• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this tonight, was quite bored throughout tbh, it's just passable. Also never scary, the horror was actually bad and some ripoff of the thing yeah.
The suicide note was atrocious, and I thought Mike got fuckall to do in the movie, there was nothing with him, no scene of trauma, etc. He was just there to do exposition.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of genuine great moments and performances but that last major set piece lasted an hour, the whole side plot with the bully from the first movie didn't fit as well into this movie and the overuse of CG monsters was fairly jarring and almost comical at times. The movie was mostly carried by the set up and foundation laid out by the first one as well as the performances of the adult actors. Definitely needed to cut down the runtime, lower the amount of cheesy one liners during legit horrifying moments and change lighting during CG monster encounters. The final suicide bit didn't really sit well with me all that well.

I read the book a long time ago and watched the TV series. This is still much better than the TV series and the adult section in the book/TV show were always a drop down in quality from the childhood stuff.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda elated but this talk of the dark tower is making me wonder if you need to read more of Kings stuff to understand the dark tower or it it's not necessary.
The Dark Tower was my first King and I say it works by itself. There's a lot of connections to other stuff he did but mostly arefan service. The most important ones he explain

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is a mess but was a pretty entertaining mess. Which, frankly, the book was too. Though they were messes in different ways. The gay bashing is actually an improvement on the scene in the book, which has cringey stereotypes on top. The book's ending would never work on film and the one they used was pretty good. Bev's character is still pretty weak but at least

she didn't sleep with all the losers at the end of the kid part.

Oct 26, 2017
Just got out. I loved the first one, but this one was fucking shit. The kids stuff needed cut real bad. It felt tacked on, and poorly filmed/produced/whatever. Like the kids in the clubhouse? They clearly re-recorded all of their audio in a studio. It sounded so unnatural and bad. Someone needs to do a cut where as the adults remember, they remember shit from part 1. Then cut out 95% of the new kid's stuff.

Also, remove 8 of the 10 "January embers" shit, because holy fuck, they referenced that so much it lost all impact.

Fuck, I am sad how bad this movie is.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I just started reading the book and I think that plot with the murder of Adrian Mellon plays a lot better in the book. The movie really fumbled the whole hate crime aspect of the murder, it just felt like random abject cruelty with no deeper commentary. In the book it's made clear that the whole town of Derry is implicated in his murder, because prejudice has been normalized and accepted, notwithstanding the presence of the literal monster.
Yeah, my friends said that in the book it was part of Derry's history and there was a really significant plot thread about the effect that the town has on people. Also from what I understand the perpetrators were tried and charged with murder?

So yeah, they missed like every target with that one.

Oct 26, 2017
It surprised me how much I didn't care for the adults. Individually, they are great actors. Together, their chemistry sucked. They never felt like old friends.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i have some free movie tickets, and it's the only one showing right now... should i watch it? first one was okay, not great but some cool moments...

i see a lot of criticism, i'm not sure i shoudl watch it but i would like to see the conclusion at least (i saw the original movie, didn't read the book)

Oct 28, 2017
i have some free movie tickets, and it's the only one showing right now... should i watch it? first one was okay, not great but some cool moments...

i see a lot of criticism, i'm not sure i shoudl watch it but i would like to see the conclusion at least (i saw the original movie, didn't read the book)

It's a redbox at best. It's a slog to get through and you will leave feeling disappointed.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The movie sucked. CGI crap fest, messy story that was ripped off a video game, and just not scary at all. Comedy was decent at least. Such a disappointment.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I would like to see a version of these two films interspliced the way they are in the book even though I don't think it would be better than what we got. I think what would happen is the children's stuff wouldn't be nearly as good but the adult stuff would be better. So instead of having one really good movie and one decent movie you'd have one super long, messy movie that's pretty good but is jarring.

And the funny thing is I feel like they would need to have some extra stuff to make it really worn despite being over five hours at that point.

