and was a heavy smoker (around 20 per day, far more when I was drunk)
It's so good not being addicted to this shit anymore.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
smokers get basically guaranteed breaks. solidarity with workers.

hey OP, health insurance companies are raking in record profits quarter after quarter, year after year, while smoking rates are going down, and you're blaming smokers for rising healthcare costs? get a fucking clue.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it takes willpower to overcome the addiction, I don't know how else to clarify

It's one of the things, but it also often takes medications, counselling, a support system and other factors that many people lack. It's like saying the cure to any other disease is just "willpower"....well yeah, it's important to have willpower, but often you need medical assistance to deal with illnesses such as addiction. So again...maybe rethink your judgemental attitude.

Oct 28, 2017
It's 2019. People vape now.

But no way in hell would I or have I ever smoked. Shit's disgusting.

This might be irrational, but I can't stand public vaping. It's rife across Europe now and I can't walk down the street without someone blowing sickly sweet-smelling vapour in my face.

I think I actually prefer second-hand smoking, only because it weirdly reminds me of my father who used to be a chain smoker.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i've never been a smoker but honestly i don't have a big problem with smokers, it doesn't really bother me. what i HATE i the taste of a smoker's cum, it's just beyond gross.