• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey for a few months now, and while my initial impression of the game was very positive, I was also hesitant to proclaim that I liked the game outright from that impression, given that Ubisoft games generally manage to start off on the right foot, but get long in the tooth the more time you spend on them.

With Odyssey, that has not been the case, and the more I play it, the more I like it. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a remarkable game, and absolutely among my favorite open world titles of the generation. There is so much it does so well:
  • It has a vast list of all these different gameplay styles and metagame systems that theoretically should just add to the bloat and drag the game down, but which work together to retain a sense of variety in the game. So we have the war metagame, the Mercenaries metagame, the Cult of Kosmos metagame, the RPG mechanics, the naval gameplay, plus of course, the core Assassin's Creed gameplay loop as well. It's amazing how many different styles of gameplay come together so well, and keep things so varied
  • Simultaneously, these different styles add a degree of depth to the game. It's never prohibitively deep, to the point that you need to pay attention to it, which makes it exhausting to play; but it's just deep enough to engage your attention, without actually requiring your rapt focus
  • It's absolutely massive. There is so much to do in this game, and it feels like you are always achieving something, even if you put off the main quest forever. There's a ridiculous degree of content in this game, and that, coupled with the depth and the variety already mentioned, makes it incredible value for money
  • It's actually fun to play. Past Assassin's Creed games have had shitty game feel, stiff controls, and pretty terrible combat. Odyssey is so fluid and controls like a dream, and has the best combat in the series. Plus, there is nothing as satisfying as taking down an entire fortified outpost with nothing but patience and stealth
  • The post launch support is absolutely remarkable. I love how much additional content and quests have been added to the game, and continue to be added to the game, on a weekly basis.
  • Also, the characters are fantastic. While the story is typically nonsense, characters like Elpenor and Kassandra and Deimos are pretty damn fantastic and compelling.
It's time for us to be honest; if this game hadn't been an Assassin's Creed title, or by Ubisoft, it would have gotten far more notable recognition or praise than it now does. Odyssey really is among the best open world games of the generation, and I feel like people really need to give it a chance with an open mind.

Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected. I still like the origins world a little bit more just because of how colorful and interesting ancient Egypt was, but odyssey was an incredible game. Pretty much improved in every way, even though I almost think it was too large. At least for someone like me who has kind of a short attention span

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was never able to get into it, but I think that's only because I spent so much time with Origins and Odyssey came just a year afterwards. Origins was simpler in a lot of aspects, but it just nailed that pure sense of exploration and awe that has come to define modern AC games.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, favourite game of last year. Haven't gone back to the DLC yet but over 200 hours in the main game.

They're coming though, you've set off the Bloatsignal.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It really is a great game. I just wish it didnt run like shit on PC :(

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Origins' Egypt is a better open world from a design standpoint, but you're right that Odyssey did an excellent job layering meaningful systems and gameplay loops on top of its world.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey has the best traversal in an open world to date. The BotW style climbing freedom + no stamina bar, the horse being an arcade style and not realistic, the ships... it just feels like a dream to explore.

I dropped the game after a few hours as I have too many to play atm, but it's one I want to return to. made a very good first impression.

I will say one thing though: I noticed that there were some weird... maybe pacing issues with the writing? Like, sometimes story beats resolve super quick and the MC seems to accept stuff with very little build up... The stuff with your father at the start felt super rushed to me, I'm not sure if this is a common opinion or if it gets better later, but it did pull me out of the moment a few times.

It really is a great game. I just wish it didnt run like shit on PC :(
It does? It ran really nicely for me, but then my system probably brute forced it a bit (2700x / 2080).

Oct 27, 2017
I really like how gamey it is, and it seems to value player convenience above all else, which I greatly appreciated. It really is the best playing AC game.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey for a few months now, and while my initial impression of the game was very positive, I was also hesitant to proclaim that I liked the game outright from that impression, given that Ubisoft games generally manage to start off on the right foot, but get long in the tooth the more time you spend on them.

