• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
I'm out of the loop. Were people this negative or cynical about games announced on the first and second year's of PS4 or Xbox One?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's really reasonable to bring up, helps set the expectation for how many games a system would get in its first year.

Look at some of the posts here. They're saying that PS4 hasn't been getting games this year to excuse the Switch situation, when that's simply untrue. They're trying to shift the discussion somewhere else altogether to avoid the actual topic.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Bayonetta just came out.... Xenoblade2 was 2 months before? A meaty game every 2 months is a pretty solid pace imo. Games get to breath better that way.

Kirby is in a month, LABO a month after that. I'd say they are actually doing great with their release schedule.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I got used to game droughts since I was a Wii U-only owner back when it was still relevant so I'm ok with this sort of a "slowdown" on 1st party releases this year. Also, I'm broke AF right now too. Too bad the only game I'm currently looking forward that has been officially announced so far is Metroid Prime 4 and that Yoshi game. Nintendo is fully focused with Labo and I would be interested in it if it wasn't for the fact that is not going to launch on release day here in Mexico who the fuck knows why. Will probably cost more than $100 bucks once it launches too.

Some surprise 3rd party announcements would be ideal. Switch is selling well so don't know why there has no been more 3rd party stuff announced. Even if it's just ports of old games.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really complain when the remasters they're releasing during "cruise control" are some of my favorite games ever. Currently enjoying the heck out of Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, eager to dive back into Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, and Tropical Freeze and Dark Souls are among the finest games of all time.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I think people are missing something with this 'ports for those who didn't buy a Wii U' stuff.

I didn't buy a Wii U. It wasn't just the hardware, it was also the fact that the software wasn't tempting enough. I don't think Hyrule Warriors or Donkey Kong will sell nearly as well as people think. Sure, Mario Kart and Pokken did well but it's MARIO KART on the go. I don't think Hyrule Warriors (especially as there's already a 3DS version) or DK have the same appeal.

For me, there's nothing until Tennis, and I probably won't buy that as I won't be able to justify it at full price. Then there's nothing really announced. At this rate I could see my next Switch game being Metroid or something on sale.
I think you're missing the point of the ports, again Mario Kart 8DX is on track to outsell og Mario Kart 8 in months, the ports bring in profit even if you're not the audience and even then I'd say you're missing out on some great games

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
To me the cruise control comes from, "Here's another Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Smash, etc. game." It has nothing to do with the Switch and it doesn't even matter if the games are great. It's just harder to get excited when you pretty much know what to expect. Even though ARMS wasn't a hit, at least they tried something new. I want more stuff like that where it's not just another entry in the same franchise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me the cruise control comes from, "Here's another Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Smash, etc. game." It has nothing to do with the Switch and it doesn't even matter if the games are great. It's just harder to get excited when you pretty much know what to expect. Even though ARMS wasn't a hit, at least they tried something new. I want more stuff like that where it's not just another entry in the same franchise.
This is a bit tired as a talking point, especially given that there is often more variation within an existing Nintendo IP than there is between entirely "new" franchises most other publishers introduce. "A new Zelda" or "a new Mario" as a talking point is meaningless when you don't actually know what those new games entail.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I hear what you're saying OP, but keep in mind Nintendo released two of the best
video games of all time
in 2017. As good as the first year was, it would be wise to realize the likelihood of Nintendo, or any company, having that level of output again is extremely unlikely. Also keep in mind (and I realize you're intelligent enough to realize this but may just not be focusing on it) that game development is a lengthy process, and to make truly great games takes even longer.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think they're slacking, but games take time and we're bound for some down-time in the development cycle.

Oct 27, 2017
I hear what you're saying OP, but keep in mind Nintendo released two of the best
video games of all time
in 2017. As good as the first year was, it would be wise to realize the likelihood of Nintendo, or any company, having that level of output again is extremely unlikely. Also keep in mind (and I realize you're intelligent enough to realize this but may just not be focusing on it) that game development is a lengthy process, and to make truly great games takes even longer.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think they're slacking, but games take time and we're bound for some down-time in the development cycle.

Yeah, this. Also. they must allow other games to sell well on their platform. See FIFA on Switch, it has sold really well on Japan lately, and apparently also on UK.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are missing something with this 'ports for those who didn't buy a Wii U' stuff.

