• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
They were not close to being right with their approach in 2013. Always online is not required for people to buy their games digitally.

It is required (well, it's probably the easiest and least abused method) if you want to allow those physical/"digital" discs to be traded back in, aka allowing deauthorizing/reauthorizing licenses on different users, rather than a one-time permanent license at the time of purchase.

The irony of Microsoft's plans in 2013 is that their always online requirement was only due to the fact that they were trying to awkwardly preserve "used games" and "trade ins". If they instead treated it like Steam physical discs, and just made it a one-time authorization with a useless disc afterward, they wouldn't have needed any 24hr online check.

Whether that would have been received better, I have no idea. It would still have been a drastic change from traditional console behavior (although they would be able to more logically say that Steam already set a precedent for physical discs that can't be traded in)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
we'll get there soon enough: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

people don't want to blockbuster and rent a tape, or own a dvd - they want streaming services and digital goods

This isn't a great source of information to gauge such interest because it includes digital only titles and smaller titles that are predominantly sold digitally too. In the UK the digital split on console games is still only 25%-30% on average. Fifa 19 for example, the best selling game of 2018 in the UK, sold 25% digitally despite sales promotions specifically for digital.

However, if you include other games and revenue, including microtransactions, DLC, subscriptions, Pay to Play etc, the percentage increases to 80%, hence the skewed percentages.

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they released a disc less Xbox One X instead of the S I would probably grab one and game pass. I have no interest on the S.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
My main concern with digital content is closed-platforms. What you do with your purchases is entirely out of your control. Where you buy your digital content is out of your control. The expiration date for your digital content is out of your control. It's asking for corporations to take advantage of you.

Physical content isn't really a solution anymore either. On-disk content is far from complete anymore and an online component is almost required for everything today. Physical content over very long periods of time can expire as well.

Digital is in a good place on open-platforms (although better laws would help here as well), and perhaps one day laws will change to better protect customers on others.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only digital on PC. All games on consoles are still physical. If the trend continues and forces me to go digital on consoles, then I'm done with it. I'll still play on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
I've accepted that all-digital is an inevitability, but I'll cling to physical for as long as I can. It's streaming games I'm really not a fan of. Hopefully there will be an option to run games on local hardware for a long time to come

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
I actually look forward to a digital only future. This may sound like an advertisement, but what I look forward to the most is playing any game that I purchase will have the same fidelity and experience no matter what device I play it on. Either through a web browser, a phone app, a TV app, etc. the fact that a game will play the same no matter the hardware will be pretty awesome. I know we are not there yet with steaming games, but in the future having the ability to stream my games anywhere I think it is going to be pretty great.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this Xbox shit doesn't infect Sony or Nintendo.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Honestly at this point I'm actually giving heavy consideration into learning how to solder just to replace capacitors on my vintage consoles. This old man is prepping for that antique collector life.

And ERA has far more corporate boot-lickers on it than any forum I've ever posted on in my life.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
All three of my consoles PS4 Pro, Switch and Xbox are all digital.

Convenience, not changing disks and no cases all over the place.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I want to go all digital but it's often far cheaper buying physical, at least in the case of new release games.

In Australia, you can usually buy new games at retailers for around $69, whereas to buy digitally that are often $99. So until that changes, I'll still be buying a mix of physical and digital.

Mar 4, 2019
copied from my twitter,
Watching the NFL superbowl game 2020, Halftime commerical comes up, its Halo Inifite, shows awesome level. commercial says, with Xcloud, play that level right now, just hit 'A', *only on Xcloud compatible devices* I can play that level instantly. thats next gen, thats high-tech.

thats where we are headed, its going to be great..
My nipples got hard.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a great source of information to gauge such interest because it includes digital only titles and smaller titles that are predominantly sold digitally too. In the UK the digital split on console games is still only 25%-30% on average. Fifa 19 for example, the best selling game of 2018 in the UK, sold 25% digitally despite sales promotions specifically for digital.

However, if you include other games and revenue, including microtransactions, DLC, subscriptions, Pay to Play etc, the percentage increases to 80%, hence the skewed percentages.
But isn't FIFA heavily bundled and thus also not a good example because bundles account to physical sales?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But isn't FIFA heavily bundled and thus also not a good example because bundles account to physical sales?

I don't think bundles are counted towards such physical sales data. Perhaps someone from PAL sales Era could chime in?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I actually look forward to a digital only future. This may sound like an advertisement, but what I look forward to the most is playing any game that I purchase will have the same fidelity and experience no matter what device I play it on. Either through a web browser, a phone app, a TV app, etc. the fact that a game will play the same no matter the hardware will be pretty awesome. I know we are not there yet with steaming games, but in the future having the ability to stream my games anywhere I think it is going to be pretty great.

Is that really going to happen though? A digital future doesn't mean consoles won't be required to run the games. And if you are taking it another step forward past the need for a piece of hardware for computations then I'm sorry but that sounds like a nightmare. Games performing the same on all pieces of tech means relative stagnation in graphics, presentation, AI and whatnot, at the very least compared to what could be achieved on physical hardware. I don't know what the difference is now not what it could be in 10 years, but a physical console will always outperform streaming even in the most ideal of circumstances. It's like putting a governor on games for convenience.

Not only that, but the idea of playing something like The Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Spider-Man and such on my phone or tablet sounds bad too. If it becomes ubiquitous how will game design and controls change to fit such a broad and basic device? Even if we can just use a DualShock or Xbox Controller on any device, is that really worth the concessions?

Not to mention data caps and internet speed.

Maybe I'm a Luddite. Maybe because I don't have a commute or travel a lot or have kids I don't get why sacrificing performance for convenience is such a draw. If I had an hour long commute I wouldn't want to play a lesser version of a AAA game but something more suited to mobile or handheld gaming, or just read or watch something or listen to a podcast.

In some ways I get why the idea of this all digital/streaming future is cool, but I wonder if those who are all in even consider that for that convenience they are giving up things or if they just assume they can have the all digital/streaming future and still have games with increasing complexity and size and graphics without giving up anything.

Maybe I just don't have the right perspective, I don't know. But every time I read somebody say they can't wait for the streaming future I shudder.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I am almost entirely digitial on my Xbox and have been for several years now.

Only time I get a physical copy is if it's a gift from someone or if the deal is so insanely stupid cheap.

Discs are inconvient and take up space that I do not have room for. And I don't like feeding the used game market at all.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm really excited about this and I hope it's a success. I hope for the next gen consoles we at least have to option of going for a discless version of the platforms. The existence of the disc reader is wasted on me so ideally if I don't have to pay for it, it would be great.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Genuinely curious, as I am not a PC gamer and have no interest in being one, but for all of you responsing being overly negative towards Microsoft/Xbox and not wanting to support digital futures....do you not buy PC games on Steam 100% digitially? Do you only buy your PC games physically? Is that even still possible? I never see physical PC games anymore whenever I go shopping.

Just curious what makes a digital future so awful in your books for Microsoft/Xbox when, to my knowledge, it's been that way on PC for the longest time. It's legit a curiosity to me, not a means to start an argument.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that music, movies, books and other media can all have physical and digital. But when it comes to games. OH NO! we cant have that. No choice here everyone is going all digital cause the majority says so.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think bundles are counted towards such physical sales data. Perhaps someone from PAL sales Era could chime in?
It does so at least for the UK charts, AFAIR. The UK charts didn't count digital at all in the past but bundled games were often a reason for old games suddenly climbing the charts.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I really hope this Xbox shit doesn't infect Sony or Nintendo.
It will if they have ANY sense, and are willing to contribute for the environment.

digital is better for the environment, so I'm okay with this.
This.

plastic-waste-single-use-worldwide-consumption-7.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Yeah. No more of this please.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, as much as I was initially turned off by the idea of digital only, having just bought a gaming PC a few days ago, being able to download a bunch of games I was already playing on Xbox and picking off just where I had left off, except this time I was playing at 4K with all the bells and whistles on my desktop, was a pretty fantastic thing.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
I pay $100 for 15Mbps Internet, 50+ GB games takes days to download so no thank you I will stick with physical media for the time being

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Genuinely curious, as I am not a PC gamer and have no interest in being one, but for all of you responsing being overly negative towards Microsoft/Xbox and not wanting to support digital futures....do you not buy PC games on Steam 100% digitially? Do you only buy your PC games physically? Is that even still possible? I never see physical PC games anymore whenever I go shopping.

Just curious what makes a digital future so awful in your books for Microsoft/Xbox when, to my knowledge, it's been that way on PC for the longest time. It's legit a curiosity to me, not a means to start an argument.

PC games are much cheaper than digital PS4/Xbox/Switch games in general for starters and there are more buying options. PC gaming never had a resell market either due to CD keys so that was never a factor to be taken away.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Microsofts push for digital was 5 years too early but it was always going to happen. They're PR was god awful and poorly focused but the market trend was there. I think by mid next gen physicals sales will make up less than 30% of total sales. Honestly they could probably drop discs for next gen altogether if they put burner stations in stores so you can load the game files onto a usb/sd stick then copy to your console.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
I like having physical disks. Looking at the collection feels good man :p
Plus i dont want to be stuck when my internet is iffy or the digital company (Sony, MS or anyone) has any issue or decides to revoke licence (like PT).
Finally, i like to sell some of my games.
So yeah, will keep buying physical disks.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I like single player games so disc makes sense, play it, finish it and sell it while its still fresh.

Aside from that digital all the way for sales or mp games.

I want choices.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will if they have ANY sense, and are willing to contribute for the environment.

This.

plastic-waste-single-use-worldwide-consumption-7.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Yeah. No more of this please.

So, for the average user who buys 8-12 games per generation, you say that printing 8-12 games for him will pollute more than maintaining a worlwide network of data centers 24/7/365 ? You will have to show us some studies because it sounds absurd as your accusation against physical owners. And pollution induced by production or distribution isn't the same problematic as the waste material circuit.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Physical media on consoles will be treated like the token vegetarian salad option at a steakhouse.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I've seen people mention stores having a burner station for USB flash drives, is this a joke or is this an option somewhere for something and I'm just out of the loop?

The point of digital is to not have to go to the store to buy it. I don't see stores offering to download a game to your USB stick as an option. If your internet cuts out or you hit a data cap I don't see stores serving such a niche issue. It's a drawback of digital. There are plenty of drawbacks for physical media. We should just accept the pros and cons of both and hope options continue to be available going forward.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Just in the process don't forget people or rather countries with piss poor connectivity. Give people the option and I think this is the route road they are going for and not just kill all physical.
Keep choices and options open (same way you don't give a shit about physicals same way other people think about going digital, nobody is wrong or right).