• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
We might see more developers take the metro approach after the success. Epic pays you for exclusivity, they can launch on their own site and then a year plus down the road launch on steam and get even more sales.

Epic can't keep paying publishers to do this. We're already seen less and less exclusives being bought as well.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a hint. Read the sentence I wrote that you replied to where I literally and explicitly point out the different.

Ok. This is what you wrote:

Terrible analogy. Metro doesnt use its own proprietary launcher.

My guess would be that the people asking for a Steam version want a game that activates on Steam. The uPlay version doesn't activate on Steam. How does the existence of a proprietary launcher change anything?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This. But I guess people want Steam Trading Cards, Achievements and that kind of stuff, too.
Not really an issue because EGS has/had some amazing deals going for Ubigames. Got the Anno 1800 Gold Edition for 30€ through Christmas and The Divisin 2 for 5€. And I still got a 10€ store card from these two deals that I can redeem until May 2020.
Talk for yourself. Ubisoft games in EGS for me don't have regional pricing, or are more expensive than the Ubisoft store itself. Meanwhile, I could get them for a better price in another storefront.

Fuck Sweeney, disgusting piece of shit. Hope his shitty store dies soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I have EGS, Uplay, Origin and Steam installed and I get the games I want to play on the store where I need to get them or where they are cheapest. It literally matters 0% what program you open to start a game
For the launchers you mentioned, I agree with you. I've not had many issues with Epic's free games and I use Origin for Apex Legends. But I don't really value ownership in these other stores as much and I will never buy any full price games on these. When I have hundreds of games, I'm starting to forget what launcher each of them is on. Last month I actually forgot I had a game called Bad North for free on Epic already and wasted one of my Humble Choices on it.

However, there is one launcher where it's not entirely irrelevant and that is Microsoft Store (and by extension Xbox Game Pass). Those games install into a folder you aren't allowed to modify in any way and uses some kind of built-in Windows 10 script to launch. Games on Microsoft Store are extremely restricted in ways that other launchers are not, and it's why it is a noticeably worse store than any other.

Oct 31, 2017
I have EGS, Uplay, Origin and Steam installed and I get the games I want to play on the store where I need to get them or where they are cheapest. It literally matters 0% what program you open to start a game
I have all of them and few more. I have several games on each one of these accounts too. Sometimes numbering up to dozens.
I will still refuse to buy games where I don't want them and frankly there's no amount of questionable apologetic bullshit about being "just another icon to click" that will ever convince me otherwise.

IMO they should really go for it and stop releasing even Assassin's Creed on Steam... I bet such a big franchise would really make people more willing to go to their storefront (and also EGS, as their cut is way smaller).
I would reply that this would just make me skip Assassin's Creed as well... But let's be honest. Who am I kidding? I already DO skip Assassin's Creed.
And Uplay being there is just PART of the reasons.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

I've had the Uplay client crash on me so many times without explanation, which also affects the game I'm playing that I wouldn't say it matters 0%. If we could just buy games from anywhere but not have to rely on the clients to run them, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
anecdotal but uplay is the only 3rd party launcher i don't particularly "notice" i'm not launching a game through steam. but i play a crap ton of ubi stuff and they're mostly opened through desktop shortcuts

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thread is three weeks too early. Historically, Steam versions of EGS exclusives were shadowdrops or near-shadowdrops. If March 16th rolls around and there's still no word on a Steam release, then we can have this thread.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's a $3 game now. Don't try and pawn your failures off on Steam users, like we're supposed to bail you out for your greedy decisions.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Warlords of NY releases march 3rd, the deal expires march 12, even if they would release the game on Steam, wich I pretty much doubt, they probably only annouce it after the expansion launches to drive sales to Uplay first.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
And then you would have had to launch it through uplay anyway.

I don't mind that, my steam controller and steam home streaming would work without me doing anything. Basically various small inconveniences coupled with the fact that i don't care that much about the game means i just will not bother.

The HORROR of using Uplay XD

I will never understand people who mock others for inoffensive preferences regarding a hobby.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
One could see it as way to get new people into the game just as major expansion is releasing?

