• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Ms always trying to bend all into what they think is future.
all digital will be the future and it is good for them but it's just too soon.
i believe this is to test market and reaction before next gen decision , but console with option to play disc will give more appeal .

also outside of US , it might be difficult to market. It will be much difficult and confusing if 2 nex gen xbox released with 1 is disc less and one with high spec.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Imagine buying physical disks in 2019
tenor.gif

.Xeno

Jun 9, 2018
In a lot of countries outside of the U.S, digital cost($30 -$40) more than physical. So I will never go all digital until those prices improve.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Here's why people are still hanging on dearly to physical discs for games: with books and music I've gone full digital. I know that in the next iOS update I'll still be able to stream my library. I know if I get a new kindle I'm confident my existing library I've bought will carry over. With games every single gen people who bought digital had to rebuy those games to play on the new console. I don't want to do that. I want promised ongoing support of backwards compatibility with digital games I own. Nintendo Online is a good step in the right direction if their next console uses that existing library. I'm still just too spooked about having libraries split up between consoles and no benefit like I get with cheaper prices buying digital.
Sounds like PC gaming to me. ;)

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll go ahead and stop buying physical when publishers stop delisting games from storefronts without ample warning (and even with, in most cases you can't delist a disc). On top of that is the price point, where tons of games sit for ages, or at least unnaturally long stretches, at MSRP while physical copies' price fluctuate relative to the product's supply and demand.

I still can't buy an HD copy of OutRun 2/SP/2006/etc. or After Burner Climax because the PS3/360 ports got delisted. The risk of such things is ever-present, especially for modern digital-only releases, and extending that risk to all game releases (at a hypothetical point where hardware makers no longer support physical) is a horrible idea.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, don't like the idea.
I like to borrow games from Friends/Relos what this will do is prevent me from having that option

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inconvenient seems like a stretch. You won't be able to use some potential features that really don't make sense for you to be able to use anyway. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Now if they go back to blocking the resale or rental of discs, ok.

Why would a physical copy grant you access on multiple devices? I share my account with one of my brothers. Any digital content we buy is accessible for both. We don't expect to be able to share physical discs, doesn't make sense. Same with multiple devices. If their streaming stuff takes off I'd expect digital content to work but why physical?

edit, by "share physical disc", I mean like I have Shadow of War installed on my Xbox from a disc. He can't play it on his Xbox without that disc. Of course I could just give him the disc.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There are a good portion of Xbox (and PlayStation) gamers who buy digital only. Who never once test out to see if the drive even works. I've owned all 3 versions of Xbox and the only time ever used then disc drive was for the kids to watch Elf at Christmas multiple years...but this year we went digital there when we couldn't find the disc.

All for options. Key word options. Just because some people have an option, doesn't mean others are having theirs taken away. Disc drives are an inconvenience...as is hardware...as will updating cloud servers. They are necessary inconveniences to meet customer demands. Nothing changed here but the options.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
You 100% own your digital purchases though.
No you don't. If Microsoft closes your account for any reason you will lose your digital purchases on that account.

If you have the game downloaded on your system then you can keep playing those digital games on your new account. Once you delete the game though there is no way of downloading the games that were on the account that got closed. So no you do not 100% own your digital purchases.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, I'll buy the occasional physical copy only when it's cheap (like I did with a new copy of Mario Odyssey for $40 - doubt the digital will ever go that low), but yeah, otherwise, I'm all digital, especially since all the PS4 games just dump all the info onto the hard-drive anyways, so it's not like I'm saving any hard-drive space because the console is reading info off a disc like they used to do.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I went pc only during the middle of ps360 gen and as soon as I stepped back into this current gen with a x1, this became immediately clear to me as well. Discs are a nuisance. Digital only is nothing new to me as it's been that way me for on pc since the early 2000s. It's only a matter of time for consoles.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A child in anime =/= Loli. But idk what anime that is from

But of a million and one different laughing GIF's you could have chosen, you still decided to pick that one lol. Which is sort of ironic given its intended usage.

Did a quick Google search of laughing GIF's and couldn't even find it.

Anyway....moving on....

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Your ability to access a digital purchase on any platform can be revoked at the discretion of the platform holder for any reason they deem fit. You also cannot transfer or sell ownership of digitally owned media on most platforms. That is not 100% ownership.

Valve has mostly been great about putting forth needed consumer protections but they are by and far an exception and they still have the right to revoke access to your purchases they just for the most part don't.
Not really, because when a game get delisted by a publisher, you cannot redownload the game if you uninstalled it from your system as far as I know. It also removes the possiblity for new potential customers to buy it too. As for physical copies, you can always to go to a pawnshop or online to find and buy them.
Yes, it's inconvenient to have to put a disc in. But the tradeoff is being able to resell my retail single-player games when I'm finished with them. For as long as I have that option, I won't give it up.

