• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
i stopped buying Ubisoft games on steam cause of the bloatware called uplay, no chance i will even consider to buy direct from uplay

Valve should do something about pile third party launchers on top of steam, maybe some login like Xbox Live and Bethesda is enough to deal with it, they should force ubisoft when they will comeback to steam to remove uplay from new release

Not gonna happen.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Why would Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, Activision and CDPR release their games on Steam when they can get 100% from their own launchers? This have been discussed numerous of times. Recently in a thread regarding Metro Exodus selling 200,000 copies within days on Steam, one year after Epic's and Gamepass exclusivity deals.

But CDPR are still selling their games through Steam and are still going to in the future ..

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised that Ubisoft is sticking to their Steam boycott still, even now when all (IIRC?) games released after it became a thing have underperformed for them, officially.

They kinda are. Microsoft's launcher is barely noticeable, and EA is apparently working on the same thing.
MS games on Steam don't have any "launcher" besides Steam.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They should stop being dumb. Get out of any deals with Epic and pretend they didn't happen.

I'm willing to bet the game wouldn't have been a failure at any level if it had been on Steam. It's a great game that honestly didn't reach its full audience.

I don't know if it would have been a success but I think we now have enough data to conclude that a significant part of the userbase does not blindly follow the games on whatever service they are available. Steam has its own audience that has shown the willingness to wait for a game to hit Steam before buying.

I wouldn't rule it out. From what we know so far EA is planning to streamline the games that they'll make available through Steam so that they have a minimal launcher or no launcher at all. I could see Ubisoft eventually doing the same thing.

I'm actually surprised that Ubisoft is sticking to their Steam boycott still, even now when all (IIRC?) games released after it became a thing have underperformed for them, officially.

The suits that make these boneheaded decisions aren't known for admitting their mistakes. That said, I still expect The Division 2 to launch on Steam sooner or later.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Tim Sweeney apparently seems to think that Valve matched Epic's revenue share in order to get EA to release their games on Steam. Micheal Patcher said the same thing. I don't know if it's true, but I see no reason for Ubisoft to not release their games on Steam if Valve offered them a deal as well.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Tim Sweeney apparently seems to think that Valve matched Epic's revenue share in order to get EA to release their games on Steam. Micheal Patcher said the same thing. I don't know if it's true, but I see no reason for Ubisoft to not release their games on Steam if Valve offered them a deal as well.

Sweeney and Pachter are lying through their teeth. There has been no change in policy when EA came back.

Heck, the same proportional revenue share system introduced in 2018 will apply to EA just like CDPR if their games are successful enough. (20% share if crosses 50 mil in revenue)

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
People are sad that GeForce Now didn't work out. When Valve release their cloud service, people will really start to notice that Ubisoft and Blizzard won't be among their cloud library on Steam.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm not sure there's any reason to believe it won't show up.

I think it'll be on Steam come March, unless there's a deal renewal in the works (which I doubt). There's simply no reason to leave the money on the table and they clearly need as many players as they can get considering the recent $3 sale, not to mention the sales not meeting their expectations.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Valve CAN'T match Epics Revenue share. Physical stores take 10 to 15% on every Gift Card. Steam gift cards are a very big chunk of Steam sales in emerging markets.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
Some people wanted Steam to be curated so I think the lack of Ubisoft games is a good first step towards better tomorrow.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lol at ppl whining at uplay. Its a much more competent and complete launcher than epic will ever be. Its actually very nice with the whole uplay points and rewards.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Still nothing. Consider me surprised if they releade this on Steam now. It's funny to see how Ubisoft considered this to be the right time to leave Steam, while EA and Microsoft decided the time was right to start releasing every major title om Steam moving forward.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I hope they keep releasing them - sucks if they don't cause I got all of the AC games on steam.

If they don't bother I am just gonna wait till uplay versions are $10 or less

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
UPlay is the place to get Ubisoft games.

Going with your logic, 100% out of low margin of new users since launch sounds worse than taking 70% from purchases made by new users who can come from Steam userbase.

The game just doesn't seem to do well no matter what. I doubt it blew up on consoles if it's not doing well on PC. Steam doesn't mean instant success, if gamers want it they know where to find it, just like Overwatch, Minecraft, and Fortnite.

