• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just got this email regarding my gf's Doom preorder on Amazon. I'll include the original email and my translation.
Hola:

Nos ponemos en contacto contigo en relación con el producto "Doom", de tu pedido [redacted] , ya que este videojuego solo incluye versión en inglés.

Puedes acceder a la versión en español descargando un parche gratuito desde Nintendo eShop.

Si compraste este producto para regalárselo a otra persona, por favor ponte en contacto con ella lo antes posible y proporciónale esta información.

Por favor, acepta nuestras disculpas por cualquier inconveniente que esto te pueda causar.

Atentamente,

Servicio de Atención al Cliente
Amazon.es
https://www.amazon.es/

Nota: este correo ha sido enviado desde una dirección e-mail que no acepta correos entrantes. Por favor, no respondas a este e-mail.
Translation:
We are contacting regarding the product "Doom" of your order [redacted] because this game only contains the English language.

You can acess the Spanish version downloading a free patch from Nintendo eShop.

If you bought this game to gift it to another person please contact this person and tell them this information.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience

Blah blah amazon customer service

Apparently they could only fir the English voices in the cart? Wow

Edit to include my opinion in the OP.
I think the concept behind this is fine, but it should be handled differently. Just include the language of the country you're selling the game in. So manufacture a cart with Spanish language included, other with English, and so on. Many games have had per-region discs with only one or two languages included, it's not a new concept. Then free DLC for the other languages and done.

Of if you're gonna handle it like this (only one cart with English, download the rest) then don't bundle the languages in a mandatory patch. That's dumb. Make a separate free DLC per language so that you only download the language you want, if you want one in the first place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lengths to which companies are going to avoid cartridge costs is becoming slightly hilarious now.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It`s cartriges on the Switch. We should be happy they even managed to include the entire offline gameplay portion on the cartrige. But I can imagine how annoying this must be for those who doesn`t speak or understand english.

mr lurtle

Oct 27, 2017
I usally play my games in english anyway, so for me that would be fine. Now I'm more afraid that german releases will only come with (the mostly terrible) german dubs.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Including only the original language on an expensive cart seems reasonable? I suppose I might be more upset if english wasn't my native language, but it is the original voice track.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usally play my games in english anyway, so for me that would be fine. Now I'm more afraid that german releases will only come with (the mostly terrible) german dubs.

I wouldn't worry about that. They usually don't do separate cards for DE afaik. The packaging may be different but they wont actually do different data compared to the rest of EU.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Are you ready for some "Zerfetzen und Zerreißen, Untergang-Kerl"? The thought of it is so bad, it's almost making me want to play the game in german, just for laughing through the whole game.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I think the concept behind this is fine, but it should be handled differently. Just include the language of the country you're selling the game in. So manufacture a cart with Spanish language included, other with English, and so on. Many games have had per-region discs with only one or two languages included, it's not a new concept.

Of if you're gonna handle it like this (only one cart with English, download the rest) then don't bundle the languages in a mandatory patch. That's dumb. Make a separate free DLC per language so that you only download the language you want, if you want one in the first place.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Xenoblade 2, even Nintendo does additional dubs as downloads, so I'm not surprised other devs are doing the same. It's an efficient way of cutting down game size without affecting the actual quality of the game. We can criticize developers all we want, but whether we like it or not this situation won't change until 32GB carts become cheaper/better available. Which is hopefully sooner rather than later.

I honestly doubt publishers are happy with the current situation either as they are likely also afraid of losing quite a few sales this way. Big mandatory downloads on a platform with very limited storage space is just something no side can be content with.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't think you need my order number
Looking at Xenoblade 2, even Nintendo does additional dubs as downloads, so I'm not surprised other devs are doing the same. It's an efficient way of cutting down game size without affecting the actual quality of the game. We can criticize developers all we want, but whether we like it or nit this situation won't change until 32GB carts become cheaper/better available. Which is hopefully sooner rather than later.
I mean, we shouldn't pretend that not including Japanese language in the European / American cart is the same as not including the Spanish language in the cart that's officially sold in Spain.

Deleted member 62

That's what is also mentioned on the back of the box.

"Download required: multiplayer and audio for languages other than English (9GB)"
rsw_doom2017mtkzo.jpg

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Are you ready for some "Zerfetzen und Zerreißen, Untergang-Kerl"? The thought of it is so bad, it's almost making me want to play the game in german, just for laughing through the whole game.

That reminds me of when they translated the Fire Emblem in the german version of Fire emblem Fates.

It took me a while until I realized what happened, and it made me laugh so hard lol

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we shouldn't pretend that not including Japanese language in the European / American cart is the same as not including the Spanish language in the cart that's officially sold in Spain.

It would have been nice if they could have put Spanish instead of English on the cart for the Spanish markets, for sure. This is also what Bethesda usually does on other platforms (for some weird reason Bethesda limited dub selection on quite a few games this gen -- when I realized I couldn't play The Evil Within 1 with English voices, I stopped playing almost immediately), but I guess production of Switch carts doesn't allow for carts to be produced for individual countries (or the amount of units they plan to sell is too low for that to make sense or whatever).

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
I mean on this I'd say wait and see how it's actually implemented, because I wouldn't take amazon's calling it a "patch" to necessarily be the actual way it'll be available. With them having it set up to have multiplayer as an optional extra download it would be surprising if they didn't have the languages available this way too.

Not saying they will definitely do it this way, but you i think you might be jumping the gun a bit in calling it dumb before seeing how it plays out.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda got used to additional languages being DLC, didn't bother me with Witcher 3, doesn't bother me with FE Warriors and it won't bother me with Doom.

That reminds me of when they translated the Fire Emblem in the german version of Fire emblem Fates.

It took me a while until I realized what happened, and it made me laugh so hard lol

Played this one in english, did they call it "Feuer-Emblem" or something even more dumb? Actually, that reminds me of WoW from a few years ago, when they started translating the names of locations and bosses ... that one Lich early in the game names Ras Frostwhisper got translated to "Ras Frostraunen". Tell you ... i did laugh hard.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played this one in english, did they call it "Feuer-Emblem" or something even more dumb? Actually, that reminds me of WoW from a few years ago, when they started translating the names of locations and bosses ... that one Lich early in the game names Ras Frostwhisper got translated to "Ras Frostraunen". Tell you ... i did laugh hard.

They called it "Flammensiegel".

I think some things are better left untranslated lol

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
I got the game preordered on Amazon.es too and I received the same mail.

This is far from being a good situation, but in my personal case I'm still ok with it. Now, my real concern is this: my Switch language is set to Spanish, so as the general way in games is to load the language that the system is set to, would I be a able to play the game (in English and not changing my general system language) without downloads?

I'm gonna ask Bethesda Support (Twitter) and Amazon, though I think I'm not gonna receive a clear answer.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this instance isn't as egregious as some other examples like L.A. Noire, but regardless Nintendo seriously needs to bring cartridge costs down somehow. Having to download entire 1/3's of games is going to eventually poison the well on multiplatform titles and choke off the kind of third party support they've been trying to garner with stuff like DOOM and Skyrim, not to mention it kind of flies in the face of what is supposed to be a portable console when you have to sit and wait for a 9GB download on the game you just bought.

Deleted member 62

To my Englisg-speaking mind "Flammensiegel" looks and sounds cooler lol

To my German-speaking mind, it sounds absolutely fine and I didn't even notice anything when playing the game. Nintendo's German translations are most often top-notch and add another level of humour in many cases.

Deleted member 62

The same is the case with Skyrim. Each additional language requires a 3.3GB download.