• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Not sure if this is new or anything but it could be that starting with the Cyberpunk bundle, all Xbox Systems that come with games no longer have a digital code to redeem.

More info here
With Digital Direct, no codes are required. All digital content including games, subscriptions, and exclusive content will be redeemed to your Microsoft account and directly delivered to your Xbox console during setup.
And yes the most obvious reasoning would be to prevent second hand sales of digital codes that came from bundles.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like strictly a downgrade tbh. If you get a free Game Pass sub included then you can redeem it during a good month if you have a code. A game code can be sold and given to a friend too. I sold the digital copy of The Division that came with my original Xbox. This way is convenient for some people though.

Last edited:

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That's a shame. Was always a nice way to reduce the cost of a bundled system when you weren't interested in the bundled game.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
That's a shame. Was always a nice way to reduce the cost of a bundled system when you weren't interested in the bundled game.
I agree. This sucks for the person who gets a bundle as a gift and doesn't want the games so they sell them for money to buy a game they want or (like I have) just give them to someone if I already own the game.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. When I got my PS4 Pro, it came with RDR2. I didn't care for the game so I traded it in and was able to put it towards something I actually wanted down the line.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I wished there's a way to anonymously gift a public profile with a digital purchase, or a digital key token. They will not know whom the gift was sent from, and the receiving profile will be able to play the game once they obtain ownership of the digital key token.

I think DigitalDirect might be the way to anonymously gift someone digital purchases.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, there goes the reseller market at least for Xbox. Doubt PS will go this route, though

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
That's not good. As a consumer you should have the option to do what you want (sell it, gift it or keep it) with a code you basically bought.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boooo. This is similar to how Nintendo does it. Was nice being able to get cheap keys from bundles.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
eh, I don't share the optimism others here have. My PS4 came with Last of Us, GTA V and Destiny (?). Sold Destiny and GTA V, bought something I legitimately wanted with that money.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
So you lose value of being able to resell the codes and if you ever sell the console you lose that game too because it's tied to system ID and not a gamer tag?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Does this method ever expire? I can keep my system sealed longer to decide if I want to keep or resell?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Just like the move Nintendo, Nvidia and AMD made to stop reselling. Kinda annoying tbh, let people do whatever they want with what they buy.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
This is entirely understandable. I'll miss finding cheaper codes, but it's the fair and right thing to do. I'm surprised it took this long to get it done.

Too many people, including myself, abused the system.