• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
NPD results for April 2019, Mortal Kombat 11 ranked #1 for Nintendo Switch specific rankings: https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...-2-mlb-3-switch-best-selling-hardware.118316/

Turns out it looks like the last time a 3rd party M-rated game was #1 on a Nintendo console was Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube back in February 2005.

What does this tell you about how third party published M-rated games sell on Nintendo consoles compared to its competitors?

What do you think will be the next M-rated third party published title that can reach #1 on NPD for a Nintendo console?

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
"What do you think will be the next M-rated third party published title that can reach #1 on NPD for a Nintendo console?"
GTA Switch

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Doom Eternal has a chance later this yr to top the Switch chart but it'll depend on the release month.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to hear how many third party M games actually launched day and date on Nintendo systems during that period.

And of those how many hit #1 for any system in an NPD month.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I suspect very few M-rated 3rd party games have been day and date released on Nintendo systems

Also I suspect Nintendo's own 1st party games makes that job a lot harder

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect very few M-rated 3rd party games have been day and date released on Nintendo systems

Also I suspect Nintendo's own 1st party games makes that job a lot harder
MK11 benefits from Nintendo games not having their digital counted. Otherwise, I think it'd be #2 or something

Mr. Patch

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not surprised when the previous two Nintendo consoles were the Wii and Wii U.

The Wii didn't get much of anything that was M-Rated. Some of the most notable M-Rated games on it were rail shooters, and that can say enough . And missing the initial Modern Warfare wave did not help at all.

The Wii U is self-explanatory.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
"What do you think will be the next M-rated third party published title that can reach #1 on NPD for a Nintendo console?"
GTA Switch

it really is a no brainer with gtaV still doing gangbusters.

i imagine rockstar themselves are balls deep in next gen (or gta 6 for cross gen) and don't want to personally port it, but why not pay a top class porting company and print the monies.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised since the switch's first half of the year has once again been sooo barren on the AAA space also not many prominent " new" games outside age old ports and indie games on the eShop

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
What does this tell you about how third party published M-rated games sell on Nintendo consoles compared to its competitors?

It tells me that these games sell if they release at the same time as other platforms. How many other M rated games have come out for the system that aren't late and/or ports? Genuine question, I have no idea.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised since the switch's first half of the year has once again been sooo barren on the AAA space also not many prominent " new" games outside age old ports and indie games on the eShop
MK11 is a very specific kind of game. It just means there's an audience.

Fighting games don't generally have a huge crossover appeal to the kind of audiences you'd think would be Nintendo's core audience so trying to throw shade like criticizing the admittedly ho hum 1st half is not a convincing argument.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MK11 is a very specific kind of game. It just means there's an audience.

Fighting games don't generally have a huge crossover appeal to the kind of audiences you'd think would be Nintendo's core audience so trying to throw shade like criticizing the admittedly ho hum 1st half is not a convincing argument.
I'm quite sure there was always a healthy audience for fighters on Nintendo systems going back to thr SNES days, same for jrpgs

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this ends up being eye opening for third parties

GTAV needs to happen already.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite sure there was always a healthy audience for fighters on Nintendo systems going back to thr SNES days, same for jrpgs

Not sure if SNES is a good comparison, the market landscape was different and the subject is mostly about talking about MK11 being the 1st M rated game to top charts in the last 14 years, which would exclude the whole of the SNES/N64 era.

Jan 10, 2018
I'd be curious to hear how many third party M games actually launched day and date on Nintendo systems during that period.

And of those how many hit #1 for any system in an NPD month.

There are not that many best selling M rated games in the first place. Call of Duty and Rockstar games(except Bully, Manhunt) are guaranteed to outsell everyone, than you have those with potential to outsell like Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Oh and Gears once upon a time.

Than the field gets alot thinner.

Now compared that to Nintendos lineup, which regularly outsells games on all plattforms.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
There are not that many best selling M rated games in the first place. Call of Duty and Rockstar games(except Bully, Manhunt) are guaranteed to outsell everyone, than you have those with potential to outsell like Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Oh and Gears once upon a time.

Than the field gets alot thinner.

Now compared that to Nintendos lineup, which regularly outsells games on all plattforms.
I still believe one of the reason 3rd party gives Nintendo thr cold shoulder is simply cause they dont want to fight for Nintendo audience in home turf just to lose. Specially the yearly suspecs that always release on holydays.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised black ops 2 didn't chart at number one for Wii U but I guess most ppl bought it where their friends were playing it
Watch dogs didn't release until 6 'months late on Wii U struggling to think of another m rated game that was high profile and released Day and date

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling it will never materialize, not on the current Switch at least
Switch can handle PS3 games easily though, it's basically the PS3 with 4 GB of RAM placing it right in between the current and last gen PlayStation consoles. And GTAV originally came out on PS3. The current Switch should be able to handle the game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Switch can handle PS3 games easily though, it's basically the PS3 with 4 GB of RAM placing it right in between the current and last gen PlayStation consoles. And GTAV originally came out on PS3. The current Switch should be able to handle the game.
Im not talking just technical stuff i just don't see Rockstar that interested right now, maybe in a couple years

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Boo Re4 deserves the crown or something.

But seriously, that is pretty crazy to think it has been that long. I really had no idea. If anything it looks as if the Switch has been headed in the right direction.

