• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I understand. But like...we know homophobia is evil. Same with racism, yet I wouldn't have wanted to see a botched lynching that ends in Pennywise eating a black dude just to hammer the point home that Derry is a trash town inhabited by a trash monster. That much is known. My hope from reading articles was that it would somehow add context that really makes Pennywise excessively depraved, but...I felt nothing in particular for him because honestly, you can't get lower than child-eating Eldritch abomination. All that scene did was make me cry. I mean, nothing even happened to those assholes (that I could tell).

Fucking sucked. I can't sit through that again if I rerun this.
I get what your saying but King wrote that back in 84 when casual homophobia was not only accepted but expected and encouraged. If you want to bash the movie for it (and why not after they fucked up Stanley's suicide) that's fine, but at the the time book was written things were a lot different and the way that particular murder was reacted to including by my own family is one of the reason that at 42 my family has no clue and never will about my gender stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand. But like...we know homophobia is evil. Same with racism, yet I wouldn't have wanted to see a botched lynching that ends in Pennywise eating a black dude just to hammer the point home that Derry is a trash town inhabited by a trash monster. That much is known. My hope from reading articles was that it would somehow add context that really makes Pennywise excessively depraved, but...I felt nothing in particular for him because honestly, you can't get lower than child-eating Eldritch abomination. All that scene did was make me cry. I mean, nothing even happened to those assholes (that I could tell).

I don't know how it was handled in this move, but I went back and got the book out, and it's pretty clear what Pennywise is meant to represent.

Pennywise.png

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

That's what Pennywise is though. I don't understand the type of context you're looking for that's missing. The scene is horrible and brutal and the assholes get away with it. I think you need these truly horrible scenes to sell the point that it's a "trash town inhabited by a trash monster". It doesn't just kill kids, It influences any evil in people the worst way possible to lead to violence. The scene is important enough in the book, an act of violence big enough, that it starts the cycle again. And to your point on racism, in the book a KKK group burns down a black night club in the 30s, and that's "big" enough to satiate Pennywise for another 27 years.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo...what was this movie trying to be again? Comedy? Horror? The movie left me exhausted and the more I think about it all, the more I disliked this movie. Pennywise's final form was super super disappointing. Just some dumb cartoon head on a spider. The beginning was pretty solid but it just deflates over time.

Only two parts that had me reel back in my seat was with the granny. When you hear the footsteps come charging towards you, I had flashbacks to Alien Isolation so I was like "wtf is coming towards me!"

And the beginning. Ugh it was pretty uncomfortable and I could feel it with the audience there too. Simply awful. I don't think I could watch that scene again.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out . I was bored. Movie was way too long. 3 hours?!?!?!?!!??!!? Wtf

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think you need these truly horrible scenes to sell the point that it's a "trash town inhabited by a trash monster".
That was all set up in the first film though. The Losers Club are subjected to vicious, dangerous, even bigoted bullying. The one girl's father is abusive. Other town members are just small-time assholes. Pennywise's first victim that we see is a toddler. Also to people somewhat media-savvy, it's a small northeastern town in a Stephen King property; they're always filled with nothing but trash folks. Practically anyone going into Chapter 2 was given that context already to the point where the hate crime scene feels patronizing and self-indulgent.

It was basically the equivalent of news articles talking about how Trump supporters are legitimately bigoted and not actually worried about the economy. Gee! I couldn't tell!

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
That was all set up in the first film though. The Losers Club are subjected to vicious, dangerous, even bigoted bullying. The one girl's father is abusive. Other town members are just small-time assholes. Pennywise's first victim that we see is a toddler. Also to people somewhat media-savvy, it's a small northeastern town in a Stephen King property; they're always filled with nothing but trash folks. Practically anyone going into Chapter 2 was given that context already to the point where the hate crime scene feels patronizing and self-indulgent.

It was basically the equivalent of news articles talking about how Trump supporters are legitimately bigoted and not actually worried about the economy. Gee! I couldn't tell!

