• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I will always remember this tune playing as I selected my weapons for the next mission.

Perhaps this is stretching the definition of battle themes a bit, but oh well.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
XCOM 2 has a good one, but the Tactial Legacy Pack's Legacy OST brought it onto a new level:

There is nothing better than this.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite battle prep theme. Follow by a great Final Map Theme.

Sorry for the poor quality. All others have been taken down.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017

This is easily one of my favorites, plays as you're assembling your army for the big final battle.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Another Fire Emblem example lol: I really like the theme from FE: Fates

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

This is your chance to prepare for a battle after a quick visit from a visitor. After this, you get a battle scene (2nd video).

How could one not dislike violin solo and ensemble bossa nova?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember which tracks were the battle prep in Final Fantasy Tactics A and A2 but I think it's this one?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Knew this would be about As Swift as Wind. That song is so good. Shame it gets replaced after the timeskip for part 2 by an inferior song
I don't know what it's called, but the music that plays on the loadout screen in MGS:V is straight out of a marine recruitment ad; it's great.
Yesss it's so good

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone who posted before me is officially a heathen

Jintor you get a pass

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat is always awesome in this aspect, and then Ace Combat 3 is also the best soundtrack in the series:

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Three Houses one is solid but honestly think I prefer Alm's from Shadows of Valentia

And while not really a battle preparation theme, the jolly Wonderful 101 Mart theme had me bobbing left and right as I strategized my purchase before moving onto the next level

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark's Main Menu:

And Combat Simulator Menu:

Spent a lot of time in both getting the perfect weapon / bot / team / map / gametype configuration or picking which level to run through.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The tension of being able to see her before you can fight, and this playing.

Also this one. It actually made the leadins to the battles intense.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Fire Emblem prep theme is Pray for Victory from Radiant Dawn:

It plays in the endgame maps of each part, which are always pretty dire situations for your characters, and this song captures that feeling of "we're fucked" really well. Plus the title of the song, "Pray for Victory", is perfect.

Another Fire Emblem example lol: I really like the theme from FE: Fates

I think I spend longer than normal in preps in Conquest just cause I'm listening to the prep theme, it's great.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How about Shin Megami Tensei's pre-battle negotiation themes?

Love that bass riff.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
As Swift As Wind is my all-time favorite. I never really paid too much attention to battle prep themes, but this one really stuck with me.

Pouh

Oct 28, 2017
When a music is so good that it makes the grinding less tedious. (Yakuza 0)

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The last sortie theme from AC6.

The next level of battle prep themes is when they switch up the battle prep theme right before the final battle.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could've gone for the easier example here with the official fighting game spinoffs but Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View is one of the rare times the main shmup games of this series gets to have its own pre-battle themes, and I feel that because of that it takes a pretty interesting take on the kind of theme you'd expect.

The first pre-battle theme, is a rather pensive, calm yet tense piece, which permeates all pre-battle dialog sections before actual fights. While the game lets you skip these almost as fast as they appear, it would be a shame to because theme itself is rather beautiful. It takes the main theme of the series ("Theme of Eastern Story") and takes in a way that gives it some tension. Honestly, it is a really nice track personally, and that it is weird why such a long theme like this is relegated to just pre-battle.

The second theme, in stark contrast, has an incredibly short loop, and is used for the pre-battle dialog before the last boss of the game. This theme is really short, probably one of the shortest themes the series has ever had to this day. Despite this, it still manages to give off a sense of finality, that the final moments are about to begin, as if the theme itself is making you rush into action. It isnt as grandiose as a theme, but it has a pace to it that makes you want to go for it, even after all battles before it.

Last edited: