• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this false, dog piling and what that leads to (the person being dog piled losing their cool) is bad here. But it's like that on every forum where people have differing opinions. It's not unique to Era. It happened before down the block, it happened before here and it will happen long after we are all gone. It's human nature to team up and shit on someone. It predates the internet, it probaby started with the first civilizations.
I mean, I was on GameFAQs for nearly a decade, a spinoff site from it around as long and I never saw that sort of thing on either of those places. You'd get a couple people maybe taking a dig at someone and that was it. On here you'll sometimes continue to see dogpiling several pages into a thread.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I made this post a while back, but I think the points still stand...

I think people online just lack a bit of... how can I say it... a bit of humanity.

There's nothing wrong with disliking something, but you can express your dislike without being a twat to others and those who like it.

If I walked into a room in real life full of people who liked a game and I didn't, there's no way I'd express myself the way some people do on this forum.

Sure I could, but it's not how we really interact with each other on a human level.

I'd say I'm glad it resonated with you, here's why it didn't quite do it for me, then we'd have a discussion.

We're all on here, using fake names, communicating in a way that struggles to carry tone.

But I find it hard to believe half of the posters on here would talk to others in the real world like they do on this forum.

I also find it a bit odd that people think it's weird that people get emotionally invested in their entertainment. Films, games, books... they're all designed to move us, to touch us.

We can't hold games up as art - something meant to connect with us on a deeper level - then spit our dummy out when people get attached.

If someone has sunk a few hundred hours into something and you tell them it's shit in every way imaginable, it's going to irk them on some level.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't critique games or that we should pull our punches, but we should also realise that we are talking to real people.

On the other side, people have to realise criticism isn't a personal attack - but again, on some level, blunt criticism will annoy people.

I can't come on here and say 'that's shit, that's really shit, and that's even shitter', get a negative response and then be like 'it's just my opinion, it doesn't stop you enjoying your game'.

That's just shit.

That's not how interacting as human beings actually works. You can call it childish on some level, but it is what it is.

We should welcome criticism, but we should also communicate with people with a bit more civility. We should realise that if blunt and poorly worded, our criticism will piss people off.

Some people might say it's pandering, but if people were a little less ferocious online, the internet would be a nicer place.

Too many flippant, inflammatory posts which not only mock games but the people who play them go unpunished in my opinion.

Basically, we just need to treat each other with a bit of respect... it's not fucking hard. lol

Best post in this thread.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean, I was on GameFAQs for nearly a decade, a spinoff site from it around as long and I never saw that sort of thing on either of those places. You'd get a couple people maybe taking a dig at someone and that was it. On here you'll sometimes continue to see dogpiling several pages into a thread.
Well it depends, is the comment on the first page and then every new person points out how dumb that opinion is.

I mean sometimes a opinion is just bad. If knew someone got shitted on for 3 pages after they posted it before hand I probably would hold off on quoting it. But you know how it is, you intend to read through the whole thread but then there is that one comment where you just got to say "no"

Oct 25, 2017
Post A - 'I do not like...'

Post B - 'I can see your perspective, but here's my anecdotal or factual response'

Can we perhaps add some sort of 'flair' if that's what it's called nowadays to Post B - that only the person who made Post A can see? But others can also see that's been clicked?

A sort of 'thanks' button or similar acknowledgment that conveys 'I take your point but we can agree to disagree'?

I don't have the solution. I think with new consoles on the horizon we need to understand the generally accepted behaviour around those sort of threads veers too much into the stereotype that we spend every other year/month/week in between trying to say we've grown out of - Bethesda woooo!'s etc.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This forum is notorious for dog-piling.

I've experienced that first hand and second hand, but its not limited to this forum alone. The internet is a really detached way for humans to be interacting.

Can also relate to OP in regards to Pokemon related threads.... 100% right in that those became less about discussion and more about just being "right" to the point of it getting very personal. Ended up requesting a lengthy ban just because of how draining the Pokemon community was on this site.

What are some examples of politics or political correctness in the gaming section that you've found irritating?

I know you're talking to someone else, but last year I got accused of being "anti progressive" among more hurtful things things for disliking the writing in Starfox Command, which resulted in this nonsensical dogpile where someone got a warning for abusing the report system. It fucked with my head so bad and the only reason im still alive is because the mod I talked to about the situation was very understanding.