People being assholes only hinted to the true depavity though, which is set on full display in that scene

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People being assholes only hinted to the true depavity though, which is set on full display in that scene
You think the kid getting his stomach cut into, and the same perpetrator stabbing his father to death are just normal displays of grumpiness?

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
All this buzz around Bill Hader, but I thought James Ransone sas great.

Little disappointed at the lack of Tom showing up later.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
You think the kid getting his stomach cut into, and the same perpetrator stabbing his father to death are just normal displays of grumpiness?
I mean the influence It has on the town of Derry in general, which is seen in the first movie as adults turning the other way while bad things happen. I am kind of making a distinction between that and It controlling Henry Bowers, which has this whole subplot attached to it as he's used by IT to try to kill the losers. But, I could agree with you that the Henry scenes in the first movie are probably enough to tell you that IT is fucked up. I can't agree that the Adrian Mellon scene is self indulgent. I don't see it as patronizing. It's obvious sure (It = bad!, It is Derry) but I kind of see that as the point, that's the horror. But I do understand your perspective, and I acknowledge that mine is biased from loving the book and being, well maybe happy isn't the right word, satisfied that this important scene was adapted.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly all that stuff was toned way down from the book, to the detriment of the overall work.

From a post I made on the old site, regarding part 1:

Derry in the book is a diseased place representing everything wrong with a small to mid sized American town. People participating in and enabling racism, homophobia, child abuse, and everything else you can think of. IT feeds off of this like a parasite, and the adults (plus kids like Henry) are complicit in its periodical reigns of terror. The film has some of this stuff, but never goes far enough for it to come to the forefront in order to drive the point home and make the viewer genuinely uncomfortable. There's only one scene of adults ignoring Henry's bullying. The farthest we get into racism is one scene where Henry calls Mike an "outsider". No one says the N-word, we don't delve into the racial motivations behind the Black Spot, we don't see Henry kill Mike's dog then get a pat on the back from his racist dad about it. Bev's dad is creepy, but he never escalates into full blown child abuse until near the end of the film. The end result is that Derry lacks any sort of character as being this awful pit of evil that IT would gleefully nest in, instead it's just a town with some creepy buildings where stuff happens. It feels like a lot of this was excised because the producers were scared at the idea of making any viewers genuinely uncomfortable with anything outside of IT's multiple scary and gross forms. I watched the RedLetterMedia review of the film after getting home, and their half-criticism of calling this a "marketable film" is very on point in that regard.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
What did y'all think of the alien revelation?

That SciFi twist kinda took me out of it a bit.

I think they could have done better than the physical "jar with relics in it". Where did Mike get that jar from lol
The whole "past must meet future" stuff is like trying to abbreviate the entire tone of the book . The book sells this by furiously switching between final encounter as kids and the adults

I would have preferred if they saw the vision of IT while they were kids. I think you needed something to show that It's always been there. I don't see it as a scifi twist, It being an impossible shape shifter the entire time and all. But this just all makes me wish that this were done as a series instead of 2 movies. I thought the movie was great but it would have been better if they could tease out the supernatural stuff over multiple episodes instead of jamming it in there as they did.

EDIT: accidentially had my whole post in italics just like 50% of the end of the book

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I enjoyed this way more than the first movie. Felt much more like a proper horror film.

Only two major missteps were in the final battle with the deflated baby Pennywise and that quip about them being all grown up. I would have preferred a full cosmic battle like the book but separating the gang and having them face Pennywise in some form served a similar function.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
That's what Pennywise is though. I don't understand the type of context you're looking for that's missing. The scene is horrible and brutal and the assholes get away with it. I think you need these truly horrible scenes to sell the point that it's a "trash town inhabited by a trash monster". It doesn't just kill kids, It influences any evil in people the worst way possible to lead to violence. The scene is important enough in the book, an act of violence big enough, that it starts the cycle again. And to your point on racism, in the book a KKK group burns down a black night club in the 30s, and that's "big" enough to satiate Pennywise for another 27 years.
But like if you remove that scene from the movie absolutely nothing changes. That scene could have taken place in any city in the world, it does nothing to mythologize Derry or Pennywise in any sort of way.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I can see why the opening scene in the movie doesn't quite work because it's a sequel and the world and pennywise is already all set up.

