• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The movie was alright.

It's weird. The movie didn't feel long, but at the same time, it felt aimless. It was kind of just a hodgepodge of Pennywise fucking with people scenes until it limped into its climax.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's more or less his true form. IT is shown at the end of the tv film. Final boss fight etc
Not really his true form, just a cosmic lovecraftian it's the most our brains can handle, which is fine in a book where you can get that concept across and also explore what's behind the spider even in its incomprehensibility.

But on screen it's always going to be a spider and that's kind of wack no matter how many times they try to adapt it in the short medium. If it got a real maxi-series maybe it could be done right.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
So I just saw this and was disappointed plus bored. The suicide letter was just the most weirdest thing. The constant references to a bad end of a book, meant they will steer the fuck away from the depressing ending and we got a nice happy smiley ending...

Sometimes people want to see downer endings, and just by shitting on it with meta commentary doesnt make it better.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
So I just saw this and was disappointed plus bored. The suicide letter was just the most weirdest thing. The constant references to a bad end of a book, meant they will steer the fuck away from the depressing ending and we got a nice happy smiley ending...

Sometimes people want to see downer endings, and just by shitting on it with meta commentary doesnt make it better.

Dauberman isn't the greatest screenwriter. Since Fukunaga didn't have his piece thrown in the hat I had a feeling stuff like this would happen.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
The meta bad ending stuff was so overwhelmingly stupid. King's appearance was dumb.

"HAHA IM IN ON THE JOKE!"

And the scene when Ben is hiding in the locker and the NKOTB poster is right over his shoulder, and they didn't use that in any good way. They just stick Pennywise impossibly in there. Terrible. That would have been terrifying if the poster talked.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I share thoughts with most of the posters here; overlong but had some good moments. I thought Richie and Eddie were great and did a good job growing up from their counterparts. Even James Mcavoy did great for such a boring character.

One thing I absolutely hate about both movies are it's over reliance on Pennywise/It suddenly lurching towards the characters and them screaming in a jump scare. As a result none of the scares felt scary because they all played out the same way.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one definitely had a lot more jump scares than the first but I felt the first one was scarier.

TheCool69

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of theater here in Finland and i got to say i was very dissapointed in this film. The CGI was so obvious and out of place, the violence felt just mean for sake of Shock (both child killings) and the scares were so obvious and followed the same pattern everytime . Creepy music->silence- loud scream.

Only thing that i liked was the joke about Bowers hair. Oh and King.

Just feel like the movie was too long and wasted opportunity. Even Pennywise felt somehow off.

2/5

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. I didn't think much of it. Too long, the whole third act was pretty terrible and I didn't like how many of the Pennywise appearances resorted to big CG monsters.

On the plus side, the casting was spot-on (Richie and Eddie were uncannily good) and I enjoyed the King cameo. The opening, the girl under the bleachers and the Bev scene from the teaser were the best scenes.

For reference I love the book and really liked the first movie.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Movie was an absolute mess. I love the first, and it's my favorite King novel and this was just a big, messy film full of atonal scenes and goofy CGI noise. Such a let down.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
People are harsh here, lol. The movie was extremely fun, and very hammy, just like the miniseries was. Honestly, what were people expecting from a movie where the big bad's main form is a clown?

The most questionable parts were the opening where it felt the camera was taking a bit too much glee in showing two gay men get the shit kicked out of them and murdered which feels like mindless shock value considering the rest of the film goes balls to the wall in being a fun, schlocky roller coaster and the ending scene where Stan's suicide is justified for being strategic. Made little sense and was poorly executed given the subject matter, I can't quite remember if this is how the book ended but I don't think so.

It definitely felt like a three hour movie too. But I also don't really know what you cut unless you get rid of Bowers completely, which you probably could. But I really loved the Bowers bits, they were a blast, and I found him being driven around town in a trans am by a decomposed corpse extremely entertaining. You need the Losers facing Pennywise again on their own too, that was an essential part of the novel and they needed to get their magic macguffins. It dragged hard in the middle, but I'm sympathetic to the editing team because I really enjoyed the extra bits.

People who think the ending sucked are nuts. That's the best part of the movie, where they just leaned hard on being ridiculous and over the top. Like come on, references to both The Shining and Carrie within a minute of each other, a monster Pomeranian, giant spider clown Pennywise, baby Pennywise? That was a fun as fuck ending, I was thoroughly enjoying myself throughout the climax, the characters were all spot on and the situations Pennywise put them through were great. This was a great popcorn flick, much more fun as a theater experience then you would get at home.

