• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
MLB The Show 22 released today and it was the last Sony's first party game with a scheduled release date, from now on they don't have A SINGLE game set to release in the coming months.

Yes, we have GOW Ragnarok anticipated for a 2022 release, but they haven't committed to an official release window yet and you can't even preorder the game. The only other first party game officially announced with a generic 2023 release is Spider-Man 2, but we basically know nothing abouth the project and their plans for release.

Is this the first time this ever happened with Sony? I actually can't remember an instance where they went in a new fiscal year without a single first party game officially set to release in the coming months (or at least with a defined release window)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would imagine that we'll get a State of Play/PlayStation Showcase giving us a release date for GoW: Ragnarök in the next month or two. That said, we just got Horizon: Forbidden West back in February. We can wait a bit, especially given the circumstances brought about by the pandemic.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They literally put out three first party games in the last 2-3 months. They will be fine.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is this the first time this ever happened with Sony? I actually can't remember an instance where they went in a new fiscal year without a single first party game officially set to release in the coming months (or at least with a defined release window)
last year i believe after Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart launched we didnt have a solid date for anything for around a month until Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut got announced, and in terms of new games, we didnt have anything until Horizon got its February release date in late August.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an odd window for sure, but we're only 2 months at most from that changing with a showcase event. I reckon it's probably a better idea to hold back release date info while it's still difficult to predict.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is kind of the new normal for Sony, I think it was this way for a few months after Ratchet.

Studios are just now settling back in after facing COVID delays on projects, so itll probably be a while before Sony feels comfortable making release estimates public again

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
They are probably focusing on not announcing games until they have a solid release date for them. Also with all the shifts in their business model lately they might be making other plans around game announcements.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find this that concerning. The year has been good so far , they'll get a couple more things out in the summer and fall.

OP
OP
Poldino

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
They literally put out three first party games in the last 2-3 months. They will be fine.
Never said they wont be fine and their output until now has been incredible. I'm just saying it's strange to not have a single game officially confirmed to release in the coming months

Damn, we actually only have TWO first party games officially revealed (one for 2022, one for 2023) and that's it. If you look at other platform holders like Nintendo or Microsoft, they have A LOT of games officially announced even beyond 2023 and Sony used to do that too in the past

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah I imagine they have an event coming up. I do enjoy a bit of silence now and then honestly, there's a lot of nice games out right now

Mar 23, 2018
Games are going to take more and more time. Get used to that and to getting more remakes/remasters. Sony (sadly) is not -also- taking the approach of Microsoft, which is releasing smaller-scale titles while waiting for the larger ones to release, and I believe that's a shame.

Development time has become an industry wide problem, and with good reason (developers seem to actually have some right to rest now). We'll just have to get used to it. Frankly, I'm playing retro games now more than ever and having the time of my life with them. I suggest you all do the same.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
You eventually get periods like this when none of your studios isn't ready to show stuff. That with covid around it's not that surprising.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Ragnarok still could be a while away. I feel some development hell because it's so quiet for so long already. But yeah, overall I agree, it is pretty rough at the moment.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not too weird since 2022 has already opened with several MAJOR games. If there's nothing in the next couple months then it will be weird.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
This could be a good thing, maybe they are becoming like Bethesda and will only reveal new games 6 months from release.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
We are for sure overdue another big showcase, lots of announced stuff needing a update and almost all their studios have had multiple games in development for awhile now. That + 3rd parties is a lot.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
They're working on a lot of things behind the scenes, I imagine they want to hold off until they show their next batch of titles in the best possible light. We know in 2023 at least Spiderman 2 is happening, and that'll be a huge seller.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The funnier thing to me is we had the whole report from Jason Schreier nearly a year ago (in 4 days it'll be a year in fact) on Naughty Dog's projects and still none of them are announced.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Well, they just released a couple of big games, so it's not that concerning. And I'm sure we'll have more specific dates within the next couple of months.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Never said they wont be fine and their output until now has been incredible. I'm just saying it's strange to not have a single game officially confirmed to release in the coming months

Damn, we actually have only TWO first party games officially revealed (one for 2022, one for 2023) and that's it.
God of War: Ragnarok is confirmed for 2022. I know that you aren't counting it because it doesn't have a date, but in my opinion, it should be counted.

The Last of Us Remake and Factions are heavily rumoured to be this year.

Spider-Man 2 is 2023 and Wolverine is TBA.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah but after the banger first year I was already expecting something like this to happen, although I had hopes GOW would release this month if you asked me a few months ago

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I mean yeah. Sony doesn't have any games with a date right now. Microsoft has um...Starfield in November (probably)? Nintendo has Switch Sports and Mario Soccer (after delaying Advance Wars and BOTW 2)? Anywhere you look it's not a particularly thrilling time for hype culture but in a couple months things will surely be different.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
they haven't committed to an official release window yet

Does "2022" not count as a release window? It doesn't have a date but it has a window.

Still it is a bit odd - I feel like this happened in 2019ish though and then they put dates on TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
🤷‍♀️ Games are in the works, just a matter of when they're going to be announced. Doesn't seem that strange coming off the tail end of Horizon and GT7.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice, I'm much happier getting announcements that aren't years away from release. Hopefully this becomes the norm for Sony

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That's how they communicate now. Wolverine is the exception.
GoW is officially releasing this year, like StarField. Will they be delayed or not is another question :

Community + Social @SonySantaMonica

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
They just released HFW and GT7. I'm sure there will be some kind of show before summer game fest with some release dates.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It is fine. They released three first games this month already, not including all the updates and whtanot to their other stuff. They are just waiting to get updates and everything ready form their studios and then they will have a showcase and drop a bunch of release dates.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Convenient to make this thread after Sony have already dropped 3 of their bigger titles already this year.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This has happened before, it'll happen again.

Plus Sony always has a busy Q1/2 and then goes quiet. MS is the opposite, quiet for the first half then busy.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay and...why do we NEED to know right now? We just had 3 months of constant releases. We'll be okay not knowing what's next for a few weeks?

Nov 2, 2017
They don't want to delay a game too often so they just don't give any concrete dates until they're somewhat certain of the date. Covid makes it hard to predict when a game is going to be ready to release. Even before Covid this was hard as delays were frequent.

Edit: Wow there's a lot of insecure fanboys on here. More than half the posts in this thread are framed in a defensive way as if the OP's intent was to attack Sony when he just wants to discuss this new way of announcing games.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
im sure there will be a tweet/blogpost with GoW's release date soonish - trailer/gameplay deep dive incoming some point after that w/ pre orders etc... wouldnt expect it to be in a showcase, think GoW and FFXVI will get their own things. The only big showcase will be for PSVR2 until September imo