• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about America giving back the whole country to native Americans and paying thousand of billions for the dozens of millions of of native Americans killed during colonisation?

Every civilization is build on a war. Deal with it and move on.

Errm no.

Native Americans were screwed over hugely and just saying 'deal with it' is ridiculous.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a completely bad idea but it's never going to happen. In France at least there's a lot of people who believe that colonisation benefited the colonised so... Another thing is there's at least 10% of the population of France who come from these colonised countries. Should they pay too?
And how much should we pay, to who?

The better thing to would to get rid of neocolonialism I believe.
Never really heard about neocolonialism before but a quick wiki search tells me it's exploitation through a combination of capitalism, globalisation, cultural imperialism, and conditional aid. Absolutely agree with ya, Gob.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a completely bad idea but it's never going to happen. In France at least there's a lot of people who believe that colonisation benefited the colonised so... Another thing is there's at least 10% of the population of France who come from these colonised countries. Should they pay too?

I'm pretty sure that 99% of French people coming from colonized countries (except maybe some pieds-noirs) would be more than happy to do so.

Remember that they probably still have family there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I take it he's american, and despite the long history of slavery and oppression from the independent USA, he still blames the british?

Right, the British weren't responsible for the largest slave trade market and then weren't committing genocide and oppressing whole nations right into the 1950's. GTFO.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

A lot more I think. Isn't 10% of the french population muslim ? So that'd cover only part of the immigration/people of ex-colonies descent.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of French people coming from colonized countries (except maybe some pieds-noirs) would be more than happy to do so.

Remember that they probably still have family there.

Wait, really ? You really think people coming from colonized countries would be more than happy to PAY for what France did ? And PAY corrupt governments ? I don't think so.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
User Banned (2 months): concern trolling over a series of posts
What about them? Is this thread about that? No so why bring it up if only to deflect the current topic
Well you can't just have one rule for one and one rule for another. Do you feel strongly about Turkey repaying Europe for the colonialism of the Ottoman Empire?

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesnt make Any sense.

Not sure what u mean. Thats kinda the definition of racism. Judging based on race.
anywho, these threads usually lead to bans so i wont post Anymore

Maybe he shouldn't have come in so hot and frame his stance in an overly aggressive way. Also racist remarks like all "white people aint shitt" doesn't help either. It's hard to take this OP seriously. He doesn't seem interested in any discussion
These post cant be real right? Like y'all do understand what racism is right?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
In an ideal world we'd invest in poorer countries and help build infrastructure (not meaning let big business cronies come in and exploit for their own profit), educate (not indoctrinate) and bring everyone on Earth up to the same standard of living. But surely that's too logical and naive and when have we ever lived in an ideal world, sigh.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

There is a discussion of reparations going as far back as the slave trade in France. Reminder that we paid slavers for their lost business when slavery was abolished. I don't think it would be that far-fetched to pay reparations to the actual people who were affected.

But this is currently not more important to me than it is to make sure to get rid of neocolonialism. Western countries are still heavily profiting from those countries.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I feel the dismissiveness people get from the comments (apart from the ones genuinely meant as only that) comes from the fact the OP's premise is kinda half-baked. That kind of opening doesn't invite good conversation because it tries to put the complexities of history, geography and human population dynamics into an ill conveived binary proposition.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is this exploitation and imperialism is not a thing of the past with competing world powers still setting up and maintaining their own power structures to continue modern forms of cultural and economic theft which is legal before the eyes of the law just as past thefts and violence were before.

I understand exactly what the OP is saying. I would also add their is an insult to injury when European countries who feign civility hold onto their war treasures so they can continue to re-contextualize the cultures of other people as less civilized in the name of tourism and commerce.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Racism = power + prejudice

What he said is not racist

I can't believe I need to quote a dictionary:
[uncountable] (disapproving) the unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race; violent behaviour towards them. a victim of racism.