Oct 29, 2017
NPD results for April 2019, Mortal Kombat 11 ranked #1 for Nintendo Switch specific rankings: https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...-2-mlb-3-switch-best-selling-hardware.118316/

What does this tell you about how third party published M-rated games sell on Nintendo consoles compared to its competitors

That there hasn't been a single one released on a Nintendo platform with any real selling power for more than 14 years? This is the first AAA M-rated game to be released on a Nintendo platform, that wasn't an extremely late port (or otherwise crippled in some way), in all of that time.

Can't sell what isn't there.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
That there hasn't been a single one released on a Nintendo platform with any real selling power for more than 14 years? This is the first AAA M-rated game to be released on a Nintendo platform, that wasn't an extremely late port (or otherwise crippled in some way), in all of that time.

Can't sell what isn't there.
I was about to say BS and that you forgot about RE4 and REmake. Then I remembered when it was originally released and now I feel old. I remember when 3rd party developers were refusing to support the Wii with M-rated titles or decent support citing Madworld, The Conduit, Dead Rising: Chop till you drop and Dead Space Extraction sales. As if they werent all unappealing, niche or just flat out garbage.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What were the M-rated AAA games that released in those 14 years? The Wii and WiiU certainly had a dearth of those games, and Switch has, as well. I'm not sure the suggestion that this proves that M-rated don't sell well on Nintendo systems is right. And it definitely doesn't mean that it is therefore logical to dismiss Switch as an option by default, as many pubs have done.

I think WiiU might have had some in its first year, but using that system to prove anything about sales potential of any game whatsoever is folly. I think Wii had a COD, and that didn't do commensurately, but that only proves to you that WII might not be a good platform. WiiU, as I said, was a turd, so drawing conclusions from that is nonsense. Switch fostered from the very beginning a completely different audience, and it shows in the current sales of any M-rated game that does release.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
DOOM Eternal doesn't have nearly the same reach as MK. I'd like to be proven wrong and see it top the Switch chart but this year is super packed near the end and DOOM Eternal is currently being rumoured to be a late 2019/early 2020 game so it'll face a lot of competition. Only way I see it topping the Switch chart is if it gets released sometime in early 2020 as there doesn't seem to be anything big launching then (just like MK).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There's still not a lot of M rated titles but even the digital only games do well. I follow the digital charts weekly and the Switch top 30 is always hugely varied with lots of different software doing well. There is no reason at all for publishers to hold back M rated games for Switch if they think it's an audience mismatch. It clearly is not.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The bigger question might be:

"What AAA M-Rated games were released on a Nintendo system in the last 14 year that should have been #1?"

But I fear this thread will be:

"Isn't it funny that in 14 years no AAA M-Rated games were #1 because Nintendo is for little kids".

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wolfenstein Youngblood is the next big M-rated game for Switch. But it's not quite that big, and it releases the same month as Fire Emblem and MUA3 (which both could be pretty big), so it's very likely going to be 4th (behind SMM2's 2nd month). DOOM Eternal is the next big M-rated game for Switch after that. If it launches this fall, then there's hardly a way for it to hit number 1 since it likely shares a month with one of the following juggernaut releases: LM3, TLOZ:LA, Animal Crossing, Pokémon. If it's early 2020, then it has a decent shot at hitting no. 1 imo.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah I think the message here is:

"M-rated AAA 3rd party games can do well on Nintendo platforms if they arrive day-and-date with other platforms and are well-optimized"

Sadly the message that most AAA 3rd party publishers will probably receive is:

"Let's try again in 2033."
There's still not a lot of M rated titles but even the digital only games do well. I follow the digital charts weekly and the Switch top 30 is always hugely varied with lots of different software doing well. There is no reason at all for publishers to hold back M rated games for Switch if they think it's an audience mismatch. It clearly is not.
M-rated games have dominated NPD charts for years. To be fair though, a lot of that seems to be that AAA publishers seem to think that only M-rated games are commercially viable.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The bigger question might be:

"What AAA M-Rated games were released on a Nintendo system in the last 14 year that should have been #1?"

But I fear this thread will be:

"Isn't it funny that in 14 years no AAA M-Rated games were #1 because Nintendo is for little kids".

I asked earlier "what was the last M rated game that released day and date with the other platforms and was a good port ?" and it was completely ignored lol

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised when the previous two Nintendo consoles were the Wii and Wii U.

The Wii didn't get much of anything that was M-Rated. Some of the most notable M-Rated games on it were rail shooters, and that can say enough . And missing the initial Modern Warfare wave did not help at all.

The Wii U is self-explanatory.
Oddly enough, I'd say some of those rail shooters were THE reason to get a Wii, as they brought the light gun arcade experience home better than the PS Move did. House of the Dead 2&3 Return, HotD Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and RE Darkside Chronicles were tons of fun, and the IR setup on the Wii made aiming consistently more accurate than the Move.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a bigger deal that the #1 game is a fighting game that isn't Smash Bros.

Although I assume DBZF was #1 when it came out?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I'd say some of those rail shooters were THE reason to get a Wii, as they brought the light gun arcade experience home better than the PS Move did. House of the Dead 2&3 Return, HotD Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and RE Darkside Chronicles were tons of fun, and the IR setup on the Wii made aiming consistently more accurate than the Move.
As someone who played most of the rail shooters on Wii it still sucked. I'd argue the on-screen pointer accuracy was actually part of the problem along with the lack of tactile feedback.

Like, it was fun getting to re-experience those arcade games in their entirety but go back to the real arcade cabinet versions and you immediately realize the Wii remote is nowhere near as satisfying as a lightgun.

The original rail shooter games made for Wii were all better games, by far, than those arcade ports, but they still weren't very exciting IMO because the pointer gameplay is just so limp.