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to see a version of these two films interspliced the way they are in the book even though I don't think it would be better than what we got. I think what would happen is the children's stuff wouldn't be nearly as good but the adult stuff would be better. So instead of having one really good movie and one decent movie you'd have one super long, messy movie that's pretty good but is jarring.

And the funny thing is I feel like they would need to have some extra stuff to make it really worn despite being over five hours at that point.
I think a cut where they used the kids stories from 1 in place of the new ones in two cuts down a lot of fat, and makes the film a whole lot better. The new flashbacks to childhood were worst part of this movie.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it yesterday and thought it was alright. Not as bad as people make it out to be but also nothing special.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it. This was more of a comedy than anything else and for that I enjoyed it. I would give the movie a 6.

If you go into this thinking you are about to watch an even remotely scary movie, you are making a huge mistake.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video was made after the first film but it's still relevant to the sequel and still hilarious.

Jenny Nicholson: Things You Need To Know About Pennywise

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What about the power of love giving Beverly the strength of 10 men thus allowing her to pull Ben up out of the quicksand deathtrap
You don't need money, don't take fame
Don't need no credit card to ride this train
It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes
But it might just save your life
That's the power of love
That's the power of love

I should have quoted the video above my post haha

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully in a few years we get a proper TV show version of It. Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix. Adapt the actual damn book.

What about the power of love giving Beverly the strength of 10 men thus allowing her to pull Ben up out of the quicksand deathtrap
Movie was terrible at parts, but this was fine for me. The dirt and sand wasn't real. It was a battle of wills, as Mike said right before.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The way this movie transitioned between scenes and memories was fucking awful. The amount of apparent jump scare moments was also trash.

The overal gore and story was okay but damn I was expecting a little bit more substance.

1 > 2 imo

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Not a great movie.

Off topic a bit, but I think I saw Billy the big mouth bass on the wall in a flashback. Not a big deal, but Billy came out in 1998 haha.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
It Chapter Two, more like Shit Crapter Poo

I'm sorry, I needed to get that out of my system.

It was just... bad. Not scary, not exciting and wow, some of you weren't kidding about the amount of CGI they threw on screen.

There were so many good things they could have done - especially just more cosmic horror in general. Even that scene they had of Pennywise putting on make-up should have been an extended sequence taking place in the old circus. Anything to do with the lore of Pennywise was interesting and should have gone further. Instead we got a bunch of boring side quests for the Losers, and Pennywise becomes a dumb CGI spider monster. Also, why did Bowers have to be dragged back into it?

The only moments I felt anything were from Bill Hader. I felt nothing the whole movie but the moment Richie bursts into tears at the end got me. Damn Bill, who'd do you wrong like that.

The first movie wasn't perfect either, but at least it was fun and mostly entertaining, and there were moments that were genuinely creepy. Chapter 2 has none of these redeeming qualities.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to seeing it despite liking the first a good amount since the negative reviews and length had put me off seeing this right away.

It does feel overly long and the structure does inherently feel like a rehash of the first, and like a typical sequel despite being all one book, but I liked this a lot more than I expected to. The first was definitely the better film for feeling more fresh, and capturing the unease of Derry along with laying out the mystery of Pennywise's origin and threat, as well as laying out the adventure inherent to this group of friends facing this monster. It just all felt more natural in the first film.

The sequel did feel like a good companion piece to the first in that we get to know the losers more (maybe not for Mike and Stanley quite as much) but it really reinforces for me that the story isn't really about Pennywise as a monster or why neither film is really that "scary", it's more about trauma, fears, insecurities, and secrets for not just the Losers, but that festers in the whole town, especially since it's a small town. People don't talk about it and the Losers mainly try to run and hide from it all for most of their lives and it sort of cripples them as adults in some ways. That's why despite the first movie also having the Losers have to face their fears, this time, they can't just win by standing up to their demons, but take away it's power over them. I mean, the metaphor isn't exactly elegant with them shouting things at Pennywise to take away his strength, but some of the emotions that the Loser's had to cope with resonated with me, even if I think the trauma aspect was explored better in the first film, I thought that this might have done a little more exploring of how they actually felt about it.