You're talking about systemic/institutional racism.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
As a Greek I'm not giving anyone shit, first need money from Italy, Turkey and the full reparation from Germany from WW2.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Every time I imagine Europe as "progressive" in comparison to America this forum reminds me how truly racist Europe is.

definitely.
also, i think it would be hard to find many countries that dont have racism or hatred (wether justified or not) towards another country or ethnic group. List would be very short
It does, many western Europeans are pretty racist towards eastern and southern Europeans.
Europe isn't some big monolith, it encompasses many countries and cultures.

What i meant is that western europe and easter europe are both considered caucasian/white. If germans hate polish people (for example) who are both "white" is it still considered racism? Or is there another term that should be used? Genuine question.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really ? You really think people coming from colonized countries would be more than happy to PAY for what France did ? And PAY corrupt governments ? I don't think so.
Most them are already helping their families overseas financially, so the idea of France finally recognizing the awful impact colonization had on their countries would be great yeah.

Furthermore, most corrupt governments in the former French colonies were put in place by the French government. So it would probably need a complete removal of interferences coming from the French government but I don't see the people who originated from colonized countries being widely against the idea itself.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is temporarily locked while we look at reports and its contents.
Edit: thread unlocked.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to be very easy to make you angry. There is almost as much quality in the opening post as there is in your comments.

Enjoy the ban.

EuroEra really showing their ass in these first couple pages.

EuroEra: Lol, America and their racist President. Such an ignorant and racist country.

Also EuroEra: What do you mean we gotta pay for centuries of slavery, colonialism, racism, and oppression?!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue is, I don't trust politicians to give the money without certain diplomatic caveats and I don't expect the politicians that receive it to spend it wisely. If there was a way to do it that didn't involve corruption I would be down with it. Also, it becomes difficult to decide who gets what because displacement of people didn't start or end with colonialism unfortunately.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that I am uneducated on the matter of past reparations to know its history, but I do agree that there is a lot more that the 1st world countries should be doing.

P.S- yikes that first page turned into a graveyard with all of the bans.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy the ban.

EuroEra really showing their ass in these first couple pages.

EuroEra: Lol, America and their racist President. Such an ignorant and racist country.

Also EuroEra: What do you mean we gotta pay for centuries of slavery, colonialism, racism, and oppression?!

This is very true. I'm extremely embarrassed of my fellow Euro peeps.

Oct 25, 2017
Right now other than maybe Germany and the Netherlands I don't know if the other governments have the finantial capabilities

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I mean, racists 200 years ago knew that colonialism was a great injustice that would come back to haunt Europeans.

Johann Gottfried Herder directly confronted the nexus of European global domination and colonial violence, and suggested that history would have its revenge. "Europe must give compensation for the debts that it has incurred, make good the crimes that it has committed—not from choice but according to the very nature of things."
That was common sense more than 150 years ago.

That guy was wildly racist, yet he was also familiar with moral philosophy at the time and knew that colonialism was wrong.

To say that it is "about time" kind of obscures the fact that it has always been time and the subsequent fact that Europeans always ignored their responsibility because they could.
That is not going to change.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I wouldn't mind Canada paying reparations to indigenous people. Let my taxes go up if that is what it is going to. We all live on blood land here.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, racists 200 years ago knew that colonialism was a great injustice that would come back to haunt Europeans.

Johann Gottfried Herder directly confronted the nexus of European global domination and colonial violence, and suggested that history would have its revenge. "Europe must give compensation for the debts that it has incurred, make good the crimes that it has committed—not from choice but according to the very nature of things."
That was common sense more than 150 years ago.

That guy was wildly racist, yet he was also familiar with moral philosophy at the time and knew that colonialism was wrong.

To say that it is "about time" kind of obscures the fact that it has always been time and the subsequent fact that Europeans always ignored their responsibility because they could.
That is not going to change.
Sadly, many times the colonial powers signed treaties with their ex colonies to prevent any future reparations.

