• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I had a lady with two kids that would not stop fucking talking and giggling. Probably one of the most annoying movie going experiences I ever had to the point where about 1 hour in I actually spoke up and told her to control her kids or get out which atleast worked for awhile, but also why the hell are you bringing your kids to see this...wtf.

Anyway, I found part 1 a lot better but enjoyed this overall even if there's a lot of pretty apparent problems. It does feel like it falls too far into an obvious pattern of the adults getting their moment to get a memento which just amounts to a jump scare moment, but I guess it's hard to avoid that. The suicide thing at the end was super dumb and not needed, and there was too much weird CGI stuff which way overshot from being an eerie moment to just...weird. The restaurant scene has amazing chemistry until the CGI fest, and the moment from the trailers with bev is great until...you see what the old lady actually looks like. Movie does that a lot.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Jesus fucking Christ what a slog of a movie. There's no reason this needed to be 3 hours. And that was some godawful CG.

The only thing this movie got right was the casting.

I'm seriously exhausted after seeing it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The CGI was SOOOOO beyond unconvincing.

I enjoyed it, but the direction of the film was really odd. It was almost satirical. It was also way too long and i didn't like the extremely predictable structure in the middle.

Also i hated the camerawork
It had massive tonal problems. It never really is confident enough to go full comedy or horror and is left in a very weird place.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Another thing that bugged me was how not scary the whole thing was. Not just because of the awful CGI but because the gang can't stop quipping and the plot armor is plain as day. Pennywise is hardly a threat beyond serving up jump scares. I was legit surprised when he actually stabbed that guy towards the end.

If you'd have told me this was four hours I'd have totally believed it. The fact that there's a whole third of the movie left when they get to Pennywise's house is just nuts.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda enjoyed it for the atmosphere but yeah, the CGI and direction were simply weak. There was basically no tension build-up whatsoever in this movie, it was all just cheap jump scares at every possible opportunity. Really got tired of how often some bad looking cgi zombie jumped into the frame in this movie. And the more IT appeared as some cgi monster, the less scary he became. It's basically the same stuff I had issues with in the first movie, but doubled-down upon.

While watching this I was reminded of the "I Am Legend" zombies... not a good thing.

Last edited:

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the deal with the children scenes? Like, they looked and sounded weird?

Also, the movie felt like it was way too long but also totally rushed in an odd way. Overall, I wasn't really a fan. Just felt totally disjointed.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Saw this a while back, just wanted to say some guy in the theatre had amazing comic timing... During the scene with the little girl under the bleachers when Pennywise says he'll blow away that girls birthmark, he starts counting "1.... 2.... " and then during the tense silence some guy rips a massive fart and defuses all the tension in the cinema hahaha

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night. It's one of the most weirdly inconsistent films I've seen in a long time. The tone is all over the place, with stuff like Eddie vomiting after killing Henry Bowers or the music when the leper is puking in his face feeling like odd comedy moments where they didn't need to be. All of the CGI horrors look fucking silly. The bit when Bev is in her old apartment and the old lady is acting strange was kinda good and pretty creepy, but when she comes out as a massive lanky CGI monstrosity it just looked goofy, not scary. The bit immediately after when Pennywise is applying his makeup and then scratches his own face was far creepier.

They could have easily cut half an hour from it, with stuff like Henry Bowers, Bill's wife, all the quips about bad endings (which was ironic because this has a bad ending too) and some of the teenager segments being easy to excise. And the finale in It's lair didn't need to be like 45 fucking minutes either. It was so dumb that Eddie stabbed Henry right in the middle of his chest but he was still able to fight and overpower Mike later that same day. Henry Bowers had three scenes I think and his actions did absolutely nothing for the plot or the characters so his inclusion felt entirely pointless. Cut him out and nothing would change.

On the plus side the cast were all excellent and Pennywise is a great villain in his normal form. Spider-Pennywise was just plain dumb and I didn't like the design at all. I felt like there should have been more of the group as a whole and more Pennywise rather than goofy monsters. It wasn't as bad as I expected having read a bunch of negative reviews, but it's definitely inferior to the first and I didn't like how it tried to be so 'epic' at the end in the meteor crash site. Horror is much more unsettling when it's more intimate, like The Thing or The Witch.

Jul 18, 2018
Finally decided to watch this after getting a free redbox rental.....and i guess it's worth a redbox rental if you want to finish this story?
But for me, i felt very bored throughout the film and felt disappointed in the end. It just felt different from the first film, idk if that's due to how cheesy the scares and cgi look, it felt just more theatrical. The first movie at least had tension to back those scenes.

Also idk why this movie is almost 3 hours long. There is so many scenes that felt unneeded and all the nostalgia scenes could have been condensed better. There just seemed to be a lack of chemistry as the young kids, but everything felt satirical in a bad way. That's probably why they kept going back to the scenes with the kids to make the audience become attached to those memories.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just watched it, what the fuck was up with the opening and very ending of this movie

Should have just ended with the kids walking away from the movie theater

I actually did like the Bowers stuff just because the actor was having such a fun time hamming it up

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw this, and... yeah, can't really say I liked it. But then, I personally didn't like the first one either. Didn't like the opening or including the murders of the two kids who were later completely forgotten about. Amusing Stephen King cameo or no, Bill buying Silver back didn't really amount to anything with the plotline involving his wife being left out of the movie unlike the mini-series. Weird to have even bothered keeping Bowers when indeed his character could've been cut entirely, whereas in the mini-series he took Mike out of the equation by critically injuring him and preventing him from even getting to be part of the final battle with Pennywise. Definitely not a great message to try to justify Stanley's suicide as some sort of 4D chess move in that letter at the end, and the movie certainly didn't need to be almost three hours long. The pomeranian scene was funny, and Bill Hader gave a great performance as Richie.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I don't usually like watching horror movies.

I can handle thrillers sincexl despite being more realistic they usually show that the villain is infallible. Not so with most horror films (I also don't like being scared in movies/film).

Which was why the first It movie was so surprising. It may have been about an evil clown-like entity, but the main theme was movie. These kids were being made so miserable as to surrender their guard to the seemingly friendly clown. All of their insecurities were their true obstacle and it made the climax all the more powerful when they banded together to overcome their problems and IT. It's like a traditional horror story but melded in with issues that resonate with everyone.

Which made me sad that this movie didn't make it work.

I had to peer into the book to understand the real reason they drifted apart because this movie was not able to tie in their new insecurities with being haunted by Pennywise. It didn't help that every singular fright was basically a standard horror trope.

I think they also went overboard with the CGI in the film. The first one didn't seem to use much of it to scare you, only for visual looks. This one figured it had a much bigger budget and went all out. I felt the movie looked worse because of it, especially compared with the minimalist feel of Doctor Sleep.

Also, some of the movie directions were just weird at best. Henry, one of the defining characters regarding its themes was heavily underutilized in the sequel. The fact that they made Stanley's suicide a heroic act is has a lot of unfortunate consequences. The Adrian Mellow scene went on far longer than it should have. And I can see how the climax is basically bullying the monster to submission, which is yet another odd moral to add to the story.

Yet I cannot say it's a terrible movie. All of the adult actors gave it their all with the script given to them. The CGI is good on a technical level and some of the themes reached a nice conclusion (Ben and Beverly specifically).

Yet I can't help but wonder that the producers wanted so much to go over the top with their movie that they forgot about what made the first chapter so great. 5.75/10. (IT gets an 8/10).

Last edited: