• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok so we've had back and forth threads but it's gotten muddy so I got a reply on a mod report I made saying I can make a thread to directly address this lack of confirmation.

Earlier I posted sources that show no one at Xbox themselves has claimed all your Xbox One games will be playable on Series X. Let me highlight Phil's quote a few weeks ago (Link below) making this seem even less promised:

`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.

Then someone made a sort of reaction thread quoting a member here who is verified and from "Xbox" initially saying today "Every single game" would work that works on XB1. But he didn't mean to confuse and updated us with his sources, which are the Xbox blogs below that don't explicitly say 100%/all/every. He added the following:

I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.

So we are left with the original sources below that had a thread earlier but were locked up in the confusion:

But then I thought, have I been too generous with reading Xbox's comments too? I had.

They haven't promised every game. They have said Xbox One games will work, but not every game. "Thousands" but not all. From the blog a few weeks ago:

`Backward Compatibility – At Xbox, we've made a promise to compatibility: you can expect thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, your Xbox One gaming accessories, your Xbox gaming legacy, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to work with Xbox Series X. Backward compatible games will benefit from the power and performance of Xbox Series X, resulting in steadier framerates, faster load times, improved resolution and visual fidelity. Fans and game creators can feel confident they will be able to play and create the best.

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...

I'd love to read this as promising all Xbox One games work... but that blog post doesn't go quite there. There's legal outs like saying "thousands."

But ok, you read my skepticism and think "he's crazy, it's promising every Xbox One game on day one."

I dug more and found Phil said this last month:

`"I'm trying it. It's in active development, sometimes it reboots. Not all the games today are completely compatible. We're working through our list of approved games on it. You can see what I'm playing; there's tons of games that work," Spencer said.

www.gamespot.com

Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Discusses How "Tons" Of Games Are Already Backwards Compatible With Console

Phil Spencer has been using an Xbox Series X as his daily console, and says that lots of previous Xbox games are now working with the new system.

A pretty clear comment that they have to approve the games.

So I'm begging someone to show me I'm wrong and that Phil said this week EVERY or ALL Xbox One games.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's in active development, sometimes it reboots

this is keywords here. It's not confirmed because the OS is being updated on something said one day or even in the morning can change by the end of the day. Regardless they are basically saying maybe 3 games won't work at the launch but will work later on.

Same reason literally no 1st or 3rd party developer should be taken 100% about the "SPEED" of either system. No games have gone gold on either platform so we will not know nor will any developer know how the games perform with optimizations etc.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
The denial is real and I can't see the reason behind it, it is full BC as MS have stated time and time again.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
www.xbox.com

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Discover the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever with the Xbox Series X.

"Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

Think. Breathe. It'll be okay.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I understand why you wanted to make this thread, because people have been saying how xsx is going to have 100% bc day 1 and its just not true. Some games will need patches and some will have glitches. It's impossible to have software emulation 100% right at day 1. However this will devolve into the same stupid shouting match as all the other console comparison threads. People will take pr notes out of context and all sorts of other bullshit.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess time will tell. All of their messaging has been everything that plays on xbox one, plays on Series X. If that doesn't happen, people will be upset.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately I'm going to have to agree that they've been careful in their wording even if the goal is 100% BC or close to 100% BC as possible with everything playable on XB1.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Also Phil 100% does not have enough time to test thousands of games other people who don't have social media do.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
backwards man
giphy.gif

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.xbox.com

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Discover the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever with the Xbox Series X.

"Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."
This reads as very handily not saying it. As we very well know, that first sentence doesn't mean all games from all gens are promised - many games from old gens didn't make it through despite the nice wording.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a long road until these consoles come out. No need to do reactionary stuff or anything. Both consoles are gonna be great.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Huh wow I was sure he had said every game that works on Xbox One would work on XSX.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2019
Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually mad at Sony for allowing this to happen. Had they actually announced the damn thing without so much vague language, this wouldn't be a thing.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
They will never be able to say all games work because all games would mean games that require Kinect games would work and that thing has been left in the rear view mirror. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the One X even has a port for Kinect.

Also some of the 360/Original Xbox games can be denied BC by the publisher/rights holder in case they want to sell you a remaster.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
what the heck, I go into a Sony thread and the SDF comes out and defends Cerny's "wording" now we question Phil's "wording" that he didn't promise ALL or next to impossible. I think Phil knows he has to deliver or else, and he'll move heaven and earth to make it 99.99% close. Regarding PS5 BC, well that's on Sony PR not clarifying better.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Phil Spencer said:
Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before.
The implication of this quote implies ALL existing games on Xbox One are playable (within reason, such as games the require Kinect or something).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft have said multiple times almost every game will work. You repeated the same quote twice but it doesn't mean what you think it means. It's still in development so of course every game doesn't work yet. It even mentions thousands of games which will be mostly Xbox One games since there's not that many on 360 or OG Xbox back compat.

I don't see how this thread is nothing more than fanboyism to push some message against Xbox.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
This reads as very handily not saying it. As we very well know, that first sentence doesn't mean all games from all gens are promised - many games from old gens didn't make it through despite the nice wording.
I think it's pretty clear they're saying that stuff that works on Xbox One will work on Xbox Series X. This is in no way similar to Cerny's presentation in which the wording can be interpreted two different ways because of poor wording. You know, just because things aren't so clear with your console of choice doesn't mean you need to drag the other console with a clearer message in that regard down to the same level.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
He's stated in other interviews and other people from Xbox have already commented. Everything on Xbox One now will run on Series X. It's a priority for them and they've messaged it a lot of times. It's a reach to wonder if they will make it or not because he's talking about how its being developed and tested.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
SpartyCrunch said:

Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too
hot

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
All Xbox One titles and accessories/pheripherals will be BC on XSX from Day 1.

X360 and OG Xbox One titles won't be all, but it will be the same curated BC list we already know at least.

All of this will run better, a lot of this will run and look noticeably better, and possibly all SDR-only titles could be automatically upconverted to HDR on XSX.

They confirmed it multiple times using multiple channels by now.

/thread

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hopefully all of the games I have right now. Or at least the big boys like RDR2, AC Origins and Oddysey, And so on.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's pretty clear they're saying that stuff that works on Xbox One will work on Xbox Series X. This is in no way similar to Cerny's presentation in which the wording can be interpreted two different ways because of poor wording. You know, just because things aren't so clear with your console of choice doesn't mean you need to drag the other console with a clearer message in that regard down to the same level.
I literally buy every multiplatform game on Xbox One X and have Game Pass Ultimate so let's not.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt here for those titles, but my point still stands the the implication of the quote is that its full backwards compatibility.
If it works on Xbox One X, it will work on Series X.

XBX is a different SoC design with no ESRAM too, closer to the Series X. So if it works there, with their software model, it will work on XBSX.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Let me parse this thread: Sony warriors are shook.

Can we all just drop the dumb console warring?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
If only some people put as much effort into just enjoying what both systems will bring instead of this crud.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
So this is how bad it's gotten? This is one day after the PS5 news lol. My god at what the coming up months it'll look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.