33€ for base game experience and new expansion is sweet deal for amount of content of offer, basically 50% off sale.

Sure, I get it but... $3 is so ridiculously low. Has any other AAA game done such a sale one year after release?

A game doesnt have to be a success or a failure. A game could be doing "fine". And that should be common, I am so tired of the black or white arguments.

That's understandable and I don't disagree but Ubisoft themselves think that the game underperformed.

gamerant.com

The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint Underperformed, Says Ubisoft

Ubisoft confirms that both The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint have underperformed on the back of dismal fiscal reporting.

Obviously it doesn't mean that the game is a failure but it didn't hit the sales target that Ubisoft wanted.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the importance of putting Ubisoft games on Steam when you still have to launch them through uPlay anyways. Just a little extra bloat to deal with.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Ubisoft probably feels they don't need to be on Steam even with the game being $3 I'm sure its gotten more people into the Uplay ecosystem

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I want it on steam is because of steamlink. Gotten so used to streaming to a tablet + controller on the couch.

Tried adding The Division 2 as a shortcut and launching it like that. Controls were a complete mess. Have to use Moonlight Just for The Division, which doesn't stream as well.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lol its not coming to steam. 6x more sales on uplay means shit when you got all the sales accounted for in the upfront payment from epic.

Their games will just sell less and less but as long as the moneyhatting continues.

ALSO LMAO at ppl saying we want it on steam cause steam cards. Stop acting like you dont use steam features, such as broadcasting, watching or even taking screenshots.

Also, regional pricing on egs my ass. I get ac origins at full 60 dollars, still, and many more Ubisoft games at full price still. Its ridiculous. So if you are going to say shit like this make sure you are speaking for yourself and not others cause i sure as hell dont get regional pricing and i sure as hell use all my steam features.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Talk for yourself. Ubisoft games in EGS for me don't have regional pricing, or are more expensive than the Ubisoft store itself. Meanwhile, I could get them for a better price in another storefront.

Fuck Sweeney, disgusting piece of shit. Hope his shitty store dies soon.
Where are you from and how expensive is the game for you? I am from Germany. Division 2 was 14,99€ during Christmas and you got 10€ off for every game that was 14,99€ or more. Same for Anno, which was around 40€. I can't complain. You also get a lot of free games during EGS. But yeah, more options are always welcome.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
$3 fire sales are a sure sign of a healthy game that released March 2019.

What's being made up?

They're *very obviously* doing this to get people in for the new expansion. I think most folks were expecting the base game to go outright F2P honestly . I'm actually not sure which was the better call; I mean yeah $3 is still $3 and helps cover some of their server etc costs as opposed to $0 but it's a bizarrely low pricepoint that raises eyebrows. At the same timethough F2P may have been a better call but then you still would have had people say THAT was an indicator of the game failing anyway.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Not happening. Ubisoft made out like bandits here. They even played Epic for the fools they are.

They get paid by Epic while also reaping the rewards of getting more sales to their own store (where they get 100% of the profit), which most people are using because "fuck Epic."

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Not happening. Ubisoft made out like bandits here. They even played Epic for the fools they are.

They get paid by Epic while also reaping the rewards of getting more sales to their own store (where they get 100% of the profit), which most people are using because "fuck Epic."
Yup, that's what I've been saying ever since they made the announcement.

IMO, Starlink is gonna be the last Ubi game released on Steam for a while.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

There's no question that Epic got played but Steam has its own audience that won't buy games elsewhere. I think that Ubisoft games will return to Steam.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is completely dead, I've seen it on sale multiple times for like £3. Pointless.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
^Doesn't seem to be the case at all from what I've seen. Also... this seems to be the first time this game has gone on sale for 95% off.

There's no question that Epic got played but Steam has its own audience that won't buy games elsewhere. I think that Ubisoft games will return to Steam.
I am all for, 100% ready for that to be the case. I picked up a lot of Ubisoft games on Steam, most of which were at launch. Always enjoyed playing through the latest Far Cry games and most Assassin's Creed titles.

