• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All mention of platinumgames got scrubbed from his twitter account:
https://twitter.com/yusuke8shimoto
He didn't retweet the Astral Chains announcement of yesterday. By all accounts he seems to have left the studio.
It's quite significant because Yusuke Hashimoto directed Bayonetta 2 (not 1 though, that was Hideki Kamiya).

UPDATE: confirmed

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's still retweeting tons and tons of Bayonetta stuff though, and he kept the games + Star Fox Zero in his bio

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As of yesterday, he was tweeting/instagram posting concept art for the D2 collaboration with Bayonetta.

Look at the credit. It still lists him as part of PlatinumGames.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Eh, it's possible but we need much firmer evidence. As far as I know, we have never even known the director of Bayonetta 3

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the changing of the twitter name is the best evidence.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It does sound worrying, I wonder whether bayo 3 is getting rebooted (maybe not as aggressive as MP4 reboot however). I guess we will have astral chain will be platinum's game this year then, and maybe Babylon's fall.
i am lying to myself no way Babylon is this year...

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he probably left. When JP left he changed his twitter handle too.

Wonder if he'll still contribute art for Bayonetta 3 as a freelancer though. His designs for the series were wonderful. I'm a big fan of his work.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Kamiya will direct Bayonetta 3, since Scalebound was cancelled he hasn't been confirmed to be directing any other games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Kamiya will direct Bayonetta 3, since Scalebound was cancelled he hasn't been confirmed to be directing any other games.

I don't think Kamiya is directing anything anymore.

If Kenji Saito is confirmed to be the director of Bayo 3, then him and Takahisa Taura are the new leader roles faces of PG i'd say.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, hopefully that means Saito or *knocks on wood* Kamiya himself are directing Bayonetta 3 but with Taura working on Astral Chain that still leaves Babylon's Fall unaccounted for.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, boy. Here we go. Hopefully we get some clarification soon but that would explain why the update in yesterday's Direct was so minimal.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
please don't tell me we're going to get a MP4 like video about bayonetta in a few months, saying it has restarted development.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
That might explain the weird Bayonetta 3 bit in the Direct yesterday. That is, assuming he was the director.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
please don't tell me we're going to get a MP4 like video about bayonetta in a few months, saying it has restarted development.

Doubtful, as there wouldn't be a studio change rather than just a director change (and if it's indeed Saito directing it, then it wouldn't be a harsh transition as he was the designer of Bayo 2).

Saito was the director of Granblue before Cygames cut the funding, so it's possible they changed the directors once the project was confirmed to be cancelled.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful, as there wouldn't be a studio change rather than just a director change (and if it's indeed Saito directing it, then it wouldn't be a harsh transition as he was the designer of Bayo 2).

Saito was the director of Granblue before Cygames cut the funding, so it's possible they changed the directors once the project was confirmed to be cancelled.
still a mid-development director change probably slows down development quite a bit, even if it doesn't set it back a lot.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say at this point that Bayo 3 encountered dev issues, yeah.
i really hope nintendo learned their lesson with MP4 and this, and don't announce games way in advance anymore. they probably were in panic mode at the beginning not sure of switch's success so they had to, but now there's no excuse to just show a logo or short teaser years before release.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Saito directing Bayonetta 3 is kinda "eh" for me.

I wasn't too big on Rising and got bored of Transformers halfway through.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there the minuscule possibility that he joined Nintendo?

When working on Star Fox Zero he worked from within Nintendo EAD/EPD and there is precedent with Hidemaro Fujibiyashi.

It would also mean he could/would complete work on Bayonetta 3 as Director.

Otherwise yeah... Bayo 3 is not coming any time soon.

It would also call into question who is directing Babylon's Fall for SE.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa, this is a good sign people, he downgraded Bayonetta in meaningful ways, and star fox zero sucks. Platinum is only as good as who is directing the show, it's why they are so hot n cold among other things.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there the minuscule possibility that he joined Nintendo?

When working on Star Fox Zero he worked from within Nintendo EAD/EPD and there is precedent with Hidemaro Fujibiyashi.

It would also mean he could/would complete work on Bayonetta 3 as Director.

Otherwise yeah... Bayo 3 is not coming any time soon.

It would also call into question who is directing Babylon's Fall for SE.

I wouldn't say that possibility is minuscule, at all.

But there's no evidence yet.

Uh did we even get confirmation that he was directing bayo 3 in the 1st place?

No, but it couldn't have been anyone else than Hashimoto really.

Oct 25, 2017
It does seems he doesn't work there anymore.

But is hard to make any comments about the development of Bayonetta 3 based on this, maybe he was never the director and just did art, or maybe he was the director and will still be despite not technically being an employee (under contract or something).

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Well, this is kinda worrying.

Is Saito competent enough to handle B3?
He made revengeance and transformers. Out of all the budget platinum games he made the best one in devastation, and revengeance they made in like a year.

On the flip side Bayonetta 2 got a production bump, but hashi killed high level play and then star fox zero.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa, this is a good sign people, he downgraded Bayonetta in meaningful ways, and star fox zero sucks. Platinum is only as good as who is directing the show, it's why they are so hot n cold among other things.

This is pretty reductionist view of game development. It's also pretty clear you aren't aware of Platinum's role on the Star Fox Zero project, which was very much a product of EPD.