• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you still smoke cigarettes?

• Yes

Votes: 53 11.0%
  • Yes, not regularly

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • I have completely quit

Votes: 81 16.8%
  • Never been a smoker

Votes: 306 63.4%

• Total voters

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Who on Earth is stupid enough to start smoking in 2019?I don't understand how smokers haven't all died off by now.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Nicotine addition is a hell of a thing. I wish I didn't but it is so hard to find the will to stop. I'm hoping one day it will finally kick in and I'll walk away.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah BAD, addicts are all stupid and weak. You nailed it.
Not what I said or believe
It's one of the things, but it also often takes medications, counselling, a support system and other factors that many people lack. It's like saying the cure to any other disease is just "willpower"....well yeah, it's important to have willpower, but often you need medical assistance to deal with illnesses such as addiction. So again...maybe rethink your judgemental attitude.
I don't think it's quite like "any other disease" as it's got significant psychological and behavioral components

But I provided a example link full of info about assistive solutions. I have no illusions about the fact people can need medicine and counseling. But you don't just take a medicine and it decides to stop for you... if you don't want to quit then you don't quit no?

I frankly don't think I've said it is easy nor did I say smokers are weak or dumb so people are getting a bit hostile with leaps.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Quit cold turkey a little over 2 years ago after having smoked about 10-12 cigs a day for 12 years. Didn't read a book, get advice - just decided one night during a drunken stupour that the cigarette I was smoking would be my last. Best decision I could've made at the time and haven't looked back since.

I didn't experience withdrawal symptoms nearly as badly as a lot of folks tend to report. Was still able to go to bars, hang around smokers at work and in public spaces, drink alcohol without getting intense cravings, etc. Biggest issue was waking up during the first two weeks drenched in my own sweat.

Its just been amazing to me how overcoming an addiction like this suddenly motivated me to begin various other lifestyles and hobbies. I feel like my smoking at the time was a substitute for a lot of other shit in my life that I should've been taking care of and getting involved in but wasn't doing.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that I installed this Android app called 'Smoke Free' that allowed me to track my progress and aim for milestones. Currently at 2 years 29 days smoke free :D

Oct 26, 2017
I've smoked maybe twice in my life. For me, there's no appeal, unlike with alcohol or weed. But I imagine cigarettes are a bit of a holdover from previous generations for some folk, seeing as people don't smoke anywhere near as often as they used to

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017
i've never been a smoker but honestly i don't have a big problem with smokers, it doesn't really bother me. what i HATE i the taste of a smoker's cum, it's just beyond gross.

nnn not Smum! ;lkjlkj (smoke + cum)

5e83cf9ee4.gif

Indeed™

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2019
Some days, it's a pack a day habit. Other days, I don't smoke at all. Took a week vacation with a good friend last year that doesn't smoke, so I didn't either so she wouldn't have to put up with the smell. Didn't bother me at all to go a week without them.

So really, I can take them or leave them. But I enjoy them, so eh.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I still wish Halifax went through with banning smoking from public spaces outside of a few designated smoking areas around the city.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I quit about 6 years ago. When we were trying to get pregnant, which we did. I had tried to quit a few times before but it was much easier knowing I had a daughter on the way. I love that I don't smoke now. I feel so much better.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely rarely depending on how cheap they are. Like one cigartte every 2 months rarely.

I'd probably like getting into vaporizers if they were used for something besides vaping lol. Can you just vape vitamin liquid or something

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ive smoked 7 cigarettes my entire life and have no desire or feel compelled to do it again anytime soon.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not what I said or believe

Your post made it sound like you legit racked your brains for reasons that people still smoke and somehow you never touch on how ridiculously addictive nicotine is or how shady the tobacco companies are. You just implied that smokers are ignorant and weak and shrugged.

You either don't know how hard it is to quit, or you don't care. Both are not great.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It's either smoke or Xanax. Choose one.

Or take down capitalism.

i've never been a smoker but honestly i don't have a big problem with smokers, it doesn't really bother me. what i HATE i the taste of a smoker's cum, it's just beyond gross.
A smoker kiss is the best thing I've tasted though. I do agree with the other assessment.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nope.

