• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
dfzpks15sdmozdrkxf5y.jpg

When will the Nintendo Switch sellouts end in Japan? Who knows. It's autumn, and the console is still hard to get in many places.

Last week, the Nintendo Switch topped the Japanese sales charts, moving 84,593 units (in comparison, the PS4 was the second-best seller at 23,613 units).

DO0BObPVwAALac-.jpg:large

This was earlier today at the Yodobashi Camera in Osaka's Umeda, but people are reporting that this store sold out within hours. Today, Nintendo shipped out the console to multiple retailers and cities across Japan.

So yes, shops are getting the Switch in stock, but it's flying off the shelves and, as you can see below, displays are covered in notices that read 完売 (kanbai or "sold out") or 売り切れ (urikire or "sold out").
DOzx0qrUEAAF5Ea.jpg

More at the link
https://kotaku.com/its-fall-and-the-nintendo-switch-is-still-selling-out-i-182053820

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still too early to call Switch a success... let's wait the same time next year and see if sales slow down then...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope this translates into getting all the best Japanese support.

If the Switch gets that plus a few good sports and multiplayer ports its going to get even more popular in the states as well.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder how much more the Switch will have sold than the Wii U LTD after its first year? It WILL outsell it in a year, at this rate.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna

If the Switch gets that plus a few good sports and multiplayer ports its going to get even more popular in the states as well.
I mean, it's already on track to be at half of PS4's LTD in Japan in under a year from it's launch. Maybe even by the end of this calendar year. I'd assume it's definitely going to be considered.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno guys, this could just be Nintendo artificially limiting stock to drive demand! Let's wait until 2019 to see if this thing really has legs.

/s

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia:
Nintendo_605c37_386482.jpg

I guess Starcraftland should probably be named for a mobile game nowadays

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
This is so awesome, we are going to be drowning in JRPGs on the Switch in the next few years.

Capcom and Konami gonna bring on Megaman Legends and Metal Gear

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
The switch in japan is essentially like the wii in it's first year. It's ridiculously difficult to find and when stores get some in stock, it sells out super fast.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hope it translates to more support. I am so very happy this console appears to be a success.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's wait until Switch's successor is out and see how Switch does then.
I don't know man, I say we wait until the rapture and then will be able to judge how it sells based on the people who stay.

On a more serious note, Switch is doing really well everywhere, Nintendo's communication has truly been on point and the games are great. Can't wait what they have in store for next year.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The switch in japan is essentially like the wii in it's first year. It's ridiculously difficult to find and when stores get some in stock, it sells out super fast.
Yeah, I think the demand is a bit less at this point, someone will probably post the graphs shortly, but the supply is much worse leading to a very similar situation.

They are ramping up like crazy for FY2018 though. 25-30 million.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Good for Nintendo. If I score a job soon imma cop one next year as soon as possible

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A portable Nintendo console is selling out in Japan? Damn, who would have expected that?!

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Makes sense. Japan loves handhelds and Switch can function like one with some amazing titles to play as is. If Nintendo has no plans for a 3DS successor then it's gonna continue to sell phenomenally well.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Makes sense. Japan loves handhelds and Switch can function like one with some amazing titles to play as is. If Nintendo has no plans for a 3DS successor then it's gonna continue to sell phenomenally well.
Do you really think there was ever a chance of a new DS line handheld AND Switch coexisting? Nintendo also said NDS would not replace the Gameboy line.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
A portable Nintendo console is selling out in Japan? Damn, who would have expected that?!
I distinctly remember what this community, under a different name, had to say about Switch's chances in Japan back in January.

Several threads about how it would tank in Japan due to being too big, anecdotal evidence like "I teach in Japan and my students laugh at it because too big" and a bunch of 2ch comments being peddled as convincing proof of the system's poor reception at home.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is so awesome, we are going to be drowning in JRPGs on the Switch in the next few years.

Capcom and Konami gonna bring on Megaman Legends and Metal Gear
It is the most perfect system ever made for RPGs.

That is what I am hoping for as well.

And then I hope it leads to a Japan gaming renaissance.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people still line up in crazy long lines in Japan for a Switch? Was a pretty cool sight in pictures.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine they are going have anywhere near enough stock for the holidays.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
The leafs are failing but Nintendo is not.

To early to say the console is a success, but they are having a great first year. It has increased the amount of hours I play games a week and has a solid first year lineup.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Many major companies such as Bandai Namco and Capcom said they are speeding up their development units on Switch because of its success. For example, XenoVerse 2 sold 400.000 units in a couple of months on Switch, way beyond expectations.

3DS wasn't selling out in Japan before the price cut.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More JRPGs are coming to Switch. Relax.

We alrrady got a good number confirmed.

I mean apart from SE and Koei Tecmo they all underestimated it, most of them have admitted as much.

Level 5 and Capcom really have made the worst possible choices the past few generations. Just compounded by their slow reaction to Switch.

Yup. Their handling of Switch is a symptom of their woes, not the cause.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 and Capcom really have made the worst possible choices the past few generations. Just compounded by their slow reaction to Switch.
I was actually referring to Pokemon Company for the other one, LOL. They're forced by obligation to make games for the Switch, but they were massively sour on it prior to it taking off like a rocket.

I -almost- made it about Capcom, though. Very very almost.

. . .Is Capcom getting to be a soup of shredded chum in a barrel at this point?