Now I'm reminded about Watchdogs Legion, I should look up when that comes out but I need to forget about it again. I can't wait.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
UPlay is the place to get Ubisoft games.

The game just doesn't seem to do well no matter what. I doubt it blew up on consoles if it's not doing well on PC. Steam doesn't mean instant success, if gamers want it they know where to find it, just like Overwatch, Minecraft, and Fortnite.

Now I'm reminded about Watchdogs Legion, I should look up when that comes out but I need to forget about it again. I can't wait.

I checked pricing on Ghost Recon and it was much cheaper through Epic than Ubisoft.

So here's the situation. Despite the fact that Metro Exodus was available on EGS for a year and despite the fact that its price during the EGS holiday sale was less than half of the game's launch price on Steam, at least 200,000 people chose to spend more money and buy it on Steam instead of spending less money and getting the game much sooner on EGS. It's not logical to assume that so many people just enjoy throwing their money away. The logical assumption is that there has to be some logical reason for it that you are simply unable to understand.

It proves some people are set in their ways and either don't want to support Epic or they like the options Steam allows. One thing is for certain and that is Epic has made waves both good and bad and now it looks as though Ubisoft figures they don't need Steam as much as they used to.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna quote myself from the last page, since it's still valid:
Thread is three weeks too early. Historically, Steam versions of EGS exclusives were shadowdrops or near-shadowdrops. If March 16th rolls around and there's still no word on a Steam release, then we can have this thread.
Bottom line remains the same: thread is still a week too early, and I reserve the right to tell OP "I told you so" if The Division 2 shadowdrops on Steam this week or early next week.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I checked pricing on Ghost Recon and it was much cheaper through Epic than Ubisoft.
Yeah getting Ubisoft games through EGS can be very cheap, I just didn't mention it because it usually takes things off course in discussions. Though if you play a lot of Ubisoft games you can get a discount from collecting achievements (better than the pennies cards on steam get). If Ubisoft and EGS has a sale going at the same time you can get their games for dirt cheap ($5 for Watchdogs 2 for example). Also when you get a Ubisoft game on EGS you don't have to launch EGS for it so getting crazy sale combos there is a good idea if there is one.

I like Ubisoft achievement system because it's one of the only ones that actually give you an award when you unlock them. Insomniac's Skill Point system in the old days did that (Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, Resistance, etc.). You can get 20% off anything but preorders with only 100 Uplay credits, one Uplay challenge can get you 10, 20, 40 credits or so. You can also use those points for unlocking stuff in games, like skins, or items. Unfortunately Ubisoft is all about that microtransaction life, so these items also include boosters in single player games like Assassin's Creed.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Steam is the only store front that works in Linux so if it's not there I'm not going to be able to buy it.
Too bad it's not a big market, but Steam is the only one that is proper multiplatform (mac, windows and linux).

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I agree there must have been some kind of custom deal for EA to so suddenly have gone from zero support for Steam to 100% support where at least some of their games won't even need Origin. My guess is they settled on a flat 15%.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Sweeney, like Galyonkin, has a history of twisting the facts to suit his own agenda (e.g. the absurd snafu surrounding whether Shenmue 3 backers would have the option of a belated Steam key), and Pachter is famously bad at making assumptions, so neither should be considered an authority on the subject.

To me, it seems like a safe bet that what prompted EA's change of heart was Valve agreeing to implement support for subscription services, thereby paving the way for the upcoming launch of EA Access on Steam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Sweeney, like Galyonkin, has a history of twisting the facts to suit his own agenda (e.g. the absurd snafu surrounding whether Shenmue 3 backers would have the option of a belated Steam key), and Pachter is famously bad at making assumptions, so neither should be considered an authority on the subject.

To me, it seems like a safe bet that what prompted EA's change of heart was Valve agreeing to implement support for subscription services, thereby paving the way for the upcoming launch of EA Access on Steam.

Do we know if Valve receives a cut from subscription services?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Im with you OP. Not buying any Ubi games until they're back on steam personally. Uplay itself isn't too bad honestly, except that it keeps flipping and flopping between my old avatar and new one for whatever reason. Also the payment processor bans me for 72 hours every other time. That's annoying and I'd rather just use Steam wallet.