Now? Eh. Let's just say that I highly doubt I will ever pick up a new Ubisoft game at full price without it being on Steam. If they stick with their current plan, then I'm alright waiting for a deep discount ala what happened with The Division 2. If it means I'll have to wait a year or more, so be it. I've already found that I'm fine waiting for other games for that long (thanks Epic).

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't think that Ubi had any plans to release this on Steam when they could use a major game release to drop exclusively on their own service. I think they found a sucker willing to pony up millions in Epic and milked them for all they could...

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you from and how expensive is the game for you? I am from Germany. Division 2 was 14,99€ during Christmas and you got 10€ off for every game that was 14,99€ or more. Same for Anno, which was around 40€. I can't complain. You also get a lot of free games during EGS. But yeah, more options are always welcome.
Latin America.

It seems they aren't overcharging Ubisoft games. But unlike other games in the store, they don't have the regional pricing, which is a big shame. I bought AC Odyssey Gold a month after release for like $30 - $40 thanks to regional pricing.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would wait for the year to complete before losing hope. They you probably do a out right now kind of move.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
That's understandable and I don't disagree but Ubisoft themselves think that the game underperformed.

gamerant.com

The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint Underperformed, Says Ubisoft

Ubisoft confirms that both The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint have underperformed on the back of dismal fiscal reporting.

Obviously it doesn't mean that the game is a failure but it didn't hit the sales target that Ubisoft wanted.

Honestly so many big corporations try to put some kind of positive spin on how their products do that any company that comes outright and says something negative like their product under performed makes me think it did really badly.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly so many big corporations try to put some kind of positive spin on how their products do that any company that comes outright and says something negative like their product under performed makes me think it did really badly.

Agreed. They had a fire sale for $3 less than a year since the game came out. That's not a good sign.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
They're *very obviously* doing this to get people in for the new expansion. I think most folks were expecting the base game to go outright F2P honestly . I'm actually not sure which was the better call; I mean yeah $3 is still $3 and helps cover some of their server etc costs as opposed to $0 but it's a bizarrely low pricepoint that raises eyebrows. At the same timethough F2P may have been a better call but then you still would have had people say THAT was an indicator of the game failing anyway.

You know what the difference between a 3$ firesale as a "promotion" for a new expansion and what a free-period promotion for a new expansion is?

The first is used to bolster your sales, to look good. The second is you being confident in your sales and product. Successful non-f2p GaaS games either don't do firesales when releasing a new xpac or make the base game free for the xpac.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny to see this topic next to Siege closing in on 200k concurrent on Steam.

"It's just a launcher"

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
They should stop being dumb. Get out of any deals with Epic and pretend they didn't happen.

I'm willing to bet the game wouldn't have been a failure at any level if it had been on Steam. It's a great game that honestly didn't reach its full audience.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
i stopped buying Ubisoft games on steam cause of the bloatware called uplay, no chance i will even consider to buy direct from uplay

Valve should do something about pile third party launchers on top of steam, maybe some login like Xbox Live and Bethesda is enough to deal with it, they should force ubisoft when they will comeback to steam to remove uplay from new release

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is the expectations of the publisher. Both Division 2 and Ghost Recon 2 are GaaS Loot Shooters in concept. So the ultimate goal is always to be as successful as Destiny or maybe Warframe. Failing to reach their numbers and content revenue stream is underperforming.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
i stopped buying Ubisoft games on steam cause of the bloatware called uplay, no chance i will even consider to buy direct from uplay

Valve should do something about pile third party launchers on top of steam, maybe some login like Xbox Live and Bethesda is enough to deal with it, they should force ubisoft when they will comeback to steam to remove uplay from new release

They kinda are. Microsoft's launcher is barely noticeable, and EA is apparently working on the same thing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm what would had helped this games to succeed in the pc gaming space

Destiny 2 had a trouble launch on pc and then something happened, they even gave the game for free on the blizzcon but that didn't boost the players
Considering the latest prices for Division 2 I don't understand why they don't make the core game F2P.