I'm a bit disappointed that my mother, who smoked all of my life and quit smoking for nearly a decade, started up again a couple years ago.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
OP has slowly become the most ridiculous pro-corporate poster on this board. You're worried about the health profile of your company? Get over yourself.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
My boyfriend still smokes. He hates it. I hate it. But he's addicted to them. He's tried quitting but he gets stressed a little too easily and when that happens, he reaches for his cigarettes.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
i smoke here and there. still get the little nicotine buzz.
a buzz? lol.. there is no real buzz. Just our brain sighing in relief.
It's a good stress reliever, at least in the short term. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives but to say it does nothing I don't believe is true.
Not really. t increases the heart-rate. Your addicted brain is just nagging until it gets its fix
It's not quite so simple. Nicotine has been shown in many studies to significantly boost cognitive performance. It's still a nasty habit and smoking is one of the worst routes to administer nicotine, but there's a reason it's stuck around for centuries.
Yeah because it's addictive.
There are FAR more interesting options.

Didn't know it boosts the cognitive performance so significantly though. Any studies?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
They either don't care, don't know how bad it is, or don't have the will to quit. Not sure which but all are not great.

It's the number one preventable killer in america. People love to pull "what about alcohol" or such like it's the same and it ain't.

I think your choice of words here are poor.You make it sound simple or easy to quit. As an addict myself, its not. And alcohol is no pretty princess on your health either.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I've quit cigarettes but I vape somewhat heavily. Like many people I've still slipped up a couple times, but I feel disgusted with myself after and don't slip back into the habit.

Please do not look down upon or judge people for this addiction. It's a horrible thing, and quitting is one of the biggest tests of will I've ever experienced. Like I said, even having "quit" I'm still reliant on the nicotine fix and physical sensation I get from vaping. This shit is no joke.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think your choice of words here are poor.You make it sound simple or easy to quit. As an addict myself, its not. And alcohol is no pretty princess on your health either.
I hear you, I think my bad morning made me cop an attitude and that's my bad judging by the replies I'm getting. Not sure if I should edit it down or preserve it as is, but apologies.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair it is frustrating when people are constantly not at their desk for smoke breaks when you need to get shit done. I don't want my time wasted by someone wasting their time.

Well, they are talking about the companies health profile and has made some other comments in the past. Personally, I don't care if someone smokes. I've used it to my advantage in the past.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
No. I never understood the appeal of being addicted to leaves.

People seem to think I think smoke though judging by the amount of beggars who ask to bum a cigarette off of me.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
They sit out there wasting paid hours and lowering the health profile of our company, jacking up everyone's insurance.

It's probably allowed just because one of the owners smokes. He sits out there smoking all day almost.

The woman at the next cubicle is in sales and comes back inside and wheezes on the phone. She tries laughing but it's more of an out of breath sound.

This other lady had surgery so she said she quit smoking for that to heal better. She failed. Saw her smoking the week she came back after surgery.

smokers get basically guaranteed breaks. solidarity with workers.

hey OP, health insurance companies are raking in record profits quarter after quarter, year after year, while smoking rates are going down, and you're blaming smokers for rising healthcare costs? get a fucking clue.

ill quote you one more time here OP, I know you responded already and I hope it was just a bad mood like you said. I'm just making a point that most people use there breaks to smoke and I highly doubt the 5-whatever amount of smokers on your insurance are jacking it up like ReAxion said.

The way you talk about these smokers above, you make it sound like they are scum on earth and should have the sense to just "will" power away addiction.

Nov 28, 2017
I smoke sometimes, usually when I go out for coffee or beer.
I know it's unhealthy, but I don't care. We're all gonna die, so I'd rather enjoy my life on my own terms than avoid every single thing that is unhealthy.
All those self-righteous people shitting on others for doing something enjoyable will also die, but after living a miserable life of constant fear.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because it's addictive.
There are FAR more interesting options.

Didn't know it boosts the cognitive performance so significantly though. Any studies?

Addiction is a part of it, but nicotine is a stimulant, people smoke because they do feel a short term benefit. I'm not saying that smoking is good, just that the Allen Carr line of thinking isn't scientific.

Plenty more stuff on Google.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
OKC
got addicted when I was around 15, smoked until I was 23, quit for two years, started back up when I was under extreme stress with life stuff, and haven't really been able to quit since (30 now).

Combination of it being really hard to quit and also me actually enjoying smoking. It's a gross habit, but its even harder to quit when you actually still enjoy it. All my friends are smokers as well, so it's hard to avoid.