• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
People saying FFXI was hard... It wasn't actually difficult the word you are looking for is unfair. Forcing you to group in partys to level but not having a good way to setup a party or encouraging people to play tanks and healers? Unfair. Gaining a level only to lose it dying? Unfair.

The players who loved FFXI really have these rose tented glasses on when it comes to the game, the game was not good but you found enjoyment in it despite the numerous flaws and bullshit unfair systems the game was designed around. FFXI would crash and burn in todays market and FFXIV is an infinitely better game.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're blinded by nostalgia.

FFXI was indeed a great game, for it's era, but most of the "features" of that game wouldn't work today.

I remember the frustration of the incredibly slow leveling, waiting to form a party and then dying to a random monster and loosing all the exp.

This was before even the first expansion was released, I imported the Japanese version at that time and trust me, the frustration was BIG, but my young age coped with it.

You are right, as I played through the entire thing all expansions included just last year and the amount of things they've had to add/improve to make it playable is quite impressive. Even with all of those, you absolutely have to use a guide. I don't see how people even got through the game back then.

Love the stories though.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
People saying FFXI was hard... It wasn't actually difficult the word you are looking for is unfair. Forcing you to group in partys to level but not having a good way to setup a party or encouraging people to play tanks and healers? Unfair. Gaining a level only to lose it dying? Unfair.

The players who loved FFXI really have these rose tented glasses on when it comes to the game, the game was not good but you found enjoyment in it despite the numerous flaws and bullshit unfair systems the game was designed around. FFXI would crash and burn in todays market and FFXIV is an infinitely better game.

I'm glad you came in here to tell us what our memories and feelings of the game truly are. Pack it up folks, FFXIV is the game we should be talking about.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
All these people think they can grow as a person without being subjected to torture. LOL.

i got my Amanomurakumo and quit the game before wotg storyline was complete.

The game forced you to make nice with others and the oppressive nature of the game pushed people together. I still have friends from ffxi, more than a decade after i met them because of the shit we went through together.

It was badly designed at the most fundamental but the design on top of that was phenomenal compared to what else was out. We all hated WoW for being casual mode garbage and happily suffered shoulder to shoulder for years.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP, but I'm a different person now than I was in FFXI's heyday. And I still play the game, it's still enjoyable to me, but it has changed utterly... the leveling process in XI is now shorter than WoW or any other MMO. The game has dropped the forced community aspect and you can complete much of it solo, with Trust magic.

Don't mind them, they are just a bunch of grumpy old men yelling at clouds.

FFXIV is fucking amazing. I have been playing Final Fantasy since the beginning and it is arguably the best game in the series. I absolutely adore it.

FFXIV is a reskinned WoW with modern graphics, a more cohesive story, slower combat, and some quality-of-life improvements. It's not a bad game but it fails to live up to the legacy of XI, with its lack of interesting classes or strong class differentiation. Also, the vertical progression in XIV is the most poorly-disguised treadmill of any MMO that I've ever played. World of Warcraft has a better and more varied endgame even at this late date.

Seriously, everyone talks about the time sink and disrespect of time on XI, but XI is literally the only MMO I ever felt respected my time, because it wasn't insistent on invalidating everything every 6 months. Jobs leveled, areas unlocked, and gear acquired had value for 10 years, not 3-6 months.

I cant fucking stand the vertical progression of modern MMOs.

Agreed. Content had value in FFXI. It wasn't disposable. I finished Chains of Promathia and unlocked sea 13 or so years ago. And today that mission progression is still used to forge endgame gear.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite game and we'll never see anything like pre-Abyssea XI again. Indie MMO's just don't have the budget to recreate the magic XI had.

I still play on the Phoenix server (IGN is Drelkag) casually leveling jobs and helping linkshell members.

And I preferred the direction XIV 1.0 was heading to what we have now. Legacy account, only jump in to play once every few months since the repetitive patches burned me out around Heavensward.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I remember getting through COP and getting Sea access. I would just chill there so I'd show up like that. I helped get so many people access with my Ranger, Ninja and Bard.
When I walked into Lufaise Meadows for the first time I felt like I actually accomplished something. I can't think of many games that made me feel that same feeling.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

This is false. In FFXI there were a lot of viable parties, regular trinity parties, but also TP burn, BLM only parties.. there was more freedom on how you set up a party, and some camps were better than others depending on your party.