I didn't buy a Wii U. It wasn't just the hardware, it was also the fact that the software wasn't tempting enough. I don't think Hyrule Warriors or Donkey Kong will sell nearly as well as people think. Sure, Mario Kart and Pokken did well but it's MARIO KART on the go. I don't think Hyrule Warriors (especially as there's already a 3DS version) or DK have the same appeal.

For me, there's nothing until Tennis, and I probably won't buy that as I won't be able to justify it at full price. Then there's nothing really announced. At this rate I could see my next Switch game being Metroid or something on sale.
DK sold 1.5 millions on 3ds, Even when a Lot of people already played it on Wii and it was 30 FPS.
Donkey should sell fine (unless price Is an issue).

Hyrule Warriors is niche, but it Will sell To
Zelda and musou fans.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Uh? What about that crazy Labo thing they just announced a few weeks ago?

I don't know how anybody could say that announcement was "Cruise Control."

They've got core gamers covered with No More Heroes, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Mario Tennis. That's just what we know of for 2018.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
We basicly dont know anuthing about Q3 and Q4 Switch lineup, probable we still dont have full Q2 lineup.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
We're not even past the first anniversary of a console that, this time last year, everyone believed was the desperate last gasp of a dying company. The release line up was bound get a little slower for a period of time at some point, especially after how aggressively Nintendo pushed out its first party titles last year (We saw a new Xenoblade, Splatoon, Mario and Zelda all within a year).

To suggest Nintendo are on cruise control is to ignore the reports of how Nintendo have been aggressively courting third parties to develop for the system, as well as the fact that the system still has a healthy line up of newly developed titles further down the road. Personally, I think the ports that are being used to carry the Switch through this slower patch are a well curated batch of titles that show off the system's strengths, while letting players who didn't own a Wii U experience some of the best titles of Nintendo's last-gen system.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This is a bit tired as a talking point, especially given that there is often more variation within an existing Nintendo IP than there is between entirely "new" franchises most other publishers introduce. "A new Zelda" or "a new Mario" as a talking point is meaningless when you don't actually know what those new games entail.

Not really. They are still confined to certain characteristics that define those characters and the IP itself. Mario will never play like Zelda and Zelda will never play like Mario. Mario won't be a first person adventure like Metroid Prime or a third person action game like Bayonetta, and so on. A new IP doesn't have to adhere to a template. Also I'm tired of seeing the same characters regardless of whether they vary the gameplay. Imagine if Disney kept churning out Mickey Mouse movies since their inception. Nintendo is more than capable of making new IP.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its February and we havent even gotten mayor Direct yet. You need to chill a bit.
They arent shipping +25m systems by cruise controlling. They have big plans for this year - the next Direct, fw update, Labo launch,e3, online service launch, Fire emblem, Smash, Prime 4 and co. in addition to big 3rdParty releases like GTA and CoD.

Wat?

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
as much as i want a new pokemon game to hurry up and come out, i don't expect it this year, or metroid prime 4. i said the same thing about xenoblade 2 though. i think i'd feel better about the switch if i hadn't been a wii u owner

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yes, and I love Yakuza to bits - I've got my whiskey glass edition on preorder. But to be fair, it will probably sell just as much (if not less) than Hyrule Warriors. If that sentence isn't indicative of the industry, I don't know what is. :(
I admittedly did forget about MLB, because I was looking from an international viewpoint. (It doesn't get a retail release here.) My apologies.

There are some heavy hitter third parties, no question. Monster Hunter has indeed been a tremendous success. But the comparison wasn't to 'console wars list' a bunch of games, but to compare first-party output within a certain timeframe and measure comparitive successes. Nintendo is following Sony's PS4 playbook a bit with their Q1 strategy by putting out a few ports and letting third parties/indies take the reigns a bit.

You're allowed to be disappointed with Nintendo's output, especially if none of the games interest you. But it's a common first-party tactic to put lower tiered games out during this time frame - to say that there will be nothing better on the horizon is silly. I've no doubt that a direct/announcements will be around the corner.

Issue is there should be also VC titles, or 3DS titles to fill the gap left by Third party games not being on the system.

It's hard for a 1st party to push out games like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Xenoblade every single year. Those games take a while to develop, and expecting them to have as strong of a 2018 as they did 2017 is unreasonable. This will be the year of some big titles from them, just not the same level or frequency. They will have smaller stuff and hope the 3rd parties can pad out the schedule.