Another example was a large amount of people in regards to the things happening with Etika where significant amount of people treated him like actual garbage because of something hes said in the past. I was always in there trying to tell people to take these situations seriously and got ignored or belittled for even suggesting that he seemed to have serious issues.

I have other examples but I don't feel like going on about it

Last edited:

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I blame Twitter for the dog piling culture. People see a ridiculuous tweet and they reply to that.

In the other hand, a forum is not supposed to work like that. When you see a ridiculous take, you should read the thread for a bit (or at least a post or two below in most cases) and if somebody already conveyed the message for you, then don't add to the pile.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're talking to someone else, but last year I got accused of being "anti progressive" among more hurtful things things for disliking the writing in Starfox Command, which resulted in this nonsensical dogpile where someone got a warning for abusing the report system. It fucked with my head so bad and the only reason im still alive is because the mod I talked to about the situation was very understanding.

Another example was a large amount of people in regards to the things happening with Etika where significant amount of people treated him like actual garbage because of something hes said in the past. I was always in there trying to tell people to take these situations seriously and got ignored or belittled for even suggesting that he seemed to have serious issues.

This to me signals that there's something fundamentally wrong with how things are being done here.

I expect trash from the rest of the internet. But NOT from Era. And I think it's important that people actually feel safe in these discussions.

Because Era is progressive, you will end up with a community that deals with disability and mental illness. It shouldn't be a place of aggression.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Because Era is progressive, you will end up with a community that deals with disability and mental illness. It shouldn't be a place of aggression.

For what it's worth, while I think Era as a site does very well in most aspects, there are some pretty heavy blind spots/issues we run into from time to time. I talked about them the most in the toxicity thread about EGS I made a while back, but it basically comes down to when people go way too far, the community either doesn't self regulate them, or puts all the blame/burden onto mods, who are volunteer staff.

It's a place of aggression because we make it one.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, while I think Era as a site does very well in most aspects, there are some pretty heavy blind spots/issues we run into from time to time. I talked about them the most in the toxicity thread about EGS I made a while back, but it basically comes down to when people go way too far, the community either doesn't self regulate them, or puts all the blame/burden onto mods, who are volunteer staff.

It's a place of aggression because we make it one.

There's a lot of things we just don't see or deal with that on the background that moderators do. So I'm not gonna lay any sort of blame on people who are volunteering their time.

However, they are in the unique position to enforce changes. So, you set the tone, and stick to it—people will figure it out (some through bans, others through being saavy).

I've been on the receiving end of some questionable/thoughtless commentary and it's made me anxious. Perhaps not to the level of more serious things, but enough for me to resort to avoidance.

I don't think that's healthy. And I don't think that should be the experience people have to contend with when visiting the site.

I completely agree with you when it comes to the EGS situation. A lot of the rhetoric recently being used about EGS is dangerous (because indie devs are in the crossfire and will be branded sellouts or as taking bribes when they're just trying to earn a living.)

We have to be careful about the kind of rhetoric we're sending to gaming communities at large. ResetEra is influential in the gaming zeitgeist, and if all we're putting out there is anti-developer, anti-creator sentiments, then that's going to send a message that can and will be used to stoke more flames.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I blame Twitter for the dog piling culture. People see a ridiculuous tweet and they reply to that.

In the other hand, a forum is not supposed to work like that. When you see a ridiculous take, you should read the thread for a bit (or at least a post or two below in most cases) and if somebody already conveyed the message for you, then don't add to the pile.

I completely agree with that assessment. There's no proper discourse there due to the way Twitter displays posts. It's popularity and culture bled into other forms of social media, forums included. A lot of people just want to get their word in even if it's echoed a hundred times before.

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
I think some people have misunderstood what my original post was about, it wasn't specifically targeted at ERA, but was something I'd been feeling and seeing in the gaming community as a whole, both in forums, comment sections, game news articles, Reddits, Twitter etc.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just ignore what morons say and focus on the positive things. Avoid garbage threads and topics. :)

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I completely get what you mean man. Unfortunately, the internet as a whole is like this. No way to avoid it.

On Era though, thank god for the ignore option. My ignore list is super large now, which has saved me a lot of pain when browsing topics.

Oct 27, 2017
I love this place but one of the worst parts for me is the race for "who can post the snarkiest take" dog piling that gives you like 15 replies for something could have been handled with a few simple ones. You see it in other communities as well... but its really bad here.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Interesting. Seems like everyone agrees about how... everyone else is toxic.