And if I'm going to play on Xbox, I'm going to be playing in front of my TV in my living room. I mostly play action-packed games, so I don't want to stream them from my phone, etc. Being "stuck" on console hardware is fine by me.

You own only a digital license, which grants you access to your purchases until the entity who sold them to you shuts down their network. Then, you have nothing. When buying digital items on Xbox Live and PSN, we are often operating under the assumption that they are going to be around indefinitely. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. When you buy a license, you agree to take that risk.

That is generally untrue. Most titles delisted from XBL and PSN can still be re-downloaded if you previously purchased them. The exceptions can fit on one letter-sized sheet of paper.
No you don't. If Microsoft closes your account for any reason you will lose your digital purchases on that account.

If you have the game downloaded on your system then you can keep playing those digital games on your new account. Once you delete the game though there is no way of downloading the games that were on the account that got closed. So no you do not 100% own your digital purchases.

I don't think I was sarcastic enough in my post. My apologies, I will try harder next time.

I do love my PSN sales though, thank God for those cheap deals!

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
But of a million and one different laughing GIF's you could have chosen, you still decided to pick that one lol. Which is sort of ironic given its intended usage.

Did a quick Google search of laughing GIF's and couldn't even find it.

Anyway....moving on....
Did you do anime laughing gif? Its literally the first option. Its ok that you keep getting ripped off by gamestop buying physical games

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You 100% own your digital purchases though.

Your ability to access a digital purchase on any platform can be revoked at the discretion of the platform holder for any reason they deem fit. That is not "100% ownership". You also cannot transfer or sell ownership of digitally owned content on most platforms.

That is not 100% ownership
I don't think I was sarcastic enough in my post. My apologies, I will try harder next time.

I do love my PSN sales though, thank God for those cheap deals!

Ahh sorry my bad

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I mean. There's CDKeys, Amazon and other online stores which sell digital codes for games. Often you'll find deals there to sooooo
On PC, yes. On consoles, CDKeys often will not get you a better deal than just downloading the game from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo. Amazon only mirrors the price of the game on the console store. Places like CDKeys run off of people buying bundles that come with codes for games they don't want, but there's no digital substitute for the used market. Once you've purchased a game, you're stuck with it whether you enjoy the game or not. There's no way to recoup any costs and there's no way to pass that game along to someone who may enjoy it more.
I think of it this way, a lot of people like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I didn't care for it. I sold it because I wasn't going to play it, and that way the next person has a chance to play it at a reduced cost, and I'm able to get money back for something I do want to play. With digital, that simply isn't possible.
I am a collector, but I'm also not blind. I see that digital is going to be the future at some point. What I hope for is a way to make digital games as flexible as physical games with ways to transfer ownership and multiple marketplaces to purchase from so that prices can still stay low for consumers. This is an expensive hobby, and I know that if I wasn't able to buy used games or sell my games, I would unfortunately probably end up buying less games and trying less new genres because I would be afraid to purchase a game knowing I can't sell it if I don't like it.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
No discs = no buy from me.
I will not purchase a console that doesn't support physical media when digital is so clearly inferior from a consumer rights standpoint. There's no competition in a digital marketplace controlled solely by one party.

I can usually find digital store currency cards for 15 - 20% off several times a year and buy them with my rewards card. I load up then, and wait for sales. That has made a huge difference for me, especially when physical games are not seeing as dramatic of sales these days with the end of Best Buy's gamer club.

Capt_Shanu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the sensible chuckle. Nope.

When network speeds are consistently high, and available across the country then let's try this talk again.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Isn't the crux of it basically that most of the time when users have been able to carry content across generations it's been on physical rather than digital?

Digital console purchases have mostly in the past not carried over by comparison

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you do anime laughing gif? Its literally the first option. Its ok that you keep getting ripped off by gamestop buying physical games

Not only are physical games by in large cheaper than digital, but you can lend, borrow, trade and sell them too.

As a recent example, I bought a physical copy of Kingdom Hearts 3 for £36 and traded it in (inc free postage return) at CEX two weeks later for £36 (they transferred the money direct to my account). So ultimately I paid a grand total of nothing for it, and used the money to buy another game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously the percentage that poster pulled is exaggeration, but I don't think it's unfair to state that there is a disconnect between the relative unpopularity of digital in the Era community and the actual rates of digital adoption in the market
What unpopularity? People not wanting a discless console doesn't mean they are against digital, just don't want it to be the only option for multiple reasons. There's a fuck load of threads on digital game sales and pretty much every game sale milestone will have someone saying something along the lines of "is digital included" for example.

Oct 25, 2017
This has been their vision since the beginning of the generation, and explains why they never properly and explicitly disowned all their draconian stances after the backlash.