• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
In would have almost no confidence they would support a cancelled product. They are updating existing controllers to take advantage of the new controller features on the series x, I don't think a second of manpower would go into getting that working.
I actually agree. I'm pretty pissed at MS for abandoning some cool projects cause they aren't market-leaders day 1. Not a Kinect appreciation post, but Cortana, MS Band, Groove Music integration into games, all excellent products that should have been given more time.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Ahh that's a stretch! Microsoft and the Xbox team have been doing this for the last 4 years (that we know about). They started before that for sure, while Sony claimed BC was impossible.

Sony's worldwide studio boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that "it was surprising" when Microsoft announced that the Xbox One would be gaining backwards compatibility with "hundreds" of Xbox 360 games. "I didn't think it was possible," Yoshida said. "There must be lots of engineering effort."

arstechnica.com

Sony has “no plans” for PS4 backwards compatibility with PS3

Sony says it was surprised by Xbox One's backwards compatibility with the Xbox 360.
I mean that BC team has been at Xbox for years, they did the work on those buyable Xbox OG titles as well.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Microsofts messaging has been so clear the past couple years I honestly can't believe the routes people take to make it seem fuzzy. Microsoft have been so clear in fact that Sony fans knew PS5 specs back in December they just chose to ignore it just like microsofts backwards compatibility stance. Once Microsoft dropped the bomb at game awards it was clear from the rumors and microsofts actions that PS5 would be less powerful but it would have an awesome ssd. Both systems are going to be awesome and should be celebrated

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Just like previous BC, each game will likely need to be approved by publishers.

In Microsoft's case, it certainly sounds like they are simply carrying over all the licensing work they already did on Xbox One. I would be very surprised if they need to re-license anything that currently works on X1. In Sony's case, I could see this being a thing. If they didn't do this work from the start for PS4, they might have to work through it now.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I saw an interview at the beginning of the 360 BC effort, that 360 games were licensed to be run and sold on the 360, but starting with Xbox one, it was about the xbox platform, and it takes out that approval need for future BC.

I cannot find it though. Do we know that publisher approval is required for Xbox one games to be brought forward? Is there confirmation of that?
I would assume Microsoft has been making their contracts account for this ever since they decided on making bc a thing, so for years.

Also, the os will still be the same across all the xbox devices and they will all run the same Microsoft Store. And they already had to account for licensing on different xbox hardware with the Xbox One X, so the series x probably won't make any difference.

So yeah the licensing will most likely be easier and won't change at all, licensing definitely has to be tied to the Store and not the individual device.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
It's problably 99,9 of games with maybe a few exceptions with some licensing issues. That's "full" back compat in my eyes.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
In Microsoft's case, it certainly sounds like they are simply carrying over all the licensing work they already did on Xbox One. I would be very surprised if they need to re-license anything that currently works on X1. In Sony's case, I could see this being a thing. If they didn't do this work from the start for PS4, they might have to work through it now.
Yeah I saw the reply from the employee. I don't think we've seen anything like that before. It was seemingly always a certain selection of games that was compatible. I'm glad it's different this time around.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Ok this is getting sad at this point (and I'm not talking about the full X1 BC being in active development).

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I think we just need to look at the track record of Xbox with backwards compatibility. Good and bad. They've been had the backward compatibility team for 15 years now, since the Xbox 360 launch. Yet, It probably won't be every game (Kinect/odd Licensing/permissions).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yup, this is more like it, now it really feels like the new generation is arriving.
Even if Microsoft's solution to BC won't bring every single XBO game to Series X, I'm sure they'll offering will be much better than Sony's at least out of the box. They've been working on this for a while now.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean that BC team has been at Xbox for years, they did the work on those buyable Xbox OG titles as well.
I agree they know what it takes to: re-licences a title, how to to release it to the masses, how to get said developers on-board with the idea to re-release a title. How to market older IP that's 3rd party. Finally, the best way to share revenue from those titles. That's how far Sony's behind... Game Pass only made MS's options to said developer that much more attractive!

Too be fair i didn't count MS's original support for OG titles because MS went from disc loading games to full emulation and disc loading. Basically MS started over with Xbox One!

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
On a related note, can we really even believe the Series X is actually 12 tflops? I mean, can we be sure those flops are the exact kind of flops Sony has promised 10 of? Can we even be sure the Series X is actually a real console that is coming to market? We just can't be sure about any of this.

It feels like the only thing we can be sure of is that the PS5 is going to have an AMAZINGLY FAST SSD.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Is this thread to make PS5 fans feel better or to make Xbox fans angry? I can't tell.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hm, I mean, doesn't pretty much everything in the OP check out? X1 titles do require publisher approval for BC (never a good thing) and apparently some don't boot yet, according to Spencer? I mean, if that's the case, it's really disappointing Imo. I expected full BC day one, and thought this was already guranteed.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Defcon 1 levels of desperation.

They've explained it multiple times by now. But yeah, I'm worried I can't play MVP Hopsotch 2013 on the Series X.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Is this thread to make PS5 fans feel better or to make Xbox fans angry? I can't tell.
Seems like it's a triple agent post. Feign concern about the proven Xbox bc track record to make the PS5 news not as bad, but then it would force Microsoft to confirm that every game is BC at launch which would again make the PS5 look bad in comparison. This could be the cold medicine talking or the face that I just finished watching the first season of The X-files.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I agree they know what it takes to: re-licences a title, how to to release it to the masses, how to get said developers on-board with the idea to re-release a title. How to market older IP that's 3rd party. Finally, the best way to share revenue from those titles. That's how far Sony's behind... Game Pass only made MS's options to said developer that much more attractive!
Yeah Sony's probably only chosen the top 100 most played games because they are in a lot of it.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I mean, doesn't pretty much everything in the OP check out? X1 titles do require publisher approval for BC (never a good thing) and apparently some don't boot yet, according to Spencer? I mean, if that's the case, it's really disappointing Imo. I expected full BC day one, and thought this was already guranteed.

BC doesn't mean licensing, selling the game from the ms store yes.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Series X name was chosen precisely for BC, XBOX ecosystem.
Sorry but would have beem great Sony named PS5 just PlayStation and adopted mobile phones BC model.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
We know xbox dev kits came out way later. I don't expect the BC to be very good on XBXSx

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
LOL its not the Xbox that needs 'concern' in this area.

Man, the insecurities really are building after that PS5 reveal.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I had to wiki this and see if that was an Xbox game and man, how did I miss this Cave gem. I now hope we get some 360 JP games being BC for Xbox Series X too.
All I know about that game is it's expensive AF lmao.

We got what, the Bullet Soul game/s (which was nice to be able to buy digitally for play on Xbox One) and some other Cave 360 arcade game (can't remember the name right now edit: ah! Guwange!), but later on in the "BC weekly updates age" I would wish for Dodonpachi, Musihimesama Futari and Epgaluda II to get added. Also, It's kinda mindblowing how expensive all these games got in the past few years.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Maybe I'm going crazy, but they did say we were getting complete bc with all one games, and everything that's already bc(360, original Xbox).

I think you're wrong op.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
"For the next generation, the team knew from the outset that they wanted to double down on compatibility. That vision helped influence the design of the system and, through a combination of hardware and software, they committed themselves to ensuring the thousands of games on Xbox One, including Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, will play even better on Xbox Series X."

It's literally a pillar in the Monday press release. They even promised they'd play better

Status
Not open for further replies.