And special shout outs to the brain dead mother at my showing who brought her four year old to the movie who was audibly crying when Pennywise ripped into the chest of his first victim and left with her when Pennywise rips into the skull of that young girl approximately the same age as the girl she brought to the movie. I'm sure she wasn't permanently scarred.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks there was a shot of Eddie's bandage on the right side of his face? It was when they were descending into the cavern before opening the hatch, I think.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first movie. Reading all of y'all reviews, I feel as though I won't enjoy this at all. :-/
I think a lot of people went in with the expectation of this was going to be a straight edge, gritty horror flick ala the new Pet Semetary, and instead got a campy, fun scary movie that isn't afraid to be funny when delivering its scares. If you adjust your expectations to watching this as if it's a 3 hour popcorn munching flick instead of seat clenching terror, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm surprised to see a lot of negativity here. I loved the movie. I read the book when I was twelve and immediately begged my mom to buy me the Tim Curry movie on DVD and was so disappointed by it. I'm not a book reader who gets particularly upset when things are cut out - I get how difficult it is to adapt a book to a film since both have wildly different pacing from one another. (even though I still get mad about some of the stuff cut from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix).

The crew had the unenviable job of making the boring parts of the book into a satisfying movie, and they certainly did it. I found a lot of the locations super endearing. The scene with the gay couple at the beginning was incredibly hard to watch, and straight up the scariest thing I've seen in a long time because it felt so real. It felt like you were watching a real couple get the shit out of them for... well, existing.

The chemistry of the main crew felt believable, and getting more scenes with the kids was not something I was expecting at all.

I'm not in a rush to see it again but I had an absolute blast, and I don't particularly miss a lot of what was cut out. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but I'll admit IT feels a bit bloated at 1000 pages or whatever.

If you liked Part 1, you'll like Part 2 I think.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
I think a lot of people went in with the expectation of this was going to be a straight edge, gritty horror flick ala the new Pet Semetary, and instead got a campy, fun scary movie that isn't afraid to be funny when delivering its scares. If you adjust your expectations to watching this as if it's a 3 hour popcorn munching flick instead of seat clenching terror, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the film was alright, but I was left disappointed overall. There were several scenes that could've been straight up cut out of the film and nothing of value would've been lost (Bowers subplot, the little boy and little girl getting murdered and never being spoken of again, pretty much all the kids' flashbacks).

Also, there was a surprising lack of og Pennywise in this. I'm pretty sure the trailers showed all of his scenes in clown form, which was a little disappointing. Also, what was up with the CGI? The dinner scene in particular looked really bad to me...

It's final form was actually pretty cool, but the way he went out was absurdly silly, as was the whole suicide note thing. So the movie is basically saying it's better to give up and end it all instead of actually trying to overcome your fears? What kind of message is that...

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
As someone who just watched the original (2017) It last night for the first time and has no prior knowledge of the material, I... kind of fucking loved this?

I'll post longer thoughts once I'm home, but wow. Also, as a gay man, did I really just see a hollywood blockbuster that handled LGBT characters deftly?!

That suicide note thing at the end though... yikes.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
People who think the ending sucked are nuts. That's the best part of the movie, where they just leaned hard on being ridiculous and over the top. Like come on, references to both The Shining and Carrie within a minute of each other, a monster Pomeranian, giant spider clown Pennywise, baby Pennywise? That was a fun as fuck ending, I was thoroughly enjoying myself throughout the climax, the characters were all spot on and the situations Pennywise put them through were great. This was a great popcorn flick, much more fun as a theater experience then you would get at home.

I agree. Once the gang returned to Neibolt Street, the movie cranked to 11 and was a blast till the end. I was thoroughly entertained throughout all of the final stretch. I was even surprised how they handled final form Pennywise, which I was worried would have followed the book too much with a lame basic spider creature translating to film poorly. While I do think the Ritual of Chud could have went a bit better, I also realize that adapting exactly what happened in the book would have been kinda dumb too (though going intergalactic in some fashion would have been cool to see).

I was happy with how it turned out in that regard. Just a lot of the film leading up to that was disappointing.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

It just didn't fit the tone they originally set up. If it was set up to be a comedy horror movie like Drag Me to Hell and Cabin in the Woods, then maybe, but the movie felt like it jumped the shark. The CGI was awful too.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I loved it. Beautifully looking film with a great cast. Pretty faithful too overall. The best thing, same as the first film, is that it has a lot of heart. The ending is pretty much perfection with the gang just being cute as hell, both versions.

However the film is not scary at all. Exactly like the first film. Don't go watch this for the scares. It is mostly just suspenseful.

My showing was really into it.

I feel like the first movie was scary if only for some of the situations the kids were in. The first encounter with Pennywise is scary and Bev's interactions with any adult man is waaaay too real. The stories of the prior cycles, like the Derry Works explosion, have a certain creepypasta-esque terror to them, and Mike's vision of his parents' deaths lands pretty hard.

I agree that this movie really doesn't have that. A few attempts at cheap jump scares but mostly just coke-fueled craziness in lieu of actual horror. It works out quite well, but it's not scary.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched, as many said here it's not bad but not great. I really do love the first one but I guess that's because it doesn't get into some of the crazy stuff the second one does. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I love the shining and it's a lot different than the book and I wish they would have left a lot of stuff out of this movie.

