• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Neither company will be able to guarantee 100% compatibility. Microsoft is better at this, but the reality is that they're probably still testing and tweaking exactly the same as Sony. Sony just did a terrible job explaining what they mean.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually. Everyone saying that XSX will play EVERY Xbox game at launch will it crow!

However, can everybody please stay calm, and wait! I bet that within the first year of both consoles you will be able to play the majority if not all BC games.
Just like previous BC, each game will likely need to be approved by publishers.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually. Everyone saying that XSX will play EVERY Xbox game at launch will it crow!

However, can everybody please stay calm, and wait! I bet that within the first year of both consoles you will be able to play the majority if not all BC games.
One gave a day 1 answer.
The other has an ambiguous blog post about it.

Idk, one messed up the PR, the other one didn't.

So we are down to threads claiming that "all previous console" is somehow equal to "top 100 of 4000+"

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually [/].

They've never said that, no.

Everyone saying that XSX will play EVERY Xbox game at launch will it crow!

Except for Kinect games, yes.

MS made this bet easier for you. You just have to hope Sony follows through.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Just like previous BC, each game will likely need to be approved by publishers.

I could have sworn I saw an interview at the beginning of the 360 BC effort, that 360 games were licensed to be run and sold on the 360, but starting with Xbox one, it was about the xbox platform, and it takes out that approval need for future BC.

I cannot find it though. Do we know that publisher approval is required for Xbox one games to be brought forward? Is there confirmation of that?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Well Kinect games wont be backwards compatible so of course they can't say 100%. But Microsoft has a clear message of making most games backwards compatible (thousands) vs Sony "some of the top 100" at launch!

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Neither company will be able to guarantee 100% compatibility. Microsoft is better at this, but the reality is that they're probably still testing and tweaking exactly the same as Sony. Sony just did a terrible job explaining what they mean.
Have yall at PS tried to reach out to see if they would clarify so more people don't get confused or really anything? Because this is pretty bad to let go on for 2 days now.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Xbox employee on this very forum.

Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
People are defending Microsoft as if Sony isn't planning to support EVERY PS4 game eventually.
In other threads, too many people argue that it's hard and that Microsoft only managed to make such strides by devoting an entire team to it and sticking with it. Sony had the same opportunities, hasn't put in the effort and hasn't stuck with it. It'll remain to be seen what happens going forward, but I can understand why people are a bit shaken at Sony's handling of backwards compatibility thus far while being more forgiving of Microsoft's shortcomings in that sense. Microsoft has clearly shown more interest in backwards compatibility in this console generation and looks to be continuing on that path. If Sony's so confident, then Sony should get out there for everyone to see without leaving people to mull over Cerny's unclear statement on the matter during his presentation. Sony's silence up until the point of Cerny's presentation doesn't help matters.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Well Kinect games wont be backwards compatible so of course they can't say 100%. But Microsoft has a clear message of making most games backwards compatible (thousands) vs Sony "some of the top 100" at launch!
What if I have a Kinect port to USB adapter? Which I do. Kids gotta play Fruit Ninja!

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn I saw an interview at the beginning of the 360 BC effort, that 360 games were licensed to be run and sold on the 360, but starting with Xbox one, it was about the xbox platform, and it takes out that approval need for future BC.

I cannot find it though. Do we know that publisher approval is required for Xbox one games to be brought forward? Is there confirmation of that?
This is how I understood it as well.
Also since games are doing more with screenshots/game clips/music&sound in game clips the new gen it would require that approval or whatever too.
Unless i understood it wrong but it was definitely something along those lines that I remember maybe phil saying in an old interview, might have been during the OG Xbox BC reveal

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled why anyone would believe that games wouldn't require compat-patches and tweaks etc. I'm sure Microsoft will be in a better position with it next gen as they've had a great head-start with it, but is the consensus really 100& compatibility out the box?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But SpartyCrunch also later said this. That's what the entire thread is about lol.

SpartyCrunch said:
I'm repeating what Xbox Wire and Phil have publicly said is the goal. 4 generations of compatibility and your games all come with you. I'm not on the team and am not confirming anything that hasn't already been confirmed.

I don't doubt the XSX will have widespread BC, but the OP is highlighting how Microsoft has not expressly promised all games will have BC yet.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's BC will be a lot better than Sony's dollar shop approach but it still won't be 100%. Remember no console has ever had 100% back compat with its predecessor.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What if I have a Kinect port to USB adapter? Which I do. Kids gotta play Fruit Ninja!
Well Microsoft did say all Xbox One peripherals are supported, so there is a chance using the USB adapter! But it might be a situation where you can plug in the Kinect and it only works for voice activated commands (if the Series X has any voice command support) and none of the games are certified for backwards compatibility.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Remember we had that OT for all the parody threads to go into so users would stop posting them?

We need a quarantined thoughts OT

STOP THE MADNESS ERA MODS

PLEASE

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't even know why we're continuing discussing this.
I mean... can the thread be closed now if it's coming straight from an xbox employee.
Literally no one reading the OP, huh. He walked it back after and I quoted it in the beginning of the OP. Come back with someone else from Xbox.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
If the drivers aren't part of the OS it won't work.....why would you think it's plug and play?
I don't. I'm asking a question. And since they've already said all Xbox One accessories will work on XSX, and didn't care to name any exceptions, or say 'almost all,' I think it's a pretty interesting question.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wasn't your last thread about this same thing closed by a mod saying to make the thread again once we had more information?

Like, I dunno, about 2 hours ago?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I men, they are probably very careful with their wording because as much as 100% backwards compatibility is the goal, testing every single Xbox One game all the way through with their testing procedures is going to be very difficult and cumbersome. So they are testing games on the Series X (and likely using the employees with take home units for more tests as well) and while they certainly have set up the hypervisor layer and other stuff similar to the Xbox One X, because the hardware is so different they still want to make sure that no games "break" from the extra power. I can guarantee you though, that even if compatibility with Xbox One isn't 100% on day one, it will be in the mid to high 90s range and almost certainly at 100% by the end of the first year.

I would honestly be surprised if the Xbox One support was anything like the Xbox 360 support on Xbox One or OG Xbox on 360. At the very most, there will be a site like what Sony had with the hybrid PS3s (where they had the PS2 RSX but emulated the emotion engine, or vice versa) that lists issues with games that did not work (even though officially, they all worked)

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I don't. I'm asking a question. And since they've already said all Xbox One accessories will work on XSX, and didn't care to name any exceptions, or say 'almost all,' I think it's a pretty interesting question.
I would have almost no confidence they would support a cancelled product. They are updating existing controllers to take advantage of the new controller features on the series x, I don't think a second of manpower would go into getting that working.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ahh that's a stretch! Microsoft and the Xbox team have been doing this for the last 4 years (that we know about). They started before that for sure, while Sony claimed BC was impossible. Four + years is alot to make up while the other company is learning and releasing new versions of the games.

Sony's worldwide studio boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that "it was surprising" when Microsoft announced that the Xbox One would be gaining backwards compatibility with "hundreds" of Xbox 360 games. "I didn't think it was possible," Yoshida said. "There must be lots of engineering effort."

arstechnica.com

Sony has “no plans” for PS4 backwards compatibility with PS3

Sony says it was surprised by Xbox One's backwards compatibility with the Xbox 360.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a forum which likes to present and pretend that it's higher brow then other places but is still fucking CRAMMED to the rafters of dumb ass console warriors who think ever single thought they have requires a new fucking thread. This place has been an embarrassing shit show ever since the reveal yesterday.

Let's just wait and see what both companies promise at launch because right now there are much more serious things going on in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.