But hardly any introspection at all.

Can everyone who posted in the thread voicing their agreement really say that they are not part of the problem? Some, surely. I believe it. All? Not even close.

Be honest. Ask yourself:
  1. Have you ever trolled people? Have you ever posted an honest, sincere, dissenting opinion in an exaggerated or hyperbolic manner that you knew would rile people up, just for the lulz?
  2. Have you then ever complained about "dogpiling" when people start to maybe roast you a little over said comment?
  3. On the flipside, have you ever assumed that someone's different opinion than yours was trolling and immediately accused the other member of doing so?
  4. When you do see something you perceive as trolling, do you take the bait and contribute to the toxicity yourself, or do you ignore and/or report the post silently?
  5. Have you ever drive-by posted provocative comments, such as "lol I'm here for the salt" (perhaps with a popcorn gif), or vague one-liners or gifs?
  6. Have you ever generalized a particular fandom or community (whether it's Nintendo/Sony/Xbox/PC gamers, or Ubisoft fans, or Dark Souls fans, Pokémon fans, etc.) in a disparaging way?
  7. Have you ever generalized a particular thread in a disparaging way, based on a small (sometimes non-existent) number of replies you perceived as bad? (e.g. "This thread is embarrassing, so much <thing that 1 or 2 posters did>")
  8. Have you ever seen a thread you thought was pointless or stupid or about a subject you're "tired of", but posted in it to complain anyway?
  9. Have you ever, deliberately or not, misrepresented someone else's position in any way? Such as (but not limited to) mistaking enthusiasm for "shilling", or criticism of X for fanboyism of Y, or project motives to the other posters that aren't actually there.
Nobody is perfect so this isn't a call-out or a rebuke or anything. We all lose our cool from time to time. But let's remember that everyone who posted in this thread is part of Era, too. It's not just those vague, undefined other "toxic" posters.
This is a good post and something I've been trying to deal with personally (with mixed results). 4, 5, 8 and possibly 9 are really my biggest missteps I think.

For me, I think a lot of the aggression and toxicity that I've noticed happening online comes down to people being unable to disengage with a topic/discussion/argument which inevitably leads to people arguing over each other in more and more passive aggressive ways trying to win an imaginary point. I've been trying to learn to ask myself before each post online whether my voice is contributing positively to the discussion being had or if it's better off for me to disengage and step back whether that's to cool down or think about my contributions a bit more deeply. I'm still not very good at this and have a long way to go but I've noticed over the years that online discourse has slowly made me more cynical and quick to lash out with poorly thought out, often snarkily aggressive replies which is a part of me that I've really come to abhor.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah there are definitely more than a few places where you're not made to feel welcome because you're being too critical/not critical enough of such-and-such a game/company for that particular thread/community's liking. It's not worth getting worked up about IMO, though I will admit to failing in that regard in the past, I've just had to accept that at times the best thing is to just not engage with people who aren't interested in an honest discussion.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Era was meant to be the chosen one yet it is slowly becoming like a mirror image of the "other place"

Ignore lists are your only salvation, OP.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This sort of relates to your second point as something that I've found makes discussion so much harder are threads like these.

If you don't want to click it's basically a thread focused on a video which, for the most part, attempts to call out the shitty alt-right rhetoric that has, unfortunately, become so prevalent in the Star Wars fandom over the past 2 years (and before that, but it really got into gear once TLJ was released). That's fine, and if it were just that then it would be wholly commendable, but the video also decides to use its runtime to 'take down' the wrong opinions of those who disliked TLJ even if said opinions have nothing to do with the alt-right. It essentially relates those who disliked TLJ to those who have visceral shitty reactions to 'SJWs' and other stuff like that, and because it does so anyone who simply dislikes the film is 'tainted' by those in the latter camp.

It's a tactic that I see way too often here, where the awful shit that the alt-right spouts is brought up in conjunction with your typical media-based arguments, most often not to call that shit out but to try and 'win' your own argument. All it does is create an environment where everyone gets more heated because not only is one's 'nerd' honour is on the line, but one's political honour is on the line as well. So you not only have to make your arguments but you also have to continuously 'prove' that you're not the alt-right even though moderation here is extremely good at banning those who genuinely show their asses when it comes to that sort of stuff. But when you have posts that basically say "there are literally no arguments against *x aspect of the film* that aren't rooted in sexism" it's incredibly difficult to do that because anything you say can be twisted to fit that hypothesis.