Most of the first party launch games for Switch were games already in development for Wii u if not almost completed. And then some were reworked versions of games already released like Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Deluxe, Zelda, And Mario. Arms, Xenoblade 2(not sure if it started out for Wii U),and Kingdom battle I believe were created solely for Switch.

The rest were changed over from Wii U.

So in terms of new software being built from the ground up on new Devkits, and possibly engines there isn't a lot that's been in development. Wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi, and Kirby also started out as Wii U projects.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
DK sold 1.5 millions on 3ds, Even when a Lot of people already played it on Wii and it was 30 FPS.
Donkey should sell fine (unless price Is an issue).

Hyrule Warriors is niche, but it Will sell To
Zelda and musou fans.
DKC is an underrated great port on 3DS. Excellent 3D and graphics, better controls than the Wii version, even at 30fps. It's the definitive version IMO.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this feels less like "cruise control" and more like an above-average year 2 to me. Nintendo needed big and "new" titles throughout most of last year to keep sales momentum going. Now that they have a healthy lineup of software, they don't need a BoTW or Mario Odyssey every few months to keep things going. From here on out I expect that they'll save titles like that for the Fall/Holiday.

Otherwise, I think their software output is still doing great. We're seeing plenty of retail/indie releases on a regular basis.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Here we go, we've got the "Nintendo just makes the same games over and over! They never make new IPs!" garbage. We just need the calls for Nintendo to go third party and we'll have ourselves a good ol' fashioned Nintendoom thread.

I still don't get how someone can prefer a game getting announced years before it's even coming out over a game getting announced close to release. Games that get announced when they're barely ready and take years to come out almost always become victims of the hype train, where they get these massive builds that they're gonna be the best thing since sliced bread and get the huge backlash when they release and turn out not to be the second coming of jesus. The idea that you need to know every last thing about a game before it comes out to justify a purchase is really dumb, just comes off as being way too paranoid about spending money.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Which would be fine... if we had an indication that a few new things were coming soon. We're 2 months in and it looks like the next 4 months will be similar. That's the issue.

We've had a nigh unprecedented amount of major first party games in the Switch's first year. We may be in a new year, but the Switch is still in its first year until March, and I anticipate at least one Direct between now and E3 featuring upcoming title(s), and then another at E3, fleshing out the year's announced lineup.

Xenoblade was in December, and Kirby is soon, but yes, this final stretch of its first year is being supplemented with ports, which aren't nothing. We know of Fire Emblem, Yoshi, and very possibly Pokemon for later this year, and that's before any major Directs in 2018.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's technically still year one. They have games scheduled but nothing huge. It's apparent getting the Switch off to a roaring start was top priority.

Still, Bayonetta 1+2, Kirby and DK help fill the library. DK and Bayonetta 2 are games not many people got to play so it'll help.

The big issue is third parties still aint got shit out. I hope they dont all back load Sept-Dec with releases because there will be tons of bombs otherwise.

you mean companies shouldn't release 3 games in the same day in November?

Oct 29, 2017
NL
347677.gif

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They had such a great 2017 that I think they deserve to ride the wave of success that the Switch is having. If they can release Pokemon this year than I think this holiday season will belong to Nintendo.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
So I don't get why they don't contract out to pad their release schedule. Momentum at this time is important. Get Wave Race out, get 1080 out, get F Zero out, get Mario Soccer out.
Because they don't want to and often times it's a mixed bag. For a good majority of Switch owners the WiiU ports (many of them might as well be new to those who skipped the console entirely.) The Indies, the games with stupidly large replayability like Skyrim, BoTW, Splatoon, and Odyssey, and ports are more than enough to satisfy you. We even have Bayonetta 1+2, the third game on the horizon, Souls remastered, etc. Chill.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's output last year for the Switch was seriously impressive, with a top tier major exclusive planned for the platform every month (in some months, two!). I think it would not be an exaggeration to say that Nintendo's incredible showing of software for the Nintendo Switch was what caused its momentum to be sustained over the year.

But this year, so far, it kind of feels like they are in some kind of refractory, cooldown period- like they are on cruise control a bit, so to say. It kind of feels like they view last year as them buying the Switch enough momentum and cachet, and therefore time, for them to be readying their next volley of attacks.

Now, don't get me wrong- I am extremely excited for games like Dark Souls and The World Ends With You coming to the Switch (especially since I haven't ever played through either before, so they'd be brand new to me), and those games, as well as others like Kirby, Bayonetta, Yoshi, Ys, and so on, feel like Nintendo has taken the foot off the pedal for a bit.

