• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I agree , people get very defensive when you criticize things they beloved, but that's to be expected.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
At this point when I see people like that I just think of how miserable their lives are and that the post they make is probably the only outlet they have to feel important or heard. I am not a fan of ignoring people but I may just start doing that at some point. But yes, Era is increasingly becoming toxic. A completely different environment than when the site launched where I remember creating a thread about "positive energy" in the forum.

I totally remember when this site launched and the whole positive energy thing was going on. That was fantastic! I miss that. Gonna work to do more of that myself.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
lifehack: if you change everyone's avatar to card crusher the site becomes better to read because all the snark and smugness and back-and-forth-gotchas become comedy

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its just harder to discuss anything, at all, without someone branding you to far this, or not far enough that.

The rational middle ground is gone.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I find there's a lot of koolaid drinking here, becuase that's the best way I can say that off the top of my head (smh)

But to clarify, I find there's, not exactly a taste-elite but almost the oposite of a taste-elite, where a game is considered "hyped" or considered widely "good" so any dissent is met with pearl-clutching defensiveness and very anxious behavior, like people are afraid that any dissent is gonna take away what they like about it, and I'm kind of tired of that discourse, to the point where I often drop my thoughts because I feel I know it can't be discussed but will instead turn into a lot of anger and knee-jerking. At worst it's like being on Reddit where the voting system governs all.

I'm not trying to say "let there be no consequence" but there's definitely a lot of Sony and Nintendo games lately which cannot be touched by dissectable thinking, because "it's hype" or something.

The most emblemic form of this issue was that Mario Odyssey needed its own gated "Dissent thread", which, while being jokingly announced was still kind of telling about how we can't just discuss games across different opinion and experience, but there has to be waves of thought and either you're riding on that wave or you'll get beached by it.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Really agree OP on the dogpiling or the "thread backfire" type of posts which are all too common. Personally, I think replying to a post with the exact same sentiment a couple of people have already made is unnecessary, disrespectful and a little bit of a bully mentality by taking joy from piling on someone within the safety of the mob. Honestly, I'm not really sure why posts intending to shoot down or silence someone are even allowed on a discussion forum when they inhibit discussion.

It's why I'm reluctant to make threads here or on other forums, it's such a shame bravery or "thick skin" are requirements for having opinions on video games.

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think the main issue some people just can't accept the fact someone else's opinion differs to theirs. In my experience, that's when a calm, respectful discussion can turn ugly, very quickly.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of threads about games that I'm scared to participate in because I'm usually indifferent. For example, being excited for Ion Fury almost seems like a crime here now, so I just don't participate in the forums when it comes to that game because I feel like the conversation is no longer about the game itself.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There are a lot of threads about games that I'm scared to participate in because I'm usually indifferent. For example, being excited for Ion Fury almost seems like a crime here now, so I just don't participate in the forums when it comes to that game because I feel like the conversation is no longer about the game itself.
It's this timid "walking on eggshells" approach I find hard to take in good faith when it's about minority issues. The OT for the game has been overwhelmingly positive with plenty of people excited:

The other, separate, thread is about a current issue regarding one developer liking transphobic comments on the official twitter, and another developer spewing transphobic points at a trans member in the Discord, while another member belittles and insults them, alongside advocating for beating children. Then the developer nods to vaccines causing autism and said they aren't surprised that trans people 'off themselves' after surgery.

This is a valid topic of discussion for which participation isn't mandatory. I'm not sure why you couldn't post in the OT if you just wanted to discuss the game, where plenty of people have been doing just that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lol If you think criticizing a Sony exclusive really gets people up in arms, you haven't seen people discuss Nintendo exclusives. It makes me avoid threads about Nintendo in general and I say that as a Switch owner.
The Nintendo army is ever present but you know, those guys can easily be identified and blocked. With Sony exclusives even good posters turn into harsh defenders, and that's sad, because you know they're people whose opinions you'd like to engage with. Sigh.
These posts exemplify point #6 quite well:
Have you ever generalized a particular fandom or community (whether it's Nintendo/Sony/Xbox/PC gamers, or Ubisoft fans, or Dark Souls fans, Pokémon fans, etc.) in a disparaging way?
In other words: you're not helping.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Trust me, this isn't new. You should have seen the internet back in the 2000's.

You should watch Mega64's Flamewar Theater, it's a very humorous take on the affair.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, in a nearby thread on gaming side.

I know this place has fallen so much it's become a Marxist echo chamber. They've defended pedo's masquerading as trans, defended Antifar and only care about outrage.