In XIV you are forced to make a trinity party, that's it.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it wasnt perfect, but it was a 1000x better than the garbage that modern MMOs have become with vertical progression killing gear in 3-6 months, simon says bossfight design, and a worthless overworld

But even within your points. There was verticality before the level cap reached 75, but that was before NA release. The earliest of 75 cap event gear stayed relevant from its release until the level cap was raised. Not all of it, but large swaths of it.

So it didnt matter if things took a while to get, or levels to a while to get. You could sit back and take it all in because there was no race to be had. There was even plenty of things that were end game relevant that you could do during the levelling process. I had finished CoP's airship battle before even getting my first job to 75

Also you could go from new player to endgame in todays ffxi in 3 weeks, easily. Levelling to 99 takes no time, and ambuscade ensures you have quality gear.

XIV ARR is among the worst games I've ever played. What an identiless boring pile of focus grouped ideas

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
All these people think they can grow as a person without being subjected to torture. LOL.

i got my Amanomurakumo and quit the game before wotg storyline was complete.

The game forced you to make nice with others and the oppressive nature of the game pushed people together. I still have friends from ffxi, more than a decade after i met them because of the shit we went through together.

It was badly designed at the most fundamental but the design on top of that was phenomenal compared to what else was out. We all hated WoW for being casual mode garbage and happily suffered shoulder to shoulder for years.
Flashback to Allakazham (RIP) threads filled with people telling everyone to go back to WoW every time they suggested to ease some aspects of the game, ahah.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I don't know how controversial this is, but I would have been perfectly fine if WoTG never existed.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Borderline controversial because of DNC and Campaign.

Everyone would be in agreement of cutting it off before Abyssea.

Why tho? WoTG didn't add anything worse to the game, for better or worse.

Honestly? It is where the game lost me. The changes were enough that I didn't want to expend the time needed anymore.

I freely admit that Abyssea probably saved the game, but I have way too many good memories from the early days that makes it not feel like the same game anymore.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The moment I heard FFXI was "online" that was the last time I wanted to hear anything about the game, to the point I dont even know what it looks like, same with FFXIV, a shame for me since some people say both games are awesome, but that online thing just doesnt go with me.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I have felt the same nostalgia for a couple of my first MMOs. Revisiting them destroyed the rose tint.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you came in here to tell us what our memories and feelings of the game truly are. Pack it up folks, FFXIV is the game we should be talking about.
1) I didn't say you should be talking about FFXIV I was saying its a better game and in every way it is, part of that comes from the changing marketplace and the failure of the original FFXIV, another part of that is lessons learned from FFXI and the host of problems that game had. Hell I'll say its a better game because it doesn't delevel you when you die, that one thing makes it a better game because that really sucked in FFXI.

2) I didn't tell you how to feel I said people describing the game as 'hard' aren't using the right word as unfair is a better description of the various elements that people were saying made the game difficult. A difficult or hard game is something you can generally overcome with practice and skill, something you can't do with the various problems in FFXI such as the deleveling system or the way the game forces you to group up into a party to progress, those will always be things that can screw you over no matter how good of a player you are or how much you've learned about the game or its various systems, thus unfair.

You love the game as much as you want but I would like to hear how these systems actually made the game good in your eyes because the deleveling alone was a terrible feature that burned a lot of people on the game including myself. Spending 3+ hours to get a full party only to die on the first few monsters, delevel and have everyone leave is not a good experience and its something that happened multiple times when I played this game back in the day. Whats fun about that? Look I love Ragnarok Online an even older MMO then FFXI but objectively I know its not a very good game because of all the unfair bullshit it also had, you can love something and still understand that the love of that thing comes in spite of the game you actually played because its not all bad and the good parts are really great and the people you met and played with defined the experience not the game itself because the game itself had a crapton of problems that generally a lot of people couldn't get past.

This is the same way people talk about Classic WoW as well, yeah sure a lot of people have great memories of it and really loved it but classic WoW was also a buggy mess of bullshit not just unfair bullshit but stupid broken glitchy bullshit. You can love the great memories you have for that experience and still be realistic about the real problems the game had thats one reason there is such a big debate on what form the 'Classic WoW' will take whenever Blizzard eventually release it, some people want the original experience with all the bullshit other people want them to fix at least some of the bullshit so its not such a shitty experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I don't know how controversial this is, but I would have been perfectly fine if WoTG never existed.