My question is, am I the only one who feels this way? Do you think that this is something Nintendo can afford to do with the Switch? I'm a bit worried that for now, they are putting all their eggs in the Labo basket, and while Labo looks cool, it is new enough that it is not an assured bankable success (for now).

On the other hand, Sony followed a similar pattern with the PS4 as well, where, after giving the system serious momentum and sales in its first year, they kind of relented a bit in 2014, letting third parties and ports carry them with the odd mid tier exclusive, before beginning a new wave of software in 2015. Do you think the Switch has enough games coming from third parties that such a strategy would work for it too?

Its FEBRUARY. Bayo just got release, Kirby, DKC, Dark Souls are all coming before May, along with tons of other title, lots of unnanounced project. No, im not worried. In fact, there is too much games atm i dont even know which one to get first. This year will continue what they started. I am absolutly not worried at all .

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Honestly, this feels less like "cruise control" and more like an above-average year 2 to me. Nintendo needed big and "new" titles throughout most of last year to keep sales momentum going. Now that they have a healthy lineup of software, they don't need a BoTW or Mario Odyssey every few months to keep things going. From here on out I expect that they'll save titles like that for the Fall/Holiday.

Otherwise, I think their software output is still doing great. We're seeing plenty of retail/indie releases on a regular basis.

People are not buying a $300 handheld/hybrid console for indie game releases at those prices. I mean sure people are buying indie games on the switch, but they are not buying the system for those games.

PS4 had a horrible period over the first couple of years. A lot where saying it had no games, me included

It didn't have great first party in it's first year, but it had great third party and great indie games that were priced appropriately, not inflated like they are on the switch.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No one can pump games left and right. The support to the Switch so far has been nothing short of fabulous, covering almost all bases. Plus, we're two months in 2018, still lots to come. I wouldn't be surprised if juggernauts like Smash and Pokemon released this year.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Seriously? Just this year we have TWEWY and Octopath from Square, Bayonetta, Tropical Freeze, and Fire Emblem. Not to mention Dark Souls. Those are just what we know about. Pretty sure we are going to hear about Kingdom Hearts at E3, DQXI plans, and a couple of surprises, including a possible Pokemon game this year. If anything, this year looks even stronger

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda glad they're not releasing a blockbuster every month. The Switch isn't the only system I play on, and I have a backlog of titles pretty deep on it already. Also, we're not even done with year 1... there's absolutely nothing to worry about at this point.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, kinda agree with OP. It's looking anemic if you owned a Wii U. Kirby seems like much of a lower tier title itself, so looking forward to Mario Tennis as the next big exclusive is kinda sad. I really want to play my Switch, but these indie games only keep my attention for so long. Nothing like spending dozens of hours in a Xenoblade or BotW tier game.

Everyone saying "we're only two months into 2018" is missing the point. No first party Switch game last year was announced less than 4 months before release. So essentially up until May/June seems pretty locked release wise from Nintendo, thus that is where the problem arises.

What a peculiar distinction. To compare, Sony only has one original title in the same timeframe (God of War) but also has 2 VR exclusives and a remaster.
Microsoft just has the one original title (Sea of Thieves).

Now this line of thinking is silly and extremely reductionist - ALL systems have a ton of titles on the way, some new and some ports. They may not be from the hardware's manufacturing company, but there's no lack of games.
For Sony, two actually. You forgot MLB The Show. Those two VR games and remake are a lot bigger deal then you seem to be giving them, and Detroit seems highly likely for May/June. That's compared to Nintendo releasing mostly ports of recent games, Kirby, and Mario Tennis, which is easy to see why it's not as good in comparison.

Seriously? Just this year we have TWEWY and Octopath from Square, Bayonetta, Tropical Freeze, and Fire Emblem. Not to mention Dark Souls. Those are just what we know about. Pretty sure we are going to hear about Kingdom Hearts at E3, DQXI plans, and a couple of surprises, including a possible Pokemon game this year. If anything, this year looks even stronger
ccieag All but two of the games you listed are ports, and one of those two doesn't even have a release quarter. It's rather easy to see where the issue lies. Hell, other than Bayonetta, every game you listed comes out May or later, which is quite a while from now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What a ridiculous call considering how great the Switch year 1 library already is and we're only in February.