• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why exactly. I guess it was just that collectively I had some really great experiences on the genesis, Saturn, and dreamcast. Also I guess that Sega has published some great games since then as well. But really what would they bring to table besides taking games from other platforms and making them exclusive?

More than likely it is just the kid in me and the one thing I have wanted to see for a long time.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want someone else to enter the console race and would love to see Sega come back.

It's getting a bit boring with Sony MS and Nintendo for the past 3 gens. It's settled into a pattern with Nintendo experimenting and Sony/MS pushing power. Needs a shake up

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Dreamcast 2 would be awesome but sadly Sega going against Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Steam and Apple would be a nightmare for them.

I think the best you could get is if Sega teamed with a much better company for a console.

I definitely want someone else to enter the console race and would love to see Sega come back.

It's getting a bit boring with Sony MS and Nintendo for the past 3 gens. It's settled into a pattern with Nintendo experimenting and Sony/MS pushing power. Needs a shake up

Google is rumored to be making a console :)

Krusty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

*cries*

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

The shake up is Nintendo in this situation. A new console would follow the Sony mondel since it doesn't have the fan base nor the franchise to experiment like Nintendo does.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Unless they had something to offer that could really be unique, it sounds like it would be the worst thing for Sega. At least now they're still making good (in some cases, great) games. It already seems really challenging for the big three to stay relevant against emerging technology and trends.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the main benefit: less chance of getting stuck with Sonic when I use random select in Smash Bros

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice just to see Sega release the quantity of games they use to, back when they were supporting their own console.

Their output completely fell apart.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, same, but I know that a "New Sega Console" wouldn't actually be what i'd be looking for. The reason I loved the Dreamcast was because Sega was putting out so many different games- they still had a strong arcade division at the time, along with tons of different teams just pumping out games of all different generas. Nowadays, making games is significantly more expensive and time intensive, so it's not realistic- Sega published something like 60 games in the brief life of the system- that's just impossible today.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I would buy a Dreamcast 2 in a heartbeat if I somehow knew beforehand it was getting the same quality of games its predecessor did. Even if it had the same short ass lifecycle.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's very difficult that they'd do such a thing. They don't have the brand image, they don't have the resources, they don't have the hardware know-how anymore, and they don't have the software output. (Though neither does Microsoft, but look where it got them)
Furthermore, the state of hardware today prevents them from differentiating.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Meh, not happening. In 10 years I expect Sega to be inglobated into one of the three major manufacturers actually.
Don't see the point for them, their franchises have a strong fanbase but not enough to sustain a console. Even Sonic is just a tiny fraction of what Mario is. They know this and they're perfectly fine with it apparently.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Unless they had something to offer that could really be unique, it sounds like it would be the worst thing for Sega. At least now they're still making good (in some cases, great) games. It already seems really challenging for the big three to stay relevant against emerging technology and trends.

^ this

I don't know how a franchise like Sonic would fare being console exclusive again after over a whole decade of being third-party.

I imagine it wouldn't go well.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Meh, not happening. In 10 years I expect Sega to be inglobated into one of the three major manufacturers actually.
Don't see the point for them, their franchises have a strong fanbase but not enough to sustain a console. Even Sonic is just a tiny fraction of what Mario is. They know this and they're perfectly fine with it apparently.

Actually I see the opposite happening. Those manufacturers will become services only for your devices. Ea will branch off to thier on thing .. so will Ubisoft. Sega could follow that path as well.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what they could bring to the table that separates them from the existing mainstays.
  • A Sega console would have a good exclusive library (Sonic, Yakuza, etc.). They could bring back some classics like Power Stone.
  • A new Sega console could lead to some interesting innovations in the way consoles and controllers are designed (e.g. new VMU, free online multiplayer, etc.)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sega can't even make consistently good games, even within a franchise that should have a relatively simple formula. There's no way I'd trust them to develop a console and OS.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a Sega person, but it would mean I would have to buy another system for Atlus stuff :(.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
The longer time goes on, the more Sega becomes a company that just had a short stint at the console industry, and and even shorter stint at actually having worldwide success (Genesis). It is just becoming a curios piece of history.

Sega was a company that always had new IP and a new generation of developers specifically designing an innovative line-up for each console. For console gaming at Sega, that ambition is long gone.

The reason I loved the Dreamcast was because Sega was putting out so many different games- they still had a strong arcade division at the time, along with tons of different teams just pumping out games of all different generas.

Sega still has a strong arcade presence. One only needs to venture to sega-interactive.jp and weep that their greatest dev teams are held hostage at Japanese arcade games.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I don't think some people realize then number of good ips Sega has been sitting on.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't think some people realize thenumbrr of good ips Sega has been sitting on.

The only milllion sellers on Sega consoles were Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Sports games and licensed games on Mega Drive. Then they were was House of the Dead, Crazy Tax and Monkey Ball but they fell out of fashion. And Shenmue, but that wasn't proftable.

OP
OP
Bjones

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The only milllion sellers on Sega consoles were Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Sports games and licensed games on Mega Drive.

Brand recognition is more important. Any game could be good or bad but attach a recognized ip to a good game and it will sell.
Sega can put out a real phantasy Star or a modern altered beast and the hype would drive itself if they are decent games.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Brand recognition is more important. Any game could be good or bad but attach a recognized ip to a good game and it will sell.
Sega can put out a real phantasy Star or a modern altered beast and the hype would drive itself if they are decent games.

Why not make a new IP instead?

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'd love another Sega console. It won't happen, but I would love it. More than anything, I'd love to see Sega go 1st party for themselves to see what kind of amazing new games we might get. It's the only way I think we'll ever get anything wildly creative from them like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Space Channel 5, The Shining series, Burning Rangers, Fighters Megamix, or Skies of Arcadia. It's also likely the only way I'd finally get to play a sequel to Binary Domain (which I want... so bad you guys). It's a beautiful daydream, one that I have often, unfortunately it's only a dream... cast.

Oct 25, 2017
I would also freak out cause that would mean somebody is going to buy Sega for cheap six months later and I like CA and Relic too much to see that happen

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
  • A Sega console would have a good exclusive library (Sonic, Yakuza, etc.). They could bring back some classics like Power Stone.
  • A new Sega console could lead to some interesting innovations in the way consoles and controllers are designed (e.g. new VMU, free online multiplayer, etc.)

I'm well aware of the catalog of IPs under Sega's umbrella. My question would be, how much ability do those IPs have to drive enough sales to make a return to the hardware market worth their time and resources? Sony is more entrenched than ever with the Playstation brand, Nintendo hit it out of the park with Switch, and MS seems like they're leading the GaaS front and, if rumors are to be believed, looking into making acquisitions that will bolster their lineup. Sega would have one hell of an uphill battle on their hands. On what terms are they competing? They gonna compete on power with Sony and MS? Online services with MS? Controller/interface innovation with Nintendo? Which juggernaut, on what front,do you think they can reasonably compete with? To those of us over 30( probably more like 35 and up) the Sega name probably means a great deal. To the younger fanbase, they're those guys that pump out a Sonic game every few years and Yakuza. I'm not sure if they have the cache with their IPs needed to compete, as much as I love some of their classics.

If anything, given there's some history with MS going back to the Dreamcast I believe, bring back some old classic lines like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Power Stone, sign an exclusivity deal with MS to have such titles on the gamepass service. I can sooner see something along those lines.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sega was the best first party gaming ever had but they are not even remotely the same company now. There's no chance they could compete against companies that are way larger. And even if that didn't matter, as a developer they don't have the same talent to cover several genres and constantly make new and innovative franchises. It wouldn't be the same at all.

A Genesis/SMS mini with high quality emulation by someone like M2 would be nice but it's clear Sega doesn't give a shit.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new console would tank, but I would absolutely buy up a retro system modeled after the NES/SNES Classic if they could freaking get it right. The Genesis options have been poor so far, but if they could try it again and get it right, I'd buy each generation they put out from Genesis to Dreamcast.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS bring nothing to the table year after year.

Imagine a world with a Sega developed console, the games; No Developer or Publisher has ever hit the heights of dreamcast era Sega. The output and creativity was off the charts.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
at this point I'd rather have sega's arrogant presence in the market instead of sony.

I actually think it would be pretty interesting if they jumped back in... but only if they went all in... none of this android based sonic box stuff.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
The closest we're gonna get to that is a Dreamcast/Saturn mini from the Retro-Bit/SEGA collaboration...which tbh I would be more than happy with. Their new controllers look very, very good and replicate the originals perfectly (at least in aesthetic); thinking about picking up the Saturn USB one when it drops.

As for a new Sega console....tbh, as much as I love their systems and historic output, I wouldn't see that working out atm. There isn't much of an angle for them to enter the market on what with Sony, Nintendo and even Microsoft doing pretty well atm, and just wanting to push more power isn't enough. While I think more than a few people underestimate the potential appeal of some of SEGA's IP (kindly forgetting that the only reason they're even attracted to the IP they like is because marketing departments pumped millions into selling them on the idea. Works very well on kids ;), I think most of those games could be better served on more modest budgets rather than lavish AAA budgets, aside of perhaps a few where that kind of budget would be a nice cherry on top (but not a requirement).