I don't give a fuck about somebody's feelings trans or not and fuck off with this give up my liberty's just so I can't offend anyone, or heaven help me I assume somebody's gender.

I often imagine that reset is like that DSA conference where the guy dressed like a superhero goes nuts because someone used gendered language OMG how fucking dare someone the word He/She.

Get a fucking life you bunch of SJW's.

#trump2020
#getfukdera
#brexit forever

This is also part of what makes things tense: the fact that these bad actors actually are hanging around here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'd also note that I've seen an uptick of many just itching for a fight, like they're looking for things to get mad about...something, anything. Makes the forum feel incredibly toxic at times.

It's really disappointing. Seems like a really miserable way to live.

It's deplorable how many people here haven't been banned for some of the shit they say. Elitism, broad generalizations, tribalism, among other things. It's not healthy in the slightest.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to talk about anything calmly on the internet, period. It's the internet, not ERA specifically. The economic model is the content we freely create and attention. Nuance and reasonableness don't get attention. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Interesting. Seems like everyone agrees about how... everyone else is toxic.

But hardly any introspection at all.

Can everyone who posted in the thread voicing their agreement really say that they are not part of the problem? Some, surely. I believe it. All? Not even close.

Be honest. Ask yourself:
  1. Have you ever trolled people? Have you ever posted an honest, sincere, dissenting opinion in an exaggerated or hyperbolic manner that you knew would rile people up, just for the lulz?
  2. Have you then ever complained about "dogpiling" when people start to maybe roast you a little over said comment?
  3. On the flipside, have you ever assumed that someone's different opinion than yours was trolling and immediately accused the other member of doing so?
  4. When you do see something you perceive as trolling, do you take the bait and contribute to the toxicity yourself, or do you ignore and/or report the post silently?
  5. Have you ever drive-by posted provocative comments, such as "lol I'm here for the salt" (perhaps with a popcorn gif), or vague one-liners or gifs?
  6. Have you ever generalized a particular fandom or community (whether it's Nintendo/Sony/Xbox/PC gamers, or Ubisoft fans, or Dark Souls fans, Pokémon fans, etc.) in a disparaging way?
  7. Have you ever generalized a particular thread in a disparaging way, based on a small (sometimes non-existent) number of replies you perceived as bad? (e.g. "This thread is embarrassing, so much <thing that 1 or 2 posters did>")
  8. Have you ever seen a thread you thought was pointless or stupid or about a subject you're "tired of", but posted in it to complain anyway?
  9. Have you ever, deliberately or not, misrepresented someone else's position in any way? Such as (but not limited to) mistaking enthusiasm for "shilling", or criticism of X for fanboyism of Y, or project motives to the other posters that aren't actually there.
Nobody is perfect so this isn't a call-out or a rebuke or anything. We all lose our cool from time to time. But let's remember that everyone who posted in this thread is part of Era, too. It's not just those vague, undefined other "toxic" posters.

I'm absolutely guilty of some of these though. We're all human and we all fuck up.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I made this post a while back, but I think the points still stand...

I think people online just lack a bit of... how can I say it... a bit of humanity.

There's nothing wrong with disliking something, but you can express your dislike without being a twat to others and those who like it.

If I walked into a room in real life full of people who liked a game and I didn't, there's no way I'd express myself the way some people do on this forum.

Sure I could, but it's not how we really interact with each other on a human level.

I'd say I'm glad it resonated with you, here's why it didn't quite do it for me, then we'd have a discussion.

We're all on here, using fake names, communicating in a way that struggles to carry tone.

But I find it hard to believe half of the posters on here would talk to others in the real world like they do on this forum.

I also find it a bit odd that people think it's weird that people get emotionally invested in their entertainment. Films, games, books... they're all designed to move us, to touch us.

We can't hold games up as art - something meant to connect with us on a deeper level - then spit our dummy out when people get attached.

If someone has sunk a few hundred hours into something and you tell them it's shit in every way imaginable, it's going to irk them on some level.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't critique games or that we should pull our punches, but we should also realise that we are talking to real people.

On the other side, people have to realise criticism isn't a personal attack - but again, on some level, blunt criticism will annoy people.

I can't come on here and say 'that's shit, that's really shit, and that's even shitter', get a negative response and then be like 'it's just my opinion, it doesn't stop you enjoying your game'.

That's just shit.

That's not how interacting as human beings actually works. You can call it childish on some level, but it is what it is.

