12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
The 'Xbox Maverick' console will be named 'Xbox One S All-Digital Edition,' preorders in April 2019

With the release of the Xbox One S Disc-less console coming out soon and it's rumoured that Lockhart is also disc-less, it's becoming that Microsoft is aggressively transitioning to digital purchase only.

Project xCloud will support all digital Xbox One games

However XCloud relies entirely on digital purchase content to play games anywhere. So I see physical discs to become an inconvenience to the average consumer in the Xbox ecosystem. Buying discs means that you are only playing games on a console and cannot play on other devices. So at this point buying physical discs is becoming a big sacrifice to swallow for the average consumer to handle, especially since you are stuck on console hardware.

It pretty much explains why Microsoft is also going to offer a disc to digital program, since they probably know that lots of people will use the program. https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019

I think this is a good thing for consumers, that digital purchases are going to have more benefit overall, compared to now there isn't much benefit going all digital other than connivence. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft should give a good reason to go full digital and this is a good way to do that.

However I don't think discs will completely go away, however in the case of the Xbox ecosystem, you'll have to pay more for Anaconda hardware to play physical games vs the cheaper option of Lockhart while getting very little flexibility in return.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I see physical discs to become an inconvenience to the average consumer in the Xbox ecosystem
Dude, you need to slow down with these takes of yours, you went from MS dominating Asia, to Valve being the biggest loser and now this.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
A digital-only future is a question of when, not if. Digital is already so convenient I don't see any problem with this.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Nah, I know a bunch of people who like to sell their shit after finishing it or just being done with it. Games are expensive to them.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've pretty much gone fully digital this generation on both PS4 and Xbox One, much to my surprise. Mostly because getting a physical game on release and having to wait hours before it's installed and updated with the day 1 patch is just a pain in the ass

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I already dread buying games on disc this gen. Give me a discless Xbox Scarlett with a bigger hdd or a bit cheaper and i'll be happy.

Digital all the way.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
It's all about giving choices I think, the market naturally grows towards a digital future but they won't risk the (great) amount of percentage users that buy games physically.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'll stick to discs as long as I can. And then digital purchases after that. Streaming/renting games would just completely suck.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are they transitioning to digital purchases only, or are they allowing the consumer to choose so they can buy a cheaper console if they choose that will play the exact same games? Big difference.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean most people I know are fully digital including myself for the most part.

Not saying there isn't a community of people who are still disc-only but I see the community of people getting smaller and smaller as the years go.

Digital is just more convenient for me, especially within the Xbox ecosystem.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I never really thought that XCloud wouldn't work with physical. I thought since physical worked for b/c, that they would do a similar approach, but I guess that doesn't make sense if you can stream without have an Xbox.

I'm fine with this, I already favor digital to physical for most new games. And a trade-in program seems like it could be a decent bridge for consumers.

Boy, we have come a long way from the botched PSP Go launch and digital PSP game trade-in promotion.
Dude, you need to slow down with these takes of yours, you went from MS dominating Asia, to Valve being the biggest loser and now this.
I don't see what's wrong with this take though. If physical games don't work with XCloud, then it IS an inconvenience.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
All digital is the way to go, maybe they should throw a lifeline to Gamestop and have them be an official digital download location where you can take an external hard drive or your console and transfer new games for people with bad internet connections.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think this will be hard in the UK as prices for digital are usually about £10 above physical and internet is pretty unreliable.

I'm 90% physical, and intend to stay that way despite running out of space for all these games.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'll stick to discs as long as I can. And then digital purchases after that. Streaming/renting games would just completely suck.
I've mostly went digital this generation. All downloaded. It's been nice. But I'm the type to rarely play a game again from a previous generation.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I guess I never really thought that XCloud wouldn't work with physical. I thought since physical worked for b/c, that they would do a similar approach, but I guess that doesn't make sense if you can stream without have an Xbox.

