• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish i saw this thread this morning because i bought a year (not even with the intention of converting which isnt a bad thing) but because mine ran out last night and i wanted to top up to play with the boys this weekend. I guess i am completely fucked out of playing my games online until it's fixed.

Fucking sweet Sony.
No, it should work perfectly for you. If reports are correct, that is.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish i saw this thread this morning because i bought a year (not even with the intention of converting which isnt a bad thing) but because mine ran out last night and i wanted to top up to play with the boys this weekend. I guess i am completely fucked out of playing my games online until it's fixed.

Fucking sweet Sony.
wait, you can't redeem either even if yours expired?? that's really weird, because then it would mean that no one has access to online between now and the release of the next thing

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wait, you can't redeem either even if yours expired?? that's really weird, because then it would mean that no one has access to online between now and the release of the next thing

People have stated that you can redeem if you don't have an active sub to anything. But if the poster above is saying they can't redeem it, that might actually bode well that this wasn't intentional.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused by this thread; is there a summary somewhere to help me catch up on what is going on and what it means?
At the moment, and for the last ~24 hours, PS+ codes won't redeem for most people. Now (if you can find them) and PSN cash codes redeem OK. PS+ codes give a variety of error messages, obviously incorrect. Sony themselves will not sell PS+ on the webstore to already subbed accounts, saying "you already have this item" whereas previously it would stack. That's it, that's all we know. Previously it was suggested they would work for new / unsubbed accounts, but apparently that is not the case either.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused by this thread; is there a summary somewhere to help me catch up on what is going on and what it means?
No one has been able to extend their PS+ subscription for the past nearly 2 days. This "coincidentally" lines up with Sony announcing (rather cryptically as well) that if you have PS+ and PS Now currently, your subscription will be converted into PS+ Premium in June when it goes live, and you will retain PS+ Premium for the duration of the longer of your two current subscriptions.

As of the last ~2 days, people have been able to subscribe to a new PS+ subscription if they don't currently have one, but you can only redeem one subscription code and current PS+ owners can't extend their subscriptions/stack codes.

Playstation support initially said it was a server issue and would be resolved soon, but as of this afternoon that answer has been all over place but has, at least on some support sessions, evolved into an answer of "Yes, we have disabled PS+ redemptions/stacking for an indefinite period of time and we will let you know when PS+ redemptions will be allowed again"... Which makes many presume that Sony is purposefully disabling anyone from extending their PS+ subscription to take advantage of this deal/loophole to convert their PS+ sub to PS+ Premium at a much lower cost.

Sony hasn't said a damn thing about this and hasn't communicated at all whatsoever that PS+ codes wouldn't be allowed to be activated until June.

Long story short is it's a terrible look right now and until Sony makes an official statement on it, it seems safe to assume that they're pretty much fucking over anyone that bought new PS+ subscription cards/codes to extend their subscription.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Let's be real here. You are still getting what you pay for.
A very small portion of the userbase found a loophole and tried to exploit it for a day, now they plugged it. Too bad.
Not really, if they indeed blocked it. You paid for PS+ and are charged today, but you can't use the product today. How does this sound right?

I am set and have no issue, but those being angry at this have every right to be. They paid for something they can't use. Simple as that. Sony at the very least should've communicated about the issue or the block. So people don't buy PS+ cards right now.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surely there'd be legal consequences to just randomly block codes without warning.

Btw. Seeing the "gamble" talk. The gamble is to hope your ps+ tier gets switched to the highest tier. What's not a gamble is to expect that you get the ps now membership you bought. People paid for a product which Sony needs to honor

Articles from news outlets saying it was intentional

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
So apparently, this was intentional to prevent stacking.

Pushsquare updated their article:

www.pushsquare.com

Sony Confirms PS Plus Subscription Stacking Has Been Blocked

Conversion rates for consumers with pre-paid codes revealed

"I have checked the voucher and your account and can conclude that as of now there is a temporarily deactivated function for PS Plus/PS Now subscriptions which does not allow for stacking of either membership on already active memberships.

"This is only temporary and as soon as we have more information about we will let our players know, for more information regarding news for the new launch of our service please check out our blog."

EDIT: Turns out IGN also received a report about it being disabled too:

www.ign.com

Those on Both PS Plus and PS Now Will Get Premium Upgrade Equal to Their Longest Subscription - IGN

It's been confirmed that those on both active PS Plus and PS Now memberships will get a Premium upgrade equal to their longest subscription.

"Correction: IGN has received a report that Sony has temporarily disabled the ability to redeem PS Plus codes bought from online retailers. While we investigate further, we have removed any affiliate links related to PS Plus. Sony has been contacted for comment."

