• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense if they are just blocking the ability to stack even though I was thinking of stacking as well to take advantage of the ps now/plus loophole. Oh well I have my plus stacked till 2026 and ps now expires in august so I should be premium till 2026 if it works as they say.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I also had this problem. The response from Sony's support was simply:

"Victor E.:Hello

Victor E.:On this case right now you will be unable to add those codes to the account since we have disabled the option to redeem ps plus codes. The option is temporarily disabled. You will have to wait. We don't have information about when will be back. Do you have other question?

Victor E.:Thanks for contacting PlayStation, have a good day!"
This post seems worth threadmarking.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense if they are just blocking the ability to stack even though I was thinking of stacking as well to take advantage of the ps now/plus loophole. Oh well I have my plus stacked till 2026 and ps now expires in august so I should be premium till 2026 if it works as they say.
Unless they've told their support staff to lie to customers, which would be a really silly thing to do, they aren't blocking the ability to extend your membership. It's just broken atm. It's not some intentional thing.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they've told their support staff to lie to customers, which would be a really silly thing to do, they aren't blocking the ability to extend your membership. It's just broken atm. It's not some intentional thing.

Say what now?

Victor E.:On this case right now you will be unable to add those codes to the account since we have disabled the option to redeem ps plus codes. The option is temporarily disabled. You will have to wait. We don't have information about when will be back. Do you have other question?

wildphantom_

Feb 14, 2021

Wow. Yeah this should be threadmarked and sent to every retailer. Going to email this to ShopTo now as an Sony response to their code.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely shitty. A huge FUCK YOU SONY for this move.
If it's true than absolutely but I don't think there's really any proof that it's anything other than something is broken because even that support chat doesn't say anything other than they have stopped redemptions but the claim was it was more than one year.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's true than absolutely but I don't think there's really any proof that it's anything other than something is broken.
I was leaning towards it being some type of a technical issue until it started coming out that they're allowing new subs but not allowing you to extend your sub.

IMO it's obvious at this point. They're purposely blocking the ability to extend your sub and will keep it blocked until the new PS Plus launches. Hope I'm wrong.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
As someone who works in support please do not assume they know anything. They'll probably find out from Twitter before they get official answers from above.

That said if you can use their wording to score a refund absolutely do so.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was leaning towards it being some type of a technical issue until it started coming out that they're allowing new subs but not allowing you to extend your sub.

IMO it's obvious at this point. They're purposely blocking the ability to extend your sub and will keep it blocked until the new PS Plus launches.
Again no proof of that because that's not what the chat claimed. You and others are jumping to conclusions they are blocking extensions but it seems like something is broken and they have turned off all redemptions.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
You can't even extend your subscription from the PS5 UI, so there must be something wrong with the back-end - probably due to them being in the process of rolling out the new methods for subscribing to the new tiers.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again no proof of that because that's not what the chat claimed. You and others are jumping to conclusions they are blocking extensions but it seems like something is broken and they have turned off all redemptions.
There's no proof that something is broken, either. It doesn't "seem like" anything. That's just your opinion just as I have mine. And they didn't "turn off all redemptions". They turned off the ability, specifically, to extend your PS Plus membership.

And support chat specifically said that they've disabled the ability to redeem PS Plus codes.

It would seem like an awful big coincidence for this to happen right as we find out that if you have PS+ and PS Now, your membership will be converted to PS+ Premium for the duration of the longer of the two subscriptions.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There's no proof that something is broken, either. It doesn't "seem like" anything. That's just your opinion just as I have mine. And they didn't "turn off all redemptions". They turned off the ability, specifically, to extend your PS Plus membership.

And support chat specifically said that they've disabled the ability to redeem PS Plus codes.

It would seem like an awful big coincidence for this to happen right as we find out that if you have PS+ and PS Now, your membership will be converted to PS+ Premium for the duration of the longer of the two subscriptions.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
The support chat also specifically said that it wasn't an intentional thing and they were looking into it.
So, why focus on that one support thing and not the other?

It's not a coincedence at all. They're changing how PS+ works and they broke something related to PS+.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
I guess all we can do is wait and see because if it's to prevent extensions than yeah fuck them, if it's something else than I want to know that to.