It also distracts from what the alt-right actually does because it brings in other arguments that are simply not the point. There are multiple complaints in that thread about users 'bringing up the same TLJ talking points' when the video itself simply invited those arguments in in by diluting its argument from "the alt-right is awful no matter what" to "the alt-right is awful... and people that may or may not be them are wrong about Star Wars: The Last Jedi." It shifts the discussion from behaviour to motive, as if racism, sexism, homophobia, etc (and in the recent Ooblets threads, harassment) are conditionally bad instead of universally god-awful.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Some topics are definitely painful to read because of these issues and it definitely stops me posting in some topics.

It would be nice to see mods issue more warnings too, instead of going straight for a ban in some cases, seen many bans where I think "bit harsh, a warning first would be more suitable" as that can encourage people to continue the discussion but be more careful of how they approach things.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Sorry you went through that Pixel, and I'm thankful you're here and able to write the post. Appreciate your perspective on it and the examples you've been affected by.
Nothing in particular, just the general way that most threads get completely sidetracked from initially discussing a game to how x-person/developer is a racist/bigot/homophobic/alt-right scumbag and everyone should boycott their games or some developer is following someone on twitter who posted something right-wing which automatically means that they too are alt-right and people should boycott everything they are associated with.

Then theres just the general negativity and complaining about games that people haven't even played or have no intention of playing.

As I said, there are things that should be discussed and topics that shouldn't be dismissed. Sexism, racism, homophobia etc should have no place in gaming and should rightfully be called out, at times it can be enlightening and interesting, but when you see these kinds of arguments all the time (and this is true for most of the web, not just era) it can get depressing, especially when youre just looking to talk about something that you really love.

Im just saying that I think there should be two areas, one for just friendly, lighthearted discussions about games with absolutely no politics or negativity at all and another area for people who want to have deeper discussions about the political side of gaming or want to complain about something.
As you note I think these things are important to discuss, they're also things that are personal to people which is why navigating that conversation can sometimes be hard. Dedicated topics to such issues should largely be free from pearl clutching and other members popping in purely to bat for the developer without even reading the topic. Likewise though I think OT discussions should be (outside of current news before it turns into a distinct thread) focused on the game. I do think with that, that people should be free to put isolated posts of protest - but engaging users within it and blindsiding them isn't the answer. You should by and large have the space to discuss the game if you don't feel comfortable engaging in the topic, without it being assumed you're not doing so because you actually hate minorities and are evil.

I don't personally agree with your thought to cleave the section in two to entirely divorce one from the other as for me there's the potential for a better balance to be struck without that, but I do appreciate you taking the time to get back on that initial point with your thoughts. As someone that's been vocal in discussions like those you mention, I'm aware that I've also sometimes been the problem in cases surrounding this general OP at large. I can ring a few of the numbered points from Morrigan 's brilliant post, and couldn't cast a stone at another within the thread when it comes to it. I'd probably add a tenth about irritating mods.

Though I feel it isn't a clean good/bad divide in some of them - there are times I've been less tempered but felt justified considering the individual and the conversation we're in, and where mods can occasionally (and understandably) miss some of the wider context to a single post - but recognise I can do better when it comes to stepping back before hitting post when I'm there in some rapid-fire and heated discussion. Having the dedicated threads for issues and treating threads as having borders for the most part in the sense of 'because a discussion is being held in one doesn't mean it needs to be replicated in another', or people criticised for posting in one but not the other, would be positive and I'd personally like to both see and take the effort to work toward that over an immediate hard split. I've stuck to dedicated issue threads and, outside of bait posters, have found I've felt my point and view heard without a need to go and @ people in the OT because they're not 'attentive' enough (/s).

I'd think "How does it feel to stan for a giant corporation?" whenever you discuss why something is or isn't happening is a good example. It isn't directly political, but general hatred of corporations and viewing them as giant moneypits with infinite resources is certainly spurred along by people's political leanings.
It's an interesting one because I thoroughly agree and feel the same for much of the community's takes on marketing. It's not even consistent though which also gets me, with F2P games being defending strongly against any criticism of their pricing models (where in some cases, it is evident the only reason people are engaging is because the game they like is being viewed critically); despite companies repeatedly being receptive to when they overstep and the community reacts and that being a very healthy consumer-corporation dynamic. The by and large, devs = saints, marketing and company = devil viewpoint is a bizarrely rigid thing in many threads.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I agree with you extremely. I hate cancel culture so much my God. I also feel this place and this is not only the gaming side but the ETC side is just as bad if not worst. it's like there's a certain set of things that you must like and If you even have a different opinion you are called wrong and piled on. People here have already mentioned the Sony exclusive thing.
Have you ever admitted you like a DCEU movie on the ETC side? The EGS and Steam thing, I have next to no interest in the EGS and steam war or whatever and dont participate in them. I think the whole thing is majorly overblown though.