In the book its like the second chapter I believe so it's a big part in establishing and setting the tone of the world we are living in within the book and Derry specifically as well as acting as the catalyst for Mike to make the call.

I can see how this happening after all the kid stuff happening could feel like its trying for shock value.

Nov 2, 2017
I think a big part of that scene in the book too, which the movie doesn't have, is that it focuses on the police investigation, which serves to demonstrate how the police and Derry itself kind of turn a blind eye to Pennywise.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
But like if you remove that scene from the movie absolutely nothing changes. That scene could have taken place in any city in the world, it does nothing to mythologize Derry or Pennywise in any sort of way.
It did happen in Bangor which Derry is based on, of course it could happen anywhere

I think a big part of that scene in the book too, which the movie doesn't have, is that it focuses on the police investigation, which serves to demonstrate how the police and Derry itself kind of turn a blind eye to Pennywise.
Yeah they probably should have included this.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Enjoyed it so much more than the first film, which felt like Stand By Me with a scary baby head clown.

This installmemt actually felt like a horror movie.

Some of the complaints in this thread are laughable.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Enjoyed it so much more than the first film, which felt like Stand By Me with a scary baby head clown.

This installmemt actually felt like a horror movie.

Some of the complaints in this thread are laughable.

Chapter 2 is way more goofy than the first, though neither films are trying to be horror films really.

It's an adventure movie with horror tone.

Jun 23, 2019
I just got out of it. Am I the only one who thought the movie was great the first half and then just devolved into a mess the 2nd half? Like Pennywise is an alien? Richie was in love with Eddie, but had no way of setting up that reveal except for the flashback? No explanation for the Dead Lights and an even more vague explanation of what Pennywise was? Like the more I'm thinking about it, the more angry I'm getting. I knew the movies were going to have to change to fit, but not like this.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I just laugh at the fact they think the talking turtle is too ridiculous, and yet Pennywise constantly mimics the most absurd shit and is frequently a ridiculous CGI monstrosity.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Got out of the movie a few hours ago. The movie was scary for the first half then fell off. The jump scares were kind of predictable. The bully had no purpose whatsoever in the movie. I didn't get what his point was. I also felt that making Stanley's suicide into something heroic or a sacrifice was not a good idea.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
The Bowers stuff in the book when they are adults I believe if I remember correctly was to imply pennywise was a little scared of them being back. He was using Bowers to try and take them out because they had beaten him once already. Which didn't really come across in this one.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The Bowers stuff in the book when they are adults I believe if I remember correctly was to imply pennywise was a little scared of them being back. He was using Bowers to try and take them out because they had beaten him once already. Which didn't really come across in this one.

This one seemed to imply that he manipulated them to get them there. That he wanted them to do the ritual just to fuck with them more because he knew it would fail.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Chapter 2 is way more goofy than the first, though neither films are trying to be horror films really.

It's an adventure movie with horror tone.
Yeah it was goofy but the jokes landed. In the first film the jokes where all "ha ha aren't potty mouth 80s kids funny".

I found Chapter 1 to be excruciatingly boring, like i said, it felt like Stand By Me eith some horror thrown in. Like it was more about the kids and less about Pennywise.

Chapter 2 at least felt like Pennywise was the main focus.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah it was goofy but the jokes landed. In the first film the jokes where all "ha ha aren't potty mouth 80s kids funny".

I found Chapter 1 to be excruciatingly boring, like i said, it felt like Stand By Me eith some horror thrown in. Like it was more about the kids and less about Pennywise.

Chapter 2 at least felt like Pennywise was the main focus.

I feel like one of this adaptations biggest downfalls is that neither film felt like it explored pennywise enough.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was okay, but was too long, too slow, too many pace-killing flashbacks.

I loved the The Thing reference.