Depublic

Apr 27, 2022
Made an account to literally comment on this thread. They absolutely know wtf they are doing. I purchased a code to extend my ps plus since it ends next month and I am unable to redeem it. I also cannot extend on the UI. My wife, who is NOT a ps plus member, was able to purchase it without any issues whatsoever. I contacted support and this is how the convo went:

Alexandra M.: Thank you for the details! What I have checked is that we have being notified there are some incidents trying to redeem it and actually, our special team is already working to get it fixed

She then proceeded to ask if I did PC or console to redeem. I explained I did both. She had me copy/paste my code to her to confirm it is valid. She told me it was valid and she will check into it a bit further. She then said this contradictory statement:

Alexandra M: Thank you so much for waiting! Due to the upcoming changes in the PS plus subscription, currently the PS Plus stacking is not available as we have removed the ability to do that. We understand how important this is for you and we will have answers on how this will work once the new PS plus membership becomes available. Please visit our blog https://blog.playstation.com/ for more details to come on these changes to our services.

I asked politely, "So, you guys blindly disabled a feature without letting anyone know? I wonder what you would do if your electricity got cut off without notice and your bill was current..hmm" She followed up with this stupid statement:

Alexandra M: I understand how frustrating this must be. I can only advise you wait until your current subscription is over then use your code. Extension/stacking is no longer available. Do you have any other concerns?

Nope. Bye.

So yea, sony can piss off.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
It's very clear they are doing this on purpose to close the loophole. They did the same with PSNow. It's not coincidence. It is just so poor from them considering MS has had a similar loophole remain open for years.

It sucks for those who bought a code and are struggling for a refund.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I understand the frustration of not being able to take advantage of the way the service will transition to score additional years of premium, but what exactly is "scummy" about Sony turning off stacking years if the assumptions about it being intentional are true?

The PS+ codes would presumably work again post transition and entitle you to the year of regular PS+ that you paid for. You just would not be able to extend the premium that you might get if you had Now or got it just for this transition (which going by this thread is the majority of posters).

I get people are upset that they can't get more for less, but is that really Sony playing dirty? I do agree they should have announced this if it was the plan, however.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So basically, when my PS+ sub lapses, my code will work again?

So fucking stupid, but I suppose at least I'm not out of money. 🙄 Or, well, I guess I'll find out in a few months... 🙄

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Made an account to literally comment on this thread. They absolutely know wtf they are doing. I purchased a code to extend my ps plus since it ends next month and I am unable to redeem it. I also cannot extend on the UI. My wife, who is NOT a ps plus member, was able to purchase it without any issues whatsoever. I contacted support and this is how the convo went:

Alexandra M.: Thank you for the details! What I have checked is that we have being notified there are some incidents trying to redeem it and actually, our special team is already working to get it fixed

She then proceeded to ask if I did PC or console to redeem. I explained I did both. She had me copy/paste my code to her to confirm it is valid. She told me it was valid and she will check into it a bit further. She then said this contradictory statement:

Alexandra M: Thank you so much for waiting! Due to the upcoming changes in the PS plus subscription, currently the PS Plus stacking is not available as we have removed the ability to do that. We understand how important this is for you and we will have answers on how this will work once the new PS plus membership becomes available. Please visit our blog https://blog.playstation.com/ for more details to come on these changes to our services.

I asked politely, "So, you guys blindly disabled a feature without letting anyone know? I wonder what you would do if your electricity got cut off without notice and your bill was current..hmm" She followed up with this stupid statement:

Alexandra M: I understand how frustrating this must be. I can only advise you wait until your current subscription is over then use your code. Extension/stacking is no longer available. Do you have any other concerns?

Nope. Bye.

Doesn't sound like they confirmed anything tbh. That's a common type of response when CS actually doesn't know whats happening and are trying to get you off the phone.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the frustration of not being able to take advantage of the way the service will transition to score additional years of premium, but what exactly is "scummy" about Sony turning off stacking years if the assumptions about it being intentional are true?

The PS+ codes would presumably work again post transition and entitle you to the year of regular PS+ that you paid for. You just would not be able to extend the premium that you might get if you had Now or got it just for this transition (which going by this thread is the majority of posters).

I get people are upset that they can't get more for less, but is that really Sony playing dirty? I do agree they should have announced this if it was the plan, however.
Because they are still fucking selling them. They could have put in the same blog post that plus stacking wouldn't work.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't believe people are giving Sony the benefit of doubt here

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019

The scummy part would be where they neglected to mention this in their blog post.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Because they are still fucking selling them. They could have put in the same blog post that plus stacking wouldn't work.
I agree they should've announced that. PS+ codes do still work for first timers or lapsed subs.