However though, compared to most forums i like the fact here they dont condone racism and bs like that. IT's important to me. Look at how awful the old place is now.

The ignore function works well and i wish I could ignore mods too if im being honest. I dont think things would change because the mods here would rather think things are fine the way it is and thats not right at all. The piling on and the eagerness to attack needs to stop.

However, It is what it is.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The passive aggressive attitude here can at times be just as bad as the comment section of a YouTube video.

Quite often people just drop a drive by comment as well such as quoting someone and saying something as basic as "yikes" and nothing else.

If a user has an issue with someone then why not use the opportunity on a discussion forum to try and have a discussion?

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When your life is videogames, people will take any slight as a criticism against themselves. So criticising a game means your criticising them.

Basically, people need other hobbies. Preferably ones where you're not sitting in the same spot consuming media

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
For some people, being right is more important than discussing and enjoying things together.
I used to irrationally dislike and hate games, but I was 15 at that time. I grew up. Some people haven't.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
It's getting harder to discuss things calmly in video games?

No it's not; and I'll hit you with a steel chair and the full force of the four horseman of the apocolypse if you don't walk back this opinion brother!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I think people online just lack a bit of... how can I say it... a bit of humanity.

There's nothing wrong with disliking something, but you can express your dislike without being a twat to others and those who like it.

If I walked into a room in real life full of people who liked a game and I didn't, there's no way I'd express myself the way some people do on this forum.

Sure I could, but it's not how we really interact with each other on a human level.

I'd say I'm glad it resonated with you, here's why it didn't quite do it for me, then we'd have a discussion.

We're all on here, using fake names, communicating in a way that struggles to carry tone.

But I find it hard to believe half of the posters on here would talk to others in the real world like they do on this forum.

I also find it a bit odd that people think it's weird that people get emotionally invested in their entertainment. Films, games, books... they're all designed to move us, to touch us.

We can't hold games up as art - something meant to connect with us on a deeper level - then spit our dummy out when people get attached.

If someone has sunk a few hundred hours into something and you tell them it's shit in every way imaginable, it's going to irk them on some level.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't critique games or that we should pull our punches, but we should also realise that we are talking to real people.

On the other side, people have to realise criticism isn't a personal attack - but again, on some level, blunt criticism will annoy people.

I can't come on here and say 'that's shit, that's really shit, and that's even shitter', get a negative response and then be like 'it's just my opinion, it doesn't stop you enjoying your game'.

That's just shit.

That's not how interacting as human beings actually works. You can call it childish on some level, but it is what it is.

We should welcome criticism, but we should also communicate with people with a bit more civility. We should realise that if blunt and poorly worded, our criticism will piss people off.

Some people might say it's pandering, but if people were a little less ferocious online, the internet would be a nicer place.

Too many flippant, inflammatory posts which not only mock games but the people who play them go unpunished in my opinion.

Basically, we just need to treat each other with a bit of respect... it's not fucking hard. lol
Quoting this post again because it's 100% on point.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
The solution OP
Just ask a developer what's it like for you to make games
What does it feel like to get told by someone your the worst
We need to understand where the frustration comes from and in turn
The outrage community should do the same but that's a different set of questions
Usually since they lack the expertise or skill (they could learn or educate themselves on game development marketing in general then make their own game)
Why does this mean so much to you
Is this really the best use of your time or energy
Have you ever been told your the worst

It's because everyone thinks they are an expert today and their opinion is backed by facts
NOT their actual bias toward whatever they are discussing.

Before social media took over with too much information (mostly wrong and misguided) the world would accept hey you know if we are being honest I'm not an expert on anything but maybe 3 topics in life and listen to others who actually knew what they were talking about.

