• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
i remember playing this in the basement around midnight with all the lights off and "noped" the fuck outta there the first time i got jumped by Lisa.

then i remember playing it with a friend and never getting jumped by Lisa the whole playthrough, being confused to how that could happen.

i continued to play through it with anyone who would humor me, always amazed how every playthrough had a unique flow and different events happen. loooong before we were able to decode the little poem pieces you get when you collect the photos and before we were able to consistently solve the final puzzle, it was such a beautiful mystery box of truly never knowing what was around that one corner, never knowing what would happen the next time we went through the door.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
8 years. Wow. Remember seeing the trailer at E3 (?) then downloading and it being...fine. The uncovering stuff was neat, even if I just watched the trailer on Youtube rather than bothering with doing it.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Our dad was so boring.

No horror game released since has touched it IMO, and its influence (for a tech demo for christ's sake) was HUGE.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
There should be a "top 10 moments" for ps4 Era where this is one of the events that was crazy when it came out.

Just the fact some were hooking up a mic to speak and say a phrase or word to get one of the clues was wild lol. I've never seen that anywhere else.

BTW I did it and it worked. Definitely a one of a kind experience.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
2̷̡̫̝͓̒͂̐̚͘ ̷͖̃͂0̴̰̫͓̽͒̈́̇̽ ̴̩̺̗̙̱̉4̷̼̜͙̣̙̎̒̏͝͝ ̴̤̣̳͆̈́̅̚̚8̸̙̞̏̉͠ ̸͚̯͙̱̆͑̐͐͠6̴̦̟̙̤̝̐̿ ̷͇̮͉̾3̴̙̹̈́̑́̋

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I would still kill for a first person Silent Hill with the non-linear design of much of 2.

Like a game of all time if done correctly.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Sony hasn't just straight up bought the rights to the PT demo from Konami. Remove the SH trailer at the end and give it away free. Let Kojima finish it as a short first person horror game, but idk I guess it's more complicated than that

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 isn't compatible with PS4 demos and other free games like these (see TLG VR Experience) so it's not gonna happen.

Saying that... jfc 8 years is a lot... still have it on my PS4 Pro, has survived the PS4 to Pro passage and multiple HDD changes <3
I still have the old Driveclub demo installed on my PS5 right now. They specifically blacklisted P.T. from being redownloaded.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I still don't quite understand what made it so special and noteworthy outside of it having Kojima's name on it and it being tangentially related to Silent Hill.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nothing will ever be as petty in this entire industry as Konami completely nuking P.T. from existence.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Do you believe we will ever see SH again
Obviously.

I don't even know how this is still a question, honestly.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT30| Every day we Stray closer to Ragnarök Sony - OT

Well, we know that Masahiro Ito has been working on a horror game with cherry blossom trees for the last few years. The leaked concept art was also seemingly DMCA'd by Konami.

www.resetera.com

New Silent Hill game details leaked (Dusk Golem) [DMCA’d by Konami] Rumor

Masahiro Ito confirming his 2020 game is still in development + leaked screenshots from that game getting DMCA'd by Konami + Christophe Gans' own statement are legitimately the smoking guns. I fully believe the people still doubting "the rumours" are the ones twisting themselves into pretzels at...

www.resetera.com

Christophe Gans (director of the first Silent Hill movie) confirms that Konami is working on several Silent Hill games and projects

I debated if I should be the one to make this thread or not, but it is new news. Christophe Gans, the director of the 2006 Silent Hill movie (had no involvement with the 2012 Silent Hill Revelations 3D) sat down for a 50 minute video interview with JEUXACTU (French website) because his movie...

www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania and Silent Hill | VGC

The Japanese publisher will reveal major projects after a period of relative quiet…

www.gamesindustry.biz

Bloober Team adding action to its psychological horror focus

Bloober Team CEO Piotr Babieno can identify two turning points in the Polish developer's history.As he explains to Game…

www.ign.com

Silent Hill 2 Remake Rumors: Bloober Team CEO Refuses to Comment, But Says New Project 'Will Still Be a Bloober Team Title' - IGN

Bloober Team's CEO says he can't comment on rumors of a Silent Hill 2 remake, but hopes to make an announcement about the company's future projects "as soon as we can". He added that its unannounced project will "still be a Bloober Team title", even if it's made in partnership with another company.

Announcement of Business Alliance with Bloober Team S.A. | Konami Digital Entertainment

Announcement of Business Alliance with Bloober Team S.A.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't quite understand what made it so special and noteworthy outside of it having Kojima's name on it and it being tangentially related to Silent Hill.
1. Nobody knew what it was at first or how to solve the final puzzle

2. It was the long awaited return of a well-loved franchise, and a unique take on it at that

3. Big names were attached

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2022
Obviously.