Oct 30, 2017
For those who dismiss this idea entirely, (war) reparations in Europe are certainly a thing.

Germany for example payed war reparations for the First World War up until 2010. https://www.zeit.de/wissen/geschichte/2010-10/weltkrieg-schulden-deutschland

Second World War is a bit more complicated because of the way Germany had to repay their reparations.

On the other hand, the EU / european countries are already by far Africa's largest donor via foreign aid.

The collective Official Development Assistance (ODA) from the European Union and its Member States amounted to €75.2 billion in 2019, representing 55.2% of global assistance, according to preliminary figures released today by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's Development Assistance Committee (OECD-DAC).

ec.europa.eu

Press corner

Highlights, press releases and speeches

You could argue to recognize some of the money as reparations (which wouldn't change the amount, but maybe who gets it (like families or tribes affected the most)) or pay a certain amount on top of this, recognized as reparations.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, sure.

But most of those countries are heavily in debt, so even if they wanted, they don't really have the cash do so. (and they don't give a fuck anyway i'd say)

The idea is good, the reality is that it will never happen. As sad as it is.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
As recent as last century there's European/American colonies, this didn't all happen more than 500 years ago.

as an American I have no issues at all giving Native Americans reparations.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
The EU is giving more than 20 billion a year to african countries (on top of individual state contributions). What numbers do you want OP

It is more about this
www.npr.org

U.S., European Subsidies Undercut African Farmers

African governments have long complained that U.S. and European agricultural subsidies are undercutting African farmers. Western farm-support programs and cheap cotton dumped on the world market are impeding efforts to end Africa's cycle of poverty.

African governments have long complained that U.S. and European agricultural subsidies are undercutting African farmers. Western farm-support programs and cheap cotton dumped on the world market are impeding efforts to end Africa's cycle of poverty.
In northern Mozambique, cotton farmer Americo Candido Asan says U.S. subsidies drive prices ever lower, making it difficult for him to make a profit.
Candido, 35, plants five acres of cotton each year. He does all of the work in his fields by hand. Once a year at harvest time, the local cotton company sends a four-wheel-drive truck to pick up his sacks of cotton.
"Here in Mozambique we don't have any help from the government," Candido says. "So if they have subsidies, it means American farmers have everything prepared for them. But here we are using our own money, our own labor, and the price always becomes lower and lower because of them -- the Americans -- it's not fair."
Cotton is grown in several parts of Africa. It's a major crop in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Tanzania, as well as Mozambique. There's also significant cotton production in West Africa, particularly in Mali, Burkina Faso and Benin.
Cotton exporters say this part of northern Mozambique should be able to sell cotton at competitive prices. It has plentiful rainfall. Labor, at about $1 a day, is cheap. The main roads have been rebuilt after a lengthy civil war and are in excellent shape, by African standards. There's a functioning railway linking the area with a port on the Indian Ocean.
But growers complain that they're barely making a living from their crops, and in recent years, several large cotton companies have gone out of business.
Issufo Nurmamade, the owner of a cotton company called SANAM in the city of Nampula, says he hasn't made a profit on cotton fiber in three years, and his business is only staying afloat because he produces and markets cottonseed oil for the domestic market.
Mozambique exports all of its cotton fiber. The country used to have factories to spin cotton into thread and there were even several textile factories producing clothes, but they've all shut their doors.
The majority of Africans earn a living -- sometimes just a subsistence living -- through agriculture.
Mohammed Lamine, who works for Oxfam in Dakar, says the billions of dollars in subsidies paid each year to farmers in the United States and Europe are undercutting African farmers.
And it's not just affecting cotton. Lamine says that cheap, subsidized powdered milk from Europe has flooded West African markets.
"If you go through the countryside in Senegal or Mali, you won't be able to find local milk... because the powdered milk has destroyed the whole dairy sector in West Africa, Lamine says. Lamine says the agricultural policies of the world's richest nations are choking economic development in some of the poorest countries on the globe.
A typical African cotton farmer will earn $300 to $400 a year from his crop. Usually he'll grow other food crops -- corn, cassava, peanuts -- to feed his family. But cotton may be that farmer's only avenue to cash.
Oxfam estimates that between 2001 and 2003 alone, U.S. subsidies cost African cotton growers roughly $400 million. Lamine says eliminating all cotton subsidies could raise world prices for the commodity by 10 percent to 12 percent. While an extra $30 or $40 a year might mean nothing to a Western farmer, Lamine says it would be significant for Africans.
"Saying that 'If you get rid of all distorting subsidies, producers will be rich,' that's not what we are saying," he says. "But let's get rid of one of the major factors that is contributing to the impoverishment of cotton producers in Africa."
Despite falling cotton prices, U.S. cotton production rose 40 percent between 1998 and 2001. Lamine says this extra cotton is being dumped on the global market at below the cost of production.
Last year, the World Trade Organization upheld a ruling against the United States stating that American cotton subsidies are illegal. The United States has moved to eliminate export subsidies, but under the farm bill which expires in 2007, the vast majority of payments to U.S. growers continue.
In Mozambique, cotton producers say that it's not just agricultural subsidies that are stacked against them. They say the West also dumps second-hand clothes into Africa at prices that stifle local textile production.
Vincent Marush Sando, who coordinates a domestic-cotton promotion campaign in Mozambique's capital Maputo, says Africa should place stiff import duties on used clothes from the West.
He says the bigger problem is that African nations have very little influence over the flows of global trade. And as Africans try to find their niche in the world marketplace, he says, the system always seems to be working against them.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
UK doesn't have nearly enough cash for all the countries they bled dry

edit: though they could start with returning all the art that they looted

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
idk why this is such an insane concept. countries that colonized other countries at the very least should build fair economic partnerships with them and give them resources needed to thrive. it's not difficult to understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
For those saying it's unfair and all that. This is a great time to point out Haiti was forced to pay France the equivalent of $21b in compensation for overthrowing France's colonial rule and slavery. Haiti didn't finish paying it off until 1947.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a latino man, I want the European countries to at least, give back all the artistic and archeological pieces that belonged to our ancestors.
I was mad with rage when I saw pieces from my country on a museum on Spain.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's in everyone's interests to ensure that more people around the world have lives that are free from poverty, and have equal opportunities etc.

So in that sense, I absolutely think assistance should be provided.

As to how, I'm not too sure - I like the idea of aid funding (which is already done) as long as there's clear oversight to ensure that those who need it are receiving it. Maybe that aid should be increased.

Doesn't even need to be framed as some form of repayment for past misdeeds, just a common sense approach that providing assistance to those who need it (often those same countries that have been exploited) is the morally right thing to do.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those saying it's unfair and all that. This is a great time to point out Haiti was forced to pay France the equivalent of $21b in compensation for overthrowing France's colonial rule and slavery. Haiti didn't finish paying it off until 1947.

That is a great example of what should be paid back.

France itself should recognise how disgusting it was that Haiti paid 'compensation' for freedom.

Last edited:

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Every time I imagine Europe as "progressive" in comparison to America this forum reminds me how truly racist Europe is.

By American racial standards, Europe is fairly "white", even if they identify more along lines of ethnicity rather than the US definition of race. Brexit, the Syrian refugee crisis, and the colonialism reparations pearl clutching in this thread shows us everything we needed to know.

EDIT: but to contribute to the discussion, I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I don't like the whataboutism bringing up civilizations like the ancient Greeks and Romans. Those civilizations don't exist anymore, but countries like the UK, Spain, Belgium, etc. very much do exist and some only recently granted independence to former colonies. This is my argument why the US government owes reparations on account of slavery since the US government still exists today and benefited greatly back then.