With Odyssey, that has not been the case, and the more I play it, the more I like it. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a remarkable game, and absolutely among my favorite open world titles of the generation. There is so much it does so well:
  • It has a vast list of all these different gameplay styles and metagame systems that theoretically should just add to the bloat and drag the game down, but which work together to retain a sense of variety in the game. So we have the war metagame, the Mercenaries metagame, the Cult of Kosmos metagame, the RPG mechanics, the naval gameplay, plus of course, the core Assassin's Creed gameplay loop as well. It's amazing how many different styles of gameplay come together so well, and keep things so varied
  • Simultaneously, these different styles add a degree of depth to the game. It's never prohibitively deep, to the point that you need to pay attention to it, which makes it exhausting to play; but it's just deep enough to engage your attention, without actually requiring your rapt focus
  • It's absolutely massive. There is so much to do in this game, and it feels like you are always achieving something, even if you put off the main quest forever. There's a ridiculous degree of content in this game, and that, coupled with the depth and the variety already mentioned, makes it incredible value for money
  • It's actually fun to play. Past Assassin's Creed games have had shitty game feel, stiff controls, and pretty terrible combat. Odyssey is so fluid and controls like a dream, and has the best combat in the series. Plus, there is nothing as satisfying as taking down an entire fortified outpost with nothing but patience and stealth
  • The post launch support is absolutely remarkable. I love how much additional content and quests have been added to the game, and continue to be added to the game, on a weekly basis.
  • Also, the characters are fantastic. While the story is typically nonsense, characters like Elpenor and Kassandra and Deimos are pretty damn fantastic and compelling.
It's time for us to be honest; if this game hadn't been an Assassin's Creed title, or by Ubisoft, it would have gotten far more notable recognition or praise than it now does. Odyssey really is among the best open world games of the generation, and I feel like people really need to give it a chance with an open mind.
You could have said much the same about Origins tbh. I haven't played Odyssey but it seems to have taken it even further.

EDIT: I find the open world and the "open world gameplay" in Origins far superior to The Witcher 3.

I also find it more fun in general

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
but how did she get a pantsuit tailored while holding onto a big glowing staff? makes no sense.

---

in all seriousness the endgame story stuff i watched on YouTube validated my decision to ignore this game. i liked how origins handled narrative and the twcb stuff a lot, but this one just seems like a cartoonish distortion of that. I just can't see myself enjoying the journey to get to such a lackluster destination. im plenty fine with waiting for the next game and hopefully it being more of an evolution and less of "Origins but stuff the world with even more shit"

Last edited:

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought this game on sale for ~20bucks and am really enjoying it so far. Glad to hear it should be good all the way through

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Playing it right now, 45 hours in. It's sometimes overwhelming with the sheer amount of systems and general stuff to keep track of. But it's so much fun to just run around for hours, stumbling into stuff all the time.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but Origins so far is fun. What are the major design differences between the two?

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Is Odyssey as grindey as Origins in terms of being forced to do side missions to be high enough level for the story missions?

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I didn't play it, but its sad that ubisoft don't get praise to their well made games anymore because of the first watch dogs incident.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, nah. I think fucking not.

Many of the things you mention as positives are negatives to me.

"So many different gameplay styles" translates to "Many poor and shallow gameplay styles instead of one or two rich and deep ones."

"It's absolutely massive" translates to "it's fucking bloated as hell and smothers it's good bits under a heaving mountain of extraneous fat".

"So much additional content"
translates to "Dear God, more bloat, and now it's probably overpriced too."

"It's never prohibitively deep, to the point that you need to pay attention to it" translates to "So simple I can almost play it with with my eyes closed".

Oh yeah, and let us not forget the microtransaction being added to a full price, single player game. "Hey, here's an XP booster so you can get skip our extremely fun and engaging "content", because that isn't a fucking alarm bell or anything."

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Odyssey as grindey as Origins in terms of being forced to do side missions to be high enough level for the story missions?
Honestly I like doing side missions more than the story ones so I never run into walls, but if you weren't doing the side stuff naturally, yes, it would be very grindy I have to imagine.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Truth. I was in the google streaming test for this game, didn't expect anything, loved it to death, especially Kassandra's voice actress, and once I finished everthing, I bought it anyway because Ubi deserved the money for making such a great game.
You could have said much the same about Origins tbh
IMO, no. Play Odyssey and then go back and play Origins. It's not nearly the same. Odyssey essentially improved and streamlined everything Origins did.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I think you're right to point out the systems and combat as setting it apart from previous entries. I always dreaded the moment in previous AC games when my stealth failed and I had to engage in combat. I still enjoy methodically taking out soldiers one by one in a fort, but it's no longer a slog if you mess up.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's to big. I'm getting burn out from all the side quests and tracking down the cultists and fighting the special beasts etc etc and I think I'm only half way through the main quest.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

The post-release content updates and Ubisoft's continued support is also extremely well appreciated.

So far, Odyssey is my 'Best game of 2018 that didn't get enough recognition'.

After beating the latest DLC episode, my current game clock is at 112 hrs and level 87 (without the use of any boosters :p)

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could have said much the same about Origins tbh. I haven't played Odyssey but it seems to have taken it even further.

EDIT: I find the open world and the "open world gameplay" in Origins far superior to The Witcher 3.

I also find it more fun in general
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but Origins so far is fun. What are the major design differences between the two?
Odyssey is far more streamlined than Origins, which had a whole lot of jank. It also doubles down on the RPG stuff with actual dialog choices and quest differentiation, has a better battle system, and has far more systems.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it to start, but then it became too much. Everywhere I looked some new mission popped up and it felt overwhelming and packed. Maybe I will go back to it some day, but every time I think about it, I have no desire.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's a wonderful game and a must play if, like me, you have a long time fascination with Greek Culture/Mythology. Plus Kassandra is one my favorite new characters in a while and worth price of admission alone.

That said, I'd stop short of putting it up there with tippy top-tier open world games this generation(RDR2, Witcher 3, BoTW, MGSV) but it's one of the better ones, no doubt.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I really do need to play this. I love Ancient Greece stuff, though admittedly Gods and Monsters looks more up my alley
a reverse Belda experience

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
To me it represents perfectly how Ubosoft-like video game design has poisoned any potential modern open world games ever had to create an immersive and engrossing experience. AC: Oddysey is the McDonalds of video games. All the positives that OP mentioned, are things that I would name as negatives.

I don't love the notion that Ubisoft games are roasted purely because they are Ubisoft games, and I think that they have a long way to go before they can fully realise their potential. Ubisoft will never be #1 in a world where Nintendo and Rockstar exist.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey has the best traversal in an open world to date. The BotW style climbing freedom + no stamina bar, the horse being an arcade style and not realistic, the ships... it just feels like a dream to explore.
One thing I feel is always overlooked, the swimming controls. Ubisoft lowkey made not just one but two games where it doesn't feel terrible or at best awkward to swim. And it's because the navigation controls are incredibly well thought out. You have general movement with the thumbstick, a button for upward traversal and downward traversal, and that's universal so your mind never gets confused between different modes of play whether it's running, climbing, swimming, riding a horse, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain what you mean by streamlined? That's interesting since almost every time I hear someone talk about Odyssey, they talk about how "bloated" it is (with content) lol. Obviously they're not referring to the same thing there.
I mean mechanically and in terms of polish, Odyssey basically takes what Origins does, and goes all the way with it, and does it better, with far lesser amounts of jank along the way.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Fantastic game. It's one of those experiences I can just lose myself in, much like Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3 or Destiny 2. All totally different experiences, but they all share a very important trait. A compelling, deep and "lived" in world that draws the player in and holds on tight.

Personally, I play games to escape reality and unwind so I really appreciate it when a developer can pull off a game world so well it feels like a living, breathing alternate reality I can visit for awhile.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
YES. What a beauty. I rarely want to get lost is a game but I wandered lots in ACO. Also, I didn't let it turn into a checklist game, I kept trying to do my own thing naturally.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Ubisoft secretely makes some of the best games on the market since they launched Watch Dogs 2 and changed their gamedesign for all their franchises. People got used to their output in the ubi tower days and keep running with it, when they're not doing it fro three years now.

Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry 5, AC Origins and Odyssey, all top tier games. And it seems the new games they have coming out will joint them as well in quality

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It is.

The QoL features that have been patched in since launch are so so so above the rest of the god-damned industry that I'm not even sure the next AC is even gonna have them. The game is the smoothest playing thing I've ever touched.

It's really admirable.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's great, really loved it. It just launched in the shadow of arguably the best of the generation Red Dead 2.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I feel is always overlooked, the swimming controls. Ubisoft lowkey made not just one but two games where it doesn't feel terrible or at best awkward to swim. And it's because the navigation controls are incredibly well thought out. You have general movement with the thumbstick, a button for upward traversal and downward traversal, and that's universal so your mind never gets confused between different modes of play whether it's running, climbing, swimming, riding a horse, etc.
Yeh fully agreed, I began a playthrough of Blood and Wine shortly after and really felt the difference. They absolutely nailed movement and traversal in this game.