We should welcome criticism, but we should also communicate with people with a bit more civility. We should realise that if blunt and poorly worded, our criticism will piss people off.

Some people might say it's pandering, but if people were a little less ferocious online, the internet would be a nicer place.

Too many flippant, inflammatory posts which not only mock games but the people who play them go unpunished in my opinion.

Basically, we just need to treat each other with a bit of respect... it's not fucking hard. lol

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was jokingly going to come in here and tell the OP the shut the fuck up. But then I remember how most conversations go on MMO-champion's WoW general discussion forum. Specifically one guy in particular. We go back and forth and it's usually screaming vitriolic garbage about how Blizzard is evil, and anyone who enjoys the game currently, he's been saying this since Cata, are brainwashed, addicts. Come to find out the guy continues to play the game, and when called out on it, her responds in a violent manner that results in a ban on the forum every time.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wrote this on my first day here when I was just another member. It was a very idealistic post but something I really believed in and still do. For any enclave on the internet to get better, people must embody the ideals most important to them. You must ask yourself how you can contribute to the community you want to be part of. Then you have to practice it constantly. We must encourage it by becoming it.

Most people are quick to blame others for communal problems. We expect the best from ourselves and the worst from others. We then seek to prove that suspicion and validate that belief at the expense of actual reflection or growth. By waiting on other people's attitudes to change, we often fail to improve the only thing we can actually control: ourselves. The result is nobody improving and nobody getting better.

You could write for pages and pages for why the internet is the way it is today. People are very bitter, very tired, and very uncomfortable. Why we are like this, and if we have always been like this, could fill volumes of books. But trying to explain or rationalize the internet's venom will only go so far. Simply explaining something isn't enough to change something. For this reason I try not to focus too much on why the internet is like this. I prefer to focus on how not to be.

If there's any one thing I would try to remind people of when using a forum like ours, it's that you have to approach your time here with the intention of getting along and being part of something. This is not an infinite expanse with many millions of users. It is not like twitter or reddit where you are a tiny drop in the bucket. We are a much smaller and closed community. You are a building block along with everyone else. You matter, and your contributions matter, so you should treat them like they do.

Likewise, you must accept that members here are not some faceless handle you will never see again. You are 1 in 45,000, not 1 in 330 million. You share this forum with the same people every day. It's all the same faces in the same spaces. People do not just dissolve in to the crowd like they do on websites with multi-multi-million user counts. So your posts have consequences. These consequences don't roll across the surface of the great internet sea until they vanish in to the aether. They stay here. We only get back what we put out.

There is no algorithm that will only show you things you like to read. There is no vote or share system that brings certain posts or opinions to the top. We are not a themed subforum meant only to attract users who think positively about a certain thing. We are all in this together. We have to treat each other like we actually matter and not like faceless strangers on the internet. We must love each other. We are all we have here.

Individual responsibility and respect for others is the foundation for any community. A community will never simply be something. It is very easy to sit back and say "ah, yes, people on the internet sure are terrible and I sure do dislike them." But you should be considering every single time you post if you are contributing to an environment people find welcoming and comfortable. You should be always exemplifying the exact ideal you want to see more of. If you expect that from others, expect that from yourself too.

And this isn't an all-or-nothing thing. Nobody is perfect. I sure am not. Just recently I apologized to a member I offended over a joke that didn't land. It was my fault. I wanted to dunk on someone and came across way meaner than I meant to be. That really sucked. But I apologized, and we went back and forth, and we smoothed it out. The next day we saw each other in another thread and there were no hard feelings.

Being better doesn't mean being perfect. Doing the right thing doesn't always mean getting it right the first time. But you always have a choice how you speak to people and how you interact with people here. This is a spirit that has to be represented by us, as members, and the posts we make and the conversations we have.

Our path is a strange and difficult one. We must reject revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you all. 💏

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Good post OP. When ERA was established, it was pitched as a place that was supposed to be more open and willing to discuss versus the heavy dogpiling of old GAF.

And it was that, for a brief window. But it fell back into the old ways, which makes sense, since most of the users on ERA (at least initially) were old GAF members. A lot of the same attitudes, posting habits, etc carried over.

I have found that, outside of specific community threads, the discussions are not worth engaging in for the exact reasons you outlined. I would like to believe that things will change in the future, but I suspect they will not. Like others have already pointed out, people are hell bent on being right and having their opinion heard over others.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, yeah. That's why I try to avoid certain topics like the plague since I already know there's going to be literally zero discussion in them.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OT's are your friend. For the most part people actually give a shit about the game or topic and the trolls ignore it because it's full of more clear critical summary or enjoyment over the game. Thry can't convince people their thoughts are bad and they should feel bad because it's the literal OT for the game.