This is where I think the game got too bloated with different events introduced with each expansion with their own currencies and junk, granted by the time Aht Urhgan came around I no longer had the time to play religiously so I was still working on getting those endgame gears when Wings of the Goddess launched. But Campaign felt like such a timesink and having to do it consistently or risk losing your rank was a good way to lose motivation to keep at it. I never got high rank in Campaign and I didn't even finish the WotG missions...but I got back into the game big time with Abyssea before ultimately putting it away because I didn't have time for MMOs anymore.

Campaign was still FUN, but felt like an even bigger timesink than what came before. I did love when just a few people in a zone would gather and try to hold off the enemy waves, when it got really challenging it was a real blast.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I really liked about this game, and what's missing from today's games is the sense of community. It has become easier than ever to interact with people online but it's often avoided because of that. Things have become way too toxic for one, and it's so easy to just use party chat on console, or discord or something.

I really liked the battle system in XI, you had plenty of time to type to people, like your Linkshell members for example while grinding away in your XP party leveling up. In FFXIV I'm too busy mashing out a global cooldown and running out of red circles to ever talk to anyone.

I also like how the entire open world of MMOs used to have a purpose, and while being able to queue up for instances in a party finder is convenient, there's no connection - you join, play through the dungeon, and leave. Meanwhile the open world is relegated mostly to story and many of the zones end up empty or near useless once you've hit level cap.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I loved loved FFXI when it came out in NA with Rise of Zilart, but I don't ever want or need an MMO like that ever again because it destroyed my life for near two years. Best time I had playing a game while also destroying my college career through endless leveling, LS bickering over HNMs, and farming mats to fight god. I think I'm glad I was around when the community went from awesome to toxic when the economy got fucked by gil farmers. Means I'm less likely to go back to it.

Still, we will never get another MMO like FFXI because WoW came out and changed how MMOs worked. For better and worse.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're blinded by nostalgia.

FFXI was indeed a great game, for it's era, but most of the "features" of that game wouldn't work today.

I remember the frustration of the incredibly slow leveling, waiting to form a party and then dying to a random monster and loosing all the exp.

This was before even the first expansion was released, I imported the Japanese version at that time and trust me, the frustration was BIG, but my young age coped with it.
I went back to it on a private server and it's still good, though the server wasn't that populated, but I did cross a old guild member which made things scary and awesome lol. I also tried dual boxing which was very nice. The game holds up for me, and I still haven't found a game that has a character or class that plays like Beastmaster, Thief, Red Mage, or even Dancer. I want FFXI co op + offline option remake/master whatever, I just want it!

Just got FFXII TZA so I'll be busy for a while while SE make this... (taps watch)

Heck I should just reinstall FFXI and that private server mess huh?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Another thing I really liked about this game, and what's missing from today's games is the sense of community. It's become easier than ever to interact with people online but it's often avoided because of that. Things have become way too toxic for one, and it's so easy to just use party chat on console, or discord or something.

The game's reliance on EXP parties basically made it so you had to make an effort to be courteous to others and get along. Because you'd be leveling up alongside the same people for a while and you don't want to burn bridges for high level parties and missions lol. Definitely the best sense of community I've ever experienced in an online game.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Also Tarutaru >>>>>> Lalafell
and Galka >>>>>> Roegadyn

tarutaru2.jpg

Hell all the FFXI races are better.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe if FFXIV had level down people would learn how to fucking play the game and it would make for a much nicer experience in the long run (Then again, they would still die to the unfair Simon-says boss battles anyway).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I really liked about this game, and what's missing from today's games is the sense of community. It has become easier than ever to interact with people online but it's often avoided because of that. Things have become way too toxic for one, and it's so easy to just use party chat on console, or discord or something.

I really liked the battle system in XI, you had plenty of time to type to people, like your Linkshell members for example while grinding away in your XP party leveling up. In FFXIV I'm too busy mashing out a global cooldown and running out of red circles to ever talk to anyone.

I also like how the entire open world of MMOs used to have a purpose, and while being able to queue up for instances in a party finder is convenient, there's no connection - you join, play through the dungeon, and leave. Meanwhile the open world is relegated mostly to story and many of the zones end up empty or near useless once you've hit level cap.
Yes, I stinking hate FFXIV's battle system. Press a button every millisecond to half second, it's annoying as heck. I loved positional abilities in FFXI but in FFXIV with the whole button rotation, and redzone get out the way littered floor, it just pissed me off.

And I loved the community in FFXI, people with bad reputations followed them like glue, cool people were always welcomed, very skillful players were gods in my eyes. I still remember to this day the Samurai that impressed me on Lufaise Meadows birds (Abraxas I think), a slash samurai on birds! He was Japanese so I never saw him again but he was cool with his auto translate use.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
lol it was a game of judgments though. "Why are you wearing that?" "What is up with your sub class?" "No you can't come WHM/NIN, wtf!?"

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The game's reliance on EXP parties basically made it so you had to make an effort to be courteous to others and get along. Because you'd be leveling up alongside the same people for a while and you don't want to burn bridges for high level parties and missions lol. Definitely the best sense of community I've ever experienced in an online game.
The one time I felt like I was in a community with FFXIV was when I was in a long Fate EXP party that moved to a different zone together. Then the next day I crossed some of the same people and remembered their names. That was just one time, never happened again, and I lived in Fate EXP party, I hated the dungeons and the LFP Party Finder waiting thing.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I stinking hate FFXIV's battle system. Press a button every millisecond to half second, it's annoying as heck. I loved positional abilities in FFXI but in FFXIV with the whole button rotation, and redzone get out the way littered floor, it just pissed me off.

And I loved the community in FFXI, people with bad reputations followed them like glue, cool people were always welcomed, very skillful players were gods in my eyes. I still remember to this day the Samurai that impressed me on Lufaise Meadows birds (Abraxas I think), a slash samurai on birds! He was Japanese so I never saw him again but he was cool with his auto translate use.

I remember when I realized that samurai was the job for me. It was right before getting to the Aht Urghan camps, and I played with some japanese players. I kept getting compliments from them, and for about a week I was actually being headhunted by japanese exp party makers. I'd just get invites out of the blue. Great feeling lol.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they are remaking (remastering?) FFXI for mobile, so you may get your wish!
Yeah I'll be trying that, I like the way it looked in the screen shot, I hope they bring it to PC, anything at this point.
LLqc1Eo.jpg

I remember when I realized that samurai was the job for me. It was right before getting to the Aht Urghan camps, and I played with some japanese players. I kept getting compliments from them, and for about a week I was actually being headhunted by japanese exp party makers. I'd just get invites out of the blue. Great feeling lol.
Haha you lucky dog. The only time I got invited to a Japanese group was because my friend begged them to let me join their Dynamis runs. The same group owned Fafnir on our server. That lead to my entry into endgame content.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I miss the party aspect for leveling up.

Feel like one of my talents was to make bad party's decent, as well as good party's great.

Absolutely! I used to take pride in my ability to organize 5 random strangers in FFXI and have everyone work together like a well-oiled machine!

Also, (as others have mentioned) best FF OST by a landslide!

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Haha you lucky dog. The only time I got invited to a Japanese group was because my friend begged them to let me join their Dynamis runs. The same group owned Fafnir on our server. That lead to my entry into endgame content.

While I was definitely decent at samurai when I was leveling up, I'm sure the Soboro-Sukehiro made me look more impressive than I actually was :P

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I still had all my old screenshots, lost them all on my PC I was using at the time
Oh snap I feel a screen shot thread and reminiscing on old days talk coming up. I have a lot of my old screens, I could have had so much more if I didn't forget to email myself all of the screens on my Play Online account 3 at a time. That was annoying.