I'm fine with this, I already favor digital to physical for most new games. And a trade-in program seems like it could be a decent bridge for consumers.

Boy, we have come a long way from the botched PSP Go launch and digital PSP game trade-in promotion.

I don't see what's wrong with this take though. If physical games don't work with XCloud, then it IS an inconvenience.

Unless you can find a way to install an Xbox disc into an iPhone or Android smartphone then of course it's going to be digital only.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I went entirely digital with the switch and tbh I regret it. I like the convenience of having the games with me but I hate the fact that the resale value is gone if I decide to sell.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think every company this gen and not just MS is pushing people to go digital. But with that said, you're never going to be able to make that share 100%. Since you have to account for the vast differences in internet speed/infrastructure in numerous places.

Typically, if you have slower internet and want something right away you're gonna get a disk. While if something is very cheap on sale digitally, then you're a bit more interested in grabbing that even if you have slow internet (A $5 Titanfall 2 download on shitty internet beats a $20 dollar Titanfall 2 disc at the store).

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
If you believe 99 percent of consumers want away with discs you are clueless
Fr most of the Xbox players I know who hate discs only feel that way because they basically have to download and install the game anyway which kinda defeats the point of a disc.

Digital is way more convenient but for when your internet isn't great and you just wanna play a new game a disc is a godsend

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the growth digital had this gen which is likely going to continue as faster internet becomes available 80-90% digital like it is on PC is not unlikely.

I agree digital has been gaining ground on physical but idk about the streaming box future. Maybe Sony was too early but Pstv had the ability to use Psnow app and stream and play full fledged games on it and didn't really take off. It was cheap too.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
we'll get there soon enough: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

people don't want to blockbuster and rent a tape, or own a dvd - they want streaming services and digital goods

Oh behave , physical games media isn't going anywhere for a Long time even if it eventually becomes the niche

Consumer options , upcoming nations and collectors (rich vein superfans) are several of the reasons.

Movie and music physical media is still worth hundreds of millions and in the case of movies still decides if a title is a success of not (e,g the greatest showman)

Video game sales revenue increases every year and the digital v physical drop is tiny in comparison to other industry.
More limited publishers now than ever and more physical titles per console than ever before.

The switch alone is driving a collectors renessance.

I believe digital will eventually replace "discs" at least, but not necessarily flash based media.

Sony and Nintendo offer consumer options and that's why they have been so successfull

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Discs as a media being commonly used is basically rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Most people don't use discs for music or movies anymore, a select group of gamers are basically the last gasp for them.

Dweebo

Oct 26, 2017
Here's why people are still hanging on dearly to physical discs for games: with books and music I've gone full digital. I know that in the next iOS update I'll still be able to stream my library. I know if I get a new kindle I'm confident my existing library I've bought will carry over. With games every single gen people who bought digital had to rebuy those games to play on the new console. I don't want to do that. I want promised ongoing support of backwards compatibility with digital games I own. Nintendo Online is a good step in the right direction if their next console uses that existing library. I'm still just too spooked about having libraries split up between consoles and no benefit like I get with cheaper prices buying digital.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Suits me just fine. Last 2 physical games for me were Spider-Man since it came with my PS4, and Nintendo Land since it came with my Wii U..

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They are agnostic to physical media. I think after the X1 reveal they realize that it is easier to offer consumers choice and let them decide until you hit the tipping point.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I agree digital has been gaining ground on physical but idk about the streaming box future. Maybe Sony was too early but Pstv had the ability to use Psnow app and stream and play full fledged games on it and didn't really take off. It was cheap too.
Streaming is still 5-10 years away from taking off imo.
I just don't see the general infrastructure being ready.

I'm 100 percent certain we'll see 80/20 or 90/10 digital splits next gen tho.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
TBH, I don't know if I own any disc-based Xbone games aside from Destiny 1, which I have a digital purchase for and don't play anymore, anyway.

Now, being able to trade in 360 games...