• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved Chapter 1 but this one just didn't do it for me. I felt like it didn't really add much from the first movie. The flashbacks didn't seem needed especially since the movie is almost 3 hours long. There seemed to be a ton of jumpscares, the first one seemed more atmospheric.

If they really are planning a 3rd movie a prequel with the original Pennywise, I hope they do something new and unique.

Oct 29, 2017
Personally loved it. But damn, what a strange fucking movie. Final act is bonkers but not quite as bonkers as the book. Still felt like classic King though.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
haven't read the book. I enjoyed the movie but felt some of the humor didn't need to be there.I was hoping the horror would be more mature too since they were adults now. I'm not saying I wanted Pennywise to threaten job loss or high medical bills lol but something..

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched an interview with the director who said he's working on a cut with both movie spliced together and with the deleted scenes added. The most surprising thing he said that he's not done filming yet and he needs to film more scenes for this cut. Like.. what? That sounds a little wild lol

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I just watched an interview with the director who said he's working on a cut with both movie spliced together and with the deleted scenes added. The most surprising thing he said that he's not done filming yet and he needs to film more scenes for this cut. Like.. what? That sounds a little wild lol
Honestly this sounds absolutely amazing

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

I'm up for that.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I felt like there were some really strangely placed comedic moments....

The one that stood out the most was when Eddie was choking the leper and then the leper vomits into Eddies mouth.... why in the world would they use that song in that moment...

Also probably my favorite and scariest moment of the movie was when Beverly visits the old woman. God damn when that old woman runs in after her tall AF... that was goddamn nerve wracking.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Saw it last night, and it was...ok. I enjoyed it for what it was even though it couldn't and didn't really capture everything from the book.

Bill Hader was great though

i was dying laughing when he saw the deadlights

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I want to see it again just to see how I feel about it then, but I wasn't too into it on the first viewing. A lot of the horror didn't land this time around, and the only part that came close to the first one tonally was the scene in Bev's apartment, but they basically let that play out in its entirety in the trailer.

Also not sure how to feel about the amount of new material with the kids. I love the kids, but it felt like they basically made a whole ass new movie with them and it makes the flow of the movie weird. Plus suddenly introducing things like the club house, which is apparently super important to them, makes the timeline of the first one questionable (like when I would watch the DBZ movies as a kid and I tried to figure out where Broly fits into the chronology of the series). It also cut into time I wish could have been given to explore the characters as adults, cause with the exception of Richie they were all sort of flat. Even things like the romance with Ben and Bev happens entirely through a couple of looks they give each other.

But hey, it's better than the TV movie, as low a bar as that is.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved both chapters I really hope neither happen. Unless king eventually writes a book about it.
Hopefully neither happens and we get a good TV series that is a lot more accurate to the book in a few years. The latest two films are really a theme park version of IT with little to none of the subtext of the book.

Oct 30, 2017
It was okay. Not nearly as good as Chapter 1. I felt that Pennywise was withheld for large parts of the movie and his confrontation with the Losers at the end was sort of an exposition dump ("oh Mike, you didn't tell them that all these people had DIED when they tried this before? Shame on you hahaha!") with minimal stakes. Eddie's death lost a lot of emotional impact with the "I fucked your mom" line to Ritchie and it seemed a lot of the film followed the MCU pattern of any serious moment being immediately followed by some weird comedic moment.

Most of Eddie and Ritchie's relationship (both as child and adult)
McAvoy absolutely nails the stutter that child-Bill lacked...hell, McAvoy plays the shit out of adult Bill. Excellent performance.
King's cameo
The opening with Mellon's murder.

Dislikes
Formulaic jump scares
Film structure was repetitive (Loser...interaction with Pennywise (jump scare)...switch Loser...interaction with Pennywise (jump scare)...repeat)
Forced comedy
Fucking Patrick Hockstetter driving Henry around like the skeleton cabbie from Halloweentown

I don't know, I'm still processing the movie but a lot of that processing is also trying to recall the events of the film since it feels, honestly, forgettable.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Saw it Saturday and I liked it, and it's got some flaws, but the positives outweigh the negatives

Pros:

The final battle and ITs true form! I really loved how the battle went down. The imagery/scenes when the losers got split up was awesome. Very satisfying and heartbreaking once Eddie died

The scene with Pennywise and the girl under the bleachers was fucking great!

Phenomenal casting. I absolutely loved Mikes character this time around. The scene where he drugs bill to show him the vision of Pennywise coming to earth was really cool visually

The restaurant scene was fantastic!

I must be the only one who really liked the stuff with Henry Bowers. I didn't feel like that was a waste of time at all. I loved the scene with him in the mental hospital and he sees the balloon and goes crazy.