The ending was odd, but in terms of the idea of the Losers being best friends as kids but then everyone running away from their problems as well as Derry and forgetting about it was an interesting metaphor and to have it resolved by them actually being able to re-establish the bond of the friendships they had lost so long ago. It may not be that scary of a film and it may be pretty hokey because of it, but I really like that the movie is actually more about these themes, because it makes the story that much more interesting to me than just a regular monster horror film. It actually got me emotional at parts and I can't think of the last horror movie to evoke emotions like that besides just fear and dread. Plus, I really appreciate the production values in both Chapter 1 and 2 since horror often doesn't go for spectacle and this was just an awesome throwback to horror movies and even adventure/drama films from the 80s and 90s in so many ways.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
You know, i think it's one thing for the original film to portray the kids treating each other like assholes as many kids do and another for the sequel to act like constantly giving your friends shit and putting them down is the sign of a healthy friendship.

Yeah, I thought this was bizarre. Richie in particular felt like a bully, not a friend.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, I didn't think the movie was going to be this bad.

It really didn't need to be this long. I had never been so frustrated watching a movie.

I don't think I want a refund for my tickets, I just want my 3 hours back.

Nov 23, 2017
Finally got around to seeing it despite liking the first a good amount since the negative reviews and length had put me off seeing this right away.

It does feel overly long and the structure does inherently feel like a rehash of the first, and like a typical sequel despite being all one book, but I liked this a lot more than I expected to. The first was definitely the better film for feeling more fresh, and capturing the unease of Derry along with laying out the mystery of Pennywise's origin and threat, as well as laying out the adventure inherent to this group of friends facing this monster. It just all felt more natural in the first film.

The sequel did feel like a good companion piece to the first in that we get to know the losers more (maybe not for Mike and Stanley quite as much) but it really reinforces for me that the story isn't really about Pennywise as a monster or why neither film is really that "scary", it's more about trauma, fears, insecurities, and secrets for not just the Losers, but that festers in the whole town, especially since it's a small town. People don't talk about it and the Losers mainly try to run and hide from it all for most of their lives and it sort of cripples them as adults in some ways. That's why despite the first movie also having the Losers have to face their fears, this time, they can't just win by standing up to their demons, but take away it's power over them. I mean, the metaphor isn't exactly elegant with them shouting things at Pennywise to take away his strength, but some of the emotions that the Loser's had to cope with resonated with me, even if I think the trauma aspect was explored better in the first film, I thought that this might have done a little more exploring of how they actually felt about it.

The ending was odd, but in terms of the idea of the Losers being best friends as kids but then everyone running away from their problems as well as Derry and forgetting about it was an interesting metaphor and to have it resolved by them actually being able to re-establish the bond of the friendships they had lost so long ago. It may not be that scary of a film and it may be pretty hokey because of it, but I really like that the movie is actually more about these themes, because it makes the story that much more interesting to me than just a regular monster horror film. It actually got me emotional at parts and I can't think of the last horror movie to evoke emotions like that besides just fear and dread. Plus, I really appreciate the production values in both Chapter 1 and 2 since horror often doesn't go for spectacle and this was just an awesome throwback to horror movies and even adventure/drama films from the 80s and 90s in so many ways.
This is how I felt about it too. The one gripe I have about Chapter 2 is that I wish they delved into the cosmic horror more.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyable mess that needs severe editing. When they got to the sewer and there was an hour left, I was worried. The whole ritual bit is thrown in badly, then thrown out badly.Then everyone has a personal nightmare run in with Pennywise again, after several.

