• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you still smoke cigarettes?

• Yes

Votes: 53 11.0%
  • Yes, not regularly

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • I have completely quit

Votes: 81 16.8%
  • Never been a smoker

Votes: 306 63.4%

• Total voters

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Lung cancer statistics:

Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK, accounting for 21% of all cancer deaths (2016).
Around a third (32%) of people diagnosed with lung cancer in England and Wales survive their disease for one year or more (2010-11).
5 in 100 (5%) of people diagnosed with lung cancer in England and Wales survive their disease for ten years or more (2010-11).
79% of lung cancer cases in the UK are preventable.
72% of lung cancer cases in the UK are caused by smoking.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/he...tistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/lung-cancer

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quit cold turkey 2 years ago, it sucked real bad for 2 weeks as I got nauseous, had some bad heartburn and difficulty breathing, after that though the hardest part was filling the time I went out and smoked with other activities.

The key is to be not be around people who smoke during those first 2 weeks.

Also the OP is super condescending

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Stupid habit I picked up on my party days, but once I chilled out I stopped smoking.
Got a vape pen once, before the juuls, and that became a habit too that I had to quit.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Used to smoke black-n-milds (only had maybe 1 puff of a cigarette in my entire life and it made my throat feel like asphalt)

I quit years ago and will never go back, although they smelled delicious....

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Addiction is a part of it, but nicotine is a stimulant, people smoke because they do feel a short term benefit. I'm not saying that smoking is good, just that the Allen Carr line of thinking isn't scientific.

Plenty more stuff on Google.
Thanx!
No we agree smoking is super bad. But i never experienced any benefit in all those years. Will check out those Nicotine studies.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped after 26 years.

QMHPX0C.jpg

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Cut down from 10 a day to around 5 a week (sometimes none).

Doesn't help when you're trying to lose weight and smoking helps suppress my hunger (not sure whether that's a scientific fact or not, just happens with me).

Everytime I've stopped smoking for a month or so, I've put on weight. Yeah, could be substitution...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Unfortunately yes, started smoking around when I was 19, so 16 years already. I did quit for about 3-4 months because of health concerns, but slowly started to smoke again more and more. I really should quit and it's often on my mind, I'd also save atleast 150 (or closer to 200) a month if I did, which is great deal of money for me. And of course most importantly there's health. But money definitely is a strong incentive to quit too, while the tax on tobacco just keeps rising (which I'm fine with).

I do find complaining about smoke breaks during work bit silly and rather petty, just take a break yourself. It increases productivity, mental well-being, creativity and if you don't (hopefully) smoke you can use that time for something healthy like bit of exercise if you're sitting a lot.
The key is to be not be around people who smoke during those first 2 weeks.
When I quit (for few months), I also quit cold turkey. And I had no problems at all to be at other people's company who smoked. I started to smoke again on my own time, when it turned out there was nothing particularly wrong with my health. But yeah definitely can be hard trying to quit when others around you smoke, it's easy to bum one and that how it starts again (or never ends to begin with).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I do.
Thanks for the condescent tone though. Sorry if people taking smoke breaks piss you off that much that instead of asking for breaks to everybody else (something that is beneficial to all involved) you go on a rant about how inconsequent smokers are and how they're ruining the economy.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yes. And no I don't get anymore breaks than anyone else and have never had anymore breaks than anyone else.

I'll quit eventually but it's pretty much my only vice other than drinking like once or a couple times a month.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
You pay an extra $140 a month for health insurance if you smoke at my company and there are still smokers. It is incredibly addictive.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
It's really great with a beer or after a spicy meal. I smoke 1-2 cigarettes once in a while on the weekend. It's never been more than that for me, and I often go several weeks without doing it. My wife actually likes how I smell when I smoke, but wouldn't want me to do it more often than that.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah. I might have a cig while drunk once or twice a year and I smoke a joint or two a month, but it's never appealed as a habit.

The thought of spending 50 quid a week on fags makes me feel ill.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You make a great point about the smoking effecting healthcare costs. That and obesity I always think of with healthcare packages or in other countries with universal care. It's a difficult line to draw though. Like wouldn't you also get mad at people who drink pop and eat fast food for the same reason?

I'm a pretty healthy guy but that's because my work is outside. I still drink stuff I shouldn't (mainly because I hate coffee so a Mountain Dew Ice or uptime is easier and tastier if I do need caffeine once or twice a week though) and get fast food when I work late.

Tough to draw a line where you say "you're making this worse for all of us" and their personal freedom to live how they want. If we had universal health care I might be pretty peeved when I see the obese smoker though even though it would hopefully reduce the rate of those if they didn't have healthcare costs driving up their stress levels

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Only when im out drinkin, about twise a month or so i buy a pack

Used to smoke on the regular for years and years but not anymore

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Never smoked. Had roommates and coworkers who do and I've never, ever gotten used to the smell. I absolutely hate riding in an elevator with someone who just came inside from a smoke break and what would waft in after my roommate coming in from the balcony. Most of them are so acclimated that they don't notice that they even smell, but it's stifling.