A picture of this broke thief with assJerkin surrounded by pimped out people.
t3d8S3H.jpg

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

Modern day FFXI has almost as many actions as XIV, and that's with using macros and windower to do the swaps for you. Back in the days it had a very slow pace but nowadays everyone is haste/fastcast capped and spamming stuff, you can self chain on any class even without SAM sub just because you gain TP so fast. XIV has a GCD of 2.5sec, with some classes(mostly melees) going down to 2secs, and you're rarely pressing buttons more often than that(a few abilities are off the GCD, so sometimes you press 2buttons in that 2.5secs). It's one of the main complaint from wow players about XIV actually, it's TOO SLOW, rather than too fast.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Modern day FFXI has almost as many actions as XIV, and that's with using macros and windower to do the swaps for you. Back in the days it had a very slow pace but nowadays everyone is haste/fastcast capped and spamming stuff, you can self chain on any class even without SAM sub just because you gain TP so fast. XIV has a GCD of 2.5sec, with some classes(mostly melees) going down to 2secs, and you're rarely pressing buttons more often than that(a few abilities are off the GCD, so sometimes you press 2buttons in that 2.5secs). It's one of the main complaint from wow players about XIV actually, it's TOO SLOW, rather than too fast.
Yeah, I've heard. That's why I gave the private server FFXI a shot. I got it to work very well too. I would give current FFXI a shot if it didn't have subs still though. I loved the classes, and how they played, though I don't know how they play currently with the increase in button presses. From your description it sounds pretty bad.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It's not being blinded by nostalgia. There is definitely potential in the core design of XI that has never since been tapped into. Strip it down to its core and it's a game that initially sought to forge friendships and a sense of adventure based off of your own personal experiences in a game that was not only very difficult, but as a result made you rely on each other to get things done. There was no hand holding. In an age where dark souls can thrive, this core concept doesn't just get brushed aside as nostalgia fodder simply because the mmo genre is not malleable in the slightest. It was all about the payoff with XI. Be that a new friendship from helping out a random with their first AF coffer, or from sharing the stories that you made after the fact. The amount of tales I have from that game are mind boggling. For me, it can only be described as a very tangible experience that meant a great deal to me, and was one I never expected to have from a game. Somewhere down the line I can only hope a developer sees that games core values and manages to recapture that spirit in a way that rekindles players appetite for such an experience.

Ehh, I really disagree, FFXIV was my first MMO and I also have "countless" stories to tell about friends made and people who helped me out and overcoming really hard challenges and what not. The difference is FFXI's design is outdated and I'd never get to experience all that friend making and what not in that type of environment today because I have a job and shit.

justjustni

Oct 27, 2017
i never played ff xi, but from what i've read i truly admire how the game was designed around genuine cooperation. so many multiplayer games, not just mmo's, basically provide streamlined templates or simple goals so people can still play together and generally succeed without communicating.

i like reading people's experiences, because it's cool to hear about these raw, unscripted encounters with other players. it's rare to see that these days, when in so many games the person you're cooperating with might as well be ai-scripted because of how the game is designed—its almost easier not to communicate.

i did play ff xiv for a free month and enjoyed it a lot. the most fun i had was fighting garuda for the first time with people i didnt know. finally, for once, we had to communicate and figure out the boss's patterns unlike the dungeons where we'd mechanically work our way through, following our class roles and not having to say anything. it sounds like ff xi extended that feeling across the whole game world, not just 1% of it, so yeah—kinda wish i got to experience something like that in its heyday.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XI is the best Final Fantasy.

Specially pre-Abyssea imo.

I agree with others here though, as much as I love the old FFXI, there's just no way I would have time for it nowadays.

But man, the sense of camraderie, the difficulty of the game (imo this is the hardest and most technical FF), the inmense world, the beautiful music and art design, the sense of wonder, the openness of it all, the thrill of the danger, and the mother****ing Leapin' Lizzy... I feel like nothing can top that gaming experience for me.

Also, the Chains of Promathia expansion was brutal and fun at first. 10/10

I miss Vana'Diel!

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
But ff11 was dam near perfect before they added blue mages

I was so into the game I decided to de-level my BLM from 75 to 37 so I could level it up again without starting over from scratch

Phoenix server forever!

Thanks to Google Photos I still have most of my screenshots from the game (and the other MMO I played for a long time "Tibia"

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt you've been following XIV but the game is seemingly introducing a new form of content called Eureka that is pretty similar to what XI used to be like. With NMs and everything.
Elemental wheel, butbit still plays like ffxivf No solo skillchain light, samurai setsugekka doesn't count. I'm playing ffxiv again, also a legacy account.. It looks fun but it's ffxiv with an elemental wheel.