This forum is full of toxic behaviour but you can only do so much. Try to work with threads that exercise best intentions so that you can actually have good discussions. Don't feel inclined to always post as well, it'll make you feel much better. Heck I've stopped posting in most EGS threads because people are so inclined to believe false information from Sweeney and his boat full of lies.

Just focus on you OP, but also I would say try to avoid being exactly what you argue against by wanting to ignore proper discussion points that are valid against your own discussions. Discourse is always the best for figuring out what is fact and what is fiction.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The ignore list has helped a lot for me. Also we're passionate. Don't mind it too much as long no one insults an other

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't post much any more simply because I don't like arguments and I'm fearful of who I might piss off. Mostly when I see a notification I think 'oh god who have I riled up now'.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Era is the same as a lot of other communities, except its about as decently moderated as you could expect - so I can mostly navigate the forum without being knee deep in ignorance and bigotry. That's a bit of a rarity. Otherwise, I treat the forum as I would any other place. I engage with what I want to engage with, and I don't participate in what I don't want to participate in. Works well enough for me.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I really want to engage in certain threads/topics but the hostility is such a turn off. Criticizing GameFreak in Pokemon threads has been a nightmare. The ignore function really does work wonders, though OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

I think there is a large group of people at ResetERA that really just don't post, especially in controversial subjects. This thread is pretty telling:

The vast majority of posters indicated they would not support an THQN published games. Yet the poll results suggest otherwise.

You know I recently finished Dragon Quest 11. A great game, highly recommended. However it's composer is quite possibly the most evil asshole in the entire video game industry. I enjoy DQ11. But I also do not dare downplay Koichi Sugiyama's assholery. I think these conditions can exist at the same time, and both be true.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In today's episode of white male snow flakes, a white male bravely stands up to the rainbow coalition of oppressors that just want some sort of representation and voice in an ever growing market without being harassed or murdered. Since we are the only true and real gamers no matter what.

So please everyone, let's go back to past oppressive systems of logic and function where I felt safe promoting unearned white exceptionalism without the added guilt piling on where women and Poc constantly have to explain why they should be allowed to exist in this industry. Really fucking rude that I can't safely be the racist troll my racist and misogynistic. environment has led me to believe was normal.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In today's episode of white male snow flakes, a white male bravely stands up to the rainbow coalition of oppressors that just want some sort of representation and voice in an ever growing market without being harassed or murdered. Since we are the only true and real gamers no matter what.

So please everyone, let's go back to past oppressive systems of logic and function where I felt safe promoting unearned white exceptionalism without the added guilt piling on where women and Poc constantly have to explain why they should be allowed to exist in this industry. Really fucking rude that I can't safely be the racist troll my racist and misogynistic. environment has led me to believe was normal.

Who are you referring to here? Looking back at the OP there's no mention of representation outside of the defence of trans-folk being accused of harassment for taking issue with Cyberpunk 2077.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The internet's pretty obsessed with shaming people at the moment. This leads to everyone being on high alert for how they write and interpret others writings. I think it's just a trend and will calm down when people realize others are limited by the medium (text-based social media) rather than deliberately antagonizing others.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The dog-piling is a weird and uniquely Era thing I feel like, or at least it was never a thing on other forums I've used in the past.
Yeah this false, dog piling and what that leads to (the person being dog piled losing their cool) is bad here. But it's like that on every forum where people have differing opinions. It's not unique to Era. It happened before down the block, it happened before here and it will happen long after we are all gone. It's human nature to team up and shit on someone. It predates the internet, it probaby started with the first civilizations.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Good post OP. When ERA was established, it was pitched as a place that was supposed to be more open and willing to discuss versus the heavy dogpiling of old GAF.

And it was that, for a brief window. But it fell back into the old ways, which makes sense, since most of the users on ERA (at least initially) were old GAF members. A lot of the same attitudes, posting habits, etc carried over.

I have found that, outside of specific community threads, the discussions are not worth engaging in for the exact reasons you outlined. I would like to believe that things will change in the future, but I suspect they will not. Like others have already pointed out, people are hell bent on being right and having their opinion heard over others.

I agree

You're absolutely right, there are many threads on both the gaming and etcetera forums that I have had dissenting opinions about, but didn't bother to post in because I knew exactly what would happen.

I used to really enjoy discussions, but it's gotten so much progressively worse that I am more and more just stopping by here to read gaming news, or get specific help in a game's OT, and nothing else.

Same here. Being afraid of engaging in discussions is one of the worst things that can happen to any forum.

This isn't really just a gaming thing, it's an online discource thing.

I think this is mostly a restera problem.

This community is a bubble that is so used to a single consensus that a different opinion gets dog piled upon and driven out. There is very little actual interesting discussion or varied perspectives or sharing of ideas. Look at any EGS thread.

I agree

All in all. Engaging in this community isn't that much fun anymore. Interesting discussions can't be had because people get dogpiled like crazy. That in itself wouldn't be too bad, but those people getting dogpiled are also getting easily banned, too.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, point by point.

1. Yeah, I remember that thread and my point on being snark is... The op itself was snarky on the thread. He was clearly signal boosting he wanted to hear more about the game, but since he knew a thread with that premises would most likely get closed, he made a click bait thread spreading misinformation in the hope of getting our support, but we all know better than that at this point, so nobody gonna have it. We are just tired of people using boards as a Google search or as a diary. If you want a discussion, please come up with a worthwhile for the community, not just for yourself.

2. I kinda agree, but the users trying to do that are not innocent either, they know what they are doing, because they just don't want to come up with arguments, so its easier to just label you as horrible human being. Just add those user to the ignore list, you will become a happier person. Also, this "argument" only fly nowadays because people care about threats on the internet now, so it's a unwanted side effect, but a worthy cost, I think.

3. Yeah, but, to be honest, this is not new, and some threads are created this way. Thread like , "there should be more games like X", "I can't enjoy this game, here's why" are just stupid premisses of threads that get responses of the same vein. I mean, what there even is to discuss? Someone just created thread threads to get simpathy, not to discover or learn something.

I got pretty good at spotting threads that will get drive by shit posts by now, and only open them to ignore it. You can't really start a good discussion with a baseless claim.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
But when dogpiling happens, people believe they are on the "right side" so it is hard to deal with it, as it is not one person but several persons doing it. Maybe it isharder to moderate than a single specific post to identify whatthe responsibility is. And each post alone may not be this harmful but the sum of all of them can be

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's this timid "walking on eggshells" approach I find hard to take in good faith when it's about minority issues. The OT for the game has been overwhelmingly positive with plenty of people excited:

The other, separate, thread is about a current issue regarding one developer liking transphobic comments on the official twitter, and another developer spewing transphobic points at a trans member in the Discord, while another member belittles and insults them, alongside advocating for beating children. Then the developer nods to vaccines causing autism and said they aren't surprised that trans people 'off themselves' after surgery.

This is a valid topic of discussion for which participation isn't mandatory. I'm not sure why you couldn't post in the OT if you just wanted to discuss the game, where plenty of people have been doing just that.
You make a valid point, but I've seen other users dredge up posts from OTs like that in order to accuse other users of ignorance because they supported said game. It's not that I feel I have to walk on eggshells, I just worry that the next time there's a fiasco involving a developer and I want to comment on it, someone will find that hypothetical post I made supporting Ion Fury and accuse me of supporting the individual developers' stances.

It's not that I don't think I can discuss, it's that I fear it being used against me maliciously. So I just don't partake in the discussion.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The key thing is that I don't believe someone choosing to play a game means that they agree with the developers unrelated points of view.

Ion Fury players are not against transgendered people for example.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
People don't change. Humanity never changes. It's a depressing fact and cycle of life. And like someone else mentioned, this isn't new. This site was founded on good intentions, but good intentions don't last very long. The more people are involved who are diverse, the more likely there is to be conflict and more intense the conflict will likely be. Am I a part of this? Of course, I post, think, and ponder toxic thoughts everyday, but I do like to think that we have commonalities... sometimes I feel like people here (and everywhere else) don't realize the people we demonize and stomp on for their radically different viewpoints are just like us, have desires, life experiences, aspirations, and struggles... just like us.

On a site like this (and elsewhere on the internet), you only hear their singular opposing opinions and so that person seems to be nothing but an insect droning on whose annoying buzz you want to squash, just an obstacle and nuisance of text and pixels to your world view. But there is much more to them, that defines them, behind than screen, across that space, just like you. And they are so very much just like you, in ways you don't know or care or want to admit.