The people making games they have a skill and execute.
The people who just scream outrage on Twitter they have no idea what it takes
to work in this industry
It's like twitch and let's play streaming so many of those same people wouldn't buy the game they are angry about in the first place
they watch 10min-hour and then wanna talk about whatever was relevant on a message board while passing judgement based on one small perspective they viewed

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I'm with you OP. I make peace with my Resetera experience by not viewing it as a "community". Where's the community spirit among the members who care about Pokémon here? There is none. This place is just another Twitter. An entertainment feed where everyone is a pundit. "My opinion is very important/funny! Give me attention please!" and whatnot.

But there is still hope. When the dust settles you can still find good threads here. I like the LTTP threads because they're more chill.

Nov 8, 2017
People are emotional and they usually post rampant when their emotions are at a high point. If people just waited to calmly and collectively gather themselves; discussions could be more rational.

I find it useful to type out a post and just delete it. If it's want I want to say, I'll be back to say it. No point adding to a conversation that I don't belong in.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, OP. I just try to post/reply with calm thoughts and logic, as much as I can.
Blocking out people will never resolve this issue...

Many times, I've deleted draft posts or have not posted at all, when I've believed people might become angry or extremely negative, in response.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You're not wrong and it's not limited to the gaming community.

Opinion-based discussion has increasingly becoming more and more toxic on all social media

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This forum absolutely has a very angry and resentful tone in general -- Obviously not every user is like that, but it does feel that way in general. I think to some degree it reflects the times. We can speculate why it is that we're in a climate (not just on this forum, but in general) where people seek out conflict and seek out outrage and seek out things to get revenge over, but that's the climate we're in. I think... I think the root cause is economic anxiety/anxiety about the future, to be honest - I think that's what *all* of this ultimately stems from, but giving that a deep dive is a topic for another thread. Another thread which I wouldn't touch for the very reasons this thread exists. XD

If you don't want to be weighed down by the negativity, avoid OT, and avoid any thread on gaming side that's not directly about games. Also ignore overly negative users.

This is spot on. My main issue is that people are increasingly treating social interactions like a weapon, rather than an assistant. This 'decision' may not actually improve people's quality of life, however...

Those that dislike fighting are ignoring the 'call to arms', so to speak. What are people fighting for? Many things, some important. But are they tangible fights, with a plan for reconstruction or alternatives? Nope. These fights are mostly illusionary, like the hyperbole that is brought out of them. They feel like a cry for help from the complexity and unfairness of modern times.... But, I'll avoid going further down the rabbit hole, for now.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had many issues here personally even though I see a lot of stupid arguments on Era.

I feel like I argue with people way more on other sites, personally. The times I've actually argued here have been way more trivial in nature compared to the greater toxic hellscape that is internet forums at large.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try criticizing a Sony exclusive
This kind of comment is embarrassing and is usually only posted by somebody with an agenda. I've seen Sony exclusives being criticized here. Knack is literally a meme because it sucks and you're in here acting like it's a forbidden thing. Come on, man. Did you mean Nintendo?

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It is not a coincidence that we saw an exodus of female posters on ERA, as well as that positive vibe we had here at the beginning.

No matter how much people want to say "lol that must be the ERA Hive Mind I hear about," there absolutely is a mob culture here. Dogpiling, nonstop knee-jerk reactions without any thought, and gaslighting have become disturbingly common on this site.

I understand moderation is rough, and I have a ton of respect for certain moderators like Morrigan, but a lot of this culture is top-down. The overzealous closing of humor threads ("This thread has run its course.") by the moderators early on really set the tone that things should be adversarial here and not light-hearted. And though it's gotten better, there were absolutely untouchable posters who were favorites and had to commit near account suicide to get warned or banned by the mods. (I'm looking at LionPride and him doubling down over 5 pages in a thread saying it's okay to refer to women as bitches.)

The shittiest thing is when these complaints get raised, you get a flood of posters just dismissing them as shit-takes, even though the posters in question usually are part of the problem. What they don't get is that people aren't complaining to raise trouble or because they don't like it here--people are complaining because they believed in ERA and that's why they came here in the first place. You'd have to be blind to see there hasn't been a change since this place started.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is mostly right, I recommend staying off enthusiast forums, and the internet in general. You'd be surprised how reasonable the average person is. This works not only for gaming.

Yep, see anything regarding EGS and EA. The NFS Heat thread is full of LOOKS BORING AND LOOTBOXES despite EA and Ghost games specifically saying the loot box system is gone...
If any publisher has earned a critical eye, its EA. There is just way to much history.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

That's just shit.