Is your anger that you spent money to take advantage of the transition that you wouldn't have spent otherwise and now can't leverage that to get extra premium instead of essential?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Do people think Sony closing the loophole is something they shouldn't do? I wish I could stack but I understand why they are doing this

PixieLayer

Dec 12, 2021

This and the fact that they had them on sale too. I hope they fix this issue soon and allow people who actually bought cards to use them. Blocking the use of PS + cards 2 months before the subscription even drops is ridiculous.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree they should've announced that. PS+ codes do still work for first timers or lapsed subs.

Is your anger that you spent money to take advantage of the transition they you wouldn't have spent otherwise and now can't leverage that to get extra premium instead of essential?
Yes. They are the ones who said that it would work in their blog post. Why should I not be angry. It's the scummiest shit ever.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's true than absolutely but I don't think there's really any proof that it's anything other than something is broken because even that support chat doesn't say anything other than they have stopped redemptions but the claim was it was more than one year.
You can't even extend your subscription from the PS5 UI, so there must be something wrong with the back-end - probably due to them being in the process of rolling out the new methods for subscribing to the new tiers.

I hate to say I told you so...

Nope. Bye.

... but I told you so.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Do people think Sony closing the loophole is something they shouldn't do? I wish I could stack but I understand why they are doing this
I think people would be understanding...if there was any communication about this whatsoever. I've just spent £80 on 2 years of plus that you could stack maybe a week ago without issue to now find it's useless until 2023 and with likely no hopes for a refund. That's the shitty part, the lack of any communication.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people would be understanding...if there was any communication about this whatsoever. I've just spent £80 on 2 years of plus that you could stack maybe a week ago without issue to now find it's useless until 2023 and with likely no hopes for a refund. That's the shitty part, the lack of any communication.
I'm going to file a dispute on Paypal.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
The scummy part would be where they neglected to mention this in their blog post.
I do agree, they should've messaged that.

Yes. They are the ones who said that it would work in their blog post. Why should I not be angry. It's the scummiest shit ever.
I completely understand your anger and frustration and am not saying it's wrong to be so. But from my view it's a bit of buyer beware as you're in a sense trying to game the system. I know that doesn't help you, and I do hope you and the others can in some way get the extension or your money back.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
They should stop selling codes and accepting codes already sold. You can't expect consumers to sit on those codes for years. They should have communicated that codes would no longer be sold/redeemable after x date. But this is Hindsight Sony we are talking about. Create a problem first and then maybe fix it.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do agree, they should've messaged that.

I completely understand your anger and frustration and am not saying it's wrong to be so. But from my view it's a bit of buyer beware as you're in a sense trying to game to system. I know that doesn't help you, and I do hope you and the others can in some way get the extension or your money back.
Any other company and this is me trying to get a deal but with Sony I'm a bad person.... I bought legit codes to redeem them now. Not when Sony deems so.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Them not allowing you to stack subs doesn't really make sense. Thats money in their pocket with no refunds and locking you into their ecosystem. Then again companies have done weirder things.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Them not allowing you to stack subs doesn't really make sense. Thats money in their pocket with no refunds and locking you into their ecosystem. Then again companies have done weirder things.
It makes perfect sense. They want you to pay $120 a year for PS Plus Premium, not $40-$50 with the conversion trick.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should stop selling codes and accepting codes already sold. You can't expect consumers to sit on those codes for years.
It wouldn't be years. It'd be 2 1/2 months. Once the new PS Plus tiers go live, redeeming an old PS+ code would just give you PS+ Essentials rather than PS+ Premium. So nothing to gain at that point, in other words.

May 14, 2021
It's like Sony goes out of their way to be the polar opposite of MS. MS has Smart Delivery, Sony goes with Dumb Delivery. MS let's you stack 3 years of XBL and convert it to GPU for a dollar, and Sony counters with "That code has already been used" errors if someone dares stack an extra year of PS+. Not a good fucking look at all. Feel bad for people who now have to make retailers believe they can't use the code they bought. I got 6 six years of PS+ stacked along with a year of Now, so I'm good I think, but I'd be rightfully pissed if my codes weren't working too.

Status
Not open for further replies.