Its just harder to discuss anything, at all, without someone branding you to far this, or not far enough that.
The rational middle ground is gone.
A symptom of our times.
I find there's a lot of koolaid drinking here, becuase that's the best way I can say that off the top of my head (smh)
Everyone has their own brand of kool aid, and no matter what side you're on and what topic is at hand, people drink lots of it and pat each other on the back for drinking the same flavor. Tribalism and the need to belong, usually, more than if any of the issues actually matter or not.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
the ignore feature of this place is amazing. use it and it will improve your experience greatly.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I agree that discussion level in this place is getting lower all the time. NeoGAF was bad at the end but everything about ResetEra feels more serious.

And yeah, there's that too: there aren't as many joke threads or fun threads overall, they get closed all the time a few posts in for trolling or whatever, yet negative threads are allowed to grow with no issue. That fosters a mostly negative environment. Have you noticed how over a year into the forum's life there aren't as many in-jokes or memorable memes? This place at times feels like it's so afraid of getting taken over by trolls that people aren't allowed to lighten up.

But by all means, a monthly thread about how much Uncharted 4 fucking sucks? Go right ahead.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You make a valid point, but I've seen other users dredge up posts from OTs like that in order to accuse other users of ignorance because they supported said game. It's not that I feel I have to walk on eggshells, I just worry that the next time there's a fiasco involving a developer and I want to comment on it, someone will find that hypothetical post I made supporting Ion Fury and accuse me of supporting the individual developers' stances.

It's not that I don't think I can discuss, it's that I fear it being used against me maliciously. So I just don't partake in the discussion.
I appreciate you breaking it down further and understand your position a lot more as a result. In as much as you're not looking to interject yourself in that discussion I wouldn't look to do the same in the OT, but as you say - things aren't so clean cut when applied across an entire forum and a span of time.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, that dogpiling and creating strawman communities (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Marvel/DC "Defenders) have really killed any form of discussion in this place.
People just look for the next box, they can put you in, so that they may can easily counter you, without actually trying to discuss you. While other people attack the box, you have been put in.

We can talk all day in this thread, but nothing will change, if the moderation in this place does anything to counter this form of discussion. Ban or discipline people for such tactics.
Or invent features, which help the discussion. Most people hate like or dislike buttons, but i may give a silent majority a way to support good post or at least not have people repeat the same argument everytime.
It's hard to change human behavior, but it is easier through restrections and motivation.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
You're completely right, OP. This forum is notorious for dog-piling. Half the time I don't bother posting in threads because of how bad it is here with virtually no one stopping it.
Yeah I don't post much here or bother contributing my thoughts as I just get tired of the dog piling rhetoric and drive by posts to ban because of a gaming opinion. Piss off or disagree with one person here or someone who thinks you've said something they don't like then you've pissed off the whole collective hive mind here and the dog piling will start. It's ironic as it reminds me of Trump followers chanting "send her back" until that person gets banned.

I think the problem with this forum is that there's no middle ground or balance. You can't discuss things constructively. It's one extreme or the other. That's always a bad sign anywhere. If you're not on the right side expect to be dogpiled on and singled out if you share a difference of opinion with the hive mind.

To me this place is just like the old place where people ganging up too. I honestly don't see any difference. People on the internet normally like to think they're right and no one else's opinions count. They will single people out, until a mod sees it and mod will just ban because the majority outweigh. It's especially prevalent here though. Banned for silly reasons yet bullying and singling people out is ok here.

I mean It's supposed to be a light hearted gaming enthusiast forum but you get banned here for just having an opinion about anything. You dare not say it here. It's like being back at school. Instead of detention it's banning.

I dunno, I just grow tired of the drama that that comes from anonymity from the internet and it's pretty bad here generally. Much worse than when it started out a couple years ago. It's degenerated into the old place again which I kinda knew was gonna happen tbh as that's the internet generally.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
You should find your own niche forum or message board to discuss things in a more civil and elaborate way and use big forums or boards for quick, not-too-deep interactions. Most of the Internet has now adopted the trend created by social media websites: nasty one-liners, dog-piling and a vast majority pretty much shouting what they think is right on a few members who might disagree on a topic and try to express that in a polite non-antagonistic way but are accused of arguing in bad faith even if they have no history to support that.

Pretty much this.
Social media has changed the way the general population "talk" about things. And most talks about things are people wanting to sound witty/clever/all knowing and have some presence on the internet validated.

Though often the ones most vocal are the ones who need to STFU. Feels like a lot of the internet is people shouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.