Totally agree. Great post. We can all do better and work harder to simply be nicer.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think the issue is that, if you do try and be as non-toxic as possible, it's hard to get many replies. Many, many times I've attempted to have a discussion with someone over something and do so in a way that doesn't attack them at all but I'm met with... silence. Meanwhile that same person replies to others making short easy-to-rebuke comments that, well, aren't that.
This is definitely something I've run into in the past. It oftentimes just feels like people are looking for low-hanging fruit, so to speak. If I don't end up saying something that either riles people up, or is easy to blast, people kind of just read it (or don't) and move on. There's little progression of discussion when it's not controversial or there isn't some glaringly obvious point of attack.

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of comment is embarrassing and is usually only posted by somebody with an agenda. I've seen Sony exclusives being criticized here. Knack is literally a meme because it sucks and you're in here acting like it's a forbidden thing. Come on, man. Did you mean Nintendo?
So close...and then you finish it off with that. Plenty of games get criticized here, including critical darlings. I guess more folk need to read Morrigan's post :P

Admittedly, I've been guilty of some of what she has described myself and, really, I should do better

If any publisher has earned a critical eye, its EA. There is just way to much history.
There's plenty to criticize about them but, if we are going to criticize them or anything, really, it should be sensible criticism. Hyperbole or what have you kinda sours the discussion

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Honestly, I feel this way about a majority of things on the internet; it doesn't matter if its videogames, other media, politics or whatnot; its all about people being right and not taking into consideration how others feel about the subject.

Or even a bigger issue, respectfully disagreeing with someone. Not agreeing with an argument nets you snarky comments or either punches below the belt.

I do it myself too, but I do realize this and try to post better responses.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Honestly, I feel this way about a majority of things on the internet; it doesn't matter if its videogames, other media, politics or whatnot; its all about people being right and not taking into consideration how others feel about the subject.

Or even a bigger issue, respectfully disagreeing with someone. Not agreeing with an argument nets you snarky comments or either punches below the belt.

I do it myself too, but I do realize this and try to post better responses.
This
Also it's been like this since the 90s, now it just has the anonymity of the internet. I remember fights breaking out because of arguments about SNES and Genesis in schools.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure the early PS3/360 era was worse. Gaming forums were basically unhabitable back then unless you went to your preferred platform/OT section and said everything there was awesome.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how many threads are made on this topic, the issue won't be fixed without moderation, and the first mod post I saw in this thread was a deflection.

I feel like some simple guidelines, like allowing OPs to force their threads to stay on topic, and banning members from threads as opposed to the forum at large (if this is possible) would go a long way in fixing some of the negativity.

If I wanted to make a thread about things I think Star Wars Battlefront 2 did well, there is no possible way in the highest heights of heaven to the deepest pit of hell that the thread wouldn't devolve into a discussion about microtransactions, even thought that discussion has already happened 1,000 times. You can't have a thread about a CDPR game without controversy. You can't have a thread about a THQ Nordic game without controversy. I am absolutely ok with a thread acknowledging the issues of a particular game, studio, or publisher. But without proper moderation, any thread will eventually devolve into whatever current controversy is surrounding the game, studio, or publisher, even though there are already a ton of threads rehashing the same discussion.

You can't actually like things around here. It's so fucking hard to make a thread celebrating a game without someone coming in and just ruining it. And it starts at the top. You can't expect the general population to change their behavior without a tone being set.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Sadly, I agree. I don't know if this is something that has happened just the past few years, I think it's been pretty bad for quite a while now. There are subjects that are just... flammable. Like criticizing Nintendo. Or praising EA. Or just being of an opinion that is not popular around here. People care about games, I get that, but I think we should all try to take a step back and remember: it's just games! It's not the end of the world of someone doesn't like Zelda.

Knowing people get upset easily I hardly write anything anymore that could possibly upset someone, not least of fear of being banned for causing something (even if that would never be my intention). So yeah, the climate is just not healthy. It's like walking on thin glass.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Yeah it can be pretty shit around here at times especially if you are just a regular poster.

I once suggested something in one of the Nintendo threads about pivoting an IP into a different genre and was basically ridiculed for it. A few months later someone with a little more clout suggested the same thing and all of a sudden it was a great idea according to the very same people who ridiculed me. Lmao it's kind of a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.