So essentially, no, I wouldn't want a new big-hyped SEGA console atm b/c there isn't really an angle or niche to position themselves in that space as it is right now. If they really wanted to do that, I'd rather it be some effort done in conjunction with PC. I *DO* think there's room in a modestly-powered and priced enthusiast system aimed at a more nostalgia-minded audience, think something like all these retro emulator consoles of late but with better specs and support for modern games in addition to retro stuff. Kind of like the Ataribox was going to be, but more realistic in goals and at a sub-$200 while clearly acting as a bridge between mid-tier modern stuff, classic emulation, and support for classic original games and peripherals. They wouldn't need to limit new releases to the box, either, b/c a system like that would be serving a smaller niche than a PS4 or Switch, but as long as it clearly lived up to being a prime source for retro SEGA stuff and able to play some of the newer games at moderate settings, it could do well. That would also be a good excuse for getting more ports to PC storefronts ;)

The other option I see would be a digital platform/storefront offering integrated player profiles, networking, and the such, but essentially able to run on most supported devices. Think something like GOG or Steam, but fully designed around SEGA hardware and image for UI, features etc. Again, that could help with getting more PC ports from them, but say they offer those ports on this hypothetical service at a discount price or what have you.

I think either of those two options would do better than a brand new "Dreamcast 2" or whatever from them; gives SEGA a chance to carve out a new niche for themselves and not need to directly compete against Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, all of whom have deeper pockets and established userbases in their hardware. They should definitely expand their arcade output both to more home ports and just getting the machines out to more places, however; I honestly think arcades are an under-served market that have potential to expand again, and SEGA was always a market leader in the arcade scene. They even have a few new games coming out there I'm genuinely interested in playing (House of the Dead 3, Sega World Drivers Championship) but know the chances are slim unless I take a trip to Japan, which is a shame.

I'm well aware of the catalog of IPs under Sega's umbrella. My question would be, how much ability do those IPs have to drive enough sales to make a return to the hardware market worth their time and resources? Sony is more entrenched than ever with the Playstation brand, Nintendo hit it out of the park with Switch, and MS seems like they're leading the GaaS front and, if rumors are to be believed, looking into making acquisitions that will bolster their lineup. Sega would have one hell of an uphill battle on their hands. On what terms are they competing? They gonna compete on power with Sony and MS? Online services with MS? Controller/interface innovation with Nintendo? Which juggernaut, on what front,do you think they can reasonably compete with? To those of us over 30( probably more like 35 and up) the Sega name probably means a great deal. To the younger fanbase, they're those guys that pump out a Sonic game every few years and Yakuza. I'm not sure if they have the cache with their IPs needed to compete, as much as I love some of their classics.

If anything, given there's some history with MS going back to the Dreamcast I believe, bring back some old classic lines like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Power Stone, sign an exclusivity deal with MS to have such titles on the gamepass service. I can sooner see something along those lines.

That's the beauty of marketing; while I think things like Streets of Rage would need some design updates to be seen favorably with those unfamiliar w/ the series (basically, make it 3D or 2.5D, expand on the story mode stuff SoR3 was doing, maybe add some RPG-like elements in increasing abilities, semi-open world (city), co-op multiplayer etc), others like Panzer Dragoon I honestly think could do very well; just look at the reception The Last Guardian got, or the new SotC remake is getting now. Fantasy scifi has always been pretty popular in the West and you've got plenty of games tackling that angle like the aforementioned and Horizon, but none doing it quite the way the Panzer Dragoon series did. Scalebound could've channeled some of that but it's long dead b/c of MS bullshit.

All of that said, realistic points regarding the reality of what SEGA'd be up to in challenging the Big 3 right now. They all have a niche covered and are doing pretty well covering that niche. It's why I think if anything they should focus more on their arcade output, maybe expanding it in the West again. And lately I'm liking what they've got going there between Daytona 3, HotD3, and Sega World Drivers Championship. They should do more stuff like that and be collaborating with chains like Dave and Busters to get them in American spots.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Not me, but I wouldn't mind them returning to their former software glory. That Panzer Dragoon Saga thread got me wishing they would release it for the Switch virtual console (PSN or XBL would be cool too).

Okrim

Dec 14, 2017
Italy
Honestly? I would freak out to any new console made from someone that isn't Sony Nintendo or Microsoft.