• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
it-takes-two-caso-take-two.jpg

Huge congratulations to Josef Fares and everyone at Hazelight Studios

giphy.gif

The rest of the winners.

Screenshot_1.png

Game of the Year Tracker

We're tracking Game of the Year (GOTY) awards from around the world. Discover what media outlets and players voted as the best titles every year.

www.resetera.com

2021 Video Game Awards Season - Tracking and Discussion Thread News - Entertainment - OT

Previous years: 2020 • 2019 • 2018 It's that wonderful time of the year again! It seems 2021 may have fallen victim to the year 2020, leading to the delays of a handful of high budgeted titles, including predictable GOTY contenders such as God of War Ragnarok. This means that this year's race...

Thank you to Kyle Key for gathering teh awards once again

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Fantastic game to experience with a friend or family member. Well deserved. I think '21 was a great year overall

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
Really creative game, but idk we're struggling to get through it. Something about the gameplay is just a bit meh most of the time, and the characters are probably among the worst in a game I've played.

When you look at the list in the OP, it didn't seem like a particularly weak year...

My opinion, but 2021 had lots of solid 8s but not a single 9 or 10

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Will never not love Josef and co getting tons of praise. Though I do need to actually get round to this. Loved Brothers and really enjoyed most of A Way Out, so expect to be very much in the love it camp.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an ok game. Just shows how weak of a year 2021 was for games.
I presume by "a weak year for games" you mean "a relatively weak year for PlayStation Studios". It was a very good year for games, but PlayStation first party didn't have a runaway critical success for the first time in the smart end of a decade.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Last year was an incredible year for games. Halo and Forza coming out within a few weeks was extremely "how do I hold all these games" meme, kinda like this month wit Horizon, Elden, Tunic, etc.

So many genres.

I still need to play this game.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
I had a blast with 2021 games. Maybe it wasn't a year of many conventional AAA games but certainly was a great year for somewhat unorthodox gaming experiences like It Takes Two, Returnal and Deathloop.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
2021 was probably the weakest year for gaming since 2014 or 2012, but to no fault of It Takes Two. It Takes Two was an easy GOTY for me and would've been in 2020 and maybe 2019 as well. Very well deserved. Beautifully fun game.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I went to the eshop to look for this game and couldn't find it, only to realize it never came out in Switch. I was kinda surprised because I felt this game would be perfect with the two joycons

Maybe one day?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Still have no idea how they were even able to make a game with the scope and polish of It Takes Two

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
It's the best non-Nintendo platformer in years IMO. Inventive level after inventive level. Loved it.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy for Hazelight Studios, and I am looking forward to them refining the co-op experience even further. I really hope that the success of It Takes Two helps the studio to continue to get EA to greenlight projects like this. With that said, I personally don't think It Takes Two was the best game of 2021. If I had to guess, the novelty of the product likely propelled it to top of many lists, especially with the pandemic factored in.

But that novelty was something that I personally felt with A Way Out (Hazelight's first game), and while It Takes Two is a much better game, specifically on the gameplay front, the charm of the online co-op setup waned, making it hard to ignore how much they dropped the ball from a narrative perspective.

I will be interested to see how products in 2020 and 2021 are looked back upon in ten years. Similar to It Takes Two, New Horizons benefited extremely from the circumstances surrounding it, but I don't think it was the highest quality game of 2020 either.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I presume by "a weak year for games" you mean "a relatively weak year for PlayStation Studios". It was a very good year for games, but PlayStation first party didn't have a runaway critical success for the first time in the smart end of a decade.
This post is just as bad if not worse than the one you quoted lol

Grats to Josef and the crew at Hazelight. Interested to see what they do next

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Do not agree with the "2021 weak year" thing...

For me, as stands, Returnal+Dread>>>Anything in 2022. Starfield is maybe the only thing that could change my mind.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Damn I just can't understand why Psychonauts 2 was not recognized more.

We probably will never get another one of those games.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't about 2021 being weak, I don't think it was, but definitely weaker than 2020 and now 2022.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
You heard it here first, lads. Only playstation makes good games.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Really awesome year looking at that list, every one of those games is top tier.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. It was one of the best experiences I had last year playing it with my sister. I was a little surprised that RE: Village came in second.

Also, everyone can have their opinion but for my money, 2021 was a fantastic year. I played so many new and different games. There are several games not on that list that I considered awesom like Kena, Age of Empires 4, Great Ace Attorney, and Mario Party Superstars just to name a few.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely earned

Psychonauts 2 slightly robbed , a bit of pilfering because it should totally have a few more

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an ok game. Just shows how weak of a year 2021 was for games.
I wouldn't say weak but for me personally it wasn't great either.

Congrats to the studio but if It Takes Two released this year, that wouldn't have happened.

I still need to play the game coop with my wife but have heard mostly good things.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Top 5 lowest Overall GOTY Winners so far:
1. The Walking Dead S1 - 74 (19% out the total count)
2. It Takes Two - 82 (21% out of the total count)
3. Death Stranding - 118 (25% out of the total count)
4. Bioshock - 47 (29% out of the total count)
5. Dragon Age Inquisition - 139 (32% out of the total count)

2012 (WD) and 2019 (DS) in particular were pretty tight years around the top 5. In comparison, 2021 felt the most spreaded year yet with 44 games winning at least 1 GOTY and 10 games winning more than 10 GOTYs.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Congrats to the game. Haven't finished it yet (maybe 2/3 the way through), but really enjoying it so far. Don't have much to say about the story or writing (nothing really against it, but I have a hard time focusing on that kind of stuff in co-op games in general so it mostly just becomes background noise to me), but I do like the art style, and the gameplay is just a lot of fun.

I'm usually someone who doesn't really enjoy traversal or platforming 'puzzles' in single player games (just makes me feel 'unintelligent' when I can't figure the trickier ones out in a set amount of time), but despite that, I really love that gameplay loop in a co-op game like It Takes Two. Thinking out loud to solve puzzles collaboratively with another person just makes the whole process really fun to me, in a way I just don't experience in similar gameplay styles in single player games, where that process just ends up feeling more frustrating (in general) when it's just me banging my head against a wall trying to solve gameplay puzzles.

Haven't finished it so perhaps my opinions change by the end of it, but definitely looking forward to what that studio does next. It's just one of those games that's really sold the appeal of co-op gaming to me, especially when it feels very collaborative between the people playing.

Belphegor

Sep 24, 2021
Plenty of sites weren't even included for arbitrary reasons despite the fact that they were included in previous years. Also the lack of Japan Game Awards is honestly baffling.