• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've waited all 2019 to make this thread because it was such a hot topic that caused actual hurt to people I know. My suspicions came to light and the apocalypse didn't come. Many of the exclusive games will be coming to Steam this year, and if they don't, you can just use the EGS launcher to play these games if you choose to.

It was such a hot topic and to me right now it seems to have been hot for no reason at all. It's all ironic and silly, I actually think EGS would have died if nobody gave a fuck about it like I did for most of the year.

Some people have even gone as far as using racism and bigotry in the name of what was basically a silly platform war that ended in nothing. We even had a mod harassed out of their position.

We (as people who play games) can do better next time something like this comes around is my point and the whole point of this thread.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh yeah...what did you think was going to happen? Same song and dance for uplay, origin, bnet, winstore, and whatever else will come out in the future.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Shocking, people will go where the games are. I wonder how large the share of EGS purchases is for games that launch simultaneously on EGS and Steam or whatever other platform.

Oct 25, 2017
What mod was harassed? And why?

I think EGS deserves a fair share of criticism but some of the reactions to it were really embarrassing.

Oct 27, 2017
From the outside looking in, the whole thing has been incredibly bizarre. And the hostility and toxicity of so many people was (and I guess still is) kind of over the top.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Let's not pretend that you aren't attempting to shame people for standing up for themselves and demanding better from our corporate overlords. Pointing to shitheads who preyed upon and attacked innocent people as a smoke screen to hide the legitimate concerns and gripes that many others had with the store is silly at best and dishonest at worst. If we hadn't stood up and demanded better many of the worst elements of the EGS might not have changed for the better. You're dredging this up now, using the suffering of people who were attacked during that ugly period of time, as a cudgel to bash people whose opinions you dislike. You're a self-proclaimed fan of a multi-storefront future, including paid exclusives. And now you're here to gloat, stirring up bad feelings all over again.

This is thread just exists to make people fight with each other, and to very vaguely insinuate that anyone who dislikes the EGS is partially intangibly connected to the racists and harassers. Big thumbs down from me.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well things did happen. For example Hades (first Epic Store exclusive) sold more in 1 month on Stram than in 1 year on Epic Store, THQ Nordic avoided talking about Metro sales so that could mean less sales that they anticipated, many indie games released on Epic Store even with less competition on the store just came and went without any talk, we got Rune 2 where devs took the money and abandoned game after release, majority of the Store revenue was from Borderlands 3...

So it's not like Store helped either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not pretend that you aren't attempting to shame people for standing up for themselves and demanding better from our corporate overlords. Pointing to shitheads who preyed upon and attacked innocent people as a smoke screen to hide the legitimate concerns and gripes that many others had with the store is silly at best and dishonest at worst. If we hadn't stood up and demanded better many of the worst elements of the EGS might not have changed for the better. You're dredging this up now, using the suffering of people who were attacked during that ugly period of time, as a cudgel to bash people whose opinions you dislike. You're a self-proclaimed fan of a multi-storefront future, including paid exclusives. And now you're here to gloat, stirring up bad feelings all over again.

This is thread just exists to make people fight with each other, and to very vaguely insinuate that anyone who dislikes the EGS is partially intangibly connected to the racists and harassers. Big thumbs down from me.

We had real humans threatening the life of another human being over this garbage.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Shocking, people will go where the games are. I wonder how large the share of EGS purchases is for games that launch simultaneously on EGS and Steam or whatever other platform.

For example Hades apparently sold more copies on Steam in a month than on Wpic Store in a year. And it was released 12 months later on Steam.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well things did happen. For example Hades (first Epic Store exclusive) sold more in 1 month on Stram than in 1 year on Epic Store, THQ Nordic avoided talking about Metro sales so that could mean less sales that they anticipated, many indie games released on Epic Store even with less competition on the store just came and went without any talk, we got Rune 2 where devs took the money and abandoned game after release, majority of the Store revenue was from Borderlands 3...

So it's not like Store helped either.

And that is all fine, Steam is much better and costumer have chosen the better launcher.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissing harassment
We had real humans threatening the life of another human being over this garbage.

People do that over everything. But congratulations. You're using their suffering as a club to beat down your fellow forum members. Way to help the cycle of hatred.

May 18, 2018
I mean, it's only been a year. I don't care personally since I won't be spending any money on that store but it won't stop me from calling it trash if I want to. I would love some numbers to back up "nothing happened".
I actually think EGS would have died if nobody gave a fuck about it like I did for most of the year.
This is kinda funny considering you made this thread out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017

If people who were "standing up for themselves and demanding better from our corporate overlords" applied the same logic they had against EGS to the industry as a whole, they'd stop buying most video games.

And describing price differences and lack of cloud saves or a shopping cart as suffering... why.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

speaking of dishonest this post is pretty dishonest in how it twists the actual content of the OP.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
I've waited all 2019 to make this thread because it was such a hot topic that caused actual hurt to people I know. My suspicions came to light and the apocalypse didn't come. Many of the exclusive games will be coming to Steam this year, and if they don't, you can just use the EGS launcher to play these games if you choose to.

It was such a hot topic and to me right now it seems to have been hot for no reason at all. It's all ironic and silly, I actually think EGS would have died if nobody gave a fuck about it like I did for most of the year.

Some people have even gone as far as using racism and bigotry in the name of what was basically a silly platform war that ended in nothing. We even had a mod harassed out of their position.