Nov 2, 2017

His attack on the losers had a much bigger impact in the book as well, the scene with him leaving Mike in a pool of blood at the library was brutal, and led to Mike being incapacitated and unable to go down into the sewers. This was a point of tension because with both Stanley and now Mike out of the picture they felt like the bond or ka-tet or whatever between them was weakened and they might not be able to stop It.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The film is...fun.

I'll get it out of the way: Hate crime opening was fucked up, and it's not like it contextualized Pennywise any differently. Just sucked. Speaking of which, good on killing the other gay character's potential love interest. Like, goddamn film.

And that opening doesn't really inform anything for the rest of the film which becomes admittedly loveable and fun when the Losers get back together. That restaurant scene was amazing until the CGI hit. Good casting despite the hammy acting everywhere. Satisfying endings to their arcs.

Except Stanley. RIP bro.
Yeah that gay bashing part really got me too. Is ruining gay people's lives the trendy new shorthand for evil? Kind of a downer to run into that nastily specific form of misery in a movie that has absolutely nothing interesting or important to say about homophobia.

Anyway, the movie was good and enjoyable overall. It seemed determined to up the ante compared to the prior film, with its more graphic content and the camera's way of lingering on the icky bits. The horror imagery was memorable.

The story and ending were satisfying. I loved the dynamic added by the adult characters. Great casting all around. Everyone was well matched to their kid versions.

I'm rarely one to criticize a movie's length, but this one felt noticeably padded out. It's exactly what I would have expected from an extended cut that sacrifices tight pacing for extra character stuff. Endgame seemed about half as long.

SeriousCow

Aug 29, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
It helps put emphasis on how horrible Pennywise is. He doesn't just kill random people, he preys upon the weak ones. Loners, victims of bullying, oppressed minorities.. that girl for example with the birth mark on her face, he used her "weakness" to lure her in. It's true you could replace the gay-bashing with a different murder and the same movie would have happened, but then Pennywise is just another supernatural killer when he's actually something even more evil than that.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
The second act dragged a bit, but I really liked the movie. Personally I felt like Eddie and Ben's flashbacks were unnecessary, and made the middle of the film too repetitive with jump scares and all that - especially since they already had their tokens, even without the flashbacks. Bowers was also unnecessary - at least in the book he injures Mike, but here he serves no real purpose. They may as well have let him die at the end of the first movie, when Mike pushed him down the well lol.

I also read some comments about how the Ritual of Chud didn't actually fail, and that the entire final confrontation was actually the "battle of wills" through which the Losers overcame their fears. That's pretty cool imo.

Overall an 8/10 for me. The first and last acts were great but that second part could really use some work imo. Also disappointed that Audra and Tom didn't do much here :(

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The totem quest thing reminded me of Endgame's hunt for the Infinity Stones - it added too much time to the movie.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it, liked it a lot. Really want as "Book Cut" though where they mash the two movies together and tell the story in the same Adult - Kid - Adult - Kid format as the books and mini series. I think it would solve a lot of people's issue with Pennywise not being in Part II all that much (which I didn't mind, because I think it worked really well using him sparingly).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This was way more entertaining than the first one. Didn't feel like it dragged either. Pretty brisk pacing to me even with the totem stuff.

Bowers could have been completely cut though and the movie really didn't need that many flashbacks.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Liked Chapter 2 alot, and both of the films as a whole; but it still doesn't quite serve the book complete justice. I thought the Adrian Mellon scene in the second movie was quite effective (One of the scariest scenes in both movies); but I was let down that they didn't include the police interrogating the perps afterward.

Really need to combine both of these movie's strengths and the 90's miniseries strengths into an HBO-Miniseries that covers the rest of the stuff both movies missed. Maybe in another 27 years, Pennywise will resurface...

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The losers don't always fall for the clown's trick, but Bowers can actually kill them. Bowers is Pennywise's most dangerous weapon because he's real.

But Bowers inclusion in the movie wasn't handled well. In the book his purpose is more clear.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
This really fell flat for me. Felt way too long and I disliked a lot of the story changes from the book.
Great performances all round but they didn't get much to work with from whoever wrote the script