• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday the Captain Tsubasa trailer came out and caught many of us pleasantly by surprise. It looks like a proper realization of the original anime.

To me, it caught me because it looks like a sports game that's actually fun for a casual like me to play. Where did the NBA Jam's of the world go? How did everything dry up to Mario Strikers, Tennis and that ReVolta mode in FIFA?

Well I don't know about European and Western games, but hopefully if this game does well we can start getting a trickle of fun sports games over the next few years? Maybe something from Kuruko No Basket?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty damn thirsty for a Strikers or Mario Golf game. One of these is bound to happen eventually.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
NFL Blitz

I don't think we'll ever see one of those again with the increased focus on braindamage and player safety

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
NBA Playgrounds came out and was successful enough to be bought out by 2K for the sequel.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Arcadey sports games are pretty great when they're done well. I'm sad to see that they aren't getting made much anymore. Even Nintendo used to make way more than they have recently, and I'm not sure why.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces is a lot of fun and Rocket League is the best multiplayer game this generation.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I miss it

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Super Blood Hockey on Steam

Create and manage your team in a violent, dystopic world of no-rules, fast-paced, arcade-style, ice hockey action. Adjust training regimens, control diets, administer black market pharmaceuticals, and provide healthcare (or not) to a ragtag team of convicts at the mercy of your underhanded tactics.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same I'd love to get to play some arcade ice hockey, football, etc...

I'd also love a new outrun game... One can only dream.

OnChill

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks for linking this. NOSTALGIA HIT ME RIGHT AWAY! Day one buy. Dont care what anyone says

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I think the problem is that sports fans want their favorite teams and players to choose from and not so much a fun arcady game with fake names and teams, which is all they can get because of licensing costs.

the same hardcore have been playing fifa/madden for decades and are highly trained in their controls so they don't feel frustrated like newbies and casual sport players do.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It really is very very annoying. I think that's why I've spent so much of my gaming time this gen playing Rocket League, it's the closest thing I have.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those situations where there is a demand for certain genre but the studios say "we don't act according to demands of the public". Another genre like this is 3D platformers.

EA had always been the king of arcade/extreme sports and when they dropped it, it just died. Companies like Acclaim and Midway disappearing didn't help that at all. Even Nintendo doesn't seem to be interested going back to Wave Race or 1080.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
There 's a lot of indie arcade racers, GRIP is in the new Humble Choice I think. And in the previous one, there was Horizon Chase Turbo.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Game in OP looks so good and then I find out it's PS4 exclusive :(.

I agree though OP, there is a real lack of arcade sports games, everything is trying to be a "simulation" these days.

I really want games like SSX or Def Jam Vendetta/FFNY to make a return, these kind of pick up and play fun games that you can put down at anytime.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Wow, I hadn't seen that Captain Tsubasa trailer yet. Looks great!

Fifa Street needs to return to its glory days of 1 & 2.
the third one was bad, the 4th one felt way too much like regular Fifa, and I haven't tried Volta yet, but fuck buying a regular Fifa game just for one mode.

Oct 27, 2017
But we need more photorealistic games and open world, don't you see.

Yeah it sucks, it's either go 2D indie for the crazy stuff or suck it up and play the latest super realistic simulator. No fun allowed in the big studios anymore. Everything needs to be homogeneous for a mass market and ported to every system available so everyone can play the same boring games

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
All I want is Pro Evo to be reskinned to an original, slightly OTT game i.e. add some of that Tsubasa stuff but keep the main gameplay solid still. Not like they have that many licenses to play with anyway.

I also want Initial D and OutRun. I'm just a dreamer.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
NBA Ballers came out a few years ago and failed to do anything for me.

Bring back NBA street or make it backwards compatible and I'll play that all day.

I don't think anime soccer is the answer.
NBA street, bring it back.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Mtx-friendly player unlocks aside, NBA Playgrounds 2 is a very good game, I don't know anything about baskteball and neither did the people who played it, but everybody I've tried it with had a great time.

I'm interested in Tsubasa and will probably get it if it's good.

I have no interest whatsoever in realistic sports games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would love that. I don't like realistic sports games. I want some over the top shit like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. There was a baseball game on nes or snes that I don't recall the name of but you could upgrade your players with like super springy legs and stuff like that. I want games like that.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Super Blood Hockey on Steam

Create and manage your team in a violent, dystopic world of no-rules, fast-paced, arcade-style, ice hockey action. Adjust training regimens, control diets, administer black market pharmaceuticals, and provide healthcare (or not) to a ragtag team of convicts at the mercy of your underhanded tactics.

I came to recommend this gem. Especially the franchise mode is great fun.

But nothing is close to the original mario strikers. My favourite game on the GameCube.

Pierru

Dec 12, 2017
I used to like that Super Baseball 2020 on the Neo Geo.

Loved that future projections in the 90's where our usual sports would be played by robots.
Like Soccer Brawl (by surely the same people as 2020)

uxV3Xh9.jpg

z3DAOo3.jpg

q71THoN.jpg

bez5LlU.jpg

Or Hyper V-Ball, the synthetic version of Super Volleyball.

LRtGwg1.png

cZDVZHB.png

MYac2NS.png

(speaking for arcadey soccer, let's bring back the Super Sidekicks franchise then)

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
They still exist but they tend to fly under the radar these days.

You can blame the ungodly amount of money EA makes from stuff like FIFA and Madden for this.
Plus kids want to be able to play as whatever overly groomed, over paid gimp fronts their particular massive sports team, not some made up name from a made up team.

Which is a shame because to this day Sensible Soccer is still (For me) the best football game ever made and it's hilariously unrealistic.