Spider Stan was fucking gruesome as hell holyshit lol! So awesome

Bill Skarsgard once again kills it as Pennywise. Definitely a lot more brutal this time around, but still playful and childlike haha. I almost shed a tear for ol Pennywise at the end when he said "look at you, you're all grown up!" I thought that was a great line as he was dying.

I expected to be distracted by the "de-aging" and CGI based on some complaints I've read but it didn't bother me at all and I honestly didn't even notice the de aging stuff. Some CGI looked a bit weird tho, like the Paul Bunyan scene lol

Loved the Pennywise/Richie scene where he's telling Richie he knows his dirty secret and the people in the back ground are dancing all weird. Really cool shot.

lol the Pomeranian scene made me jump out of my seat. Did not see that coming

Cons:

Definitely felt like a 3 hour movie. Some of these scenes felt unnecessary and could have been cut. The flashback scene with Ben and Bev where she turns into Ghost Rider was just bad and should been cut.

I wasn't really buying the Richie + Eddie romance angle for some reason. Just felt a bit tacked on. I totally get that Richie is hiding that he's gay but I never really felt like he was in love with Eddie or anything like that.

Didn't like the suicide explanation but I'm not really outraged over it. Just felt that they could have left that part alone

Some of the swearing got on my nerves. It really felt forced in a lot scenes, especially during the final fight, which was my only gripe during those scenes.

Some of the stuff with Eddie was REALLY odd. The song that plays when leper is puking on him in slow motion for 4-5 seconds was just like...huh?! And then the scene where Bowers stabs him in the face, dude is smiling and cracking jokes, really broke immersion for me.

I'd give it a 7.5/10

ColorMeImpressed

Alt account
Banned
Jul 24, 2019
I loved Chapter 1 but this one just didn't do it for me. I felt like it didn't really add much from the first movie. The flashbacks didn't seem needed especially since the movie is almost 3 hours long. There seemed to be a ton of jumpscares, the first one seemed more atmospheric.

If they really are planning a 3rd movie a prequel with the original Pennywise, I hope they do something new and unique.
I liked that the flashbacks were there as a kind if connective tissue to the first film, but I hated that they all followed the same exact formula, and had zero stakes. It ended up really dulling the scares because we see so much in these scenes.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I enjoyed watching it because it's It but sorry that movie was pretty shit.

Haha King your endings suck, your book It ending sucks, we get it. This one wasn't any better.

PW was pretty weaksauce here, the carnival could have been so scary but it was just a lol-distraction.

Ending was silly - you mention the deadlights, you show them, and they are nothing? They literally explained how last time the people did the Chud ritual they all died, so why didnt PW do the exact same thing this time? Oh because lazy writing.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Have not been this disappointed with a movie in quite some time.
Really enjoyed the first one. Would go as far to say that I loved it.
This one just fell flat all the way around to me.
Was not very scary. Was much too long. Just way inferior compared to the first one.
It also was terribly disappointing to me that what I felt was the creepiest scene in the movie was the one we all saw with the initial reveal trailer way back (with the old women at her old apartment).

I should add I never read the book. So I do not care how faithful or not this was to the book itself meaning I was just looking for a good sequel to a horror movie I enjoyed. I had no preconceived notions as to what to expect, etc.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it! Not as much as part 1, but still an entertaining horror blockbuster (we dont ever get those anymore) with a great cast and a fun, creepy villain, great visuals and fantstic music My only real complaint was the ending. But even that didnt sour the rest of the experience. Man that poor girl under the bleachers gets it so bad, but the beggining was tough to watch, not because of pennywise, but because of those biggots, it was absolutely heart wrenching.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I just don't get why it had to be so long. The part where Bill and Bev kiss, it shows the adults kiss, cut to them as kids, cut back to them as adults, cut BACK to them as kids, and cut back to them again as adults. Could've easily shaved off 10 seconds of that there, guys.

Obviously, some of the "scare" scenes needed to be there. Like the giant Paul Bunion attacking part didn't need to be there, they could've just gone straight to Pennywise half of that part. It was lame and did nothing to forward the plot.

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up thinking about that scene where the thing vomits on the guy and it plays the song for a few seconds because it's as confusing as anything in a Neil Breen movie or Gotti.

Just that and the grown up bully plotline are so confusing. Did this thing have an editor?

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, but Stanley's strategic suicide reveal at the end was such a giant WTF.

There were definitely some weird decisions made with the film, but I did enjoy it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it for the most part-I would say I loved 90% of it. There were too many scenes of them deciding to leave and then stay, some of the humor was really out of place like Angel of the Morning, etc.