We (as people who play games) can do better next time something like this comes around is my point and the whole point of this thread.
Games that were announced and had pre-orders on steam and then completely backflipped and went exclusive to EGS, People are allowed to act out about anti consumer stuff, Why are you downplaying it lmao.

What's the point of this thread?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I think the EGS debate was as hot as it was thanks to buying exclusives at the last second and being a bare store that presented few benefits over Steam other than a higher cut right away.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Is this thread basically just, "Don't harass people over internet arguments"? Because if so, then yeah, I agree. No one should do that. It certainly isn't something that is unique to discourse of this particular issue, though. It also won't stop me from continuing to talk about it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Well I certainly missed out on a few games, but yes I still have other games to play.

The games I missed out on include:

Shenmue 3 (Refunded kickstarter)
Untitled Goose Game
World War Z
Control
Quantic Dream games

It's saddening really, but I look forward to getting some of these when they come to Steam.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think that OP is trying to stir up shit and make people feel bad?
I don't. I think the OP is calling for some self-reflection in how people reacted to all EGS-centered news, something very important that has not happened in 25 months of its existence, but that has had some serious real life ramifications for members and mods alike on this forum.
If reading that makes you feel bad then that's not on the OP.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
And that is totally fine, and we're all fine.
Uh yeah, obviously nobody died... I would be happier as a consumer though if I could buy certain games on my platform of choice. That is what epic's actions are, anti-consumer. Still unhappy with the situation. Still haven't bought and won't buy any games on EGS.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the EGS debate was as hot as it was thanks to buying exclusives at the last second and being a bare store that presented few benefits over Steam.

And now most of those are coming out on Steam and doing much better.

Only the people that were even remotely seen as supporting EGS got hurt.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still play games, only later than before. Saying nothing have change is not true.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who were anti-EGS never claimed otherwise did they? They did however call out Epic's shady business and consumer practices.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There have been winners and losers on the EGS.
Did any publisher follow through without a load of cash? Nah.
Did the EGS meet great success? Nah. Not at all looking at those numbers.

It certainly did reinforce the competition; from Microsoft and their Gamepass offer to Rockstar and RDR2. Ubisoft might have made a bad choice though, leaving Steam right when their games had their worst year in a long time.

Also that trickle down bullshit worked real well in 2019, with $10 off on Metro Exodus in the US... and literally not a single other example. Players really gained a lot.
And don't tell me that free games and coupons 100% funded by Epic have anything to do with the famous 30% tax.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
And that is all fine, Steam is much better and costumer have chosen the better launcher.

Yes, some people are giant a..holes that don't know how to argue or make a point.

Also yes, concerns over epic's money-hat spree are as legit and grounded as any controversy we have in gaming today, blind boxes, crunch, china etc...

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh yeah, obviously nobody died... I would be happier as a consumer though if I could buy certain games on my platform of choice. That is what epic's actions are, anti-consumer. Still unhappy with the situation. Still haven't bought and won't buy any games on EGS.
I think the whole point is that this isn't something worth being unhappy over. If you're set on not buying it that's fine, but move on and give yourself some peace.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Well... something happened. I didn't buy a couple of games I really wanted to buy last year. I'm going to have to wait another 6 months to play Control, so thats a bummer.

It would be nice if I could buy the PC games I want on the store I want to buy them from.

May 10, 2019
Nothing really happened for most of those games' PC sales figures either.

Honestly without digital wallets and prepaid EGS cards showing up next to Xbox and Steam cards in stores, I see this continuing to be the case, in regards to awareness/apprehension of throwing around credit card information extraneously on the internet.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
There have been winners and losers on the EGS.
Did any publisher follow through without a load of cash? Nah.
Did the EGS meet great success? Nah. Not at all looking at those numbers.

It certainly did reinforce the competition; from Microsoft and their Gamepass offer to Rockstar and RDR2. Ubisoft might have made a bad choice though, leaving Steam right when their games had their worst year in a long time.

Also that trickle down bullshit worked real well in 2019, with $10 off on Metro Exodus in the US... and literally not a single other example. Players really gained a lot.
And don't tell me that free games and coupons 100% funded by Epic have anything to do with the famous 30% tax.
I forgot about Ubisoft. I really do wonder if D2 and Breakpoint not being on Steam did contribute to their failure even more.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
2Bee, you are a mod. What do you want us to discuss in this thread? I'm confused.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well... something happened. I didn't buy a couple of games I really wanted to buy last year. I'm going to have to wait another 6 months to play Control, so thats a bummer.

It would be nice if I could buy the PC games I want on the store I want to buy them from.

You get to buy it cheaper too if you choose to do so.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I don't. I think the OP is calling for some self-reflection in how people reacted to all EGS-centered news, something very important that has not happened in 25 months of its existence, but that has had some serious real life ramifications for members and mods alike on this forum.
If reading that makes you feel bad then that's not on the OP.

It's not making me feel bad. I just think that OP clearly knows that the EGS was a sore point that caused a lot of fighting and bad shit, and must know that bringing it up like this is prone to cause even more of the kind of activity he claims to want to stop.

OP likes that EGS exists and does what it does, knows that some people who don't like it hurt his friends, and is dredging it all up to take a swipe at how silly everyone was for not liking it.

If I'm wrong, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.