• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty wild. Nintendo made a platform with a really cool core concept, cultivated one of the absolute best libraries for it so far, yet keeps dragging it down with some of the worst features.

My cousin and I were texting while playing Animal Crossing, and he flat out asked "how do you voice chat with Switch?". I had to explain to him that it's not native to the device and that you have to get a separate dumb app. I realize that we were already on our phones when we're texting, but we were only doing this because VC is glaringly absent on Switch itself. I dunno if this is all cause of a DeNA deal, some higher-up being out of touch or what, but their "solution" to VC here is dumb, awkward and unappealing. Maybe they've updated and patched the app so that it's not the mess it was when it first launched. That's still a moot point because locking VC behind an external phone app is an absolute non-starter. The must-play games on Switch are great with or without VC, but it's a massive shame that they're unnecessarily held back when they could be an even better gaming experience had VC been offered in a sensible manner. Here we have Animal Crossing Wii offering something that New Horizons can't.

I know Nintendo marches to the beat of its own drum, and I usually love that about them. But this is one instance where I wish they'd just follow the industry standard.

That aside, when I bought this hybrid in 2017, I never thought that it'd be 2020 and I'd still be waiting for basic stuff like themes, (including rotating themes), folders, messaging features on friends' profiles, eShop music, Netflix, an actually competent activity log that doesn't report with arbitrary and vague estimations, etc.

I'm just hoping enough players make enough noise so that Nintendo listens sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
One thing I want is the ability to send a screenshot to a friend. My friend came to my Animal Crossing island the other day and we posed for a photo. And then I couldn't send it to him. Odd.

If you're worried about horribleness use the ratings system to mean you can only post images from G rated games with no words added.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
To think that all of this worked perfectly well on the older Wii U (whose online also happened to be free...)

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's been 3 years and most of their online implementations still give too many connection errors, have no reconnect feature, have incredible amounts of lag, you can't invite other people to play, etc etc.

That's not going to change though, not on Switch. Hopefully for their next system.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Do the majority of Switch owners even care about this? It seems like they don't given the way Nintendo's multiplayer games are selling.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
yet Switch keeps selling. Can you say for certain, whether it's a "despite of" or a "(partially) because of" problem?

ABJAMON

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I think they won't, as long as the system is selling as it is, i dont see a reason for them to add such things.

Honestly, I think the system is barebones by design... to save energy, resources among other things.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
it's disappointing that they haven't really added or changed anything about the system UI, but there is no "fixing" voice chat when it's not something they consider broken. things like "eShop music" aren't meaningful either and expecting that in an update is weird. having better tile sorting would be great though.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adding folders wouldn't suddenly bloat the OS, plus voice chat is in some games without the stupid app, so it's not impossible.

just because they're selling well doesn't mean they shouldn't improve the os. Sony was leading by quite a margin but they still added features to the PS4.

DeniroSerafim

Apr 5, 2018
Do the majority of Switch owners even care about this? It seems like they don't given the way Nintendo's multiplayer games are selling.
Pretty much everyone I know personally that owns a Switch wants more features on the Switch itself, just because people continue to buy their games doesn't mean they don't have any criticism of them. That being said, I'm sure there are people who genuinely don't care. Either way, it doesn't mean Nintendo should be ignoring their fans when they bring up ways to improve the experience.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Voice chat won't be "fixed" because they don't see it as something that is broken in any way, it is working as intended. Yes, it is working in a very complicated, limited and annoying way, but that's how they wanted it to work, for better or for worse.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
There's only a handful things I can think of at the moment that annoy me: no Bluetooth for headphones, no headphone jack in the pro controller, no native voice chat and learning that your activity log doesn't transfer to a new system/how it intentionally waits 10 days to show playtime and even then only tracks in certain intervals.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo does not give a shit. The Switch is selling extremely well and Nintendo is not going to do more than the absolute bare minimum they can get away with.
Be it games, features, pricing etc.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter that much but the fact that there is still only a light and dark theme with no other options is wild. The whole UI is nice in its simplicity but it definitely still feels like it's for a system that just came out, not one that's been around for a while.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
It's literally easier to start a party with my friends on PS4 and use that to communicate while we play games on Switch. It's so god damn stupid.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Nintendo. Just use discord or something on your phone while you play. It's frustrating, but far from a debilitating problem

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Nintendo said let voice chat die and I'm with that. It's there if you need it and if you need it its not that complicated. Sales say general public dont give a poop.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I'd find people defending basic online console features missing from the switch.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I wish the Nintendo Switch App didn't exist. I only fire it up so I can use the keyboard in Animal Crossing and it'd be easier if NookPhone was just an apple on my phone. It also keeps asking me if I want to join Voice Chat which I never do because if I want to play and talk with someone I'll probably use Discord. Either it needs to be built into the game or they need to cut this app stuff out =/

Though I gotta say, Discord on your phone with AirPod Pros in Transparency mode works really well.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People criticizing the app's existence is probably part of the problem. The reason why it exists are clear (Swapnote fiasco) and Nintendo is not going to back down on that when the alternative is bad press.