The positives greatly outweighed the negatives.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People who read more Stephen king books, what's this I'm reading and seeing on YouTube. That all the losers had the shinning, and was one of the reason why it was afraid if them, and why they were able to defeat it.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked seeing Toronto :p
Someone I know told me that they were by the water last year or whenever this was filming and saw Jessica Chastain on a boat and assumed it was It 2, and that ended up being one of the final shots so I guess I was kinda spoiled? lol

I didn't quite get the ending of why the insults of being a clown worked but ok

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why it had to be so long. The part where Bill and Bev kiss, it shows the adults kiss, cut to them as kids, cut back to them as adults, cut BACK to them as kids, and cut back to them again as adults. Could've easily shaved off 10 seconds of that there, guys.

Obviously, some of the "scare" scenes needed to be there. Like the giant Paul Bunion attacking part didn't need to be there, they could've just gone straight to Pennywise half of that part. It was lame and did nothing to forward the plot.
The giant symbol of masculinity attacking the boy struggling with his sexuality? It was necessary. I agree that other scenes could have and should have been shortened, but not that one.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
People who read more Stephen king books, what's this I'm reading and seeing on YouTube. That all the losers had the shinning, and was one of the reason why it was afraid if them, and why they were able to defeat it.

I mean, it's a fan theory. Given the majority of Kings work is connected through the macroverse (which is dealt with extensively in The Dark Tower series of novels) the Shining would be a thing in the world of the novel.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the film too long, I just found the structure incredibly repetitive. Like I was happy to see those characters for three hours, but most of the movie is rinse and repeat with each character. And yeah, the film relies too heavily on goofy CGI. Goofy CGI is not scary. Oh, and the underwater kiss was stupid.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the fight (post heart) I was kinda hoping it would cut back to them holding hands around the relic. Signifying they had won the battle of wills. Would have been better than we got.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I thought the first film was also basically the same rinse and repeat with each character. Its just kinda a fault of the story. There's 6 or so kids? They want each of them to have their moment confronting their fear.... i sorta expected it, so it didn't really bother me.

I like the movie. It was fun. But.. either the writing or the acting was fucking awful. I couldn't quite figure out which. James McAvoy especially just felt confused about exactly who he was playing. I relished the scenes with the kids because they were the only ones that didn't feel forced and pretend. i think I could watch Skarsgard's Pennywise through basically anything.

I laughed during that bit where Bowers went after Ritchie for being gay cause it reminded me of the scene in the book with Bowers and Hockstetter. I'd completely forgotten how much sex is in that book about kids.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's just fan wanking. They were under the protection of the turtle who is ITs enemy and opposite on the cosmic plane.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Was hugely disapointed, I really didnt like it at all, and I loved the first. Huge bummer, even with the mixed reception I was still looking forward to it (no opun intended).

Felt like a completely unnecessary rehash of the first movie (down to the same fucking scenes / jokes... here's the three doors again, here's mike's parents trapped in a burning house, heres another scene with Bev covered in blood), hated how the actors were basically mimicking the kids, like all the maneurisms and shit, thats not how people are ffs, people grow up they change, they dont use the same glasses, they change their hair, they lose stutters (or not sure), a million things change, it was way too long, way too much CGI foolery with the various creatures (I felt the first movie was more restraint in that), just overall it didnt gel with me at all.

Oh and remember fat kids, you only get the girl when you are a hot piece of ass yourself, so stop being fat you fat loser fat...fattie. That one hit home hard lol >_>

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I liked it a lot :) I might even like the ending more than both the novel's and the miniseries' ending. Super fun romp, and as someone else said, feels like a big adventure movie with lots of horror thrown in, which is totally to my tastes I'd say.

Here's hoping for a directors cut Bluray edition along the way.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I sit on the movie the more I think I would have loved it unconditionally with a re-edit. Theres a perfect sequel I'm there I just need alot of fat and "scares" taken out of the movie

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main problems I had were with how the handled some of Eddie's scenes (you know the two) and the suicide "twist" at the end

otherwise... I'm not quite sure what context you guys think they're leaving out lol, the first book is proud to be pulpy horror. I guess some of the scenes like the aforementioned Eddie scene and the one where It just laughs at Richie don't make a lot of sense.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Man, how on earth do you make a 3 hours movie with so little content? It felt so bad paced that it made it fell like a 3 hour movie, with so many boring parts.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just fan wanking. They were under the protection of the turtle who is ITs enemy and opposite on the cosmic plane.

The lack of a giant turtle was super disappointing, but I actually kinda prefer the idea that Pennywise is whatever you think it is. The more scared of it you are, the more powerful and grotesque it becomes. Take away that fear and its powerless. Make it play by your rules and it's nothing.

In a way its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness.

