• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

DyOibaqX0AAvlBI.jpg

Have on mind that all consoles from graph are at least 85m sellers.

DyPa1snX4AIkuHI.jpg

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Switch and PS4 look like a poorly drawn double helix together lol

I guess they will be continously trading places in being ahead launch aligned until one definitively falls behind, if that even happens.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'll do the honours: Switch will fall behind PS4 again after March due to PS4 having had a holiday.

And no, there never is a truly straight comparison, so maybe don't have the exact same argument of "but PS4 had an extra holiday", "but launch holiday"

/grumpy

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
How many threads did we get for this every time it happens? the 2 consoles didn't launch at the same month. They will keep going over each other whenever a holiday for one is coming.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's hard to compare PS4 and Switch this way because they launched in different periods so every few months the comparison will see-saw the other way.

The better way to compare I think is to compare the Switch's 2nd full year to the PS4's 2nd full year ... I believe the PS4 shipped between 16-17 million, so Switch is right in line with that or perhaps a bit better.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great success, but i don't really understand why the switch is only compared to other home consoles. I mean it's clearly the succesor to both the 3DS and the Wii-U

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Comparison might be off because of different launch periods BUT the very fact Switch is more or less in line with Wii and PS4 is per se amazing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
as everyone else says, due to the different launch period its tough to compare the two, but the switch is indeed doing amazing, no one is denying that.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The Switch is doing fantastically and Nintendo is making great games. Really happy to see this, the industry is better when Nintendo is killing it.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Love the success and I hope that Nintendo manages to up the software output. Last year was a bit dry for my tastes.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Truth, and people were predicting this gen would be worse off than last before it started.
But it is worse off. Even with Nintendo having a mulligan and Sony/MS having Pro versions adding to double dip sales.

Last gen almost 500 million consoles including handhelds were sold. Home consoles alone was 265+ milion.

Nov 4, 2017
How does it compare to GB, GBA and DS? Seems only fair that a hybrid console would be compared to portables as well.

I only use mine as a normal console, not portable.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Remember back in 2015/16 when people were saying the only way Nintendo could survive would be going 3rd party?

Fun times

OP
OP
Simba1

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's a great success, but i don't really understand why the switch is only compared to other home consoles. I mean it's clearly the succesor to both the 3DS and the Wii-U

So whats your point, we should compared to WiiU+3DS, Wii+DS, GBA+GC, PS3+PSP, Vita+PS4?
Despite Switch is hybrid in nature, its still one platform, and Switch hardware and Switch software have home console price points,
and Nintendo is pushing it like portable console.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
To think that if Nintendo just hadn't suddenly dropped Wii support, it could have been the best selling console of all time.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I hope the curve is different than 3DS though. 3DS sold best in its first two years, then kept declining after that. I hope Switch to grow in its third year and do very strong in its fourth year too, for the 100m dream to become realistic :P

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So whats your point, we should compared to WiiU+3DS, Wii+DS, GBA+GC, PS3+PSP, Vita+PS4?
Despite Switch is hybrid in nature, its still one platform, and Switch hardware and Switch software have home console price points,
It starts to matter if Nintendo discontinues the 3DS, because then Nintendo is dependent on the sales of one platform rather than two. That said, they clearly made the right decision to consolidate, as these numbers prove.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Bought mine this month. :-)

I hope that publishers like EA and Ubisoft will develop more games for Switch in the future. Mario + Rabbids: Battle Kingdom from Ubisoft Milan is really nice.

Oct 25, 2017
When there's good news about the Switch, it's a handheld.

When there's bad news about the Switch, it's a console.

I think that's the logic that's used around the place.

OP
OP
Simba1

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'll do the honours: Switch will fall behind PS4 again after March due to PS4 having had a holiday.

Actually based on graph, PS4 with other 3 months sales (so including March) will be somewhere around 35m, and Switch also should be somewhere around 35m in 3 months.

OP
OP
Simba1

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It starts to matter if Nintendo discontinues the 3DS, because then Nintendo is dependent on the sales of one platform rather than two. That said, they clearly made the right decision to consolidate, as these numbers prove.

I mean Sony also ditch Vita very early and focused only on PS4, but I didn't saw anyone brought that argument.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that a graph comparing it with older consoles should also include handhelds. Since it is also a handheld. Nothing more.
But given the replies i have received, people seem to have a hard time to not think immediately about console wars, which is stupid.

OP
OP
Simba1

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm saying that a graph comparing it with older consoles should also include handhelds. Since it is also a handheld. Nothing more.
But given the replies i have received, people seem to have a hard time to not think immediately about console wars, which is stupid.

But again, like I wrote, Switch hardware and Switch software have home console price points, and Nintendo refer to its like home console (portable console).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Good to see Switch doing well; I might still buy one myself eventually if it gets enough games that interest me.

To think that if Nintendo just hadn't suddenly dropped Wii support, it could have been the best selling console of all time.
It's still bizarre to me how the Wii was so badly neglected for so long before the Wii U was even announced, despite the Wii's huge success. Like seriously, did Nintendo just expect everyone to sit there just waiting for two years without any games and not jump ship to a competitor? Honestly, it was bad enough that it puts me off buying another Nintendo console. Having huge gaps between one generation and the next isn't good enough.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Literally every time they speak about it they refer to it as a home console.
It's also home console priced and has home console software prices and home console software sales rates.

Yeah okay pal.

Don't worry with these guys my friend, it is clear they are a little bit salty.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I think they have already discontinued the New 3DS, I can only find 2DS bundles in local stores. If Nintendo can reduce the production costs of the 2DS even further, they can sell the console to new target groups.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been hearing this about them for more than 15 years on the internet now.
they have always been more popular than hardcore players believe.

I've always assumed it was more wishful thinking from people who dream of playing Nintendo IP on other systems

Nintendo have at times done poorly, and at times done well, but to a certain group of people they've been Doomed since about 1994

That said, I didn't see them following up the Wii U with such a titan of a system