The problem isn't that the app exists, the problem is that it's terrible. My buddy and I would use it and it would always crash on us mid match, every single time. It got to the point where we decided to just use the phone to communicate.

No point in telling Nintendo to forgo the app, they'll just ignore the feedback. Tell them instead to make it do what it's supposed to do properly.

Feb 1, 2018
Lack of Voice chat and support for BT headsets is really baffling.

Also not a software issue but it sucks that the USB-C port isn't actually compliant with USB-C protocols

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Pretty much everyone I know personally that owns a Switch wants more features on the Switch itself, just because people continue to buy their games doesn't mean they don't have any criticism of them. That being said, I'm sure there are people who genuinely don't care. Either way, it doesn't mean Nintendo should be ignoring their fans when they bring up ways to improve the experience.
Oh I'm sure they do but if consumers aren't speaking with their wallets then I don't expect progress to be made. Not with Nintendo.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is incredibly shitty in many ways.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the things you describe as problems are probably functioning as designed as far as Nintendo is concerned.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Worse is that once you go through all the pain of setting voice chat on the app, if you switch to another application on your phone, you lose the game audio!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo got spooked hard by the Pictochat situation where some nutcase scum predator was trying to contact kids I think.

So they're very cautious with this stuff as a result, especially liability issues. They probably figure the smartphone app is a way that the child has to use their parents phone and their parents then can notice who they are chatting with or take note of what's happening.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its "working" like its supposed to.
Anyone serious about communicating has been using Discord and co. anyway.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the texting feature of the smartphone app when playing with a group on animal crossing and enjoyed it, and we thought - ok this is good but it's a bit slow. Let's give this voice chat a fair shake.

The quality was terrible. We gave up quickly and organized something with Skype.

Early on with all the backlash I assumed fixing it was inevitable. I mean with the Wii U Nintendo was constantly fixing and improving aspects of the OS - adding more features as well as making it snappier. Here we are tho, 3 years+ in and not a peep. My only hope is that a 2/Pro/whatever happens to have it as an added feature.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are bringing up the whole 3DS pedo-sexual assault thing. I can see how that could have been what caused Nintendo to be so draconian now with online communication, but they haven't even consistently stuck to that stance.

They brought Swapdoodle after killing Swapnote.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No one rewards them for lacking communication features.
The people that deeply care about this dont play Nintendo systems.
People reward them by buying the system for what it is. Voice chat is just one missing feature out of many others that people have been asking for.

If I were Nintendo I'd do the same. Why listen to the complaints and put additional efforts if the current strategy is doing great already? It's a video game system first and foremost, and people buy into that positioning. There's nothing wrong with that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People reward them by buying the system for what it is. Voice chat is just one missing feature out of many others that people have been asking for.

If I were Nintendo I'd do the same. Why listen to the complaints and put additional efforts if the current strategy is doing great already? It's a video game system first and foremost, and people buy into that positioning. There's nothing wrong with that.
That argumentation seems weird to me.
If i didnt care about japanese niche games and bought a Xbox One early on - i "rewarded" Microsoft for not having these games on the plattform ? No, i just dont care them and bought the system for it other qualities.

The fact is many people dont really care about this kind of communication when it comes to their gaming habits, in fact most people dont want to even interact via voice chat with randoms. If its a must have feature for a person they are gonna use 3rdParty solutions like Discord or dont bother with the systems at all.

Hardcore players mostly interact in bubbles where they think that every feature that is important to them is as important to the broader audience (which Nintendo caters to for the most part) - thats rarely the case. Thats why we have "gamers" call something like Animal Crossing that sold millions "niche" even up to the New Horizon release.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That argumentation seems weird to me.
If i didnt care about japanese niche games and bought a Xbox One early on - i "rewarded" Microsoft for not having these games on the plattform ? No, i just dont care them and bought the system for it other qualities.

The fact is many people dont really care about this kind of communication when it comes to their gaming habits, in fact most people dont want to even interact via voice chat with randoms. If its a must have feature for a person they are gonna use 3rdParty solutions like Discord or dont bother with the systems at all.
You can't compare games with system features.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if younger people even think about this as an "issue"? They're always on their phones and the entire thing of going into online games and voice chatting with randoms has almost disappeared in my experience (I'm sure it hasn't, but it definitely isn't like the old days) since everyone will be in a party, not voice chatting at all or using a 3rd party solution I guess.

Personally I've never had much problem with voice chat not being native on the switch. If I'm visiting my sister's town in AC it's easy enough to start up the app and it automatically drops us in/out of voice chat. When I've played longer sessions with someone we've just called eachother. I don't want to defend it as such, but tbh a simple phone call works perfectly for me, whereas for example the XB1 native voice chat has been riddled with bugs, glitches and other problems since day 1 and still continues to be.