• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not the Sindel scene although that scene is stupid but there's one that stands out to me as really dumb. In Smoke's chapter, Raiden gets a vision of Cyborg Smoke and saves him from his fate but a chapter later, Sub-Zero's in the same situation and Raiden.... does nothing. Just stands there and lets them take him because he can't save him. What do you mean you can't save him? You're standing right there! Just zap them!

This was the beginning of Raiden doing really dumb things.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah is stupid but obviously MK is nowhere near as the cinematic masterpiece that was Mortal Kombat 4.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Not the Sindel scene although that scene is stupid but there's one that stands out to me as really dumb. In Smoke's chapter, Raiden gets a vision of Cyborg Smoke and saves him from his fate but a chapter later, Sub-Zero's in the same situation and Raiden.... does nothing. Just stands there and lets them take him because he can't save him. What do you mean you can't save him? You're standing right there! Just zap them!

G1Pxclo.gif

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Nothing beats them summoning something called a soulnado and having it be an unironic threat.

It sounds like something from a Kung Pow-esque parody, but it is taken 100% at face value and treated completely seriously.

It's at that level where it's so stupid it becomes hilarious, and at the same time you get weirdly invested with what's going on, which also applies to most of MK's storytelling in general.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a recent video with Ed Boon and he says that Raiden is prone to moments of incompetence. Seems pretty intentional.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sindel turbo-killing half the roster in one scene is still hands-down the worst, even if Raiden is the dumbest god in existence.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Not unlike Sonya and Sub letting Ermac blow Jax's arms off when they're standing right there.

Doesn't matter what scene you pick, you're still right. Mortal Kombat is the dumbest.

I love it.

MK is dumb, but there are boundaries in the dumb that should not be crossed. The one in the OP isn't one, but the Sindel one is.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing beats them summoning something called a soulnado and having it be an unironic threat.

It sounds like something from a Kung Pow-esque parody, but it is taken 100% at face value and treated completely seriously.

It's at that level where it's so stupid it becomes hilarious, and at the same time you get weirdly invested with what's going on, which also applies to most of MK's storytelling in general.

Any writer actually giving a shit would have officially called it something like a "spectral vortex", and have Johnny Cage yell "How do we stop the friggin' Soulnado?!" as a joke.

Mortal Kombat gloriously gives no shits about anything. If it did it would've stopped saying Shirai Rye Bread.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I want to point out that if a scene was stupid 8 years ago there's extremely slim chances that it's not stupid today. ☝️

Also yes, MK is super silly but we all know that it's all about in the end.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Well, the difference was saving smoke was in isolation (no witnesses) while Sun Zero had just been captured on the Main stage in outworld in front of Shao Kahn, the leader of outworld, who just said it was ok to take sub zero. Attempting then would be raiden breaking the rules and (probably) invalidating the tournament since he can't fight unless challenged.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the difference was saving smoke was in isolation (no witnesses) while Sun Zero had just been captured on the Main stage in outworld in front of Shao Kahn, the leader of outworld, who just said it was ok to take sub zero. Attempting then would be raiden breaking the rules and (probably) invalidating the tournament since he can't fight unless challenged.

They don't stop Liu Kang from freeing Kitana.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I thought this would be about the part where you HAVE to beat Sonya Blade as Johnny Cage in order to advance in the campaing, all because she punched him for sexually harassing her

Tragic

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the gif of Raiden getting pushed around by Liu Kang and crew like it's an elementary school yard. Haha

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
You wanna know what's even worse than some of the dumber moments in MK9? Characters dying in their own endings. MK4 had Reptile and Baraka die in their own endings in that game. Work that hard to beat Arcade mode, only to see your favorite character take an L...