• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first game wasn't my favourite, but it had some interesting ideas. The second game seemed to come out with a lot of hype and it feels like no one really talks about it anymore, was it due to launching next to elden ring? Or is it just not that strong of a game? I'm hoping to check it out one day, just surprised that the hype died down to this degree.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Personally think it's kind of "alright" in my book and nothing too special, so that's why it fell off for me.

But Elden Ring was MASSIVE and I think that just completely overshadowed it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good but Elden Ring sucked all the air out of the room. Plus a lot of the stuff I liked the most about the game are major spoilers so general discussion is a lot more difficult because I don't want to ruin it for people

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I feel like every hype thread for this was about how good the cutscenes looked. Not sure if that factors here or not

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It'll catch a 2nd wind once they do an expansion I think.

But I loved it, it's my goty.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I loved every minute of it, but there's not a lot to talk about, honestly. It's a great game, but it's nothing revolutionary that could spark a lot of conversation.

And Elden Ring definitely helped stopping any conversation from happening.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Eh game is still selling really well and bundles and helping. I know a couple of people who are playing this now they've moved on from Elden.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Not wrong - had a couple weeks where I was like if I find the time I'll buy and add to backlog

0 interest again

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It certainly has less flair around it but its a SP game 3 months old at this point. They rarely get talked about much at that point.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just not that different enough from the first.

It should've been set entirely in the tropical area because the first 2/3rds feel like i'm playing the first game.

Story is average, characters are as interesting as oatmeal, combat is so-so, Aloy takes so long to recover from being knocked down compared to the first.

I enjoyed it more than the first but it feels like a franchise that's already running on fumes.

The crafting was awful, having to fashion arrows every minute wasn't fun.

Loot felt worthless and I couldn't name one item I picked up if you threatened me.

The grind to level up armour and weapons meant most normal people like myself barely bothered with it and stuck to the same weapons throughout.

Climbing was outdated, Aloy crouching to pick up every item was tedious, a LOT of the skill tree felt useless.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i found it to be a dissapointing sequel. they made it more tedious with the increased focus on crafting and heightened aggression paired with worse equipment. missions that you were locked out of despite being the level because you didnt have the equipment needed for it. the sequel bait ending also sucked.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I was thinking about this few days ago too. Basically no one was talking about it just month or two after it was released.

I guess it was more of the same and didn't really do anything significantly new and different. It just... exists.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recently finished playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time on PC and absolutely loved it and Forbidden West became my most anticipated PS game coming to PC...was the sequel really not that good or just more of the same?

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I got it day one, played it for about 8 hours and had a pretty decent time, but just completely fell off when Elden Ring swept me and my gf away and we never went back.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
As one of the only people currently posting in its OT… it seems that way. Amazing game though and I'm sure future DLC will revive chatter.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it. It felt way to close to the original. Its basically the same game with some new machines and new quests.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No cute moon witch, it was doomed to fail.

325ad465076ef9c5531389cee58f9c25b84eba01.gif

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
That's a general thing with Playstation games, when the release month passes, nobody talks about them

InResolute

Banned
Jan 21, 2022
The game is just boring and the design is outdated. The Ubisoft-esque open world and Aloy's nonstop chatter severely detract from the experience.

The game is visually pretty to look at, but an absolute chore to actually play.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This Board does this with so many single player games. I bet I could find threads for big game x where big game x comes out and now no one is talking about it. That's what happens with most single player games. I dunno. Seems bubbley to suppose otherwise.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Only among core gaming enthusiasts like this forum and Souls Twitter and such. My casual friends are largely still playing Horizon FW and none of them touched Elden Ring. Get out of the bubble.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I started it but felt too similar to the first game and just another busy map waiting to be methodically completed. Didn't find anything that grabbed me and have dropped it for now.

I feel its too similar to the first game in plot, setting, aesthetics, tech and gameplay. And that the first game had so much plot developments when credits rolled that it must be a tough act to follow. Perhaps if I go back to it and get into it, it will change my mind.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time on PC and absolutely loved it and Forbidden West became my most anticipated PS game coming to PC...was the sequel really not that good or just more of the same?
It's a good sequel but it very much is a "more of a good thing" style release and nothing revolutionary. I love the world of Horizon and loved FW

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Forbidden West seemed to get really solid reviews so I don't understand why the hype died out so quick...Elden Ring can co-exist alongside another big game so I don't think that had much to do with it

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I dunno it was fairly meh outside of the visuals and being such a stark contrast of its hand holdy ness and by the numbers gameplay compared to the GOTY front runner a week later didn't help. It'll be bundled and marked down and moves millions of copies so I doubt Sony cares that much.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
What? PC is an incredibly important audience, and effectively the biggest one these days, in the age of streaming and social media. What do you mean it had nothing to do with that?
So a game that's not on PC means people forget about it? I'm sure Elden sucked some of the air out of FW hype but would Elden have vanished without trace if it wasn't on PC? Absolutely not. Games don't need to be on PC to find success.

If Elden was the reason (as a popular opinion on era) that FW was "forgotten" a PC release in the face of Elden wouldn't have helped those matters either.

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I started it but felt too similar to the first game and just another busy map waiting to be methodically completed. Didn't find anything that grabbed me and have dropped it for now.

I feel its too similar to the first game in plot, setting, aesthetics, tech and gameplay. And that the first game had so much plot developments when credits rolled that it must be a tough act to follow.

Push through the main quest as fast as possible. Ignore all side content until you feel like exploring a specific area or tribe. Its indeed all busy work and will feel daunting but there are aome good quest buried in there

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
not just Horizon, there's so many games that just came and went this year. Ghostwire Tokyo is probably the biggest example of this.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno it was fairly meh outside of the visuals and being such a stark contrast of its hand holdy ness and by the numbers gameplay compared to the GOTY front runner a week later didn't help. It'll be bundled and marked down and moves millions of copies so I doubt Sony cares that much.
No it wasn't. Literally one of the best games of the year.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty good. I haven't finished it yet but there's some narrative hooks id like to see through. Most of the side stuff feels superfluous to me, not sure it needs to be open world. Also yeah, Elden Ring came out, everything else went on the backburner for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.