Either way not bad just not anywhere as good as the first.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys catch this when Bev was in the bathroom stall?

jack-nicholson-the-shining.gif

Thought that was neat of them to do.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Well, we can hope that they have some footage and ideas for an alternate ending in the combined cut. The suicide letter shit was terrible and tonally not what we needed.

I went into Part 2 already having read a lot of tweets about how Part 1 was so much better but I gave it my full open mind. Gotta say, yeah, it was a step down. The CGI with the young actors was terrible distracting. I really, really wish they had planned for this better and shot most of that stuff during the Part 1 shoot. While some of it does look like they did, a lot of it was clearly shot later and altered.

Would have liked to have seen a little more cosmic/turtle stuff, more Derry-is-fucked-up scenes, a different more downer ending that makes us feel the weight of what Pennywise has done to this town and these characters --even though they defeated him (for good this time, presumably) the lasting impact should feel harrowing. Even the TV movie handled the emotion better in that sense. The final confrontation sequence... while I liked some parts (the 3 doors, bathroom stall, underground clubhouse) it just felt like Pennywise was chasing them around in a circle most of the time. I don't know, I feel like they could have come up with something more satisfying.

Really liked the opening scene of the movie; made you feel for those characters, the fucked up townspeople were awful in the right way, and Pennywise was used great there. Mostly liked the adult cast, even if they don't stack up to the kids at all. Other than Hader. Pennywise could have used another big scene or two, his presence was felt MUCH better in the first movie. The entire Henry Bowers plot just felt like a big waste of time, which is a shame because I liked the build-up.

I dunno, still formulating my feelings. On the whole, I'm glad I saw it. Had enough to dig into and enjoy, but also frustrating in a lot of ways. I agree that it felt a little aimless despite the runtime. I thought this movie was going to feel packed to the brim but it wasn't like that at all for me.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The film is...fun.

I'll get it out of the way: Hate crime opening was fucked up, and it's not like it contextualized Pennywise any differently. Just sucked. Speaking of which, good on killing the other gay character's potential love interest. Like, goddamn film.

And that opening doesn't really inform anything for the rest of the film which becomes admittedly loveable and fun when the Losers get back together. That restaurant scene was amazing until the CGI hit. Good casting despite the hammy acting everywhere. Satisfying endings to their arcs.

Except Stanley. RIP bro.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
It just didn't fit the tone they originally set up. If it was set up to be a comedy horror movie like Drag Me to Hell and Cabin in the Woods, then maybe, but the movie felt like it jumped the shark. The CGI was awful too.
I dunno, when a movie has a kid being chased by a giant evil Paul Bunyan statue and a woman chased by a goofy CGI grandma giant and has Bowers being driven around by a decomposed corpse, the ending didn't feel out of tone at all to me.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
My boss saw this last night and ranted about how it was hot garbage. The impressions here don't seem to be doing the film any favors. Will probably wait until I can rent it on Redbox or something :/

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
It has its flaws but it may be my favorite film this year, though disappointed in Chastain. I don't know, but it didn't feel like 3 hours whatsoever and I had so much fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all of these impressions pretty much confirmed my fear of the first film being completely propped up by Cary Fukunaga's script being used. While this one's script went solely to Gary Dauberman who did movie classics like the Nun and Annabelle.

I also wasn't that big a fan of how characters like Henry and a bunch of other subplots were handled in the first one when they knew the sequel was coming.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The film is...fun.

I'll get it out of the way: Hate crime opening was fucked up, and it's not like it contextualized Pennywise any differently. Just sucked. Speaking of which, good on killing the other gay character's potential love interest. Like, goddamn film.

And that opening doesn't really inform anything for the rest of the film which becomes admittedly loveable and fun when the Losers get back together. That restaurant scene was amazing until the CGI hit. Good casting despite the hammy acting everywhere. Satisfying endings to their arcs.

Except Stanley. RIP bro.
Does it help that the beginning scene is from the book and that king wrote it after that same exact murder (obviously without pennywise) happened in real life in Bangor and he was trying to make a point about how evil homophobia is?

You may know this being a mod but there was a thread about it (though I knew already being a New Englander with strong ties to Maine) but it kind of died because more people were concerned with spoilers than hate crimes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Does it help that the beginning scene is from the book and that king wrote it after that same exact murder (obviously without pennywise) happened in real life in Bangor and he was trying to make a point about how evil homophobia is?

You may know this being a mod but there was a thread about it (though I knew already being a New Englander with strong ties to Maine) but it kind of died because more people were concerned with spoilers than hate crimes.
I understand. But like...we know homophobia is evil. Same with racism, yet I wouldn't have wanted to see a botched lynching that ends in Pennywise eating a black dude just to hammer the point home that Derry is a trash town inhabited by a trash monster. That much is known. My hope from reading articles was that it would somehow add context that really makes Pennywise excessively depraved, but...I felt nothing in particular for him because honestly, you can't get lower than child-eating Eldritch abomination. All that scene did was make me cry. I mean, nothing even happened to those assholes (that I could tell).

Fucking sucked. I can't sit through that again if I rerun this.