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

Those on Both PS Plus and PS Now Will Get Premium Upgrade Equal to Their Longest Subscription - IGN

It's been confirmed that those on both active PS Plus and PS Now memberships will get a Premium upgrade equal to their longest subscription.
Yep fuck Sony

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

Don't know what to say

www.youtube.com

It's a Sony (Remastered)

It's an 80s retro recreation thing.Follow me on Twitter, @SuckyEngy1zumihttps://twitter.com/SuckyEngy1zumi

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

They deserve to get shit on for this until they revert

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well that's fucking terrible. Why the hell wouldn't they say something? If my code works after the switch over to the new tiers, then I'll be fine I guess. At least the code better still work at least or I will be pissed.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS NOW codes of any kind don't work too for quite some time
They absolutely do work. What doesn't is buying cards or codes at official retailers as those codes get activated at time of purchase. Codes brought from 3rd-party sellers work because they were previously activated.

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

For the players.

PixieLayer

Dec 12, 2021
Has anyone else tried renewing their PS Plus after their subscription ran out? Do you still get the same error?

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I tried for ages to get a cheap PS Now 12mths pass and they were all sold out, but now this happened, not sure whether to even bother buying the standard priced PS now pass!

Meanwhile, MS still let you buy 3yrs of XBL Gold for ridiculously cheap and then upgrade to Gamepass Ultimate for nothing more than £1/$1...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They absolutely do work. What doesn't is buying cards or codes at official retailers as those codes get activated at time of purchase. Codes brought from 3rd-party sellers work because they were previously activated.

What you sure about that? I have asked this everywhere and all said those who got codes from retailers got expired or error messages and not just one or 2. This has been the case for almost a week now or more. Someone here in the very thread said that he got his code working and the PS NOW tag appeared but when he went trying the games it said to him your sub is expired. So codes may activate but the sub may not work, cus internally Sony deactivates it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

brokenswiftie Could you please threadmark the post I quoted, since these are outlets with a reputation. Thanks!

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone here in the very thread said that he got his code working and the PS NOW tag appeared but when he went trying the games it said to him your sub is expired. So codes may activate but the sub may not work, cus internally Sony deactivates it.
Oh ok. Other people have said differen't but I haven't tried to redeem one. I know if you got PS+ codes customer services basically says get fucked and ends chat.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty low for Sony. Like there's a reason MS let's people in with the cheap deal (it's not like they magically haven't seen the exploit lol ). Getting folks in the door on such good terms can still be profitable, and all of Game Pass' numbers show that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

Wow that's scummy as fuck

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's true than absolutely but I don't think there's really any proof that it's anything other than something is broken because even that support chat doesn't say anything other than they have stopped redemptions but the claim was it was more than one year.

When I talked to support they specifically said it wasn't an intentional thing and they were looking into it.

Them not allowing you to stack subs doesn't really make sense. Thats money in their pocket with no refunds and locking you into their ecosystem. Then again companies have done weirder things.

Conflicting reports. Some say wait until your sub is over, others saying to wait post transition. What they do need to to do pronto is COMUNICATE.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to understand, tried to extend my sub through the PS5 and it gave me an error instantly.
If the main problem (for them) was the stacked codes they could've blocked only that but who knows.

This has to be an error on Sony's part. There is no way they would pull the chance to redeem codes for 2 months, especially just before launching FIFA on Plus.

That would probably end up costing them millions. Doesn't make any sense even from a business perspective.

Not surprising...lol

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These articles don't really confirm anything. IGN says in the article:

Correction: IGN has received a report that Sony has temporarily disabled the ability to redeem PS Plus codes bought from online retailers. While we investigate further, we have removed any affiliate links related to PS Plus. Sony has been contacted for comment.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

www.pushsquare.com

www.ign.com

Let's see people try to defend this

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I get why they did this, it makes sense as they don't want people stacking several years of subs before they are converted, but shit like this you gotta announce beforehand, people are spending their money on a product they can't use. Why the fuck did they think being sneaky about it would be a good idea?
kinda but you get everything in ps+ also
What they meant is that they're basically getting the same thing as if they didn't have the 5 months of Plus, only the 11 months of Now, which as I understand, would be correct.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I get why they did this, it makes sense as they don't want people stacking several years of subs before they are converted, but shit like this you gotta announce beforehand, people are spending their money on a product they can't use. Why the fuck did they think being sneaky about it would be a good idea?

What they meant is that they're basically getting the same thing as if they didn't have the 5 months of Plus, only the 11 months of Now, which as I understand, would be correct.

Yep, this is kinda underwhelming :(
I thought I'd get my 11 months of Premium and would still have 5 months of Essential which I could upgrade to Premium...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is kinda underwhelming :(
I thought I'd get my 11 months of Premium and would still have 5 months of Essential which I could upgrade to Premium...

That never seemed realistic to me, just didn't make much sense for Sony to just generously leave a different tier of PS Plus in limbo like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.