I don't even know how this is still a question, honestly.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT30| Every day we Stray closer to Ragnarök Sony - OT

Well, we know that Masahiro Ito has been working on a horror game with cherry blossom trees for the last few years. The leaked concept art was also seemingly DMCA'd by Konami.

www.resetera.com

New Silent Hill game details leaked (Dusk Golem) [DMCA’d by Konami] Rumor

Masahiro Ito confirming his 2020 game is still in development + leaked screenshots from that game getting DMCA'd by Konami + Christophe Gans' own statement are legitimately the smoking guns. I fully believe the people still doubting "the rumours" are the ones twisting themselves into pretzels at...

www.resetera.com

Christophe Gans (director of the first Silent Hill movie) confirms that Konami is working on several Silent Hill games and projects

I debated if I should be the one to make this thread or not, but it is new news. Christophe Gans, the director of the 2006 Silent Hill movie (had no involvement with the 2012 Silent Hill Revelations 3D) sat down for a 50 minute video interview with JEUXACTU (French website) because his movie...

www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania and Silent Hill | VGC

The Japanese publisher will reveal major projects after a period of relative quiet…

www.gamesindustry.biz

Bloober Team adding action to its psychological horror focus

Bloober Team CEO Piotr Babieno can identify two turning points in the Polish developer's history.As he explains to Game…

www.ign.com

Silent Hill 2 Remake Rumors: Bloober Team CEO Refuses to Comment, But Says New Project 'Will Still Be a Bloober Team Title' - IGN

Bloober Team's CEO says he can't comment on rumors of a Silent Hill 2 remake, but hopes to make an announcement about the company's future projects "as soon as we can". He added that its unannounced project will "still be a Bloober Team title", even if it's made in partnership with another company.

Announcement of Business Alliance with Bloober Team S.A. | Konami Digital Entertainment

Announcement of Business Alliance with Bloober Team S.A.

I know, but i still will have to see it to believe.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
let-it-go-indiana-jones.gif

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
1. Nobody knew what it was at first or how to solve the final puzzle

2. It was the long awaited return of a well-loved franchise, and a unique take on it at that

3. Big names were attached
It was also a very well done bite-sized cryptic horror experience in its own right.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Scarcity, pretty much. Tell people that they can't have something and often it makes them want it even more. Chances are high it wouldn't have been anything revolutionary, but the fact that we'll never know for sure has people believing we were robbed of a masterpiece.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the video of, I believe, the first person to publicly finish and discover what it was

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I remember I created my first PlayStation account just to "buy" it. I didn't even had a PS console. I still use it as my main account.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida

There was nothing like it at the time.
* Ultra-realistic graphics/sound in a horror game (teaser).
* Extremely intimately close and highly "grounded" setting. Just a hallway and a bathroom.
* Unnerving & untrustworthy surroundings.

With regards to the zeitgeist at the time:
* Major secretive and super obscure treasure hunt. Sony just drops this high-quality teaser on PSN with a small mention in Gamescom (?), from an unknown dev team.
* After days (hours?) of a major community effort to "beat" the game people finally get the ending and blows everyone away when the secret is revealed: new Silent Hill game, Kojima Productions, Guillermo Del Toro, Junji Ito, Norman Reedus. 🤯

The only big downside is actually getting the ending is an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Jareth. Jareth. Jaaareth. Jareth? Jareth. Jay-reth. JAreth. JaRETH. Jareth. ... ... ... Jareth. Jareth. JAHRETH! JARETH! ... jarethjarethjarethjarethjareth. Jareth? jareth ... Jareth. Jareth. Jareth.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
There was nothing like it at the time.
* Ultra-realistic graphics/sound in a horror game (teaser).
* Extremely intimately close and highly "grounded" setting. Just a hallway and a bathroom.
* Unnerving & untrustworthy surroundings.

With regards to the zeitgeist at the time:
* Major secretive and super obscure treasure hunt. Sony just drops this high-quality teaser on PSN with a small mention in Gamescom (?), from an unknown dev team.
* After days (hours?) of a major community effort to "beat" the game people finally get the ending and blows everyone away when the secret is revealed: new Silent Hill game, Kojima Productions, Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus. 🤯

The only big downside is actually getting the ending is an exercise in frustration.
I just think if Kojima wasn't involved, nobody would give a shit. And I'm honestly not thrilled about the master of subtlety making a Silent Hill game.

Understand del Toro's frustration, but PT and Silent Hills getting canned is really on both Konami and Kojima. As was the MGSV fiasco.