• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was technically announced on February 20th, but I didn't see a thread already marking the milestone.

The date was early 2013 and amidst rumor and speculation, Sony announced that it would be holding a "PlayStation Meeting." In it, they revealed the PS4, which would launch that November.

With the PS5 now seemingly on the horizon, I thought it'd be fun to look back at this momentous occasion where Knack was the first game revealed

Also thanks to Giant Bomb's "this day in history" feature for reminding me. Their vid is kinda funny in retrospect, with Brad speculating that they wouldn't use the 4 due to it being the "death number" and Patrick suggesting one of the big three would drop out by the generation's end. Also RIP Ryan Davis.

Feel free to delete if a thread has been made already and I missed it

Last edited:

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PS4's announcement event is my favorite show by Sony. Hopefully their next big press conference replicates the vibe of it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Great to also take a moment to take a look at what would eventually become Dreams:

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that they introduced paid online, which ended up with even Nintendo doing it as well. Now everyone has to pay a pointless fee just to use the internet on the console.

I would take the original Xbox One DRM if I got free online play in return.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Gs7TMNa.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i cant wait for the next playstation meeting. when the fake invites last month were sent and everyone thought they were real i got so hyped.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
And it doesn't feel like the phablet spec'd, 1980s designed PS4 is outdated, Cerny promised a nice balanced 1080p console and that's what it still does, games still come out that blow us away. Horizon, GoW, RDR2, KH3, games still be awesome.

Compare that to the higher spec'd, $900 dollar worth at launch PS3 at the same point in time, PS3 felt poo poo after 5 years. KZ3/UC3 didn't look better than their prequels in 2009 and using the PS3 felt awful with its slow UI and installations. The last few years of last gen were painful, this gen feels like it can still go on.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy. And so soon too.

Full disclosure, but I'm a hoarder when it comes to modern video games. I've probably only played 5 games this current generation, with the rest of my current gen games sitting on a shelf unopened.
It's all my guess but I would be shocked if they weren't out next year. I know how you feel. I have tons of games to play still.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
That was a great reveal.I wonder if PS4 will end up being peak Playstation for a good while,with Xbox back on track and Switch in full flight can Sony maintain this gens fantastic sales....anyway,love my PS4 and will be there day one for PS5.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'd love the PS5 to come out this year but realistically it's going to be next year, if not the year after.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the snark among my friend group, they were all ready to get an Xbox again. That tune changed pretty sharpish

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Man time flies! I will say that this gen has aged really well compared to the last. Great machines all around.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's all my guess but I would be shocked if they weren't out next year. I know how you feel. I have tons of games to play still.

I purchased both a PS4 Pro and an XBox One X last black friday but haven't opened them yet. I also have a launch XBox One still unopened, as well as a Wii U and a Switch.

I'm curious how much of a difference the PS4 Pro is from my regular PS4. The reason I haven't opened them is because hooking them up to the internet is an ordeal.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
It's a shame that they introduced paid online, which ended up with even Nintendo doing it as well. Now everyone has to pay a pointless fee just to use the internet on the console.

I would take the original Xbox One DRM if I got free online play in return.

Yeah, what a fucking joke. My wife wanted to play tetris 99, she doesnt play games all that much and it looked fun to her and i was happy she wanted to play something, also i knew it was f2p.

OOPS, "did we say free to play? Oh im sorry, you need our subscription service, please look forward to it". You need to pay in order to play what you dont need to pay for. Holy shit.

I hate playing on PC, love playing on consoles but this shit on consoles is beyond stupid. At least Sony lets you play f2p games without PS+.
This paying to play online thing is so damn annoying.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Was a good show, it's just a shame that most of the games showcased there were seriously underwhelming on release for me (Knack, Killzone, Infamous etc.) or took a long time to come good (Driveclub). Still a fantastic console though and my go-to in the living room

Good reminder that Scarlett/PS5 coming out this year definitely isn't too early.
Really can't see a release (or even an announcement) this year. 2020 will be the year of PS5.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah, what a fucking joke. My wife wanted to play tetris 99, she doesnt play games all that much and it looked fun to her and i was happy she wanted to play something, also i knew it was f2p.

OOPS, "did we say free to play? Oh im sorry, you need our subscription service, please look forward to it". You need to pay in order to play what you dont need to pay for. Holy shit.

I hate playing on PC, love playing on consoles but this shit on consoles is beyond stupid. At least Sony lets you play f2p games without PS+.
This paying to play online thing is so damn annoying.
Nintendo published it, they paid for it so you would want to subscribe. Thats the whole reason it exists.
Its $20 a year. Puyo puyo cost more than that at release I think.