I didnt mind new flashbacks for the kids, but there are so many OLD flashbacks, it was like they didnt trust us to remember anything from the first movie. I watched Chapter 1 the night before viewing, but Chapter 2 is full of completely seen material from Chapter 1. Dont forget, Bill and Bev kissed! Yeah... I remember! Remember when Bill punched Ritchie? Yeah, it was in Ch1 demmit. They could have shown 2 second flashbacks to several scenes that they almost rerun in their entirety.

But I will say, Eddie and even Ben's adult actors were uncanny in their match of facial features. I like Chastain but she looked nothing like Bev.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Went in with really high expectations and came out really disappointed. Like how did they fuck this up so bad? I'm a big fan of the first movie, it has genuinely creepy and tense moments but this? Fucking Goosebumps level CGI quality monsters that served no purpose other than to side eye my Wife sitting next to me. The old woman in particular looked horrendous, like some bride of the Crypt Keeper or some shit.

As good as some of the actors are individually as a group they felt miscast. No chemistry between any of them which is probably why the film had to keep reminding you of which kid they meant to represent. Feels like I'm on a roll of bad movies at the cinema. Annabelle comes home, The Nun, IT 2, Insidious The last key.....wow I've seen some shit.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Oh I just wanted to say, the everybody go out into town and remember stuff (no totems) followed by everyone having a Pennywise runin and new memory is straight structure from the book. Its what makes it readable despite its length.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Seriously though who's decision was it to make his final form a spider with a giant clown head? Shit was beyond stupid. Just awful design.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though who's decision was it to make his final form a spider with a giant clown head? Shit was beyond stupid. Just awful design.
I thought it looked cool when the back of his head was opened up and the deadlights were going through his head. But other than that yeah. Not a fan of clown face on spider body. But I think they needed to have a final form where he could still visibly talk to them

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As time goes on, more and more decisions on this film seem just outright stupid, a lot of missed opportunities.

I get they wouldn't go down the creepy horror route due to how humourous and 'light' the first one was, but damn there is virtually no real horror, it's like a cheap slasher film almost.

Also do they not understand, it was 50/50 kids/pennywise, why people loved the first one. They underused Bill Skarsgard immensly.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Shame they went heavy on the monsters other than Pennywise. Don't look nearly as good and kinda deprives Bill, the pennywise scenes were the best. Although he had better stuff to work with in part 1.

Oct 28, 2017
As time goes on, more and more decisions on this film seem just outright stupid, a lot of missed opportunities.

I get they wouldn't go down the creepy horror route due to how humourous and 'light' the first one was, but damn there is virtually no real horror, it's like a cheap slasher film almost.

Also do they not understand, it was 50/50 kids/pennywise, why people loved the first one. They underused Bill Skarsgard immensly.

Pennywise wasnt scary. He never seemed to pose any kind of threat to the main cast. He killed a few nobodies but he really just toyed with the Losers which left scenes bereft of tension.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that surprised at the reactions here, but I am surprised that the movie is viewed so negatively compared to Chapter 1. I rewatched 1 the night before seeing 2 so that my son could come with, and they're really quite alike in both charms and flaws. Neither is that scary, both feel like a series of encounters and then a "let's get em" ending that doesn't quite land, but both are pretty enjoyable.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not that surprised at the reactions here, but I am surprised that the movie is viewed so negatively compared to Chapter 1. I rewatched 1 the night before seeing 2 so that my son could come with, and they're really quite alike in both charms and flaws. Neither is that scary, both feel like a series of encounters and then a "let's get em" ending that doesn't quite land, but both are pretty enjoyable.
I agree that both have similar flaws, what I think happened is that the charm of the kid cast help the first movie in most people memories

Oct 31, 2017
The CGI was SOOOOO beyond unconvincing.

I enjoyed it, but the direction of the film was really odd. It was almost satirical. It was also way too long and i didn't like the extremely predictable structure in the middle.

Also i hated the camerawork