• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hot take: It should be against the laws for search companies to sell ads as results. I typed in "Southwest phone" yesterday and the number for American Airlines came up first. That's dirty. Yes, people are stupid, but tech companies are making bank on that stupidity. I don't blame people for being confused when websites are designed to confuse the average user.

I just did this to see what you meant, and the correct number for Southwest Airlines was in a fancy box at the top of the screen, not even as a search result. I don't know what you saw, but this is kinda cool to me. I didn't know that Google extracted information like this from websites, ready to show at a moment's notice.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
People typing in google.com in the adress bar to google other links is something.
Occasionally the combination URL/search box is a problem. Say I want to Google something with periods in the name, like a DLL or something. At least on some browsers, if I search for something like oracle.dataaccess.client, it'll try to go to http://oracle.dataaccess.client/ instead of performing a search.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Working in IT taught me that the smartest people on the planet can have the hugest oversights in their knowledge base. I'm talking about shit like guys working on the cure for cancer who would complain that they couldn't send emails, then like four questions into the call, I'd discover the internet is out and they already knew that. "I DON'T WANT TO USE THE INTERNET! I JUST WANT TO SEND AN E-MAIL, MULCIBER!!"

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm off the similar but kind of opposite experience where people will type Google into the address bar to search Google for another URL or query. And are oblivious to the fact that they can just do all that in the address bar and are confused when you point that out.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm off the similar but kind of opposite experience where people will type Google into the address bar to search Google for another URL or query. And are oblivious to the fact that they can just do all that in the address bar and are confused when you point that out.

This became so common I don't even bother anymore.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My dad has had the same Hotmail account since 1999.

To this day, whenever he needs to check his emails, he still goes to Google, googles "hotmail" and clicks on the first link.