If I had a complaint, though, I really didn't like how the openly gay couple got beaten up and then one of them got eaten by Pennywise. That just seemed... needlessly cruel.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The lack of a giant turtle was super disappointing, but I actually kinda prefer the idea that Pennywise is whatever you think it is. The more scared of it you are, the more powerful and grotesque it becomes. Take away that fear and its powerless. Make it play by your rules and it's nothing.

In a way its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness.

If I had a complaint, though, I really didn't like how the openly gay couple got beaten up and then one of them got eaten by Pennywise. That just seemed... needlessly cruel.
Yeah I never expected them to do the real Ritual of Chuud or go full cosmic but the direction they did take was closer and better than the miniseries literally being just a spider.

It's just weird that people are associating the Shining with the losers because King is pretty explicit to the point of rewrites in reprints of where things fit in his universe and while good ol Bob Grey himself has some serious power connections to todash space and the tower there is nothing involving shine in that book.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I saw it last Thursday, and aside from Ben's de-ageing not working as well as the other kids (mainly because they fail to hide how much taller he is) I loved the shit out of it, changes and all. The more I think about it, the more I feel the same.

There's some really smart adaptation going on here, like turning the final battle from an unfilmable battle of wills to a battle of wits, and putting Bill Sarsgard's performance into the giant spider form.

Yup. Loved it. Can't wait for the epic 6+ hour version. Bring it on.

Oct 30, 2017
I watched the RLM review last night and for the most part I agreed with both opinions. However, they mention Pennywise's line once he is dying where he says, "you're all so grown up" and I recalled that scene and actually remembered feeling bad for Pennywise when I was in the theater. He just looked so old and helpless and his final line sounded as if he was almost proud of them or something.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was a big ole pile of shit. I love the first movie and this was well a fucking mess of a movie. Some of the dumbest CGI monsters I've ever seen. I laughed out loud at old lady cgi creature. Not entirely sure why it needed to be so long, you could cut out the Bowers stuff and it wouldnt make a lick of difference.

Bill Hader was great though.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after having time to sit with it I've concluded that the greatest accomplishment of these two IT films is the design & execution of Pennywise (clown form).

He feels so much more designed and thought out than Curry's version or even King's description. It's obvious that a lot of consideration went into the clothes, the make up, the physical tics and the voice. Skarsgard is terrific casting but I think a lot of credit is due to the make-up design of his head and his dirty, oddly out-of-time victorian clothes.

Compared to Curry's look and the book description the new Pennywise actually feels ancient yet timeless. When it comes to aesthetic motifs, the choice to make all the balloons red is an underrated master stroke. The symbol of the specifically red balloons feels like an aspect of the character that was always there and I think it's clearly become iconic now that it's popping up in parody.

Was hugely disapointed, I really didnt like it at all, and I loved the first. Huge bummer, even with the mixed reception I was still looking forward to it (no opun intended).

Felt like a completely unnecessary rehash of the first movie (down to the same fucking scenes / jokes... here's the three doors again, here's mike's parents trapped in a burning house, heres another scene with Bev covered in blood), hated how the actors were basically mimicking the kids, like all the maneurisms and shit, thats not how people are ffs, people grow up they change, they dont use the same glasses, they change their hair, they lose stutters (or not sure), a million things change, it was way too long, way too much CGI foolery with the various creatures (I felt the first movie was more restraint in that), just overall it didnt gel with me at all.

Oh and remember fat kids, you only get the girl when you are a hot piece of ass yourself, so stop being fat you fat loser fat...fattie. That one hit home hard lol >_>
Agree about the fat kid thing but everything else is just a result of untying the simultaneous narratives running through the book and placing them chronologically.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
So after having time to sit with it I've concluded that the greatest accomplishment of these two IT films is the design & execution of Pennywise (clown form).

He feels so much more designed and thought out than Curry's version or even King's description. It's obvious that a lot of consideration went into the clothes, the make up, the physical tics and the voice. Skarsgard is terrific casting but I think a lot of credit is due to the make-up design of his head and his dirty, oddly out-of-time victorian clothes.

Compared to Curry's look and the book description the new Pennywise actually feels ancient yet timeless. When it comes to aesthetic motifs, the choice to make all the balloons red is an underrated master stroke. The symbol of the specifically red balloons feels like an aspect of the character that was always there and I think it's clearly become iconic now that it's popping up in parody.

I agree wholeheartedly, and it's a real shame that we don't get more time with that version of the character.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly, and it's a real shame that we don't get more time with that version of the character.
True, but we got more in the sequel than we did in the original and the movie was so much better whenever he was on screen.

I began reading IT yesterday for the first time and today I was listening to the audiobook at work and it's just weird hearing IT performed like a regular dude.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this, very well said.